Customer Discussions > Baby forum

Amazon Mom now COSTS $79/year! What a racket!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 190 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 26, 2012 12:42:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2012 12:44:41 AM PST
I look at it this way for me. Amazon delivers the diapers directly to my door. Costco, BJ's, Samsclub, and Toys-r-us, are all 40 minutes away from me. By the time i packed my son up, drove up there, went in to find, and get the diapers, and drove my son BACK home, I'd lose 2+ hours and $8+ in gas, plus the major headache of shopping with a toddler. All for the joy of giving the metaphorical finger to Amazon for cutting my discount from 30% to 20%. If I got it from Bj's, Sam's Club, or Costco, I'd have to either pay THEIR membership fee, or pay extra. Not to mention, the local papers don't carry coupons, so I'd have to drive 20+ miles on Sunday to get the city paper that does carry the coupons to save the money. Yeah, not worth my time. Instead, we'll get Prime, watch streaming through Amazon, and enjoy 2 day shipping on the million things we buy on Amazon. So am I upset? sure, a little bit. Am I willing to stress over it? Absolutely not.

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 7:25:20 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 3:58:30 PM PST
Why is everyone so upset yes it sucks but hey did you expect this to last forever. I mean come on it was a great deal and nothing great lasts forever. I did not like the way they handled this it was way to sudden with them blocking any extra orders as soon as they announced the changes and cut off date. Amazon should have allowed all of the current customers to order up until the cut off date and do the extra delivery feature. They did not get over it and those that are so pissed need to grow up and quit being so cheap. If you do not like Amazon for real reasons by all means spend more some place else. I for one will pay for prime as I am true Amazon shopper and see the value in the Prime membership. Getting the extra 15% off diapers as a result will be an added bonus with my prime and MOM membership. Whole lot of people wanting something for nothing. This is still the best deal around period just in price they are better but when you factor in time and gas to get the diapers and wipes from the store the value just goes up. Amazon like all places has to make money and the way I see it I will shop with them as they are not doing anything that all other retailers do. I will still get a great value for my money and they do have great customer service but all places make mistakes once in awhile on how they do things.

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 8:21:45 PM PST
Jijh2009 says:
I have cancelled my S&S items and will be shopping at Walmart. I just can't justify paying for a prime membership for the convienence of having these items delivered to my door. I don't have a Kindle or stream videos, so these are worthless to me. I can buy the same products elsewhere for the same convienence. Also Diapers and Wipes on Walmart.com are homefree (free shipping) items and most are cheaper than the new Amazon price structure. I liked the Mom program while it lasted, but time to move on.

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 8:25:17 PM PST
Brittany says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 12:30:50 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 29, 2012 12:31:10 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 5:45:38 AM PST
Prospero says:
If it was making them reasonable money, they wouldn't discontinue/change it. They are certainly aware that doing so will lose them a few customers - so they wouldn't do it if it wasn't worth it.

They have been having trouble with mom/S&S for a couple years now. This is like the third time they have changed the program policy. The fact that Amazon was profitable last quarter doesn't mean these programs are.

I also think Amazon has seen a bit of the future and wants to streamline these programs into one package. They want to become people's "digital home" with prime. Now obviously expanding what prime is by putting their other programs in it looks terrible to you. However, for the vast majority of users it looks like Prime offers more than ever.

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 7:05:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 30, 2012 7:06:16 AM PST
S.A. says:
Wow, I cannot believe some of the comments on here. I understand you're upset the discount is gone - but to have gotten them for as long of a period as you did, you should have been grateful you were a part of it. I am going to be a new mom soon and was disappointed I missed out on the program - but I'm not outraged. The mom population is not small - so obviously you should have realized that at some point the heavy discounts would stop because it was a promotion - a long one.

Welcome to the world of business, where prices change based on supply and demand and where sometimes companies decide to keep their profits small so they can increase their customer base. They have every right to change their program once they see how much money they are making and or losing. If you're truly loyal Amazon customers - then you'd be thankful for the discounts you got and still shop with them. But customers don't work like that either nowadays. We want a cheaper price, so we'll go elsewhere to get it.

As for some of you who have issues with going to the grocery store or other local stores to get diapers - do you realize not everyone in this world is lucky enough to get things delivered to their door in 2 days? Have someone babysit for a half an hour and go get what you need. Or ask a friend to pick something up for you. Surely, there are alternatives.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 9:20:34 AM PST

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 10:34:03 AM PST
I am just signing up for Amazon Prime when it runs out being free. After all the discount on diapers pays for itself. Plus I have become hooked on 2 day shipping super saver shipping took forever. Not to mention the Kindle lending library I read a book a week so with that its basically 12 free books to read. In the end for what you get for 80 bucks it seems like a pretty good deal to me. There is free video too, not as much as netflix but enough to give me something to watch on my lunch break. Sam's charges a fee to shop there and their diapers (for my brand) cost more than here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 11:05:51 AM PST
They are not really that much more environmentally friendly when you account for all the water you use to wash them. I considered it, but I am on a well and would rather not deplete my water supply washing diapers!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 5:41:24 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 30, 2012 5:44:21 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 11:10:36 PM PST
katie says:
Really? A change.org petition to get back benefits you got for free? That site is normally utilized for social/environmental justice and government issues and you want to use it for your lost Amazon mom benefits. Some of you moms need a new hobby.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2012 12:24:44 AM PST
Idaho Mom says:
I believe amazon owns diapers.com as well...

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 9:14:43 AM PST
Jive Turkey says:
That's why any free program always says: "We have the right to alter or end this program at any time" and you always agree to it, probably without reading it (in the terms and agreements). Screwed by Amazon, false advertising? I don't think so.

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 10:57:37 PM PST
Gigi says:
do you know that prime membership can be share to 4 other *relatives? $79/5 isn't too bad!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 3:19:29 AM PST
Yes, but only the primary Prime member can receive Amazon mom benefits and the S&S discounts. None of the secondary members can.

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 9:56:52 PM PST
M.J. says:

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2012 7:43:57 AM PST
BigYummy says:
Ahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Seriously?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2012 7:49:14 AM PST
BigYummy says:
You can buy a $550 vacuum but you're complaining about Amazon Mom? Wow, just wow.

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 8:58:24 AM PST
LmLM4l says:

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 11:16:30 AM PST
Jessica Tew says:
Amazon owns Diapers.com and all their affiliated companies.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 8:00:47 PM PST
diapers.com is owned by amazon.com

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 10:02:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2012 10:04:58 AM PST
M. Greene says:
I just wanted to comment that I understand what a disappointment the Amazon Mom program is now. But I think the naysayers are thinking that as moms we felt entitled to free Prime shipping and huge discounts, but I know that wasn't the case for me. After having a newborn, we appreciated the 30% discount on diapers, and in a show of loyalty to a business that was treating us in a positive way, bought ALL of our baby supplies there. We went from spending $50/year at Amazon to $3K/year at least. When the Amazon Prime ran out, no problem. I understood it was a special promotion, and had every intention of buying the Prime membership, especially since we bought a Kindle for Christmas. But then I felt like the negative treatment started- the open prices for diapers and wipes kept climbing, then the discounts were going from 30% to 5% and then, on the eve of the changes, they refused to deliver extra shipments of diapers with the 30% discount. When I realized they also weren't going to honor my normal shipment that was to come two days after the changes, I decided that was enough. I am not outraged, and I understand that the company is here to make money, but I also find their handling of the changes distasteful. As a result, I did not sign up for Amazon Prime, I cancelled all of my subscriptions, started purchasing supplies from the local warehouse store and told all of my friends that Amazon shopping was no longer the money and timesaver it had been in the past. I know that some people aren't going to understand what all the fuss is about, but to the loyal Amazon Moms that seem so outraged, I understand. I feel like a fool for recommending the program to all my friends, and more than a little naive that I became so loyal to one company. The good news is that with the coupons that come in the mail from Pampers and Huggies, I can purchase the diapers at BJs or WalMart at or below the price I paid at Amazon. So my advice to the other Amazon Moms- stop buying from Amazon and shop locally if at all possible. You will probably get a better price anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 11:16:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2012 11:17:25 AM PST
Save Ferris says:
@ M.Greene your post summoned my thoughts up exactly. I dont feel that I am entilted to a discount but I think it is very ulgy the way they handle the whole situation.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Baby forum
Participants:  133
Total posts:  190
Initial post:  Jan 12, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions