Customer Discussions > Baking forum

Pyrex bowls for cake baking

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 28, 2012 3:48:45 PM PDT
Has anyone out there really used a Pyrex bowl to bake a bowl shaped cake? I am considering getting the Pyrex mixing bowls for cake "pans" to make bowl shaped cakes, and was curious as to how well it works/ doesn't work. Share your experiences with me please.
Thanks

Posted on May 28, 2012 4:29:47 PM PDT
It might not get very done in the middle being much thicker than a normal pan. Plus it might be hard to unmold unless you greased it good. I think you might have better success baking in two layers: one a normal cake pan and then a layer in the bottom of a bowl for the top (sort of like the way you'd stack two normal cakes on top of each other). But first I'd check if the bowls are oven safe, just because they appear to be the same material as the pans doesn't mean they are....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 1:56:59 AM PDT
blues clues says:
I have thought about it once but with the vision cookeware( which is suposed to be heat proof glass) exploding,
I didn't want to take a chance.
I bought some mixing bowl set made out of stoneware from QVC.com. they have a big selection on their website
and the prices are reasonable.
Temp-tations Old World 16-piece Oven-to-Table Set
they are stoneware so you can mix your cake, bake, store in fridge or freeze in them too.
they bake evenly and release the cake easy. the best thing about it is that the clean up is a breeze!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 2:36:37 PM PDT
Very helpful, Thank you very much. I'll check it out. :)

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 9:35:38 AM PDT
Why don't you use the Pyrex round casserole dishes? They are round and are made to be baked in the oven, regardless of the contents. I have baked cakes in both Pyrex casserole dishes and the Pyrex French White casserole dishes for different shapes. Just make sure you coat the insides well with butter and flour or spray with Pam for Baking or Baker's Joy cooking sprays.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 2:05:41 PM PDT
G. Cuevas says:
I use stainless steel mixing bowls for baking bowl shaped cakes. You could do a google search for a site called cake central for forum discussions about baking instructions.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2012 4:53:31 AM PDT
Grandma says:
If you are using the Pyrex mixing bowls that are oven safe, then yes, they do work, though I usually use my stainless steel bowls. I've never had any problems unmolding the cakes at all - FAR easier than getting a cake out of any of those shaped pans. Just be sure to grease and flour the inside of the bowl. If you are using a fairly small bowl, then you can bake as you normally would. If you're using a large bowl or one that is deeper than about 3 or 3.5 inches, then you will want to decrease your baking temperature by about 25 degrees and may have to increase the baking time. If your cake starts to brown too much lay a double thickness of aluminum foil over the top.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 11:30:35 AM PDT
JGF says:
My friend made Barbie doll cakes years ago and baked the cake in Pyrex mixing bowls for the skirt, then made a hole for a naked Barbie doll to stand up. Then you ice around the doll to make a bodice and ice the skirt. They were really cute and easy to do. So, yes, you can use them to bake a cake. I bake Irish Soda Bread in my Pyrex mixing bowl all the time.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Baking forum (77 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Baking forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  May 28, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions