Customer Discussions > Baking forum

Need your opinion Please about what books to get

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 21, 2010 8:34:11 AM PDT
southiebell says:
Hi everyone! I have been cooking for a long time but am just now getting into making cakes (taking class) and getting more into baking pastries, cakes, cupcakes, and items I would love to make for starting my own bakery one day. (We will be moving up to Alaska and I would love to make something awesome to offer at my bakery) Could you please suggest some books that I should get? I can follow cooking directions and love cooking and baking. Thank you in advance for your help!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2010 11:04:08 AM PDT
Southern Cakes, by Nancy McDermott is a fun read, and the cakes are good.

Posted on Oct 25, 2010 3:46:18 AM PDT
Grandma says:
southiebell, if you are learning to bake in order to open your own bakery I would strongly urge you to take at least one class on professional quantity baking. Mass production, even on the small scale required in a smallish bakery, is a totally different ballgame than turning out a couple of cakes in your kitchen. Amazon does carry some baking books of the textbook sort you would use in such a class. You might check those out.

Posted on Oct 26, 2010 9:41:40 PM PDT
A. Wyatt says:
I am a professional pastry chef getting ready to open my own bakery in CO and a few of my favorite pastry books are "The Secrets of Baking" by Sherry Yard, "Tartine" by Elisabeth Pruett and Chad Robertson, "The Last Course" by Claudia Flemming (sadly out of print), and "Dolce Italiano" by Gina DePalma. The Secrets of Baking is probably the most basic and comprehensive of all of them, but the rest have some really stellar recipes as well as offer a lot of inspiration for flavor combinations, composed desserts, etc. Also, if you are going to do bread baking I highly recommend "Amy's Bread". It is one of the most thorough and well written bread books I've come across. Best of luck in your new venture!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2010 12:48:27 AM PDT
T. Baker says:
I agree completely.
Check out these books for professional baking. They are very comprehensive and interesting too!

Professional Baking
The Professional Pastry Chef: Fundamentals of Baking and Pastry, 4th Edition

Posted on Oct 27, 2010 7:07:46 PM PDT
southiebell says:
Thank you ALL for the advice I will be picking these up as soon as I can. Your help is muchly appreciated!

Posted on Nov 1, 2010 9:54:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2010 2:11:01 PM PDT
Bundtlust says:
In addition to the great suggestions above, these are in constant rotation in my kitchen:

The Pastry Queen: Royally Good Recipes from the Texas Hill Country's Rather Sweet Bakery & Cafe
Baked: New Frontiers in Baking and Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented
Baking: From My Home to Yours and Paris Sweets: Great Desserts From the City's Best Pastry Shops by Dorie Greenspan
Bake!: Essential Techniques for Perfect Baking and A Baker's Tour: Nick Malgieri's Favorite Baking Recipes from Around the World by Nick Malgieri
Death by Chocolate: The Last Word on a Consuming Passion and The Ghirardelli Chocolate Cookbook: Recipes and History from America's Premier Chocolate Maker
Great Coffee Cakes, Sticky Buns, Muffins & More: 200 Anytime Treats and Special Sweets for Morning to Midnight

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2010 8:55:47 AM PDT
Mrs. Ratfire says:
I would never live without the Joy of Cooking, as it explains technique so well. I recently purchased the Art & Soul of Baking by Sur La Table, author Cindy Mushet. I recommend it! Kristy

Posted on Nov 4, 2010 4:33:32 AM PDT
MN Sunny C. says:
About Baking: Heff's Girls Tell All

Posted on Dec 9, 2010 10:40:16 PM PST
A Customer says:
I recommend anything written by Rose Levy Beranbaum, such as, The Cake Bible, Rose's Heavenly Cakes, The Pie And Pastry Bible and The Bread Bible

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2010 10:52:03 AM PST
The Simple Art of Perfect Baking by Flo Braker is a must have, I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2010 7:54:24 AM PST
Just Movers says:
I just bought a bread making dvd collection of bread making on another site. It is great as all steps of bread making are fully demonstrated by the seller of the dvds. The collection is $60.00 but wow they are they worth it. A picture /demonstration truly is worth a thousand words. I will send him a note encouraging him to sell them here on my favorite site Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 5:18:02 AM PST
A Customer says:
I agree. Anything by Flo Braker.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 6:19:37 PM PST
Kiss My Bundt is a great book to have.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 5:14:24 PM PST
lubna hirani says:
can you please post name of site where you bought this bread making DVD collection thanks
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Baking forum (77 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Baking forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Oct 21, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions