Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Melanie Martinez $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Beatles forum

Led Zeppelin - a better band than The Beatles..?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 437 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2012 8:50:49 PM PST
M. C. Jones says:
I just watched the Kennedy Center Honors. Led Zeppelin was being honored (among others). Jack Black was the person who introduced their section. He started by saying they are the greatest rock n roll band of all time... better than The Beatles - better than the Stones.

Just wondered if anybody here agrees with that..?

I would be ok with Zep as the best rock band... or best hard rock band. But best "rock and roll" band..? I can't agree with that.

Btw... the live performances at the end of their tribute were really great. Robert Plant had to wipe away the tears by the end. I highly recommend that you check it out - if you missed it.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:50:10 PM PST
I would say no, Zep at no.2 though.
1)The Beatles
2)Led Zeppelin and The Who-tied

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:52:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 10:53:13 PM PST
alexwilbury says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:54:03 AM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
Its the Beatles, the Beatles, the Beatles, and the Byrds. Then we can move on to discussing the exact order for the Kinks, the Who, and the Stones. Zep are pretty far down my list.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:44:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 12:45:36 PM PST
DKPete says:
This is Black's opinion..and it's fine. The problem is that over the last twenty/thirty years or so we've gotten so ridiculously genre oriented that's it's impossible to even generalize with the single term, "greatest". It's to the point where what's defined as "Rock", "Rock AND Roll", etc....???? I say to hell with list-creation and let's just respect and learn from each other's opinions.

.....how-the-ever...I will say this; Zeppelin WERE/are "The Beatles" of their particular genre. Without getting into another debate over which bluesmen they ripped off, at their original best they made incredibly creative music and progressively textured recordings which no other "heavy" band equalled at that time (and, all said and done, that's just my opinion...:)......).

I missed the performance...I have to try out our good compadre Mr. Youtube.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 1:16:21 PM PST
Being a non-fan of both bands this is a toughie. Hmm, I would have to say, first of all, that best this and that is silly. It's all true and it's all completely wrong simultaneously. However, for me, nahhhh..Zep has never moved me and I can list 150 bands I'd rather hear before I would listen to a Zep CD, and that would include the Beatles.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 1:30:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 1:30:59 PM PST
@Exile: I find it fascinating that you love many, many other classic rock bands from the era, but care for neither The Beatles or Zeppelin, two legendary standard-bearers. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just...interesting.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 1:39:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 1:46:37 PM PST
I always think about that, also. Let me add I do enjoy Revolver, Rubber Soul and Abbey Road but seldom play them, maybe once every few years, if that. As for Zep I own them all (got the box cheapo) and I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I got the urge to listen to any of it. Been a long time, been a long time for sure!

Everyone in high school was so into Zep and I feel the same now as I did then.......Their albums are very spotty to me. Lets take Zep 4...When I first played it I couldn't stand "Black Dog", loved "Rock and Roll" and "Battle of Evermore" but "Stairway" has always sounded like it's trying to sound so epic and I just don't see it as such, as much as I love the intro. "Misty" and "Four Sticks" I have never liked, but enjoy "California" and "Levee" is downright incredible.

I could go through each of their albums and my opinions wouldn't vary much at all from this.

"Houses", for example, is extremely weak to me. There are 2 or 3 songs I like, one I can't stand and the rest are tolerable but nothing that really draws me in.

Don't ask me to explain any of it because I don't know the answer myself, but these are two bands that when I'm playing one of their albums, I want to turn it off. Again, the Beatles are the more tolerable of the two for me so the 3 records I mentioned I will play all the way through when I do play them.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 1:44:56 PM PST
I actually think Led Zeppelin III is their most consistent album.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 2:13:11 PM PST
DKPete says:
You sound like you've always been pretty objective about music anyway, meaning, you recognize when something is objectively "good" but-for whatever reason-it just doesn't do much for YOU.

I'm the same way with two of the all time biggest bands ever-Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles; both great bands whose catalogs are drowning in classics, good songs/recordings....I can barely tolerate either one of them. And, as you say, it's impossible to explain.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 2:22:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 2:23:24 PM PST
Thanks, Pete, I try to be. On the contrary, when I do like something I can usually understand why someone else may not.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 2:43:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 2:44:38 PM PST
@Exile: "Black Dog" has never appealed to me either, and is the only track I skip when I play "IV". "III" is pretty underrated. "Houses" I love with only one exception ("The Crunge").

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 3:02:24 PM PST
LOL, I understand about "The Crunge". But in high school, my band learned that just to shut up the people hollering for Zep...then we'd launch into Rock 'N Roll, followed by No Quarter. The stunned faces of the audience w/ Crunge was always pricesless - because most of the audience were our schoolmates and friends. We always ended with Gimme Shelter, followed with Smile Away.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 7:16:22 PM PST
Exile said: "but these are two bands that when I'm playing one of their albums, I want to turn it off."

If this is the case then why are you playing it in the first place????

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:18:20 PM PST
And why was Jack Black introducing Led Zeppelin? Who cares what he thinks? What has he done for rock and roll?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 7:20:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 7:29:16 PM PST
That may explain why I haven't played any Zeppelin in years and the Beatles once every few years, as I explained in my post you didn't fully read..

:)

But there was a time when I may have tried to like both bands to see what the 'fuss' was about. I purchased most of the Beatles catalogue and all of Zeppelin's and listened to them quite a bit giving both bands a fair shot and ultimately deciding they're not for me.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:31:42 PM PST
I guess I didn't fully read it...

There is still a fuss going on. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 7:32:58 PM PST
"There is still a fuss going on."

Not in my house...LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 7:48:19 PM PST
Topper:

You'll be happy to know I've fallen in love with The Byrds, especially the first 5 (I like it but still have trouble calling "Sweetheart" a Byrd's album). The rest may grow on me yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:03:28 PM PST
@Music Luver: Jack Black is one of the very few people who was able to get Led Zeppelin's permission to use one of their songs for a movie ("School Of Rock"). Apparently Page and Plant were so gassed by Black's enthusiastic mouthing of "Immigrant Song" in one scene that they immediately gave the OK. Black himself makes some pretty funny rock music with Tenacious D, and of course "School Of Rock" was one of the best rock films of the past 15 or so years. He is a funny man, although I don't think he was the one to introduce Led Zeppelin. I would have liked to have seen another rock luminary do it like Jeff Beck, Roger Daltrey, or Paul McCartney (who was inducted a year or two ago).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:09:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 8:09:37 PM PST
@Exile: yeah, The Byrds are the s**t! The first five albums and a good two-disc compilation (one studio, one live) of the post-Notorious group is pretty much all you need. Did you ever get a chance to check out all the youtube clips I posted on that Byrds thread? You exited after "Farther Along", I believe, but I reviewed "Byrds" and also linked a youtube clip to that album, if you're having trouble finding a copy. I also linked two exquisite reunion cuts that made it to a Gene Clark solo album, recorded in 1970. Finally, I did an exhaustive search of every Byrds TV and live appearance I could find on youtube and linked them all in chronological order. Check them out, if you haven't yet!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:18:35 PM PST
I will check them out after the holidays when business slows down a bit.

The Byrds are much better than Deep Purple...LOL

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:25:48 PM PST
@Exile: "The Byrds are much better than Deep Purple...LOL"

No argument there. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:45:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 8:50:41 PM PST
AlexMontrose says:
Re : I can list 150 bands I'd rather hear before I would listen to a Zep CD

Exile,

I'll take half that, 75 bands you'd rather listen to than Led Zeppelin. Besides Deep Purple ofcourse ;) This could be pretty funny.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:53:45 PM PST
Welcome to the Beatles forum, Alex. I take it you must be doing sweeping searches for any mention of the words "Deep Purple", no matter what the forum. ;)

I will get to my reviews of Vast and LF soon, probably Fri or Sat.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Beatles forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon.com interview with Abbey Road engineers Allan Rouse and Paul Hicks
12 Jun 25, 2013
Re-listening to Walls and Bridges 18 1 hour ago
Back To The Egg 608 3 hours ago
It Was Fifty Years Ago Today... 1987 10 hours ago
Lewisohn interview 0 15 hours ago
Rollin' Stones 2420 18 hours ago
The Daily Beat - founded 2011 - 1 7579 21 hours ago
Song Of The Day 627 2 days ago
What's on order? 326 3 days ago
John in 1980- new video 40 3 days ago
We Love The Beatles... So How Do You Convince A 'Hater'? 495 4 days ago
Their innovations--a second look 159 5 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Beatles forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  437
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 15, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions