Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Beatles forum

Paul, Mick And Marianne

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 14, 2012 2:44:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2012 2:56:25 AM PDT
I was browsing through the new Life issue on the Rolling Stones' 50th anniversary and they had a section of photos I'd never seen before, showing Paul McCartney at a Marianne Faithfull recording session produced by Jagger, in order to help provide backing vocals on a song. The caption said the year was 1966 but from the hairstyles of McCartney and Jagger, I'd say it was around May/June 1967. Has anyone seen this issue, or these photos? Did anyone (besides the all-knowing N.Parkinson, that is) know that McCartney had attended this recording session?

I wonder if the song can be pinpointed...Faithfull's only releases in '67 were the album "Love In A Mist" (whose Feb release date would predate my guess for the time of the session in the photos), plus the single "Is This What I Get For Loving You?" (also February, plus the backing vocals are female)--and her next release wasn't until Feb of '69 with the quickly withdrawn "Something Better" (recorded Jul '68)/Sister Morphine (recorded late '68). So I can only guess that McCartney contributed to a recording session for a song that was shelved...anyone got any ideas?

There seemed to be quite a bit of back and forth between the Beatles and Stones in '67, especially the spring/summer period, with Mick and Keith on "All You Need Is Love", John and Paul on "We Love You", Brian Jones on "You Know My Name", and now McCartney on a Marianne Faithfull song. And of course each references the other band on the "Pepper" and "Satanic" covers.

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 3:59:44 AM PDT
OK so after some deep digging into an extensive Stones-and-Stones-related recording discography on the 'net, I was able to pinpoint the details of the Marianne Faithfull session in question. My guess on the date was accurate--it was May 20, 1967, and the two songs recorded were "With A Little Help From My Friends" and a Jagger/Richards song called "English Summer" (also rumored to have been attempted by the Stones in late '66 for "Between The Buttons"). I would assume that McCartney was recruited to provide the backing vocals for "With A Little Help From My Friends". My other guess, however, was also correct--both recordings were permanently shelved.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 6:26:51 AM PDT
English Summer was supposedly a planned follow-up single to Let's Spend the Night Together/Ruby Tuesday. I have heard conflicting reports - one said the B-side of it was to be Dandelion (also started during BTB), another said it was a working title for what became Dandelion. At any rate everything got delayed thanks to Mick & Keith's arrest.

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 12:18:11 PM PDT
@BFD: I had heard that the working title for "Dandelion" was "Sometimes Happy, Sometimes Blue", although that might have just been something the bootleggers concocted to label the rough rehearsal take from the BTB sessions with Keith's vocal on it. I'm pretty sure "English Summer" was a separate song.

On second check I actually found another Faithfull recording session from Feb 1967, which lists a cover of the Incredible String Band's yet-to-be-released "Painting Box" as the item on the menu. McCartney is listed as on backing vocals, but this cannot be the session in the "Life" issue photos because McCartney had a mustache at that time, and he does not have one in the photos (unless there was some brief unknown period that month when he shaved it off--interestingly, the *clothing* Paul, Mick and Glyn Johns wear in the photos actually looks more Feb '67 than May '67...there was a slight difference in psychedelic fashion between those two months). "Painting Box" also must have been put on the shelf.

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 12:29:51 PM PDT
Michael, after recording BTB at RCA Jul.-Aug, or Aug.-Sept. '66, did they do any other work on the album back in London? I thought that Glyn Johns remixed the album in London at Olympic. But was there any other work done?

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 1:21:06 PM PDT
@W.E.Douglass: the bulk of the backing tracks for BTB were done from Aug 3-11 1966 at RCA in Hollywood, with the "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby...?" single recorded at IBC in London from Aug 30-Sep 2. The group returned to Olympic in London for substantial vocal and instrumental overdubs, plus the recording of some new songs ("Ruby Tuesday", most prominently) from Nov 8-26 and Dec 13, 1966. Mixing was also done at that time although there is an unsubstantiated rumor that Oldham took the tapes back to RCA for final editing and mixing (I highly doubt this, however, as the album would have sounded completely different and more like "Aftermath"--the big leap in sound quality on BTB can largely be attributed to using Olympic, I think).

Outtakes from the sessions were many; those that are verified include the excellent "Get Yourself Together" (aka "I Can See It"), the "Flowers" version of "My Girl", a rough take of "Dandelion" and the kazoo-heavy music hall instrumental "Trouble In Mind". Of these outtakes, "Get Yourself Together" was the most substantial ("Dandelion" was just a rough draft w/different lyrics at this point) and should have made the album IMO. Unverified outtakes include "Godzi", "Panama Powder Room", "Something BB", "Ya Bask Blues", "It's Been Quiet Here At Home" and "English Summer".

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 1:28:54 PM PDT
Michael, so Glyn Johns engineered or produced all these sessions?

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 2:14:27 PM PDT
@W.E.Douglass: no, Dave Hassinger was the engineer at RCA. Glyn Johns engineered back at Olympic (which I believe was the first time the group worked with him), and also mixed the album (although there is the rumor I mentioned that Oldham did further mixing at RCA). Oldham produced all of their albums up until about 2/3 of the way through the "Satanic" sessions (which was largely produced by the Stones from the beginning, anyways).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 2:15:16 PM PDT
Glyn Johns engineered only the Olympic Studios sessions. The RCA sessions were engineered as always by Dave Hassinger.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012 4:06:56 PM PDT
I saw that photo. Made me wonder about something Paul said. That Ruby was his favorite Stones song, has any of the other 7 band members ever said "this is my favorite Beatle/Stones song?".

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 2:10:17 PM PDT
alysha25 says:
I've always thought Marianne Faithful was a strange one. Have you ever seen the movie "Girl on a motorcycle?" Definitely worth seeing IMO. Then there were her bizarre backing vocals in that Metallica song that got way too much airplay.

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 8:03:45 PM PDT
Bob Bykowski says:
Supposedly, when Paul recorded his beautiful vocal for "Here, There and Everywhere", he wanted to try and put the song across as if Marianne Faithfull was singing it. The Marianne Faithfull of that time period, of course -- NOT the Marianne who later recorded the bruising 'Broken English' album !
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Beatles forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Beatles forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Jul 14, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions