Customer Discussions > Beatles forum

The Daily Beat - founded 2011 - 1

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2011 6:09:55 AM PDT
Tero says:
I wish they would just issue LIB with a disc of outtakes of songs. I only have a bootleg DVD and it is a burned DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 7:02:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2011 7:02:37 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
On the list by Record Collector magazine of the most collectible records available today, The Beatles 1963 debut album Please Please Me, mint condition copies can go for $5,800 each, comes in second on the list, behind only rare A&M records copies of the Sex Pistols' God Save The Queen.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 7:13:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2011 5:56:16 AM PDT
Dee Zee says:
The photo on the cover of Introducing the Beatles on Vee Jay. Is it by Astrid Kirchherr? I just saw a photo of hers on the Snap Gallery (London) web site and it looks similar to the same session. Just curious.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2011 5:14:32 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
FYI
The Rolling Stones - In Studio: Greatest Albums from the 70s to 00s SHM-CD Box Set
Review from an UK purchaser:

This isn't cheap but it is worth every penny - including VAT & customs, which cost me another £80. On a recent holiday to Tokyo I picked up a SHM-CD of Let It Bleed and when I heard it, the jaw-dropping sound quality made me wish I had the rest. And now I do!

1 - The packaging. Absolutely stunning. Every album from 1971-2006 is collected here in miniture replica vinyl sleeves, themselves packaged in protective plastic jackets. Sticky Fingers and Undercover both come with alternate sleeves, and Some Girls has four!

2 - The extras. Exile on Main Street doesn't include the recent bonus disc but has better packaging and includes tiny replica postcards. Also inserted throughout this set are posters, stickers and even a replica subsciption advert for the fanzine.

3 - The sound. Best of all. Every album is the most recent remastered edition, but with the added bonus of being presented on the Japanese Super High Master CDs. I've owned all these albums before on standard CD, and believe me when I say that they've never sounded as good as this!

All of this is collected in a handsome numbered limited-edition LP size box, which is also beautifully designed on the inside. If you can afford to treat yourself, I insist that you do. A thing of beauty!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2011 1:07:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2011 1:13:23 AM PDT
N. Parkinson says:
Dee Zee says:
"The photo on the cover of Introducing the Beatles on Vee Jay. Is it by Astrid Kirchherr?"

No, it's by Angus McBean. The photo was first used on a Parlophone EP and the credit is printed right on the FRONT of the sleeve! Astrid never took colour photos of the Beatles, at least not in 1962. But undoubtedly it was a 'copy' of Astrid's picture, just as Robert Freeman's 'with the Beatles' photo is a 'copy' of another of Astrid's.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2011 5:50:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2011 1:38:00 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
Hi N.,
I just wondered because I've seen shot attributed to Astrid with them sitting around the same chair and individual shots as well in the same chair. The link is here:
http://www.snapgalleries.com/musicians/beatles/

But your right, this is B&W.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2011 1:37:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2011 5:12:46 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
It was announced today that McCartney and McCartney II are the next releases in the Paul McCartney Archive Collection on 13th/14th June 2011. Paul's seminal solo albums will be available in multiple configurations featuring remastered rare and unreleased audio & video content and with special exclusive packaging.

And DK, you'll be happy to hear, there will be 2 disc vinyl versions issued of both albums as well as 2 CD versions and CD/DVD versions with digital download.

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 9:12:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2011 9:14:31 PM PDT
Just some news for Kink-philes: The first three UK Kinks albums ("The Kinks", "Kinda Kinks" and "The Kink Kontroversy") have just been released in 2-disc deluxe editions. Even more exciting, "Face To Face", "Something Else", "Arthur" and "Muswell Hillbillies" are all being given similar treatment on June 6! ("The Village Green Preservation Society", of course, has already received 3-disc deluxe treatment--and a great set that was.) Not sure what happened to "Lola...Pt 1" but perhaps they're saving it for a bit because it was their most commercially successful album of the classic period.

Any Beatle fan who has not heard these Kinks albums from the 1966-71 era should check them out ASAP.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2011 7:25:27 AM PDT
Dee Zee says:
McCartney and McCartney II. Special and deluxe configurations of both reissues will be available June 14th via MPL and the Concord Music Group.

Originally released in 1970, McCartney's self-titled solo debut features tracks like "Every Night", "Junk", and "Maybe I'm Amazed". The special edition reissue will consist of two discs featuring the original remastered album plus seven bonus audio tracks including the previously unreleased outtakes "Suicide" and "Don't Cry Baby" and a rare live 1979 recording of "Maybe I'm Amazed". The deluxe edition will include all the aforementioned as well as bonus DVD featuring rare and previously unseen footage, a 128-page hard bound book containing many exclusive and unpublished photos by Paul and Linda McCartney, original album artwork, downloadable hi-res audio versions of the remastered album and bonus audio tracks, an illustrated history of the making of the album, and expanded track by track information for the two audio discs as well as detailed historical information on the film content.

McCartney II was originally released in 1980, following nine years of touring and the release several albums Wings. The record featured classics such as "Coming Up," "Waterfalls," and "Temporary Secretary". The two-disc special edition reissue sports the original remastered album plus eight bonus tracks including B-Sides and alternative versions. The deluxe edition features consists of all the aforementioned as well as bonus DVD featuring rare and previously unseen footage (including performances of `Coming Up' and the new video for the unreleased track `Blue Sway'), an additional eight rare bonus audio tracks exclusive to the edition, 128-page hard bound book featuring many previously unpublished photos by Linda McCartney, original album and single artwork, downloadable hi-res audio versions of the remastered album, an illustrated history of the making of the album, and expanded track by track information for all three audio discs plus detailed historical information on the film content.

Both original remastered albums and bonus audio content will also be issued as 2-disc 180gm audiophile vinyl editions which will come with an MP3 download of all included audio. The special and deluxe versions of McCartney and McCartney II will also be made available digitally worldwide.

Below, you can find tracklists for the configurations.

McCartney Tracklist:
CD 1 - Remastered Album
01. The Lovely Linda
02. That Would Be Something
03. Valentine Day
04. Every Night
05. Hot As Sun / Glasses
06. Junk
07. Man We Was Lonely
08. Oo You
09. Momma Miss America
10. Teddy Boy
11. Singalong Junk
12. Maybe I'm Amazed
13. Kreen-Akrore

CD 2 - Bonus Audio Tracks
01. Suicide [Out-take]
02. Maybe I'm Amazed [From One Hand Clapping]
03. Every Night [Live At Glasgow, 1979]
04. Hot As Sun [Live At Glasgow, 1979]
05. Maybe I'm Amazed [Live At Glasgow, 1979]
06. Don't Cry Baby [Out-take]
07. Women Kind (Demo) [Mono]

DVD - Bonus Film
01. The Album Story
02. The Beach
03. Maybe I'm Amazed Music Video
04. Suicide [from One Hand Clapping]
05. Every Night [Live at Concert for the People of Kampuchea]
06. Hot As Sun [Live at Concert for the People of Kampuchea]
07. Junk [MTV Unplugged]
08. That Would Be Something [MTV Unplugged]

McCartney II Tracklist:
CD 1 - Remastered Album
01. Coming Up
02. Temporary Secretary
03. On The Way
04. Waterfalls
05. Nobody Knows
06. Front Parlour
07. Summer's Day Song
08. Frozen Jap
09. Bogey Music
10. Darkroom
11. One Of These Days

CD 2 - Bonus Audio 1
01. Blue Sway [With Richard Niles Orchestration]
02. Coming Up [Live At Glasgow, 1979]
03. Check My Machine [Edit]
04. Bogey Wobble
05. Secret Friend
06. Mr H Atom / You Know I'll Get you Baby
07. Wonderful Christmastime [Edited Version]
08. All You Horse Riders / Blue Sway

CD 3- Bonus Audio 2 (DELUXE 3 CD - 1 DVD EDITION ONLY)
01. Coming Up [Full Length Version]
02. Front Parlour [Full Length Version]
03. Frozen Jap [Full Length Version]
04. Darkroom [Full Length Version]
05. Check My Machine [Full Length Version]
06. Wonderful Christmastime [Full Length Version]
07. Summer's Day Song [Original without vocals]
08. Waterfalls [DJ Edit]

DVD - Bonus Film
01. Meet Paul McCartney
02. Coming Up Music Video
03. Waterfalls Music Video
04. Wonderful Christmastime Music Video
05. Coming Up [Live at Concert for the People of Kampuchea]
06. Coming Up [taken from a rehearsal session at Lower Gate Farm, 1979]
07. Making the Coming Up Music Video
08. Blue Sway

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2011 8:13:00 AM PDT
Dee Zee says:
The soundtrack of the film "The Family Way," featuring a score by Paul McCartney, gets its first official CD release via Varèse Sarabande July 26. Taken from the original mono master tapes, the disc will include one bonus track, a previously unreleased stereo mix of "A Theme From The Family Way," the B-Side of the single of the film's "Love in the Open Air" by the Tudor Minstrels.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2011 6:26:38 AM PDT
Dee Zee says:
'Rave On Buddy Holly' Celebrates Rock Icon's 75th Birthday And Enduring Legacy

Daringly Original Tribute Collection Features My Morning Jacket, The Black Keys, Modest Mouse, Nick Lowe, Florence + The Machine, Cee Lo Green, Paul McCartney, Kid Rock, Lou Reed, Patti Smith, Julian Casablancas and more.

In his short-lived but extraordinary life, Buddy Holly left behind a body of work so enthralling, his enduring influence is nearly impossible to overstate. The melodic joy and fierce independent streak at the core of his artistry is profoundly felt on Rave On Buddy Holly, a 19-song collection of indelible Holly covers by a rich assemblage of current musical visionaries and creative kindred spirits. Fantasy/Concord will release Rave On Buddy Holly June 28, 2011.

Posted on May 4, 2011 2:41:14 PM PDT
DRM says:
Dee Zee has "what's up and coming" before anyone else.

Yes to Buddy Holly, somehow underrated for the impact he had.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2011 3:41:28 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
If anyone here has never delved into the Buddy Holly catalog, they owe it to themselves to explore his music. It's great stuff and very influential on the Fabs.

Posted on May 4, 2011 4:01:12 PM PDT
DRM says:
Listening to "Words of Love" by Buddy foretells the Beatles.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2011 5:43:09 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
Jerry Seinfeld was a guest on comedian Tom Papa's limited edition show "Come To Papa" on SiriusXM, and the iconic comedian discussed a wide range of topics -- including the fact that he was inspired by The Beatles when deciding to end his hit sitcom "Seinfeld" after nine years.

"The Beatles ended too soon for me," said Seinfeld in the interview. "That hunger for The Beatles has lasted my whole life. Whenever a Beatles song comes on the radio I reach for the volume and turn it up, because I still haven't gotten enough of them. That was really how I made the decision."

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2011 8:10:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2011 8:11:18 AM PDT
Dee Zee says:
John Walker, one of the founders of 1960s group The Walker Brothers, has died at the age of 67.

His spokeswoman said Mr Walker died on Saturday at his Los Angeles home after a six-month battle with liver cancer.

The band was formed when three unrelated US musicians - Scott Engel, John Maus and Gary Leeds - adopted the Walker Brothers name in 1964.

Their biggest hits included the songs Make It Easy On Yourself and The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine (Any More).

The group's fame flourished after travelling to the UK in the 1960s and they continued to score huge commercial success in the 1970s.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2011 10:01:47 AM PDT
Dee Zee,

Just wanted to let you know that the CDs arrived...and I'm impressed. The Yellow Submarine CD was better than the original release BY FAR and it was nice to hear AHDN in all it's glory. Thank you so much.

Posted on May 9, 2011 11:54:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2011 11:55:40 AM PDT
ED S. says:
David Mason has died and I hate talking about obituarys. Life is for the living and if you are reading this, you are not dead.
David Mason was the trumpet player on "Penny Lane". That trumpet is a signature of that song. Mason contends that it was not "speeded up" in post recording and has in the past proved that by playing the piece.
"They were jolly high notes, quite taxing, but with the tapes rolling we did two takes as overdubs on top of the existing song" sez Mason.
He used a B-flat piccolo trumpet for the high pitched solo.
He also played on "A Day In The Life", "Magical Mystery Tour" and "All You Need Is Love".
Paul McCartney "discovered" him while watching Mason on television playing a classical piece by Bach.

Google or Bing.....los angeles times/trumpet player on penny lane

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2011 2:15:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2011 2:22:30 PM PDT
DRM says:
The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore is tremendous. Central song to the movie "Truly Madly Deeply".

Some of their music was certainly melodramatic but I love the sun song when "you're without love".

I've just a few minutes ago moved the "Silver Collection" by the Walker Brothers from my wish list...where it's been for a while, to my cart.

Scott Walker had a "unique" solo career. It may be Scott singing lead on the sun song...but they were the Walker Brothers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eAxCVTMJ-I

The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore
(Bob Crewe/Bob Gaudio)

Loneliness is a coat you wear
The dark shade of blue is always there

Emptiness is a place you're in
With nothing to lose and nothing to win

The sun ain't gonna shine anymore
The moon ain't gonna rise in the sky
The tears are always clouding your eyes
When you're without her

Posted on May 9, 2011 3:39:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2011 3:39:54 PM PDT
That's sad news about David Mason, but I'm sure he lived a long, full life--and has left his permanent place in history. That trumpet solo will be heard over the airwaves for decades--nay, centuries--to come.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2011 3:46:51 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
Your welcome, William, glad you enjoyed them.

Posted on May 10, 2011 5:47:52 AM PDT
Tero says:
Storing your recordings: bunkers are best.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/may/08/entertainment/la-ca-library-congress-packard-20110508

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2011 12:53:48 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
Just heard about this, never thought of it before.
The 27 Club, also occasionally known as the Forever 27 Club or Club 27, is a name for a group of influential rock and blues musicians who all died at the age of 27.

Posted on May 11, 2011 2:45:37 PM PDT
DRM says:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zphAHMPtu4g&feature=related

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2011 3:16:59 PM PDT
R. Bone says:
A friend of mine pointed this out to me back in April and we set about a little research and there are quite a few who bit the big one at that age...........33 also seems to be another age to watch out for ......
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Beatles forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  7349
Initial post:  Jan 24, 2011
Latest post:  7 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions