Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL
Customer Discussions > Baby forum

Hyland's teething tablets

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 98 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 9:48:59 PM PDT
laazykat says:
But there are many reports saying that there is inconsistent levels of belladonna in Hyland's teething tablets, so some people fear the possibility of overdosing on belladonna. My friends love this stuff, but I won't take that risk.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 9:19:39 AM PDT
T. Ray says:
Don't let her swallow it. Use your finger to rub it on her gums until it dissolves. It only takes a few seconds.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 9:47:45 PM PDT
I let my baby chew on licorice root sticks I buy at the health food store from the bulk herb section. Sometimes rub clovebud oil on gums. She loves the sticks though- tastes good & numbs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 8:02:11 PM PDT
love them!! Works amazingly and helps my little girl sleep as well. She started cutting teeth at 4 months. And she liked them better than the oragel :) would highly recommend

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 8:04:22 PM PDT
love them!! Works amazingly and helps my little girl sleep as well. She started cutting teeth at 4 months. And she liked them better than the oragel :) would highly recommend

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 9:00:23 PM PDT
I love these, as does my son. When they discontinued them for awhile I tried Camilla, Oragel, etc. but nothing worked as well or was as easy to administer. I put the tablets in my hand and he gobbles them up. Much better than trying to wrestle Oragel in his mouth or convince him to let me squeeze in liquid The tablets work quickly and best when using before pain gets to far. So if he's teething I give them to him at bedtime. I'm elated they are back, and would recommend these to any mother.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 11:00:55 PM PDT
Leelou says:
I use these as a last resort because I don't like to give my son meds unless necessary - even if they are homeopathic. After prolonged periods of extreme fussiness he falls asleep within 2 minutes of taking these pills EVERY TIME. there have been times when I've had to hold him while he sleeps because he would keep waking with sudden crying from pain. After taking these things I could feel his body finally give in to a deep sleep.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 12:09:23 AM PDT
My twins are 5 years old now, and I have used Hyland's teething tablets, bruise ointments, you name it and I recommend them to everyone who asks. One of my twins had a horrible time sleeping, yet when I discovered Hyland's "Calms", it made a world of difference. For my children, and myself, Hyland's is the way go go.

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 7:38:53 AM PDT
Jana E. says:
They work for my 5-year-old. He's cutting his 6 year molars, and they have eased his pain.

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 5:24:49 AM PDT
Kristin Gum says:
They contain Belladonna which has been linked to hallucinations in infants and children. I would not give these to my son. Instead, we use Natrabio Teething drops. All natural, no Belladonna or other harsh additives. There was also a recall on Hylands teething tablets.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2012 1:22:54 PM PDT
Andy says:
there was a recall on the whole lot back in 2010. since then the 're-did' it. even gave the bottle a new look and such.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 4:16:31 PM PDT

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 3:03:11 PM PDT
Stephlicht says:
I felt this worked the best for my child. I even tried it myself when I had a headache one day. I used the same dose as I as giving my son. It worked like a charm!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 11:46:59 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 12:20:39 PM PDT
Rivka says:
which does not really matter because homeopathic medicine does not actually have anything but sugar in it, the rest is so diluted that it is not detectible, that is the base of why this is a scam,

It's not dangerous, it's just a placebo and a scam.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 10:37:16 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 31, 2012 10:55:36 AM PDT]

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 7:58:48 PM PST
The reason doctors are against it is because it is not FDA approved which means the belladonna is not consistent dosages in every pill. Remember cocaine was a sought after drug and "natural" remedy.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 9:31:23 PM PST
L. Manzell says:
I have been using Homeopathics for years with wonderful results for both my family and pets. Many Homeopathics have saved and extended the lives of both. The dilutions are powerful and ingredients are rendered non toxic because of their dilutions under the strictest guidlines of The Homœopathic Pharmacopœia of the United States (Link Below). I have used Hyland's Teething tablets and many other homeopathics with my son when doctors could nold not resolve his horrible colic and teething pain. I always recommend this product to parents. His suffering was resolved and we both could not have been more relieved.
While the FDA does much good in many ways, it is looking to regulate everything and witch hunts come often & many are without merit. There are many FDA approved medications & food additives that are harmful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2013 9:23:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2013 9:31:52 AM PST
Lionors says:
With all due respect, I'll trust a pediatrician over an unknown poster. Nobody gives their child Tylenol 3. Ever. I would NEVER give my child belladonna, *especially* if there are no warnings on how much to give the child.

This is from Even in small doses, belladonna can have nasty side effects. Though the dosage in teething tablets is very small, .0002 mg per tablet, the recommended dosage is two to three tablets four times a day. If given this amount, an infant would ingest .0024 mg per day. This is well below the overdose amount of 600 mg; however; an adult can see side effects well below this level, and an infant has a significantly lower body mass than an adult. There have been reports of adverse side effects in infants using these tablets for teething.

The bottom line is that any amount of belladonna, especially when intended for an infant, is not safe to use. Teething is unpleasant, but there are many options for helping your child get through the pain. Biting biscuits and teething rings relieve the pressure. When all else fails, talk to your pediatrician about using infant acetaminophen or teething gels that are belladonna free. Your infant will be happy and comfortable again in no time, without the possible complications of poison in the teething tablets.

Effects of therapeutic doses of belladonna: Belladonna has many side effects in therapeutic doses including dry mouth, urinary retention, flushing, papillary dilation, constipation, confusion and delirium. In larger doses belladonna causes vomiting, paralysis, hallucinations, coma and even death.

That's not from a drug company, that's just from a general resource. I've seen several other 'natural' remedies recommended on this site, so I don't think anyone can claim they're just a shill for drug companies.

Maybe part of the complaints of colic are coming from the side effects of the tablets.
This is utterly unsafe. I would no more give my child belladonna to soothe her teething than I would give her foxglove to wake her up.

BTW, I fully expect this post will get entirely negative reviews, since I dared to disagree with the homeopath crowd, but I firmly believe parents need to look at each medication they give their child *without* allowing whatever bias they have to affect their judgement. Not all homeopathic remedies are effective, and not all drugs are evil.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2013 9:25:57 AM PST
Lionors says:
Yes, and what people forget is that there were a number of cases where well meaning mothers dosed their kids to death on laudanum.

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 5:28:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2013 5:33:27 PM PST
NOLA bride says:
When they list Belladonna in the ingredients list, what I think some of you have been missing (or not doing any research) is that it is a homeopathic and safely/naturally DERIVED FORM of it. It's not straight up Belladonna. Also, the FDA tested each ingredient in its entirety before allowing the new product to be put back out on the shelves. Derived means it's not in its original form. I researched the product fully before just reading one or 2 ingredients on the back of a box or going to and screaming "well that's it, I'm not giving this to my child." I'm not calling anyone out or trying to hurt anyone's feelings, but I really think people should do more research before complaining about a product. One source is simply not enough.

When my 4 month old started cutting 4 teeth at once, I decided to go the homeopathic route, and he has responded very well to these tablets. I highly recommend them. I find them safe and effective.

And finally, if you haven't used the product personally, please don't review it!!!

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 3:25:05 PM PDT
Janet says:
These work like magic for my very unhappy little 18 month old with his new molars. In 5 minutes it's a whole new personality. 2 thumbs up!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2013 11:15:59 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 3, 2013 11:21:45 PM PDT]

Posted on May 13, 2013 11:59:34 AM PDT
I don't have teething children but I have successfully used homeopathic products for years and can say from my experience that if you choose a formula for your specific condition (and here we are talking about teething children) they work, are not harmful in any way. BTW, homeopathic products are in the official U.S. Pharmacopeia. As for the belladonna in the teething formula, having an understanding of how homeopathics are formulated would address your concern. By the time it is shaken and diluted it is not like going out and making a tea from, a belladonna plant.

Posted on May 21, 2013 8:11:27 PM PDT
Ming Chan says:
I just read an article about this. The fda got some complaints that it has some toxins that causes brain damage. Dont believe me, google it... I had to discard it right away. It was called for a recall. Stores still sell them. Be careful.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Baby forum (567 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Baby forum
Participants:  77
Total posts:  98
Initial post:  Apr 6, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 19, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions