Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS
Customer Discussions > Back Pain forum

Best mattress for back pain?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 79 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 13, 2016 5:28:46 AM PST
S. Clark says:
Thanks so much for this post, I am still searching for a mattress that will help my back and have not heard of this one! The price point is good, just wondering what the materials they use in it are as many are so toxic.

Posted on Jan 13, 2016 4:59:18 AM PST
Sherry C says:
After dealing with pain related to a herniated disc (L4-L5) that resulted in laminectomy surgery followed by physical therapy, I went on a search for new furniture and a mattress that would better support my back and posture. I had no idea that they had been contributing to my back problems so much until I had the discussion with my PT. My mattress was an expensive, super plush Stearns and Foster but I was waking up with hip pain ever hour or two and tossing and turning. Both my surgeon and PT told me that anyone with back pain should stay away from soft mattresses and look for something that will support your body. Tempurpedic and Sleep Number beds purport to do that, but I only know of one person who has one that actually likes it. Not to mention - who can afford those!? So I did a ton of research and ended up buying the LUCID 16 Inch Plush Memory Foam and Latex Mattress - Four-Layer - Infused with Bamboo Charcoal - Natural Latex and CertiPUR-US Certified Foam - 25-Year Warranty - King. For ~$800 for a king mattress, it's not going to break the bank. It's very supportive and molds to your body, but also extremely comfy. It's not super firm and you can easily turn over unlike many memory foam mattresses that I've tried. The first night I slept on this new mattress, and every night since, my hip pain is gone and I am not tossing and turning any more. The cover makes it feel like an expensive mattress and it also keeps you cool - that's an issue with some memory foam mattresses. The only con is that it's 16 inches high, so if you put this on a regular bed with box springs, it will make your bed seem tall. My other mattress was almost as thick, so it wasn't a big change for me. Hope this helps my fellow back pain sufferers. I never want to go through that kind of pain ever again.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2015 5:31:31 AM PDT
Edwardo 151 says:
I hate our sleep number king size bed. Lower back and can not find a number that helps. Sorry we bought it.
B

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 8:27:49 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 13, 2014 8:28:10 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 8:20:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 13, 2014 8:34:21 PM PDT
Brian says:
I have a My Natural Form My Ergo Bed. I had a microdiscectomy on my lower spine due to two torn discs and a busted disk from a college football injury or injuries. Just about all spring mattresses are terrible for my back due to sagging. Air mattresses haven't worked either but I tried the My Ergo Bed and their air adjustment mattress technology has worked wonders. It is NOT very comfortable for my wife who has no back issues and it isn't what I would call comfortable for me either. But it is much better than a spring mattress once it starts sagging even a little. It allows me to sleep on my side without waking up feeling like my spine is going to snap. Basically, the mattress allows my body to sink into the mattress just enough to keep my spine straight. That has been very helpful. I do wish it had a setting that would allow it to be a bit softer. I keep it on the softest setting and it isn't soft enough. But again, if you have back problems and haven't come-up with a good bed then this is something to strongly consider. I've spent thousands with the brand named mattresses - probably 5 of them - before finding this bed and I'm thankful I found it. Again, it is really helpful for my bad lower back, my side sleeping, and it doesn't sag - period. As a side note, stretching my back with pilates is really helpful. I actually don't do pilates but this is the best way for me to explain it. I lay on my back - for example - and pull my knee to my chest and cross my leg across my body. Stretching can rid 90% of my back pain until my back tightens up again throughout the day. I can't suggest strong enough to stretch if you have back issues. It is amazing how the back is effected by the muscles in the legs. Pain meds will just make things worse. Only take pain meds for short term pain or unbearable pain. Focus on stretching and definitely try to find a good bed!

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2014 2:45:40 PM PDT
Chanj says:
What is your experience with bedding hotline.com. I plan to buy a mattress from them

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2013 12:18:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2013 12:32:52 PM PST
Gary Lim says:
The Westin's Heavenly Bed is actually a Simmons bed (will find out the model), but in the hotels is the US made version which is different than the Malaysian made version (which I have and now want to change due to back pain) I found out to my distain.

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 1:28:22 PM PDT
Whitey says:
Has anyone had experience with amerisleep? I am deciding between amerisleep and tempflow. Both are bio green but tempflow is $1000 more. BBB for tempflow is A, for amerisleep can't find a rating but sister co rated poor also can't return foundation which is $400 on top of repackaging n cost to mail back. A little concerned abt ordering a mattress online

Posted on May 24, 2013 3:16:58 AM PDT
The best mattress for back pain depends on where the pain is and what is causing it. The type of mattress you sleep on makes all the difference as well. If you sleep on the old mattress innersprings that are connected together, instead of individual coils, and you are over 45 you might wake up with back pain that goes away as the day goes on. Serious problem back pain, that requires a doctors treatment can mean you need memory foam or latex, even an adjustable bed. I got help from the Bedding Hotline when I bought my mattress after falling off a ladder and the guy there convinced me to change to a Simmons Beautyrest and it has helped.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2013 5:40:55 PM PDT
J. Luke says:
What bed did you get? Do you have a model number? Simmons independent pocket bed. Thanks for the tip.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2013 6:56:18 AM PDT
Hi Rachael can u email me on richsimm22@live.com as i would like to ask u a few questions about your condition and foundation training?

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2013 6:51:41 AM PDT
Hi Rachael can u email me on richsimm22@live.com as i would like to ask u a few questions about your condition and foundation training?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2013 10:13:46 AM PDT
Rachael Hall says:
I also can attest to the benefits of Foundation Training. TOTALLY worth it for my upper back and SI joint pain - when nothing else helped!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 10:54:37 AM PST
CncZ says:
We are in this exact situation too!! Avoid sealy and sterns and foster!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 4:23:33 PM PST
Kasmar says:
I have neck and back problems and went the whole mile as Sleep Number sucked me in. Spent over $5,000 on what I learned was a glorified blow up mattress. Please, please think seriously and do your research before purchasing! It took me weeks to get rid of the pain caused by this mattress. I was able to return the mattress but had purchased the adjustable frame which could not be returned so lost almost $2,000. I usually always research before making a large purchase but failed to with Sleep Number. If u have no spine issues I'm sure this blow up mattress would work fine. I am always hesitant to write bad reviews but this one is warranted!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2013 10:10:19 AM PST
Sharbigbear says:
Have you heard about Dr. Eric Goodman's Foundation Training ? I've just started and even being very uneven doing the exercises, it gives me almost immediate relief from chronic back pain of 10 years. First thing I've tried that really seems to help and I've tried about everything !Foundation: Redefine Your Core, Conquer Back Pain, and Move with Confidence or go to youtube and search for a free video.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 9:10:36 AM PST
Samantha says:
I feel for all of you that have chronic lower back pain. Mine started 5 years ago after baby #3. SI joint pain that has been unbearable at times. We too are looking for a new mattress hoping that can help the pain. I had prolotherapy done 2 years ago on my SI ligament and was 95% pain free after 2 sessions. I have recently had another baby and the pain is back. I know I need more prolo, but insurance doesn't cover it and it is $500 a pop. Being pain free makes it seem worth it though. Sigh. Maybe a new bed will help.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 6:08:53 AM PST
Sounds like you need a new boyfriend. My wife is also clueless about my pain but she is ALL OVER IT to help me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 6:26:49 PM PST
steveo says:
Invested in a Stearns & Foster - used to be good but since purchased by Sealy, think the quality has suffered. Bed started to fail after two years and progressively got worse. Definite "hump" in the middle of the bed but the issue was not addressed by the local retailer or Sealy after making us jump through hoops to file a claim. Now shopping for a replacement but will never consider a Sealy product again (including Stearns and Foster). Its a shame becuae the Stearns and Foster brand was known for quality.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:07:46 PM PST
I, too, bought a Sleep Number because I have had lower back issues for years. It is a HORRIBLE bed. I attempted to return the bed and was 12 days past the 30 day return time. Everything you said about it is true. The customer service is terrible and yes, they do walk you through any problems you have, but there are service technicians to come to your home to help. When i first purchased the bed, they said someone would come out----for a $165 cost. Now they don't even do that. You must do any service yourself. A complete waste of $2000. I am doing now what I
should have done initially-i'm researching before I buy. I hope no one else wastes money on a Sleep Number bed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:02:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 9:06:12 PM PST
I, too, bought a Sleep Number because I have had lower back issues for years. It is a HORRIBLE bed. I attempted to return the bed and was 12 days past the 30 day return time. Everything you said about it is true. The customer service is terrible and yes, they do walk you through any problems you have, but there are NO service technicians to come to your home to help. When i first purchased the bed, they said someone would come out----for a $165 cost. Now they don't even do that. You must do any service yourself. A complete waste of $2000. I am doing now what I
should have done initially-i'm researching before I buy. I hope no one else wastes money on a Sleep Number bed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:20:54 PM PST
I suffer from low back pain and the sleep number bed made my pain worse.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 6:26:31 PM PDT
jmg says:
http://saatvamattress.com/our-comfort-zone.html

go here

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 6:26:16 PM PDT
jmg says:
http://saatvamattress.com/our-comfort-zone.html

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 6:26:06 PM PDT
jmg says:
go here http://saatvamattress.com/our-comfort-zone.html
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Back Pain forum (12 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Back Pain forum
Participants:  59
Total posts:  79
Initial post:  May 31, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 13, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions