Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Baby forum

Newborn Sleep

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 11, 2011 4:30:33 PM PDT
QuinnKate says:
My newborn only wants to sleep in our arms. If we try putting him down in the bassinet once he's asleep, he wakes right up. So frustrating, especially after I've spent 45-60 minutes nursing, burping, diapering, and soothing. We've given in the past several nights and just dozed with him in the recliner, but... Thank goodness my awesome husband is willing to help out with this.

I think it's partially related to his stuffy nose. We live in a very dry climate and use nasal saline and a humidifier, but he's still stuffy. Any safe way to keep him elevated during sleep. He'll sleep in his carseat or boppy pillow during the day, but I'm reluctant to do that at night for safety reasons. I don't want to cosleep for the same reason. Especially when I'm this exhausted. Help!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 5:07:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 12, 2011 5:08:40 AM PDT
Vanessa says:
Sorry to hear your little one is not cooperating with a bit of sleep. My son also loved to be held and woke whenever I put him down- even when he was sound asleep after nursing! We had a pretty severe problem with reflux, and like your son's stuffy nose, had to keep him elevated as he would choke in his sleep. Therefore, he slept in an infant chair like the Fisher-Price Infant-To-Toddler Rocker, Blue/Green (Discontinued by Manufacturer) for the first few months, as it was the only one of countless things we tried that would work. Since then, they have invented this thing called the http://www.amazon.com/Nap-Nanny-Chill-Minky-Sage/dp/B004M3IDQY/ref=sr_1_4?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1313150810&sr=1-4. It's not really cheap and I admit I never used one, because it did not exist when my son was born. But the first time I saw it, i wished it had been. Best of luck & have patience. The beginning is so tough and there is very little sleep usually to be had no matter what you do. Congratulations & hang in there. It will get better! :)

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 5:47:57 AM PDT
Pitanga says:
Our baby loves to be held too and she is having gas and spits up quite a bit. We decided to elevate one end of her crib mattress a couple of days ago and it has really seemed to help. We put a relatively flat pillow under one end of the mattress so now it is on an incline. I'm starting to put her in her crib when she starts showing signs of tiredness, I'll rock her for a couple of minutes and place her in the crib while she's drowsy (I'm trying to stop her habit of having to fall asleep in my arms... I'm exhausted all the time because of it!). I'm still experimenting too at this point, we are first time parents and she's only 5 weeks old... it's a pretty steep learning curve! Good luck!!! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 4:49:08 PM PDT
Tralala says:
Do research on-line. There are lots and lots of parents who've been in the same situation, and once their baby was put to bed on their tummies, they slept well. I know, I know. . the SIDS issue - you'll have to weigh that one for yourself, but 2 parents on one of the forums had babies that died of SIDS while on sleeping on their backs. Our little guy was 6 weeks old, would fall asleep in our arms, we'd put him to sleep in his cradle on his back and 10 minutes later, he was awake and crying - it was so fruatrating and exhausting! Three days ago, I flipped him to his tummy, and he's been sleeping 18 hours a day at up to 4.5 hour stretches and it's been heavenly. Again, you'll have to weigh this for yourself, but go on-line and research this - you're not alone!

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 6:39:58 PM PDT
Katie says:
You should try putting baby down while still partially awake so he can learn to self-soothe. Also he won't freak out when he wakes up and he is no longer where he fell asleep. Wouldn't you be frightened? He's probably waking only a little when he is settling in to bassinet, but gets scared by the movement from comfortable sleeping spot to unknown bed. Sleep training as in getting baby to sleep through the night should not be tried until at least 6mo, but helping your baby settle into a routine and learning that the bed is for sleeping is important and can be done as early as possible. Try giving baby a pacifier or guiding his hands to his mouth, and gently pat baby's tummy, arm, or leg to try to calm him down. If he goes nuts you can pick him up and soothe until he's almost asleep and try again.

Also second buying an elevated sleeper if it will help. If your baby's problem is congestion or gas those elevated sleepers work wonders, I have also just used an infant swing for sleep in the early months. Apart from keeping baby slightly upright, the constant motion makes them feel as if they are being rocked. Add it to a swaddle, and you have a second set of hands!

As for the SIDS sleeping on stomach issue, sleeping on their stomach doesn't give a baby SIDS, but it is a huge factor. Since Back to Sleep was introduced SIDS deaths have gone down more than 60%. People who argue that sleeping on their stomach won't kill a baby are correct, but that in conjunction with a small undetectable brain defect that some babies are born with or some other factors could.

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 5:09:18 AM PDT
Katie Kuras says:
QuinnKate, stuffy nose is 100% normal in newborns- no matter where you live. They have immature/underdeveloped nasal passages and often times they even spit up into their nose a little (or a lot! lol) so he is going to be stuffy and grunty for a couple months until he outgrows it.

Also, it is also 100% normal for him not to want to be set down. My youngest daughter was the SAME way and yes it is exhausting! Especially since she would often nurse for 30, 45, even 60 minutes (which is also normal). Once I finally let go of watching the clock or having ANY kind of expectations, it actually got better because I had realized I was the one who had the problem, not her. It was better when that is what I expected of her.

My word of advice is- GET A SLING! A ring sling would be a life saver for you right now! If he doesn't like it, try a different kind or just keep trying, sometimes they have to get used to it. Or if he seems fussy, just keep him in it shushing and swaying until he calms down and he will probably crash.

As far as at night, do you swaddle? Use white noise (all night long and not the kind that shuts off after 30 min)? Do you try to give a binky if he wakes or just gently patting him in his bassinet before picking him up? We used an arms reach co-sleeper but she often wanted to lay right next to me. I resisted at first but I did finally gave in and it was better for both of us. It only lasted a couple months but now I miss those days!

Well good luck and congrats!

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 11:49:25 AM PDT
Susan says:
I used a Miracle Blanket -Baby Swaddling Blanket -Beige with our youngest when he would not sleep out of our arms. Until he grew out of it, it was a life saver.

I also agree with elevating the bed a little. Both of my kids had reflux, and I just stuck a phone book under the mattress on the rails at one end and that helped tremendously.

I agree with the others--put him down when he's still a little awake, that way he isn't used to being rocked to sleep. And I also agree with white noise--a small desk fan pointed away from the crib works wonderfully, and keeps the air circulating in the room, which is very important for newborns.

Congratulations! And good luck.

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 8:39:39 AM PDT
Miss M says:
I second the Miracle blanket! I didn't get one until my daughter was almost too old to use it (she was 11 weeks and I think they recommend up to 14) but it was still useful. The swaddling works wonders.
Neither of my children would sleep in their bassinette and sometimes I wonder if maybe they would have eventually gotten used to it if I had been patient... but being is HARD when you're so sleep deprived!! The only thing that worked for both my children was sleeping in their swings. For my son, he needed the motion. I buckled him in and kept the swing arms reach from me. I used an extra blanket for support, taking care to have it nowhere near his face. For my daughter I used a craddle swing. She needed to have some sort of a elevation, because like your child, she had nasal issues. When I had her laying flat on her back I could hear a struggle to breathe which scared me. She would ONLY sleep in her swing for her first 4 months. I used the buckle for extra safety and we had the swing right by our bed. I'm sure no doctor would recommend putting your child to bed in a swing but for us, it was the only thing that worked!

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 9:49:57 AM PDT
Katie Kuras says:
The problem with sleeping in the swing and other non flat and elevated surfaces is not only their faces turning into the soft surfaces causing them to rebreathe air, but also that their heads tilt forward (chin to chest) and that can make it hard for them to breathe. NOT saying I didn't put my baby to sleep in her swing when I was sleep deprived, but I also just wanted to make sure everyone knew ALL the risks :)

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 1:47:30 PM PDT
I'd recommend swaddling first. I don't know if your LO is a roller, but mine is now (at 10 weeks) and my nephew has been since day one (now at 4 weeks). But if they tend to roll I wouldn't prop up the entire matress.

My MIL has used something similar to the nap nanny that V.Coutu mentioned for mine overnight before (since monkey tends to want to be held ALL THE TIME) and haven't had a problem. With some of the things that have them "sitting up" (swings, car chairs, etc) you do have to be careful about the chin to chest issue (Dr. Sears talks about that on his website). Some things with a slight lesser incline, like a bouncer, might work for you also.

I've used the boppy as a substitute mama's arms for naps up to 3 hours and no issues, but haven't done that overnight (cuz one's she OUT in the boppy I can put her in crib/bassinet). I guess with that you want to make sure that the boppy goes under the back of the neck, not the actual head so it doesn't do the chin/chest thing.

Hang in there!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2011 2:14:50 PM PDT
Same boat here...our daughter would wake the instant she was put down in the bassinet. I highly recommend swaddling, it prevents their little arms and legs from thrashing and waking them. Also, our little girl has reflux so she is in pain when laying flat. We borrowed a nap nanny from a friend to see if it would help, and it is like MAGIC! She slept a full six hours last night and was not nearly as distressed when she woke for her feeding. She was crying from hunger and not pain like the last six weeks where the acid reflux was waking her almost every hour on the hour. If you can, find a nap nanny you can borrow and try the DreamSwaddle by Mum 2 Mum is amazing...its' like a swaddler for dummies : )

Best of luck and know that every day it really will get better! I promise! Oh and remember that you CANNOT SPOIL a newborn so do everything you can to make him comfortably enough to sleep...that way YOU can sleep too!!

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 10:03:47 AM PDT
You can buy the book Happiest Baby on the Block. I thought it was crap, but it worked. My mother, who had never heard of swaddling, thought it was a horrible idea until she saw how it worked. Our baby didn't like to sleep when it was quiet. So, I bought the homedics sound spa lullaby for $19.99 at Bed Bath and Beyond. It has a heart beat sound that will go all night long. It's gotten to the point that I forget to turn it off and don't even hear it. Also, we played music in the background. Our baby started sleeping through the night around 3 months. She will even fall asleep on her own in her crib. Lastly, I bought at Target the Aden and Anais (?) swaddlers. They are extra large and will take you for several months. Babies like to have their feet pulled into them for some reason and if they flail around it will wake them up. Good luck. One day your baby will figure it out on their own.

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 7:43:52 AM PDT
Swaddling works wonders for my little guy. He's almost 8 weeks old and we alternate between his sleeping in his cradle and his car seat. The car seat is not propped up at a very high angle at night when he sleeps in it so that he's in a more"normal" sleeping position. If your little one does sleep better on their tummy make sure you take any kind of bumper pads off the crib or cradle. The air flow needs to be top notch if you put the baby to sleep on their tummy. Some studies have indicated that SIDS has been aggravated by the carbon dioxide levels that can be trapped in cribs and cradles that have closed sides or bumper pads that slow or block air flow.

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 5:18:38 PM PDT
Flower Chica says:
Swaddle swaddle swaddle!! Babies love it. Now this is just my take on sleep training ...but I don't think there's anything wrong with having to help your child sleep. Kids learn to self soothe in different time frames. Just like women in other cultures who almost never put a child down we also have western philosophies that dictate how we should be. I'm pretty sure all methods work and probably everything in between. I always say let your maternal instinct kick in here. Your child may not be ready to sleep away from you. No matter what books you read, no one has the recipe for the perfect child. And if your child isn't ready to sleep away from you...then maybe they aren't.

Should you choose to bed share, do it safely. Should you choose to co-sleep that can work too. Do swaddle safely too.

Finally - your baby is a newborn....right now you are his whole world. It's only natural that he wants to cling to you. See how many shifts daddy can take , but I say indulge him as much as he needs. His independence will come. My newborn was the same way. She did take well to swaddling but there were plenty of nights where only sleeping in my arms would do for her. I eventually got her primarily in her co-sleeper, and at 7 months I finally evicted her from my bedroom (without tears). Just listen to your child's cues....you will know when they are ready for a change.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 5:19:29 PM PDT
On the note of putting your baby to sleep on their bellies, there is a strong correlation with mattress off-gassing and SIDS. I would recommend first covering your mattress with a product like Harlow's Earth Crib Mattress Cover. Their product is based on a study in New Zealand where since publicly promoting a mattress wrapping campaign in 1996, there hasn't been a single reported death on a properly wrapped mattress. This product can give you some peace of mind while you put your little one to sleep on their tummies or their backs.Harlow's Earth Crib Mattress Cover

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 4:51:18 AM PDT
Try putting him in his bouncy seat or his swing (strapped in of course). My son was the same way because he had a broken collar bone. Just realize that babies are getting used to alot and their little nervous systems are overloaded. If it helps him to sleep on you or in your arms just make it as safe as possible and do it. These baby days pass by fast.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 4:52:41 AM PDT
Would you want to be swaddled if your nose was stuffed up? I wouldn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 8:58:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 9:14:50 AM PDT
teresa laura says:
hmm, maybe babies want something else than we do :)
One of the reasons why babies especially newborns may feel more comfortable and safe in swaddle or in restricted space is that last month or two they have spent in an uterus their space was restricted and water was "touching" their body..
Someone mentioned here other cultures and different approaches... one of the example is central Europe where they put newborns in something similar to swaddle over the centuries. some exapmle: http://www.oliwer.sk/zavinovacky/744-detska-zavinovaka-exclusive.html
So why not, maybe it helps.

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 11:08:43 PM PDT
I too was having the same issue with my third child. I ended up swaddling her with a swaddle meSummer Infant 2 Pack Cotton Knit Swaddleme, Green/White blanket and placing her in a Fisher-Price Newborn Rock 'n Play Sleeper, Yellow. It is not too espensive and worked wonders. It makes them feel like they are being held and sits them up a little bit. My daughter now, 7 weeks is sleeping through the night in it. However, once they can start rolling over you need to switch to a crib, my cousin found her son half way out one day.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2012 5:40:34 AM PDT
try letting him sleep in his bouncy seat.
my son was the same way. his head hit the pillow and his eyes would pop open.
you may have to let him sleep in your arms for a while.

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 5:42:16 AM PDT
my son had a broken collar bone from delivery. i think being held felt better than lying down.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Baby forum (568 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Baby forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Aug 11, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions