Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc DJ Shadow Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Baby forum

What is the best glider for a plus size woman?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 29, 2008 8:23:36 PM PST
King Ranger says:
My wife has about 5 weeks left before our baby comes and I've been wanting to suprise her with one of those rocker/glider chairs preferably with an ottoman but its not required. Normally I am able to just use reviews as my "guide" but almost every chair I've looked at has had some warning about it not being for larger women.

She's not really all that tall (5'4) or very large, but is on the other side of 200#, moreso now with all the weight gained from her pregnancy. It's already made her really sensitive and the LAST thing I want to do is buy a chair too small for her to be comfortable in, so any help that can be given is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out.

Yours truly.
One clueless husband

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2008 9:43:33 PM PST
Castrogal says:
I would highly recommend the Dutailier brand. They make their gliders in a regular width and also a little wider than normal. You can find it at Babies R Us. I'm not sure where you are located but I found one in my area on Craigs List. It was used but in Excellent condition. You will pay more for this glider but it is top of the line and you get what you pay for. It will last forever without any problems. You can check them out at http://www.dutailier.com/ I hope this helps! Good Luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2008 9:44:40 PM PST
Daphnet says:
Hi, I would recommend a Dutailier glider (you can get a matching ottoman if you want, but you can also buy the gliders separately). Their wooden gliders with attached padding seem to run noticeably wider than the gliders we tried out at a large local baby store (BRU, in case we can name stores here). I was probably a bit larger than your wife while pregnant, and the glider was not tight at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2008 7:15:49 AM PST
After trying all the gliders at Babies-R-Us and finding them none too comfy for the money, I ended up going with a La-Z-Boy plush microsuede rocker/recliner, with ottoman. It was more padded and cozy and comfy for new moms than any others I tried, and the seat area was larger for those of us who packed on some pounds during pregnancy. Plus the extra seat and arm area gives you more room for feeding baby. The large, cushy, padded armrests are ideal for both breast and bottle feeding. For an extra fee, they will make it stain proof for you-- well worth the $25 or so extra. We've gotten all kinds of things on this chair, and so far not a single stain or odor. I can't say enough good stuff about this rocker! My only regret: that I didn't also get one for the living room!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2008 11:14:19 AM PST
A. Briggs says:
Hi, we got a Dutailier brand glider with a matching ottoman with our first child and it was nice. Had a smooth rhythm, was quiet, and the pads were soft. But... I stopped using it within the first month. I'm a short person (5'2") and my elbows naturally fall below the arms of the chair this combined with a squirmy bundle that grows at an astonishing rate just made the glider too cramped. I stretched my son across me when we nursed but he grew in length so quick that he was taking up the whole chair width and that combined with the pillow I used to prop him up just made me feel way too over-crowded and cramped in the chair. I'm also not a larger lady, even 9 months pregnant I was only 160#. Within weeks I was either on the couch, sitting on a bed, or using our recliner in the living room for nursing. Our glider also had the pads that attach with velcro. I wouldn't recommend this style. The pads twisted on the arms and were too small of fit so that they were always on the verge of coming off. It's pretty annoying to stick your arms against exposed velcro. They also had built in pockets on the sleeves but they were very inconvenient. I couldn't get to the pockets to put anything in or take out because there was no room to get my arm and hand down there with the baby, a propping pillow, and myself in the chair. To sum it up I found the glider too limiting, I couldn't maneuver myself to get comfortable and I had a devil of a time getting out of it. Now this could all be because I am short. On the flip side of the coin my husband really enjoyed the glider. We moved a twin bed into our son's room and I would sit on that to nurse him to sleep and my husband would sit in the glider and read out loud to us. This arrangement was tons better for us. Knowing what I do now I would have skipped the glider altogether. I really liked the idea and concept of it but the reality is that it was too limiting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2008 6:20:00 PM PST
Stephanie says:
I agree w/ the previous comments. That's the glider I chose w/ my second pregnancy. With my first, we got a Lane rocker recliner and it was also comfy. The arms were more conducive to positions for nursing and bottle feeding than I found with the glider. Another good option is a chair-and-a-half or a "cuddle chair." It's roomy when you're in the last stages of pregnancy, good for when you're trying to get comfy in the living room (you won't only be in the nursery/bedroom with the baby) and excellent for when the child is older and wants to sit with you. As I write this, my husband is in ours w/ a 4 yr old on one side and a 2 yr old on the other.

BTW: The chair should be something you're willing to splurge on. Someone will be spending a LOT of time in it and will be grateful for the comfort. Look for a nursing slide-out on the ottoman and pouches on the sides of the chair for keeping nursing cream, a bottle, tissues, a remote control, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2008 7:16:25 PM PST
B. Santaro says:
I'm a short (5') plus size mom, (well on the side of 200) and the glider I WISH I had purchased was sold by our local baby store (BRU) It's microfiber, and low to the ground, and looks like an armchair but glides AND swivels. It's has a matching ottoman and comes in maybe 3 different colors. The swivel is especially nice when nursing or feeding the baby, as you don't have to shift your position with a sleepy or fussy baby if reaching for something. The lower profile makes it nice for the vertically challenged, and most of all, it fit me and was SO SO comfy.

Dutalier were nice but the wooden arms many have become problematic if your little one grows up as squirmy as mine and in a sudden motion slides down and cracks parts of his or herself. Microfiber is easy to keep clean and if you have cats as I do, if they get in and scratch it hides the damage VERY well.

Anyhow the chair is question is called "Microfiber swivel glider" and in the stores is ALWAYS the most worn looking display model--for a reason!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2008 9:14:44 PM PST
We ordered a Dutalier--I think it was called the "Grand Chair" and it was MUCH wider than the ones in the store at Babies R Us. I'm about your wife's size and we've been very happy with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2008 9:39:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2008 9:40:36 PM PST
Definitely Dutalier (Dutalier.com or call them directly), fully guaranteed, great construction. We have 2, one for the kids' nursery and another one for the den just because we love them. I spent quite a bit of time researching for one that's sturdy and wide as I am not petite and love to sit crosslegged while rocking or feeding. My hubby wanted a nice high back with the width for holding them while reading as they grow older - that dream is now a reality! These were byfar the best and we even got one that had a bad bearing for which they immediately replaced the entire chair in days (special order fabric and all). Excellent customer service and they really stand behind their product. Had the first one for over 7 years now and still is gliding as smoothly as it did when we first got it. I was also worried when I picked a light cream upholstery that it would look soiled soon but it's still pretty new looking (wipes clean easily). They also had an ottoman that I bought and didn't use for very long but is very comfortable for that first year when you seem to spend a LOT of time snuggling, feeding and holding the baby. (Lately the boys have been riding it as a horse and it's held up strong and is still gliding and looking great.) Enjoy the glider and especially holding the BABY, Congratulations!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2008 10:21:29 PM PST
K. Gaspar says:
Dutalier Grand all the way. I was well over 200 lbs. when I had my daughter 2 years ago. It was pricey, but well worth it. And yes, you and your wife will be spending a lot of time in it so make the investment. I can't tell you how many nights I ended up falling asleep in that chiar. Even now, we use it to snuggle up in for our bedtime stories. My husband is also large, 6'3" and 225lbs. and he just couldn't fit in anything smaller that we looked at. It's imported from Canada so order ASAP.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2008 12:50:32 PM PST
Mom2gabriel says:
I don't know what brand it is but I got it at Baby Depot (Burlington Coat Factory)... It's got a blue/green gingham upholstery on it. I am prego again (got prego when infant was 6 months) so i not only did not lose all of my weight but now have the prego weight on and continuing for a few more months. This chair is very very comfortable! I love it. It's got the ottoman that is with it. This is one purchase that I was going to go more inexpensive on and my hubby talked me into this one and I am so glad I splurged on it. It is the best purchase ever for a new mom.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2008 12:53:50 PM PST
danaday says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2008 1:09:45 AM PST
Whatever brand you end up buying, before you buy turn it upside down to see how it is made. My daughter got one before grandson was born, and the seat began to sag after a couple of months. (Her and I are both heavy.) There was just a piece of cardboard under the cushion which broke down quickly under the weight.

As far as the width of the chair goes, if she is under 250#, unless she is very wide through the hips (very pear shaped) that probably will not be a problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2008 12:31:55 PM PST
Katie Kate says:
I'm a large person... six feet tall and 250 pounds. I find that most gliders can make aweful noises and squeek a lot even with the thinnest of people. You don't want that with a newborn. I like our traditional wood rocker with pads or a pottery barn kids brand arm chair with the rockers on the bottom. Both of good size, and neither squeek!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2008 4:41:06 PM PST
I'm not sure if you'll be able to access a store called "American Furniture Warehouse" based out of Colorado. M wife sat in at least 100 gliders/rockers--insisting on comfort. We ended up buing one that cost about $150 (including gliding footrest). It is one of the ugliest pieces we've ever seen--squared off edges, lumpy textured 70's like fabric (only available in burnt orange/red and drab olive green). However, the arm rests are the right height for nursing, the seat is wide enough for her to comfortably fit (she peaked at over 250# and is 5'6), and it also reclines so she has even used it for sleeping (at the end of the pregnancy). We're convinced it's the best piece of furniture we've ever bought--though we would never put it in a room guests would see!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2008 8:09:10 PM PST
Dutailier makes a glider/rocker that is 1 1/2 width. I have a regular sized one and was 225lbs after I had my baby and it was comfy. I am getting the 1 1/2 width so my toddler can snuggle in with us when the new baby comes! Usually have to special order the wider ones, but they are so well made it is worth the money. Your wife will LOVE it and you too. Get the gliding stool that goes with it that has the pull out foot rest. Heavenly. My husband is 6'2" and 270 and he likes the rocker too.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2008 9:39:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2008 9:45:17 AM PST
Leeese says:
I so hope you haven't made the purchase yet, because I really feel strongly about the recommendation I'm about to make. :) I'm a 5'2" plus-size woman (225) who just had a baby 13 months ago, and after an EXHAUSTIVE (and exhausting) search for the perfect nursery chair/rocker (80% of my time focused and wasted on the gliders that are so popular), I rejected that type entirely and found that a La-Z-Boy rocker/recliner is absolutely, ridiculously better in EVERY conceivable way. I wrote to my family about it the day I bought it, and below I'm going to paste the "review" I put together for them just because I was so happy to finally find a chair to meet my needs (I'll omit the verbose details of the other chairs I tried, it was a LONG email!). I really hope this helps, and I truly believe if you go this route your wife will be SO very glad you did.

By the way, I had gotten so far as to fill out an order form at Babies-R-Us to purchase a Dutalier glider, after trying it out MANY times, but I just couldn't bring myself to finalize it. I just sat there thinking of what I really NEEDED in a nursery chair, and the ability to NAP while holding a fussy baby was definitely near the top of the list. This just is NOT possible, safely, in one of those gliders. My La-Z Boy has made ALL the difference for me over the past 13 months. I can't imagine what my life would've been in those early months if I hadn't been able to sleep while holding the baby -- he was just one of those babies that would NOT accept being put down. Oh, and the La-Z Boy cost $349. The wider seat model of the Dutalier was going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $700 (with ottoman). And the regular size seat Dutalier's were simply NOT wide enough for someone of my size to be truly comfortable. Also, wooden arms and baby feeding really do not go hand-in-hand. I'm baffled by these gliders, and by the people who seem to love them. One other thing -- I had to have a c-section and this made getting in and out of bed very difficult, but I could easily sit and recline in the La-Z Boy without pain, and get very good rest while healing.

Ok, here's the La-Z Boy praise that I wrote the day I brought it home, and if anything I love it even more today.

I know I've written a LOT about chair hunting, chair searching, chair possibilities, chair ordering, chairs, chairs, chairs, but I hope you can bear just one more post, because I'm really excited about my chair!

After giving up on gliders, I went to the La-Z Boy showroom. I looked around on my own for a while, tested out a ton of chairs, liked several, and after a while a lady came out to help and showed me a few, back in a corner, that I hadn't found yet, including one that was pretty much perfect. I sat in it, and it was REALLY comfy, and did some things I hadn't seen other recliners do before. For instance, you can sit in it, then lean backward, reclining the chair back without raising the handle or kicking up the foot rest (they call this the "slouch position"). NO other recliner does this. Also, the foot rest had three different locking positions, not just a choice between up or down like all the others I've seen. I was also really drawn by the fact that I could choose to add an optional swivel base or just go with the standard rocking mechanism. I liked the chair A LOT, the price was pretty good, but I left to go see other options. I wasn't about to buy the first one I liked.

<many paragraphs covering many days omitted>

I went back to the La-Z Boy and spent some time in it, sitting, rocking, reclining, experiencing the different positions, looking at the fabric choices, and debating in my head whether or not to splurge for a swivel base. As I looked at it again, after seeing the chairs at the other places, I found more things about it that made it superior, in my estimation. For instance, when you raise the handle, recline and lift the foot rest, you're laying on one continuous piece, all enclosed in fabric, rather than the metal reclining mechanism being exposed and there being a big open space between the chair and the foot rest. (Found out they call this the "chaise" feature.) Not only is this safer for little hands, fingers and knees, but I imagine it's quite a big deal as far as comfort and WARMTH when reclining in it. I know how freezing cold my legs get when I sit in the chair in our living room, if the ottoman isn't pushed RIGHT up against the chair, and how I'm always wrestling with the blanket to get it wrapped up under my legs. Another thing, when you recline the chair, there's no gap between the seat and the back part, that's all sealed and continuous as well, which means no chance of dropping bottles, pacifiers, or anything else to the floor if you accidentally let them fall into the chair. I don't know if I would've noticed these things if I hadn't seen so many other chairs back to back like I did, but it really stood out. Not to mention, the La-Z Boy was just better quality all-around. More stable, more solid, really nice fabric, etc. It couldn't be more perfect. It's almost like someone had a nursery in mind when they designed it. It has a ridiculously good warranty, and should last pretty much forever.

I ordered it on Tuesday and it was ready to pick up on Friday!<Hubby> and I ventured out last night to pick it up, and it's FANTASTIC. It's even better looking than the one in the showroom, and it's as if it were made to my exact dimensions. It could not be more comfortable! I woke up early this morning and went to the nursery to give it a test spin as a napping spot until <hubby> woke up, and it was heaven! I haven't slept that well in weeks.

Edited to add: Oh my gosh! I just looked at your profile and I'm from Huntsville! I went to UAH for a while. It sure is a small world!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2008 8:16:00 AM PST
Dana Krall says:
Leese, that was a great review.. I'm sold! Do you happen to know the name or model number of that lazy boy chair?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2008 5:07:17 PM PST
Leeese says:
I absolutely do! My warranty paper says it's the "Morgan". Style 524. In case you are curious, the fabric I chose was C845132 called "Vigilante", color "Birch". It's a micro-suede type, and much to my surprise it hasn't been stained with CONSTANT use in 13 months of feedings, spit-ups, and spills.

It's a smaller chair, not one of the mammoth recliners I used to think of when I heard "La-Z Boy". It's perfectly suited for shorter statures, while still working (well) for wide widths AND fitting well in the corner of a not-huge nursery.
Overall dimensions: Height: 41" Width 36.5" Depth: 39"
Seat Height: 19" Width: 20" Depth: 20.5"

I really hope you can find one, and that you love it even half as much as I have! Good luck. :) And let me know, I'd love to know how it goes (same for the original poster).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2008 8:49:27 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 15, 2008 8:50:35 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 8:03:20 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Baby forum (568 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Baby forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Jan 29, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions