Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Back Pain forum

Best mattress for back pain?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 80 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2010 4:36:43 PM PDT
Darthlaurie says:
I think my old mattress is causing some of my back/hip/neck pain and I'm starting to look around for a new mattress set. I've heard pretty good things about the Sleep Number beds, but my bf is hesitant to spend that much on a bed. At this point I just want something that won't leave me exhausted and in pain the next day. Any ideas? Thanks.

Posted on Jun 1, 2010 9:03:30 AM PDT
P. Fries says:
I'm looking for a new mattress set too, and since I have back and neck issues, I really want to get the best set I can. I've been leaning toward the sleep number bed and the Tempurpedic mattresses. Then I heard/read that the tempurpedic bed is good if you're the type that doesn't move much. That was really good to know because I could rule the Tempurpedic out since I move a lot. I'm fairly sure that anyone with back issues will be happy with the Sleep Number bed. If you only have back pain because of your old mattress, you may do just fine with a 'regular' mattress set. I read that the people most satisfied with their choice were the ones who followed the recommendation of testing it out in the showroom for something like 10-15 minutes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2010 9:07:50 AM PDT
Darthlaurie says:
I'm looking at the Sleep Number beds as well...but after reading a few of the non-rave reviews, I'm a bit concerned over forking out that sort of money. I had a Tempurpedic pillow. I think it was the wrong size for me because it wasn't all that comfortable, so I'm still a bit hesitant to try the Tempurpedic beds. Still wondering about gel mattresses. They seem like they'd be really heavy.

Posted on Jun 2, 2010 1:13:19 PM PDT
jimboesq says:
if you live in a large city, go directly to a bed manufacturer, and have them make you a bed....you can save hundreds of $$$....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2010 3:19:50 PM PDT
Darthlaurie says:
How do you know you'll be getting a good bed from a smaller local manufacturer?
I know that Spring Air has a warehouse here...my dance instructor works there. I'm just trying to figure out what the best bed would be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2010 10:36:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2010 10:37:15 AM PDT
jimboesq says:
well, it all depends of course on how much research you do, and how good your local manufacturer is, but here in LA, i went to 2 manufacturers learned what i needed to know about what type mattress was right for me, and had them custom make it...which was still cheaper than retail....the most significant difference is in coil size/strength/design(tensile)...something you can never see or test in a retail outlet/store.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2010 9:18:16 AM PDT
I've been in Severe Pain for years. Testing out a bed was hell because I couldn't tell what was comfortable. I have used the Simmons independent pocket beds for years. Because of pain I have sometime thought that maybe the bed wasn't that good, but if I'm gone for a night or a couple and I'm back to my bed...I realize that I love it. I spent $2000 for mine and it was worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2010 9:30:04 AM PDT
Darthlaurie says:
I really believe spending the extra money is probably the way to go. The problem is convincing my bf...since he doesn't deal with chronic pain issues, he's pretty clueless about it. I was talking to my dance teacher last night and she says the Spring Air mattress named after her could help with the pressure points.
W.J.: I looked for mattress manufacturers here in Salt Lake. I guess it's not a big enough area to have many choices, but I really appreciate the suggestion and if I can stumble on something here like that, I'll probably go that route.

Posted on Jun 4, 2010 7:34:21 PM PDT
Red says:
It all depends what kind of back pain you have. I have a tempurpedic foam mattress and its great. To prevent back pain the best thing you can do is stretch your spine regularly.

FYI there's a new product on Amazon called Spinal Stretch. Here are the reviews....

http://www.amazon.com/SPINAL-STRETCH-Portable-Back-Relief/product-reviews/B003BNZ1KC/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Best of luck to everyone!

Posted on Jun 5, 2010 1:49:23 PM PDT
RT momma says:
My husband and I both have neck/back pain. We've used a memory-foam topper on our queen size bed, and that definitely helped but I think our queen bed was just too old and after a year or so we began having increased pain again. We recently upgraded to a king size memory foam mattress from bedinabox.com. It was a wonderful purchase. We are both fairly large people and this mattress is wonderfully supportive as well as feeling soft and "cloud-like" when you lay down. Best of all, I no longer feel my husband as he flops in bed. In fact both of us are flipping and flopping a lot less now, and I wake up without the old aches and pains. If you are thinking of buying a memory foam bed, check out sleeplikethedead.com, great reviews and info about ALL the different manufacturers as well as info on different densities.
As to the sleep number beds, I have a few friends that have had them and they both wish they hadn't bought them. There is a baffle running down the middle that seperates the air chambers and they report this is very firm, like sleeping on a bar. Also, over time the air chambers will begin to leak.

Posted on Jun 14, 2010 7:34:20 AM PDT
Laura Cotter says:
Have a very bad back and tried a memory foam topper years ago from a company which advertised the density and firmness which I don't remember, but the thing was fantastic and took away all morning back pain. They are no longer around and my back is worse. I tried a new topper even thicker, 3" but with unknown density or firmness. It stretched and was going over the edge of the bed and was making me feel hot and after less than a week my morning horrible back pain was back. So I am on the internet trying to research the full foam beds.

Posted on Jun 20, 2010 11:17:43 PM PDT
Bri says:
I've had somewhat severe back pain for nearly a decade as a result of a car accident, and I'll add a nod towards memory foam beds. Mine is from Bob's Furniture; my partner and I actually bought it from a roommate who didn't like it and sold it to us for $200 because it's hard to sell a used bed. The queen Bob-O-Pedic sells for $799 ($399 for the Bob-O-Pedic lite) for just the mattress; the foundation doesn't seem very different to me, versus a run of the mill box spring. The bed's definitely not cheap, but it's a LOT cheaper than the Tempurpedics, and it does a lot to help alleviate my pain.

Posted on Jul 2, 2010 6:43:05 AM PDT
I have a tempurpedic cloud and love it. P Fries said that they heard if you move a lot you should get one, but I used to move a lot and now I don't. I lay in maybe two positions a night now compared to moving every 15 minutes before. It does take some getting used to but now I can't sleep in any other bed. I paid 2400 for the bed, platform (their version of box springs), and 2 pillows. You can go to any store that sells them and they recommend coming when you have time and taking a nap on it to get the feel for it.

I wouldn't rule it out just because you move a lot.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2010 8:57:30 AM PDT
Darthlaurie says:
Here's an update: we ended up getting a latex mattress. Last Monday our Spring Air Back Supporter Latex mattress got here. I was able to lie on my side and read for like an hour with zero pain in my hips. That night was pretty awesome...no pain in my lower body. The upper body has been another story. I'm in desperate need of new pillows. I ended up ordering a couple latex pillows from Linenspa and hopefully they should be here today.
There aren't a lot of reviews about these new Spring Air beds. Here are the reasons I ended up going with a Spring Air:
The company declared bankruptcy, was purchased by someone else and they've been turning it around. I know quite a bit about this since my belly dance instructor works for them. That's the other reason: I know that if something does go wrong with this mattress it will get taken care of.
After doing a lot of online research, we went to a couple local stores and looked at the mattresses. A lot of the mattresses were too soft and springy. They were also really expensive. We found a Serta that we liked, but my bf really didn't like the price. We stopped at Costco to look at the Spring Air mattresses again and the mattress we ended up with is every bit as comfortable as the Serta we were looking at-- for half the price. We ended up paying $1000 for our queen size mattress set.
My bf loves it, but he's having a bit harder time adjusting to it...he wakes up and has a sore spot in the middle of his back, but he says it goes away as soon as he gets out of bed. Each day the ache is decreasing and we're hoping the new pillows help him as well.
I really love how soft but supportive the mattress is. I'm very, very pear shaped. Usually when I lie down there's a huge gap between the small of my back and my butt. This bed fills in that gap and supports my back so nicely...I can lie on my stomach comfortably without bending my knees or putting a pillow under my knees.
So thanks everyone for your comments and links....a lot of them helped me reach the conclusion and I hope that everyone here finds a mattress that works for them and finally gets a good night's sleep!

Posted on Jul 2, 2010 11:29:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2010 11:33:56 AM PDT
Ron S. says:
Simmons Beautyrest worldclass mattresses in firm or extra firm have provided me with the best relief. My bed is a Simmons Beautyrest NxG

simmons.com/products/brands/comforpedic/foam.html

They're expensive, but they're not full of gimmicks and will last you many years. However, a bed alone will not fix your back. It will just help you sleep more soundly. Finding a master pilates instructor or a master Gyrotonic trainer specialized in chronic spine pain will be the best solution to help teach you about any muscle imbalances you have as a result of chronic spine pain, and will train you to perform core conditioning exercises on a daily basis to avoid the nasty pain killers and COX1 and COX2 inhibitors that will just end up giving you ulcers after prolonged usage.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2010 1:59:22 PM PDT
Red says:
The Republican Lover is right that pilates can help a bad back, as stretching exercises help to decompress the spine, which can lessen spinal nerve irritation caused by degenerated discs etc.

The most popular method to decompress your spine is those inversion tables, but those can make your head hurt after a few minutes.

Amazon is selling a new back-stretching device that seems to be helping a lot of people--my own wife included.

It's called 'Spinal Stretch.' Check it out, and best of luck to everyone.

Posted on Jul 19, 2010 5:12:31 AM PDT
Suzy Q says:
I am in the process of trying to buy a mattress to sleep on that's not hurting my back when I wake up. I was in a car accident and compressed two of my thorasic vertebra so that one looks like an inverted triangle on an Xray. Along with that, the accident caused scoliosis in the same area. I have had two mattresses in the last three years that keep causing back pain (including an "adjustable bed" that was made specifically for me). They both have been too soft in my opinion. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Posted on Jul 29, 2010 3:45:35 PM PDT
RealTime says:
Please be aware that the Tempurpedic heats up as you sleep on it as it "engulfs" your body. My husband and I, therefore, didn't even consider it in our hot, humid climate (SW Louisiana). Our experience with the Serta mattress we had, which cost about $1000, is that it held up for only a couple of years then began sagging badly. Husband weighs about 190. and I weigh about 130, so I think it was a matter of poor quality and not an excess weight issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2010 7:37:09 PM PDT
Darthlaurie says:
We've had the new latex mattress and pillows for almost a month now. I still have some aches and pains (I'm still not sure if the pillow is the right one for me), but nothing like the pain I was having. I'm waking up less in the night and I'm not tossing and turning as much. My bf's lower back pain has disappeared and he loves the pillows (they're the linenspa plush latex from here).
So...my sleep isn't perfect...I don't suppose I'll ever be a sound sleeper since I've never been that way (I remember my first bout of insomnia happened when I was around four years old). But, I think my sleep has improved quite a bit and the aches have been reduced significantly. I'm hoping some consistent yoga practice will also help me out.

Posted on Jul 29, 2010 8:36:34 PM PDT
Eileen says:
I really like the Denver Bed Company Dr's Choice Euro Plush bed. First time I tried it, my husband and I were in a hotel and both woke up feeling good so I looked under the sheets to see what we had been sleeping on. We had tried the tempurpedic and it was too hot so we had to send it back. We've had all kinds of toppers and some were better then others but the Denver bed is the best we've found and it is reasonably priced.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2010 4:28:10 PM PDT
Gracie says:
I had a Sleep Number bed for years and both my husband and I didn't think it was that good for our bad backs. Almost purchased a Temperpedic until a good friend who retails them told me they are very hot and in the summer make you sweat alot. Alot of these fad mattresses are gimmicks and come-ons. Just look at a good quality mattress and do your research. There are huge profit margins in mattresses, that's why you see all the furniture stores selling them.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2010 1:09:33 PM PDT
I hear you about the outrageous prices of the so-called helpful matresses. I went to a foam store and bought a 4" cut-to-size memory foam one (the thinnest recommended) for my twin bed, and it helped some, but lately the pain is worse. The problem with it (I move around a lot when sleeping) is that it creeps slightly off the bed over the night and I have to keep shoving it back in place. I'm now searching for a book that the Amazon reviewers say has actually helped them. Most reviews are written by other professionals, and because of my personal experiences and large amount of money I've wasted with them over my fifteen years of b.p. with zero improvement, I don't trust them.

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 7:12:12 PM PDT
Dr Jas says:
I also have severe pain, and have been considering various beds. My husband and decided against the Sleep Number Bed because of the price, and have continued to look. One thing I've tried to do is look for hotels with beds which can be purchased - Hilton has a good model, Hyatt has theirs, and from what I understand the Temperapedic is in some hotels as well, we haven't found one yet though. I loved the Hilton bedding and slept well right from the first night - which I usually am not able to do. One thing we found that we both liked was a latex mattress which doesn't hold heat. I don't remember who makes the one we tried - it was a major manufacturer - Simmons, or Sealy, ... one of the bigger names. It's my understanding that the Temperapedic beds hold heat and can be uncomfortable - this is 2nd hand knowledge - I haven't tried a Temperapedic and still intend to try one, but I do tend to get hot at night, and don't want a mattress that holds heat.
Good luck, and don't settle bc your bf doesn't want to spend the money - you can't settle when it comes to the ability to get a comfortable nights sleep. Maybe one 10 mg dose of Flexeril before bedtime would help you sleep better - I tried everything b4 agreeing to taking it bc I was afraid I'd possibly wt gain. It works well, I've had no wt gain, and the best thing is that I have dreams - I had no REM cycles for years b4 taking Flexeril. Now I sleep like a baby and have wonderful dreamy sleep!

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 8:05:59 PM PDT
Darthlaurie says:
The Westin's Heavenly bed is deliciously comfortable...so if you can splurge at a night or two there, you could try one of their mattresses;) But... they are expensive...I'm pretty dang happy with our latex mattress and the price we paid for it...and it's been a couple months.

Posted on Sep 25, 2010 10:24:51 PM PDT
Julia says:
duxianna, but they cost the same as a car. I think about 10k. I had one for a while and liked it. Now we have a natural latex bed (also expensive, but not nearly so much), and it's good. Love the Westin Heavenly bed, but not for the long term.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Back Pain forum (12 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Back Pain forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  80
Initial post:  May 31, 2010
Latest post:  May 31, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions