Customer Discussions > Beatles forum

The Daily Beat - founded 2011 - 1

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 20, 2011 8:00:08 AM PDT
Dr. Mikey says:
W.E.--The story is in a British paper. Nice pic of Artie -- he is tonsorially challenged these days like me. (Not trying to scoop you, Dee Zee.)
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/253542/Garfunkel-gave-Lennon-reunion-advice

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 10:07:34 AM PDT
Thanks for the link Dr. Mikey.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2011 5:29:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2011 2:15:03 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
Dr. Mikey, no scoop, that's where I got it too. I just don't care for links because I have to copy and paste them instead of just click on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 2:16:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2011 2:16:49 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
Anyone here care to report on the 2 McCartney reissues?

I didn't buy them, waiting for feedback.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 4:39:12 PM PDT
DKPete says:
Dee Zee...give me a few days old bud...the CD's of both and the vinyl of one are on the way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 6:56:06 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
Take your time DK, I was hoping you'd chime in sometime - as you will.

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 7:03:54 PM PDT
Dr. Mikey says:
Dee Zee, I asked the same question on the McCartney thread and haven't had too much response. I think they have been out long enough for some feedback. Like you, I'm eager to know.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 7:08:55 PM PDT
DKPete says:
..there are already some customer reviews over at Amazon..they all sound quite favorable on "McCartney", at least.

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 9:10:52 PM PDT
Dr. Mikey says:
Pete, I've looked at the reviews on Amazon and they look "mixed" at best. McCartney is at 3.5/5 and Mac II at 4/5, albeit the sample is quite small at this point. There seem to be a lot of disappointed people, although many do criticize the songs themselves and there is little comment on the new mastering. I guess some folks were not familiar with the original songs and expected something else. I just wonder how much better the new ones sound, whether the "bonus" stuff is worthwhile, and if the "books" are worth the price of the big package. Guess I'll wait for more info before deciding what I'll buy. As Goober said on The Andy Griffith Show, "I ain't no Rockefeller."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 4:33:24 AM PDT
DKPete says:
Dr. Mickey...I only read a couple of them and those which spoke of the sound quality appeared positive to me. I also spotted very positive feedback on the books...especially for the first album .Anyway, I'll have to wait another day or two and make up my own mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2011 6:30:57 PM PDT
DKPete says:
Dee Zee and Dr. Mickey, i just got my McCartney and McCartney II deluxe "book" sets.

I have not had a chance to sit with the music as of yet (I also bought the vinyl of the former) but I did want to share my "so far" opinion on the packaging.

The two books-especially the one for McCartney-floored me; absolutely gorgeous in their layout and presentation. The McCartney one, in particular, has a plethora of incredible photos from that era the vast majority of which I have never seen before. Paul in all his phases in that time period...without beard (looking like an Abbey Road Paul with longer hair), growing the beard, with full beard, in the studio, on the beach, around the house...nicely done layouts of the recorder he used for the album and, of course, plenty of commentary from Paul himself.

I want to note that the he books are also very well put-together...in other words, given some average care, they will not come apart. Packaging -wise, these are two very nicely made products.

The discs are encased in an extra thick grade two pages at the back of eack book and sit inside "pockets".

On a side note, the album cover of the vinyl seems to be of a slightly thicker grade than that of the BOTR vinyl remaster which disappointed me. But it's still a bit too thin and tighly fitted for a double album set. It's a struggle to pull the Lp's and inner sleeves out of the jacket and equally a struggle to pull the Lp's out of the sleeves themselves; they have to be forcefully pulled out making it impossible not to soil at the edges.

Daily life's been pretty hectic for me these days so I have to make time to sit and attentively listen to these new toys (as well as view the DVD's). I'll be back.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2011 6:53:14 AM PDT
Dee Zee says:
Hey DK, I went ahead and ordered the 2 CD set of McCartney, I should be listening by next week. Keep us posted on your thoughts.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2011 6:54:46 AM PDT
Tero says:
Have not played much McCartney. I like the NY concert, but they could have left something out. For years I wanted to hear Back In The USSR without airplane sound effects. They put it in there even live.

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 12:26:59 PM PDT
My 2 CD version of McCartney came in yesterday. The remastering on the album is just a hair better than the previous remastering, so no great improvement there. As far as CD 2, I found it quite disappointing. There was an obvious reason for Suicide not being released - it's not that good. The one hand clapping Maybe I'm Amazed is OK - it was nice to hear without the voiceover- but not that special. The live cuts from Kampuchea were EXTREMELY disappointing. They slowed down Every Night so that it plods, Hot As Sun is, at best, pedestrian, and Maybe I'm Amazed is just another live version, neither bettter nor worse than any others. The Ooo You first trial is not even intersting and the last cut was a demo and should (and did) stay that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2011 3:42:46 PM PDT
DKPete says:
William, Mickey and Dee Zee...William, I have to disagree. I did not listen to the entire CD yet but based on your post, I "A-B'd" certain key spots (...well..what I consider key spots). These are, the intro to Man We Was Lonely, the intro of That Would Be Something, Maybe I'm Amazed through the first guitar solo, about half of Every Night and all of The Lovely Linda.

While this is not the greatest remastering job I've ever heard, there is a definitive improvment over the last issue of the CD (the Holland remaster from the early nineties). And it's not just about volume levels.

While the levels are, indeed, all up, I hear an increased presence and crispness in the acoustic guitars. The bass on Every Night has more clarity and the bass drum, in particular, more 'thickness". The drums in Maybe I'm Amazed have the increased level of a clean "punch" which is very welcomed in CD's where the percussion previously had a somewhat muffled tone to it. The acoustic guitar chord strum/hits in the inro of Man We Was Lonely are more succinct...louder, yes, but I can almost envision the strums the way they sound here.

From what I've heard so far, I give this remaster (of the actual album) a pretty good "rating". It's not as "jump out" as the Badfinger Apple re-issues but it is, for all intents and purposes, an improvement and i heard enough to look very forward to sitting with the whole thing...worth getting in my opinion (and I can't speak highly enough of the book in the deluxe edition so if you're a Beatles/Paul/1970 period fan, I consider it a must in ones' collection...great photo work by Linda...and the photos which we knew from the original album look that much better).

As far as the so-called bonus CD, it's the content which matters more, I suppose; and in THAT department, I was disappointed when I read the pre-release track list so no surprises there, William. Much of the stuff I already have in one format or another and, for the 110th time...I am NOT interested in updated live performances of these classic songs...my interest lies in alternate or unfinished studio takes.

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 6:18:11 PM PDT
@William E.Houser Jr: I like "Suicide"!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2011 4:23:27 AM PDT
That's fine Michael, I just find it awkward. It has parts that I like, but I don't feel that the parts mesh coherently together as a song.

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 1:20:40 PM PDT
@William E.Houser Jr: well, it's no "You Never Give Me Your Money", I'll give it that. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2011 6:51:34 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
FYI, for those who are interested, if you pre-order Bruce Spizer's new book "Beatles For Sale on Parlophone Records" before July 15, your book will ship in August.

As for me, I'm looking forward to it.

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 7:53:49 PM PDT
yeah Dee Zee I'm hoping to buy before July 15 too. Btw, I asked you about stereo mixing on the MMT, Stereo v.s. Mono thread, did you see it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2011 5:57:18 AM PDT
Dee Zee says:
Hey WE, I'll get back to you on Glyn Johns. he engineered a lot of the Stones recordings.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2011 6:01:36 AM PDT
Dee Zee says:
Does a recording exist of the ENTIRE Beatles Candlestick Park concert 1966? I've heard 2 cuts from the show, Nowhere Man and Paperback Writer and they show the Fabs playing a blistering rock and roll we don't care anymore flat out grunge concert.

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 8:56:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2011 8:58:05 PM PDT
So has anyone here got any of the Kinks 2-disc deluxe editions of "Face To Face", "Something Else" and "Arthur" that came out a couple days back?

I'm about to, most likely this weekend, but I was wondering if anyone had heard them yet. I have been eagerly awaiting them...I am especially looking forward to hearing a remastered stereo mix of "Face To Face", as the last remaster was in mono I believe. The new editions have both mono and stereo mixes on them, plus alternate takes/alternate mixes/b-sides/BBC sessions etc.!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2011 5:23:56 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
I bought the download of the Anthology Highlightts. Burned a CD. Played the CD comparing this new "remaster" to the original 1995 CDs. Guess what? The original CD sounds 10 times better than this new version. Save your money and buy the old CDs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2011 5:36:32 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
This came up in the Classic Rock forum but the copy of Let It Be I have, has a poster included, a fairly large one of the front cover of the album. Did all the US copies have posters?
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 229 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Beatles forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  5707
Initial post:  Jan 24, 2011
Latest post:  2 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions