Customer Discussions > Baby forum

the duggars way too many???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 136 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 19, 2012 11:33:27 PM PDT
Alfred Yale says:
I take it that none of the "Duggar Defenders" has seen the outtakes where the younger kids refuse to listen to Michelle and the older teen girls act-up? I'm just saying...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 10:32:42 PM PDT
I've never heard her say anything about using her miscarriage as an excuse to have so many children. Actually, to my knowledge, as an avid 17, 18, &19 kids and counting watcher, she only mentioned her first miscarriage once or twice in reference to that child being in Heaven waiting for them and watching Juiblee. She also never said that she wants more children, she said "whatever God has planned." It's really none of our business their feelings on birth control or weather they have 2 or a hundred children. If the Lord wills it, then that is what will happen. I'm sure from time to time the older kids may get annoyed with having to help out so much but if you watch the show you can see how much love everyone has for each other and how much fun they have together. It's not our place to judge especially because it is obvious they support them well no matter what ways they do it. Besides I'd rather have a house full of giggles and love & buy clothes at thrift stores than to only have one or two and be well off.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 10:34:37 PM PDT
so true lol

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 1:08:09 AM PDT
Nader says:
No matter what I read about how "its none of our business" I still can not agree with that. It may not be our business now because it doesn't affect us but 50 years from now it will affect our children's children when there are not enough resources to tend to everyone. We already now have a shortage of water what do you think will happen 50 years from now when by then the duggars will have about 300-1000 off springs? come on wake up to reality!!!
Also, I don't believe its god's will. God puts on this planet and says here you go figure it out and try not to screw up too much. In my opinion god/higher power decides when we're born and maybe when we die.
The example I can use as to why I don't believe it's god's will for her to have all those children is with that same logic then it should be god's will to have children be born in places where they can't eat and then at age 1 die of malaria, I doubt that god would will that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 7:44:10 AM PDT
MamaJ says:
Nader, You say, "In my opinion god/higher power decides when we're born and maybe when we die."

Well, if the higher power/God decides when each person is born, then by your very own words each of the Duggar's children are MEANT to be here.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 9:24:49 AM PDT
Nader says:
I guess I should have clarified what i meant which is I think he or she decides when you're born not if you're born. The Duggars decide to get pregnant, they get pregnant and then god decides which child they will get and when the child will be born.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 5:09:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2012 5:17:44 PM PDT
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-tennessee-man-has-30-kids-20120518,0,4036567.story

The aforementioned article is about a man who has twenty four kids....is it still okay to withhold judgment?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 10:50:20 PM PDT
MamaJ says:
How is this article comparable to the Duggar's situation? None of the variables are even remotely similar? This man has 24 kids by 11 different women, only makes minumum wage "when he is working", and provides less than 1.50 to some of the children each month in support. I've read other articles on this situation and most of the mother's are on welfare, medicaid, and get section 8 housing.

If you are fathering children that society has to supply the barest of essentials to, then yes, we should absolutely judge.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 4:35:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2012 4:53:02 PM PDT
@ mamaj

Whipping Plug said: "Since when is it our job to judge? My goodness what suits one doesn't have to suit another..." so I was responding to that.

But since you put your hat into the ring-Is it your contention that judgments are okay when YOU don't agree with someone else's choices?

Judgments are okay IF (and only if) the majority(?) of society doesn't agree with the individual's choices?
Judgements are okay based on MONEY-and you would not have a problem with this but for the fact they are on medicaid?
Yeah, right!
So if the Duggards suddenly had to get on medicaid then it would be okay to judge?
Please! The issue is the MULTIPLE children and the aforementioned article also has multiple children. Of course all of the variables are not equal but the fact remains that there multiple children in both instances and one makes you feel some sort of disgust and the other makes you want to storm the boards and defend personal freedoms etc al.
My point is that the same disdain you feel for the subject of the aformentioned article is the same disgust that others feel for the Duggards-why aren't they afforded the same respect for their opinions that you are for yours?
Judgment is a very slippery slope.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 11:56:52 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 24, 2012 12:23:03 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 12:22:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 5:24:21 AM PDT
MamaJ says:
Twofingers peace said

"Judgements are okay based on MONEY-and you would not have a problem with this but for the fact they are on medicaid?"

First off, I'm confused because you quoted someone else's post (Whipping Plug) but asked me the question? I never said I was "digusted" or showed "disdain". Those are your words, not mine.

No, my judgment is not based on money. My judgment is based on this man's continued lack of responsibility and his 24 kids suffering for his lack of responsibility. He continued having children KNOWING his situation didn't allow for actually caring for those children.When a child's most basic needs are not being met 24 times over (I've read some of the articles about this man) then yes, society needs to look into his situation and make a judgment.

The large family is the ONLY thing in common...and when you look at all of the other aspects, there is no similarity at all. That would be like saying my family is like every other family in the world that has four children or lives in a yellow house. Absurd.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 2:43:26 AM PDT
you rude moron! why don't you go to oregon and put yourself out of your misery. miserable...miserable...unhappy moronic cow! lets hope yours is a short life.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 7:16:36 AM PDT
Kids don't need to be protected that much. The Duggers need to realize that there are a lot of very good people out there (other than their close friends who are just like them). Kids need to be able to make their own choices (good and bad) and have the opportunity to make mistakes. How are they supposed to know how strong they are if they are always kept in a protective bubble?
I don't think that having that many kids is a great idea. First of all, if adults want to have babies, they need to be the ones to take care of them and raise them, not their older children. They need the opportunity to be kids and not get stuck taking care of mom's and dad's responsibilities. If Mrs. Dugger and her hubby didn't dump their work on their kids, I guarantee they wouldn't have as many.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 7:19:38 AM PDT
I am not saying kids don't need any responsibilities at all. They just don't need to do it all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 6:42:01 PM PDT
Wow- your name screams stalker-loser & your post makes no sense

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 6:43:40 PM PDT
Let's hope you don't have the opportunity to pass on your inferior genetic mess

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 9:15:00 AM PDT
applelove says:
This world has a lot of bad bad parents who should be bashed. When people have negative things to say about the Duggars who are a very religious, giving, caring family...that is just sad.

As far as money they do a lot to save money. They even have a blog that tells how they save on things,like making soap, baby wipes ect.

No family is perfect but I would be willing to bet non of the Duggars will be committing any crimes, going to jail or ever living of the government.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 8:15:49 PM PDT
Judgment is never okay. YOU are not God, and GOD is the only one with a right to judge anyone. Its nobody's business who has kids, how many they have, how they discipline them, how they distribute chores or anything else. Ignorance...

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 5:54:08 PM PDT
I think that Christians are supposed to see children as blessings as they are repeatedly called in the Bible. We Americans tend to see children as burdens, and our children show the consequences of this attitude we have toward them. The more children I have (I currently have 4 with 2 more on the way), the more I see how unique each one is, and I wouldn't have wanted to miss a single one of them. It is not just "having another kid", it is starting another human life, and it's awesome to watch each of them grow up to be their own person. And really, what else do you leave behind when you die? What else actually makes a lasting impact like each one of your children?

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 10:51:10 AM PDT
Nader says:
Rachel, I find what you're saying a bit offensive. To insinuate that if you're not a christian a child is a burden to you is outrageaous. you don't need to have a dozen plus children to find them to be the most beautiful thing that ever happened. I actually feel that the Duggars and whomever has more than a dozen children are very selfish if they have access to birth control (I'm not talking about 3rd world countries where there is little to no birth control). The reason I say this is because there is no way I don't care what you say to give the amount of love and attention children need when there are so many of them. I think anyone who is a religious fanatic and believe they should have as many children as possible should move into the new millenium. A long time ago you needed to have as many children as possible because you needed help in the farm and there were a lot of children who died from diseases.

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 4:45:47 PM PDT
Actions speak louder than words. If our careers and finances are more important than having kids beyond the typical 2-kid American family, that shows what you value most. If someone offered you 100k, you would take it, even if you had to do some work for it. If you see children as a gift, you will be thrilled with all that is given to you. Who would turn down more gifts, if that is how you view children? Okay, personally I don't think I could handle 20 kids. I have spread my kids out more so I get a little break from that difficult baby stage. But if the Duggers feel they can handle that many, and appreciate each one, that is great. The thing about love is that there is no limit to it. After my first child, I didn't think I could love another child the same way. But with each child, you get more love for them without diminishing your love for the others.
I know people also say that financially, they couldn't afford more children. But honestly, with a good budget, thriftyness, and giving up some luxuries, most families can support a lot more kids than they think. I know many families with 5-6 kids living off one average income- they may not go out to eat every weekend or have two new cars, but they are all very happily supporting their families.
The birth control issue is a whole other discussion. It has been proven that oral contraceptives increases the risk of breast cancer, as well as the other medical issues, but no one wants to discuss this because women love having that control over their bodies (and the drug companies love that $). We are fine saying that hormone replacement therapy causes breast cancer, but that same estrogen has the same effect in birth control. My OB/Gyn is actually doing a comprehensive study on it. Of course, you can use other birth control methods, but they are much less effective, so you will still end up with a good number of children unless you are using hormonal methods.
I'm not sure why people get so offended when they see the word "Christian". If we were talking about any other "politically correct" religion, it would be fine, but Christians are getting a bad reputation lately. I know that there are a very large percentage of "Christians" out there that make the others look bad, and there is nothing I can to about that, but unfortunately it is all too easy to label onesself as a Christian and then live in very un-Christian ways.

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 10:04:58 PM PDT
Nader says:
Condoms are a cheap effective form of contraception

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 2:41:36 PM PDT
A. Roddy says:
Amen Nader. I am not offended by the word "Christian' unless it is part of a dangerous sect like the Duggars. Many larger families live a shoestring existence. Large families become about survival instead of emotional development. Some people confuse common sense with selfishness. Not everyone is made to parent. IM it is selfish when you know you would not make a fit parent to bring kids into the world. If giving two kids a good life is selfish than so be it. I don't see kids as gifts or blessings because it slaps infertile couples in the face. I have never seen those with kids as more blessed. You never call kids blessings or gifts to elevate yourself.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 5:34:24 PM PDT
Completely irresponsible. With global warming occurring at an alarming level this summer it's now abundantly clear that overpopulation is a real problem both here and abroad. I really wish people would wake up, quit being selfish and start using some family planning. I understand the desire for large families but things have changed and the earth we'll be leaving to our children is in peril because of too many people using too few resource. The Duggars are an extraordinary example of this!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 7:11:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2012 7:43:13 AM PDT
MamaJ says:
I've left religion (my own opinion on it) out of this discussion, because religion is just so subjective and personal. However, I'm really interested in what makes the Duggars religion "dangerous"? I have to wonder how many of the people who have voiced negative opinions about the Duggar's would feel differently if they were the same exact family without the religious aspect of their life. I say that because the naysayers always seem to throw that in there, making me think that there has to be some sort of prejudice to Christianity, or at least to freedom of religion.

I do agree with you that not everyone is meant to have children. Some of the people who love my children the most are people who have chosen to not have kids. They have their reasons that they don't ever need to feel the need to share with anyone. It's their life, and their choice. The same way that I feel like it is the Duggars choice to continue to take care of the children they have - and have as many as they want. It balances out.

My children are a blessing and a gift. My children are my BIGGEST blessings and most PRECIOUS gifts! That isn't elevating myself, that is appreciating and acknowledging what I have in my life!! I've had ten miscarriages and one infant death, so infertility is a subect that has touched my life in the most intimate and devestating of ways. Even in those darkest hours I knew that children were a blessing. So when I say that about my children, it isn't because I am trying to hurt someone who cannot have children, but to let my children know how much I love them. Those with children are not *more* blessed than those without children, just blessed differently.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Baby forum (560 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Baby forum
Participants:  59
Total posts:  136
Initial post:  Aug 18, 2010
Latest post:  May 20, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions