Customer Discussions > Baby forum

Warning on sizing for Carter's Baby Clothes including Onesies

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 141 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 27, 2011 6:06:05 PM PDT
K. Jensen says:
Think about this. Going formal dress shopping for my wedding, the associate said to go up 3-4 sizes, I went up 2 sizes from normal and the width of the dress fit and my mom had to still raise the bottom hem by approximately 6 inches.

My daughter wears all styles since my mother-in-law owns a resale store. Carters outfits are rarely consigned at the store as new outfits with tags still attached they are mostly gently used or not consigned since they were well used. Carters is by far my favorite, the best sizing for my long torso baby with short legs and they actually fit her since 9 months, going out of 9 month tops and still too short for 9 month pants. My sister-in-law has the same to say about the Carter sizes. They are great.

Posted on May 27, 2011 6:55:51 PM PDT
Kelly Hickey says:
Wow, I just cannot get past the comment, "And what newborns have you seen on a regular basis that are under 8lbs.? Not many." My son was 6lbs, 10oz - large for a baby born at 36 weeks. He was bigger than my roommate's baby, who was full term. Babies come in all different sizes, and different brands work for different babies. I find that Carter's fits him best - it was true when he was in the 5% - 10% percentile across the board and it is now that he is at the 50% percentile. Gerbers & Circo seem to run small, especially since my son is long and slim.

Posted on May 28, 2011 5:07:03 PM PDT
Heather O. says:
I have to say that for nb, (the only one I noticed so far, since baby isn't here yet) is much smaller than it used to be.

I have a nb onesie I bought when my second was little and he never wore it. I bought another one from the website and it is significantly smaller. Both of my other babies were 9 and 10 lbs so nb only fit for a few weeks anyway. But I hate clothes that are too big. I'm hoping I won't have to exchange these new ones when this baby gets here. They probably won't have the same styles anymore.

Posted on May 28, 2011 5:14:57 PM PDT
Heather O. says:
I have to say that for nb, (the only one I noticed so far, since baby isn't here yet) is much smaller than it used to be.

I have a nb onesie I bought when my second was little and he never wore it. I bought another one from the website and it is significantly smaller. Both of my other babies were 9 and 10 lbs so nb only fit for a few weeks anyway. But I hate clothes that are too big. I'm hoping I won't have to exchange these new ones when this baby gets here. They probably won't have the same styles anymore.

Posted on May 28, 2011 5:14:59 PM PDT
Heather O. says:

Posted on May 29, 2011 12:40:31 PM PDT
I have to agree with the poster. The issue is, (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that Carter's sizes are all over the place. I found this to be true with both of my boys. I go by weight because my kids were on the heavier side as babies so they were alway out of the weight window in the given age group. Pants and onsies were always too short, but their the body suits have a long torso so they were good. Cardigans, especially knit ones are very large, we can still wear 12 months even though he is approaching 18 and he wears mostly 12-18 and 18 - 24 in other clothes. However, the lightweight jersey cardigans again run small. Target and Wall-Mart carries a totally different line of Carter's. I found that their sizes are not the same as the store brand. I guess every kid is different.

Posted on May 29, 2011 10:54:14 PM PDT
Angela Hora says:
my son is over 12 pds and over 24 inchs. He is on the lean side and carters has only been the brand that has fit him. he is also very narrow waisted and narrow feet. i had put him in a pair of 0-3 mths shorts and the pair completly fell off of him although he had a diaper on- now carters stayed on. I think onsies fit differently then pjs. He is still in his 3 mth onsies. onsies shouldn't fit loose like pjs. every brand fits differently. don't buy a whole lot of things. i have learned the hard way... carters is the only brand that fits him. I can get away with buying rompers in the jumping bean brand but pjs- carters all the way.

Posted on May 30, 2011 3:50:44 AM PDT
i found that gerber clothes and pampers diapers run "small" and that carters and huggies run "larger"

Posted on May 30, 2011 3:56:23 AM PDT
walmaart's garanimals fit my baby great. she's a chunky monkey. it just depends on your baby's build.

Posted on May 30, 2011 8:23:26 AM PDT
Mandi says:
I love Carter's clothes BUT, there is a knockoff that is called Carters Baby, and from everything I can tell they are not made by the same company. I know where I live Shopko sells them, I bought some sleepers thinking I found a really good deal on Carter's clothes but they shrank and the sizing and everything on the back of it washed off the very first wash before my son even wore them. My favorite brand for my babies has always been Carters though, and everyone I know has said the same. Even resale shops acknowledge that Carters is a popular brand when you bring clothes in to sell.
As far as how many babies under 8lbs I've seen. Almost every one of them. I actually only personally know 2 people who had babies over 8lbs. I've had 3 kids and they were all 5.5-6lbs at birth, they did outgrow newborn sized stuff at about 8lbs (and I never needed preemie sizes). I'm pregnant with our 4th and some of our clothes have been through 2 babies now and the Carters stuff has definitely held up very well and other than the things that were stained they look like new and I plan on reusing them. I don't feel expensive baby clothes are necessary at all, they outgrow them fast, and for anyone with babies above the 50%, it's perfectly normal for them to be in bigger sizes, that's not really the fault of the manufacturer.

Posted on May 31, 2011 4:30:13 AM PDT
L. Klein says:
OP- I am assuming this is your first child? :-)

I have 3 children (2 born at 7lb7oz and one at 7lb6oz) who wore carter's NB for the first 6 weeks - 3 months of their life. They would have been SWIMMING in 3 months at birth - in the hospital, they were swimming in the NBs (need to roll up sleeves, cuffs, etc). Now at 4 months, I've just moved my baby (average weight/above avg height) into 3-6 clothing. My first was in Carter's 0-3 until closer to 5-6 months (it was summer and her lenght was in her legs so all the onesie dresses fit just fine until we needed warmer clothes!). And as far as the dress bottoms go? I personally have found them to run large. For us, the dress would usually be long outgrown before the diaper cover fit! I bought a few solid/eyelet ruffled bottoms in tiny sizes and they wore/wear those with all their dresses!

The only brand I've found to run CONSISTENTLY small/slender is Ralph Lauren. We've had a lot of luck wtih their pants/diaper covers fitting along with the dress!

Go ahead and return everything - but don't be disappointed when you have a newborn that has very little that fits him or her!

Posted on Jun 18, 2011 10:15:49 PM PDT
Samantha says:
A big part of your problem is probably that there are different kind of carters. Walmart sells Child of Mine *by carters* and Target sells Just for You *by carters* and there's others and they are sized differently and like any baby clothes the fit depends on the brand.

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 5:50:37 AM PDT
It's always going to depend on the size of your baby! If you have a big baby (over 9 or 10 lbs at birth) I've found everything runs very small lol. My 6 month old is wearing 12 month outfits. This was true for my first son as well.

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 11:32:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2011 11:36:14 PM PDT
I'd argue it's about the shape of the baby. My tall skinny one always looked like she was floating in Carters because they were too wide. Once the pants fit her middle they were practically shorts. My rounder shorter baby was perfectly fit by carters because they suited his shape - however I would say ALWAYS buy a size up when buying kids clothes particularly if it is a gift. If your child has the round body which fits carters well then you will be able to use sizes early by rolling up the cuff. Buy big - your friends will love you for it.

Also the point about different makers of carters is good - target are different - but on the whole for round babies AND you should go up a size or two.

The brand which fits thin and long for us has been Gymboree. I agree with the post about ralph lauren running short - they are way too tiny for both kids.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 8:55:13 AM PDT
Carter's clothing is my favorite. You have to remember that even though it says 6 months it's really 3-6 months etc. If you check the weight and height they are right on.

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 10:37:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2011 10:47:56 AM PDT
nr danilow says:
It really just depends on the size and shape of your baby.

Based on my experience with my baby, I agree with the original poster. Carters runs tight and narrow. Lengthwise, the clothing size seems accurate though. I have a chubby baby, now a toddler (95+% for weight--off the charts really at 22 pounds at 6 months of age). He is still chubby and always has worn many sizes up in Carters. By a week or two, he couldn't fit into 0-3 and we needed to get him all 3-6. By two months or so he was in 6-12, at 6 months he was in 12-18 months, etc... When he was 12 months he was wearing 2T pjs and they barely zipped closed on his chubby little thighs. It was a struggle to get them on. At 18 months, he needed to wear 3T because we couldn't zip the 2T anymore (but 3T are too long). Now he is turning 2 and luckily it is summer so we don't need the zip up pjs with the feet anymore. He just wears shorts and a t-shirt to bed :)

By comparison, other brands were wider: Gerber, Jumping Beans, and Children's Place clothes fit for a longer period of time. It really just depends on the size and shape of your baby. Still, he outgrew every brand before he was supposed to.

This is no big deal though, if you have a chubby baby, you need to buy a few sizes up. It's just a fact of life. Feel lucky that your baby is growing and eating well. All in all, I find it odd that everyone commented on this post just to disagree! Who cares!?

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 10:42:40 AM PDT
E. Harris says:
I have to add my 2cents in here. I like carter's. They hold up well and are more true to size than other brands. As others mentioned, Gerber runs incredibly small. My 6m2w old 19lb girl can wear an 18m Gerber onesie whereas she can wear a 6-9m Carter outfit. Circo (from Target) runs a little on the large side. As someone else stated, maybe you got stuff from an outlet. No big deal, good for those people for saving money. However, I have Carter stuff from an outlet and the seems to be the same as always to me. I also think you should wait until you have your baby. If this is your first one you'll be surprised at how clothes fit. My girl was just over 8lbs at birth and the 0-3m stuff was too big for the first month. You just don't know how big they will be, even if the doctor estimates their weight. (Also, Carter's does seem to fit the slender and tall babies better. Not made for the really chunky babies.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 10:44:39 AM PDT
E. Harris says:
You commented just to agree. What's the difference?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 10:50:13 AM PDT
nr danilow says:
So many people said that the original post didn't add to the discussion that the original post is no longer even visible. How could it not add to the discussion if it is what started the discussion?! That's what I meant. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 7:55:59 AM PDT
JenLo says:
I also had the opposite issue as the original poster. The Carter's clothes always fit my kids longer than others. And as for "And what newborns have you seen on a regular basis that are under 8lbs.? Not many." Both of mine were under 8 pounds as a newborn. One was born 8 pounds, 4 ounces but weighed less than that when she went home 2 days after birth (and stayed less than that for a few weeks.) Don't forget babies tend to lose about 10% of their weight after they are born. My other child was 6 pounds, 12 ounces and was under 8 pounds for a couple of months. Both were born less than a week before their due date. One was 1 day early, the other was 5 days early. My 3.5 year old wears 18 M or 2T Carters clothes and my 15 month old wears 9M Carters clothes.

I think the key, that you'll find as you buy clothes for your child over the years, is that different brands have different sizing. Period. You'll get to know which clothes you have to go up a size for, and which to go down a size. No one's sizes are quite the same. It doesn't make them bad or good, it just changes what size you buy... I agree with others that I'd have my child in a 6 month Gerber onsie and a 3 month Carters onsie. It just is. Not sure why it's a problem. It's just something to be aware of.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2011 8:02:44 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 23, 2011 8:03:02 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2011 8:03:27 AM PDT
JenLo says:
The post is visible. You just click on "show post anyway".

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 6:44:05 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 23, 2011 6:49:31 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 9:11:09 PM PDT
J. Castro says:
carters clothes fit perfectly to my eight month, she is wearing six to nine months and its still lose on her and my baby weighs 18 pounds, i love carters clothes because it feels to me like it last longer than any other brand but thats just my opinion

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 5:08:03 AM PDT
Megan Taylor says:
I know many posters have said this, but the thing with Carters is that they LABEL differently than most. 3 months is 0-3 months, 6 months is 3-6 months, etc. You need to check the height/weight to see this. For example, compare a 3 month carters to a 0-3 month gerber, Old Navy, etc, and you'll see their height/weights are the same. People think that 3 month stuff should fit when a "typically sized" baby is 3 months, but in actuality the baby should be outgrowing it at that time and moving into 6 month .(3-6). We are a huge fan of Carters in my house. They do shrink a bit, but I have yet to encounter baby clothes that don't. My daughter has a lot of Gymboree stuff, and that actually shrinks more!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Baby forum (565 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Baby forum
Participants:  109
Total posts:  141
Initial post:  May 9, 2011
Latest post:  27 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions