Customer Discussions > Baseball forum

Best baseball writers?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 22, 2009 6:24:19 PM PST
John Nemo says:
In recent years, I'd say I've really enjoyed Thomas Boswell's work. His story on discovering a bunch of old baseball cards from his childhood in the attic (this was during the late 1980s boom for baseball card collecting) and getting them appraised is priceless.

Posted on Feb 24, 2009 7:41:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2009 12:33:08 PM PST
K.A.Goldberg says:
Yes, Boswell is excellent, as are Roger Kahn (BOYS OF SUMMER, etc.), Roger Angell (SUMMER GAME, LATE INNINGS, etc.), and Dan Okrent (NINE INNINGS). Stats-guru Bill James is also a pretty good writer.

No doubt there are many others.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2009 7:46:21 PM PST
Desert Rat says:
Hey John What is the name of the Boswell book about finding baseball cards. Thanks

Posted on Feb 27, 2009 11:30:56 AM PST
Jerome Holtzman

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2009 11:40:04 AM PST
John Nemo says:
It is called Cracking The Show. Here's a link: Cracking the Show

Posted on Feb 27, 2009 1:47:58 PM PST
I don't remember the name but I always enjoyed a book called Short Season. It was a series of short stories that followed the season of a fictional class-a short season team. I must got it at least 10 years ago.

Posted on Mar 6, 2009 10:20:30 AM PST
Mark in STL says:
Tom Stanton's books are great, especially "The Final Season". I really enjoyed Tom Posnanski's book on Buck O'Neil, and David Mariniss' book "Clemente". I also enjoyed all of David Halberstam's baseball books.

Posted on Mar 28, 2009 4:54:54 PM PDT
Bill Emblom says:
Any baseball book written by David Halberstam and the two Rogers (Angell and Kahn).

Posted on Mar 30, 2009 6:48:57 PM PDT
butchivey says:
Roger Khan, is still my favorite Baseball writer, what he did with Boys of summer was unsurpassed for the history of the times and the discriptions of Baseball games.

Posted on Apr 1, 2009 5:39:43 PM PDT
Howard Bryant -- SHUT OUT.
Nonfiction.
www.princeoffenwaypark.com

Posted on Apr 16, 2009 6:36:39 AM PDT
Bill James for stats related stuff. Roger Kahn for stories about the old days. Among newspaper/internet guys, I like Jayson Stark and Rob Neyer. Tom Verducci does a good job for Sports Illustrated. I also like myself among the blogosphere, though I can't compete with the pros. My site, National Pastime, can be found at:

http://myteamrivals.typepad.com/nationalpastime

Other good sites on My Team Rivals are Phanatic Phillies Phorum, Marlins Musings and Baseball Is My Boyfriend (about the Texas Rangers - written by a young woman)

Posted on May 25, 2009 7:34:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2009 7:35:16 AM PDT
Applejedi1 says:
The best baseball writers? Try the ones at MLN Sports Zone, the oldest minor league publication (10 years). Every year they find the next crop of great players in the MLN FAB50 rankings that spank Baseball America, because they're based on movement (realities of the particular farm system's depth chart) and talent, and they aren't used as trading tools by the owners, so there is no pressure to skew them. They also do features on great up-and-coming players two to three years before you will see them on a cover of ESPN The Magazine or SI. (www.mlnsportszone.com)

Posted on May 27, 2009 5:22:59 AM PDT
Len Drasin says:
Recently discovred Joe Poznanski.What a treasure. What an amazing basebal writer. An absolute joy to read. The best, bar none.

Posted on Jun 1, 2009 11:00:39 AM PDT
C. S. Klein says:
Ira Berkow

Posted on Oct 22, 2009 1:03:17 PM PDT
I thought JACK LANG long time writer of the Dodgers ,who passed away a few years ago was very good.I had the pleasure of meeting with and speaking with him a few times

Posted on Oct 23, 2009 12:53:28 PM PDT
Darren Pare says:
I definitely wouldn't put my name up with the greats but I just published my first baseball novel, 33 Summers, and I hope you will check it out.

Darren L. Pare
33 Summers

Posted on Nov 24, 2009 5:14:32 PM PST
If I may contribute? I have always enjoyed Lawrence Ritter, Ray Robinson, Marty Appel, Mike Sowell, Charles C. Alexander and others. For the record, I was a friend of Mr. Ritter's (he always wanted to be called Larry) and still miss our email conversations. He was a very sincere and genuine individual, a true gentleman.

Posted on Jan 11, 2010 12:20:42 PM PST
As a Detroit-area resident, I am often exposed to the spin doctoring of local owners and the whining of the local fans about the '84 Tigers, bit I found David Halberstam and the two rogers on my own. A current treasure is Tim Kurkjian.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2010 9:04:20 PM PDT
btd says:
David,

As a David and a long-time resident of Tiger Stadium, now an ex-patriot of the city, what whining about the '84 Tigers are you talking about? I was there for all the games and downtown for the post- celebrations, avid reader of the Freep and the Detroit News and don't recall that.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2010 10:04:54 AM PDT
DH,
The protocol in the city is "beat the proverbial dead horse". Prior to '84, we were inundated by newsreels and quasi-tearjerkers in the papers about the '68 Tigers. Surely, you recall that? Perhaps you recall the fat kid beaming with his Tiger pennant standing in the foreground of the picture on page one, as an overturned police car burned behind him on Trumbull. The national news had a field day with that. Currently, Uncle Bud is hawking "Official MLB Memorabilia" at major league media. You can't manufacture memories, and there's something criminal about selling facsimiles that I resent the hell out of. Must be the Goldman-Sachs influence.
I'm stuck here, so I laugh at the irony.

Posted on Apr 30, 2010 10:05:44 AM PDT
BTW, DH, the term is ex-patriate.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2010 11:19:36 AM PDT
btd says:
David,

Oh sure I do remember all the hearkening back to the '68 team. I also remember the media claiming that the '68 Tigers' run for the pennant and World Series was the only thing that kept Detroit from burning again that year as it had the previous year. (And I had to work and travel about the metro area during that stuff.)

It's funny, or ironic, when they won the ring in 1968, I was in the hospital -- in St. Louis, of all places. There were come mild mannered complaints that I was plying my radio too loud, (no TV) but I'm sure it only because I was listening to the games. And then I went around among the rooms on the floor, passing out hospital towel and calling them Cardinal Crying Towels hehe.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2010 1:05:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2010 1:08:20 PM PDT
Well done. I watched Gane 7 on TV and still can't see where Curt Flood slipped in the mud on Jim Northrup's triple.

Posted on Apr 30, 2010 1:07:26 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 30, 2010 1:08:33 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2010 4:46:00 PM PDT
btd says:
I don't really recall. I didn't have TV to see it.

Say, you're still in Detroit, right? What do you think of Northrup as a radio announcer. I used to have XM radio just for baseball, that is until they got too expensive and then merged with Sirius. Now I have MLB Game Day Audio, as well as Internet radio, and occasionally I catch a game. When I left town for good in '92, there was still Ernie Harwell. I have been well and truly spoiled. Of course here in Wisconsin we have Eucker for the Brewers. He's not bad. A horse of a different color. But I grew up with Ernie and sat with him along with thousands of others through long rain delays, being entertained with his memory and grace.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Baseball forum (47 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Baseball forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Feb 22, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions