Customer Discussions > Baby forum

Does Walking At Nine Months Old Hinder A Baby's Intelligence Level In The Future?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 80 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 12:28:19 AM PST
There you go- one up the hygeniest by saying " my 9 month old can so sun salutation" :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 5:23:25 AM PST
suzieg says:
The dental assistant simply displayed her ignorance. My middle son walked at 8 months. He was doing multiplication at 3 years. Although my other two children excel and are successful, my middle one has a unique thought process - he thinks things through - beyond the norm. He's now 28 and is in a creative career where he does amazing things. In spite of him having a "nerdy" brain, he has a thriving social life.

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 9:04:16 AM PST
My daughter now 11 yrs old was an early everything sitting, crawling and walking. She is a special needs child with ADD and a learning disorder. Before being medicated she was a D student. Now she get mostly Bs so the medication did work. She still had to study twice or three times as much as other students though.

My son was "normal" and a little late at walking. He just turned six and he is labeled a "gifted and talented" at his school. He has a very extensince vocabulary and his memorization skills are of the chart. He literally forgets nothing. Its like a photographic memory. I'm a nursing student and believe me its a lot to learn. My son who was 5 at the time helped me learn the bones, the lobes of the brain, the muscles and the parts of the spine.

It very different for me having a special needs child and a gifted child. I don't know if the early development has anything to do with it. But for my daughter who has ADD I think doing everything early was just because she has ADD.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011 9:22:27 AM PST
O. Franklin says:
Would you mind providing some examples of the experiences you are referring to? Thanks.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 10:13:07 AM PST
Deanna Tate says:
My son walked at the age of 9 months also. He's 25 years old now and his intelligence wasn't affected by walking early... he is a very intelligent young man and is a lead man at a farm equipment factory. He could have done anything he wanted but loves this job because he can share his ideas for improving the equipment and the company actually listens to him. He has helped re-design several pieces of equipment to make them safer and easier to use!

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 11:11:12 AM PST
Craig Mann says:
Wow. Just happened to notice this thread while looking for baby products (have an 11 month old). 95% of these posts are fueled by mompetition (which is exactly what has caused this thread in the first place) ... are you people posting to educate or brag?

Here it is simplified so maybe a hole can be dug for this thread: everyone is different.

I guarantee you will not find a double-blind, third-party-funded study that suggests that there is a link between walking ability and cognitive learning ability. If you know of such a publication, please share a link to the document here. Otherwise, people, really? Can we be more egocentric?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 11:27:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2012 11:28:53 AM PST
... says:
Cleo...
great name
You too must have supernatural abilities if you can recall 'refusing' to walk/crawl at 8 months or so.
Please do the world a favor and have your brain donated to science. This incredible story certainly suggests you have a brain that is superior to all of us mere mortals.

p.s. What was delivery like?
Two spanks on the bottom or just one?

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 1:25:01 PM PST
Don't feed the troll, folks, and it will quietly go away...

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 4:55:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2012 5:56:29 PM PDT
Flower Chica says:
Do people seriously think there's a correlation between reading and crawling? I'm sorry - it just sounds absurd. I would think walking early and temperament are more connected than reading and walking. This is one of those ideas that I think was born out of our generations futile attempts to raise perfect people. We're so hell bent on raising geniuses that we desperately look for proof that we are doing the right thing. Kids walk when they are ready - plain and simple. Yet somehow I can see some misguided parent knocking their baby over when they try to stand because they fear it will somehow reduce their reading ability if they stand up and walk.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 5:55:07 PM PDT
Deanna Tate says:
My son walked at 9 months old, read at the age of 4. Knew the alphabet and numbers to 100 by the age of 3. He did well in school and had a very happy disposition. He is now 25, Lead man of a section in a farm equipment factory, with between 4 and 6 people under him. Expert welder with no training, solves design problems,again with no training, and absolutely loves his job. If anything walking early is a sign of high intelligence and should be encouraged. So I agree,walking early does not make your child less intelligent and people need to wake up and stop being so ignorant about child development. Let your child grow the way they were meant to...the rest will work itself out!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 6:33:47 PM PDT
Nita D says:
Must have been a very old study!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 11:50:08 AM PDT
NiteOOwl says:
Tree Hugger - My first child never crawled, either. She just stood up and started walking at 9 months. At that time, 1964 (yes I'm old), early walking was a sign of intelligence and it proved to be true in her case.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 8:17:29 AM PDT
Lizzy K says:
My son never crawled. He scooted around for a while and was up and walking before a year old (I don't remember exactly when). He taught himself to read between 3 and 4 years old and is now considered to be gifted by his teachers. He's also gifted at math. I don't buy those studies, children are far too varied for one theory to explain how all children work.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 11:03:18 AM PDT
Stacy says:
Unless I hear it from my child's pediatrician, I try not to worry about that kind of corrective advice/theories from other people. Being a mom is hard enough without getting involved in all the "mompetition" going on. Don't let others make you feel like you're doing things wrong just because your children turn out differently from theirs! A loving, happy childhood is all we have control over providing. The rest has to come as life determines.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 4:59:43 PM PDT
After spending the last 15 years working as a statistician, I can guarantee you that I could compile a statistically significant study showing there is a correlation between amount of dirt eaten as a child and future IQ scores. Bottom line, there are just some things that don't necessarily correlate in a STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANT way. Yes, there may be correlations of some degree, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Children come in all shapes and sizes. They crawl, walk and talk at different ages. There are so many variants that saying one single attribute predicts future intelligence is ludicrous. Congrats on having such a sharp grand baby. May he be a blessing for you and your family.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 4:46:45 AM PDT
She was being bitchy. Just ignore her. If anything, your granddaughter will learn more because she's walking and exploring. Anyway, one of the ways that people gauge a baby's progress is by looking at when they hit certain milestones.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 4:58:10 AM PDT
S. B. says:
I walked at 6.5 months and was always top of my class. I tested at a very high I.Q. in elementary school. Graduated from high school and college with honors, and now moving on to graduate school. I never crawled and I do read slowly, but that hasn't affected my intelligence.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 1:04:15 PM PDT
Oh brother! Why would this woman say something as silly as that -- knowing full well that this unsolicited "advice" would surely hurt your feelings? My son (now 24 years old -- 25 in a few months) walked at 9 months and ran at 10 months! He is an avid reader with an extremely high IQ. I just remember my top job was to keep a watchful eye to keep him out of danger. He would head directly for staircases! This woman should mind her own business and keep her comments to herself. Your precious grand baby will be fine. Congrats on becoming a Grand Ma Ma!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 5:59:04 AM PDT
I have seen so many home taught children that walk earlier,speak fluently, clearly, better manners and a LOVING HOME. Believe me thats whats important. Also going to Sunday school adds moral training which sex education just teaches the opposite. We are in the ME generation. Anything that I think is good, is ok to do.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 2:04:03 PM PDT
Rachael says:
My child walked very well at ten months. He is only 2 so we have yet to see how this affects reading--BUT, he walked so early that the only crawl he ever did was a sniper crawl on elbows, with his legs dragging behind him. Because of this, he had very weak wrists, poor finger coordination and a weak pincer grasp, and had to have occupational therapy for fine motor skills from 21-24 months. There is truth in the saying that you must "crawl before you walk". He is in speech therapy, but it is for genetic issues involving his mouth and tongue--restricted oral movement due to overgrowth of the lingual frenulum. He is incredibly smart and met most of his milestones well ahead of schedule (we know because he was tested and evaluated by professionals multiple times before starting therapy).

As a side note--I walked well at 11 or 12 months and was reading at 3 years. At 10 years I was tested and found to be a college level reader (they called it "grade 13" because there wasn't really a category set up for that high of a level). The only issues I had during my school years were with certain kinds of mathematics. I believe genes play the largest part in academic success, with parental support coming in a close second.

It was wrong of the woman to brag and even worse that she belittled another person's child.

If a child shows interest in a skill, promote it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 10:25:47 PM PDT
My older son was crawling very early and walking earlier than other children his age as well, it has nothing to do with intelligence. He was doing calculus at college level in 5th grade. So much for these theories. He also became a career marine and served 2 terms in Afghanistan. He is 6'5 very handsome and has a very high IQ. But not just IQ his Emotional intelligence is outstanding as well. No mother can stop bragging about her children :) The kind and courteous thing to do is just be considerate of others. No child develops in the exact same way. I have 2 sons. Equally smart equally ambitious my younger joined the army and also served two terms in Afghanistan. He wants to be a Police man when he gets out of the army. He said "I was born to protect the innocent". He went from sitting, to grabbing onto the table and walking holding on to the furniture. Almost no crawling at all. Your baby is Your baby, every single one is precious and a joy to watch as they learn and develop. Don't listen to anyone, just cherish every single moment, they grow up way too fast :)

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 9:39:40 AM PDT
Beans says:
Just to clarify the study said that crawling helps a child with reading. It had nothing to do with IQ, math skills or being a good person.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 10:15:15 AM PDT
Craig Mann says:
@Beans, I think your study may be correct because clearly posters are failing to READ the follow-up comments... they are only responding to the title so they can brag about themselves or their children.

I am still wondering when someone is going to actually CONTRIBUTE to the conversation by providing links to publications/studies.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 11:10:35 PM PDT
Bronson says:
that dentist assistant doesnt no nothing. all of mines familyies started walking like 12-16 mounths old or somthing and wear all not tu smart. who does she thnk she is. Id a custed her out. its like shes saing you did not walk un till you was 15 mounths then you shold be smat or somthing. that is not true.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 2:22:25 PM PDT
T. umbel says:
Oh my gosh, I can't even believe I am reading this conversation. I have 13 children and my first (21) and latest (1) both walked at 9 months. My children have always been way beyond the (average) child development milestones. They are very bright kids and so are their parents. The biggest thing for me has to been to stimulate them, give them lots of opportunities to experience life and to be there to support them. Whether they turn out genius or not is really not my concern. I want them to be the best that THEY can be, not what other people can be. My 21 has just graduated from UVA with a degree in Biology. The 1 year old runs the house. Give children the best of support and leave them the heck alone.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Baby forum (563 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Baby forum
Participants:  63
Total posts:  80
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions