Customer Discussions > Beatles forum

Beatles and the holidays

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 186 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 7, 2012 6:44:57 PM PST
Dee Zee says:
The first Beatles album I ever owned was Help!, a 1965 Christmas present from my folks. Whenever I hear the US Help! Album to this day i think of Christmas.

Do you have any holiday-Beatles memories?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 7:40:00 PM PST
DKPete says:
Hi Dee Zee..I sure do. Whenever Christmas time comes around I always-every year-reconjure warm Beatles album memories. Revolver, although released in the month of August, reminds me of being off Christmas week, 1968, in sixth grade-a friend loaned me the album (at that time all we had was the Capitol version). I sat and stared at that very cool back cover shot as I 'took in" the album for the very first time mesmerised end to end.

Prior to that was being given Pepper for Christmas of '67...and taking THAT in...being confused like hell from it...but taking it in nonetheless.

...and then there's All Things Must Pass which I recieved for Christmas, 1970...that very day still comes to mind with those eloquent opening guitar notes in I'd Have You Anytime...

...and then there's hearing all of the complete Christmas messages for the very first time on WPLJ-FM radio (New York) during Christmas week, 1973...these days those messages are quite commonplace-everyone knows of them-and they may not keep us at the edge of our seats as they once did.

But back in '73-to young American kids like me, especially, they were QUITE special and exciting.

...and, of course, the Beatle related sadness of Christmas season, 1980; I'm not getting into that.

.....but overall....yea..Christmas and things Beatle-related seem to go together quite well...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 6:51:38 AM PST
Dee Zee says:
I have sveeral more as well Pete. December 1967, day after Christmas with Xmas cash, going to the record store and buying Magical Mystery Tour in stereo.

1968 December still listening to the White Album just released in late November.

1971 finding a bootleg copy of the Christmas messages which I loved hearing for the first time.

1995 the Anthology series on TV and subsequent CDs coming out in November.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 11:09:29 AM PST
DKPete says:
I forgot about Anthology..I guess the older memories have 'stuck" as being more precious.

I'm with you with The White Album as well; although, in my case, it was drooling over it at the front of the Grants display window and hearing bits and pieces of it being played on WABC A M, radio. I can recall the chilly cloudiness of those late November/early December Saturday afternoons just staring at the all white cover surrounded, symetrically, by the four photos.

I didn't actually get to own and hear the album from end to end until September of 1969. We had gone to Greece that Summer and I asked one of my aunts to buy it for me. Hearing things like Happiness Is A Warm Gun, WDWDIITR and Helter Skelter were spellbinding for me at that time...and I though Rev 9 was downright scary.

...and you reminded me...Christmas of '67 I was also given-upon request-my first copy of MMT (stereo)...to have Hello Goodbye on an album seemed the coolest thing at the time (the single of which, was an AM radio highlight that entire period as well along with Daydream Believer, Keep The Ball Rollin', Thr Rain The Park and Other Things and, yes, Snoopy's Christmas

Onto Christmas week of 1971...we drove up to Montreal to visit with my mother's side pf the family...my older cousin Jimmy, who i idolized at that time-owned the most incredible copy of Let It Be I'd ever seen. ...what the hell is THIS??? The album comes in a regular non gatefold cover inserted in a BOX??? With a BOOK???

...man, oh, man......

...how are your knees doing..??

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 1:51:21 PM PST
Although I was not alive when the albums were originally released, my parents would always get me Beatles albums for X-Mas when I was a kid, so I always associate them with the holiday. Also my birthday--my parents once made me birthday cake (I believe my 6th birthday) on which my dad drew very cool portraits of all four on the icing.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 2:16:27 PM PST
N. Parkinson says:
Christmas 1963. I got a Supercar book, a chocolate Yogi Bear and Boo-boo and 'With the Beatles'! Now THAT'S a good holiday!

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 2:59:39 PM PST
In 1964 we got the AHDN single at Tower when it first came out. Then my sister got ''Something New''. She didn't get the AHDN soundtrack album. Then Christmas eve '64 we both got a copy of the album. I came back home from my grandparents house around the block(no, I didn't walk home) and my mom put the album on in the living room and I listened and enjoyed. I was only four and it was getting late so I dozed off, but not because of boredom! Anyway my mom comes in and says you fell asleep, so it was off to to bed and waiting to listen again the next day.A very personal memory. AHDN was my favorite Beatle song for '64 and maybe for sometime after, though I loved them all. Of course there were songs and maybe a couple of albums or so that I didn't ''get'' after ''Help!'' or ''Rubber Soul'', but eventually really got into and appreciate and like or love. On my 9th birthday I got ''Abbey Road''.

On a humorous note, in around ''77 my sister bought me MMT for Christmas. I was replacing all the original albums that were long in bad shape. Well I opened the album and everything was there except the record! My sister joked that only she could buy an album with no record! In her defense MMT was heavy because of the packaging, so she didn't know. I don't think it was returned, the receipt was probably thrown out anyway. Eventually I bought another one.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 3:36:37 PM PST
take403 says:
I remember my brother telling me in the Christmas of 69, he bought my sister Abbey Rd as her present.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 3:52:39 PM PST
DKPete says:
W.E...the album cover with no album..?? That's pretty funny..I wonder how I'd have handled that..it actually would have been pretty cool to just keep and have an extra, well-preserved cover (which is probably what I'd do nowadays that I AM a visionary).

...just curious...how is it that both you and your sister both got a copy of Something New?? Your parents got both of you the same record? That must be a nice memory of getting the AHDN single when it was new...the very first Beatle single I got when it was a brand new release was Hey Jude...I still have it to this day (at least I got something right); my mother picked up for me on a September Friday night from Woolworths on her way home from work.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 5:34:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 5:35:56 PM PST
Pete, my sister got ''Something New'', we both got copies of AHDN for Christmas. Abbey Road was another album we both got in October of '69, for our respective birthdays. I guess we were lucky to have our own copy of each. All the other albums were really hers, though I got to listen to them. She got some singles too but usually waited for the album. Of course the singles weren't always on the albums, like ''Paperback Writer/Rain and before that Day Tripper/We can work it out. I don't think she got those singles, but did get ''Hey Jude''/Revolution. She got every album but YS and Hey Jude I think. I got those two later, with YS being a UK import. I became aware of the UK albums in the seventies(or very early 80's), but had bought probably every US album again except YS. I really didn't hear the UK configurations until 1981 on ''The Days Of Their Lives'' radio series in '81. I read a list of their albums in the seventies but they were the UK albums. I have ''All Together Now'', and their listed in there too, but since I had the US albums I didn't mind not having the UK albums. But I was intrigued by first hearing them on that radio series. I bought the CD's in '90, soon after I got my first CD player(which I still have).

Btw, my sister loved ''We Can Work It Out'' and ''Day Tripper' but had to wait until Y&T came out.

I may still have that ''empty'' MMT. I don't know the condition of it but its in the garage.

Was the Canadian boxed ''Let It Be'' the same as the UK? I'm surprised you haven't found one, or are they asking too much?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 7:25:33 PM PST
DKPete says:
I've seen the U.K. Let It Be box in various places..e bay and such...from the pictorial views I've seen it's the exact same thing as the Canadian version-except the Apple label varies just a bit although they are both green; the U.S. Apple was made red due to Allan Steckler of Capitol; his reasoning was that "special" projects deserved a special, differentiating presentation-hence, the red Apple instead of the usual green. He was also behind the orange Apple for ATMP-but in that instance,, the European pressings followed suit.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 7:49:46 PM PST
I wasn't aware of the box version with the book until later. We just had to settle for the gatefold version. I like the red Apple myself, but I now wish that the box version was available at the time. The orange Apple for ATMP was cool too, although I don't remember my original reaction to it.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 7:57:36 PM PST
I remember Christmas 1977, getting "The Beatles Live! at the Star Club" the UK double vinyl LP.
I loved it, and still have the vinyl record. Not many people like these recordings, but I often like what no-one else likes.
Wish this album would get a legitimate CD release, I've seen different bootlegs advertised.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 8:42:05 PM PST
ED S. says:
Yeah.....I got Beatle Christmas memories thanks to my parents.

"TURN THAT DAMN MUSIC DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!"

And mother and father, thanks for that load of crap clothing you got me for Christmas '66. I never wore a single piece of those cuffed slacks and checked shirts and button sweaters. Those cloths would have made me look like Ricky Nelson circa 1959.

POST SCRIPT: I really never knew what happened to those clothe because they just seemed to dissapear from the Christmas tree when the tree came down. Returned?...Thrown or given away?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 4:33:27 AM PST
take403 says:
As a grownup, I asked for the Beatles BBC Sessions which came out around Christmas of 1994 and got it!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 5:45:51 AM PST
DKPete says:
While I thought the red Apple on LIB was pretty cool, I was blown away by the orange one for ATMP. In fact the entire package, I found extremely impressive and 'different".

My first pressing copy had a "lift-off" cover top as opposed to the hinged ones that came a couple of years later. I thought the arrangement of the box with the colored sleeves, special font lyric print, the dark, enigmatic poster of George...this thing looked like it BELONGED to Christmas if that makes any sense. The best word I can think of to descrbe it-which others have also used-is, "majestic". It was, truly, THE shining moment above all others in the realm of post-Beatle releases both in presentation and content.

...by the way, on the opposite end of the warm, "Christmasy" spectrum, the stark, white/gray apple for the POB album was also Steckler's doing; I think that was a very cool, astute packaging idea given the harsh nature of the music/production on the album...and it was also he that pressed EMI to include all the "offensive" lyrics on the inner sleeve.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 5:47:54 AM PST
DKPete says:
I had to make sure I turned parts of POB down for fear that my father would take it and fling it out the window; especially when playing "God".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 6:15:00 AM PST
Both my ATMP and Concert for Bangladesh sets have the lift off cover.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 7:40:05 AM PST
Dee Zee says:
I thought the red apple for Let It Be had to do with United Artist releasing the film and the record.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:20:32 AM PST
@DKPete: LOL re: "God". Great story. Also, I too vividly remember when I got "All Things Must Pass". The first I ever heard of the album, was when I was ten (1985 or so). My mom and I were playing a game and listening to the radio. "Awaiting On You All" came on and immediately electrified me; I knew it was George but didn't know where it was from. She told me it was from "All Things Must Pass". The next time we went to the record store, we saw the vinyl box staring at us for a sale price. It looked so amazing, this huge box with that iconic cover and the sale price sticker, I practically squealed in ecstasy and begged her to get it. She, being the amazing mother that she was, obliged (I was totally spoiled when it came to The Beatles :)). I totally remember opening it up when we got home and marvelling at the package--the lyrics, poster, everything. There was even a distinctive appealing smell to it. But playing it was another thing entirely...I'd never heard anything like it.

Interesting that "Something New" came up, because I remember how I got that one, too. I was six and had pneumonia. My parents took me to the hospital and the doctor had to take a blood sample, a process that involved having the needle in my arm for nearly an entire minute. I was scared but my father told me that if I was good and didn't make a scene or scream (which the boy next to us was doing), we could go to the record store and he'd get me a Beatles album. Naturally, that was all I needed to stay quiet as a mouse, even though that needle HURT! On the way home from the hospital I remember "Something New" was the album he got me. I loved it, of course.

@take403: I also remember when "Live At The BBC" came out. It was the first Beatles album of new material I remember being released in my lifetime, so it was a *big* deal for a lot of people including me. I got it the day it came out. Pearl Jam were also huge at the time and their third album "Vitalogy" came out the same day. I remember going to the Tower Records in Westwood after school (I was a student at UCLA at the time), and getting both CDs. As I was waiting in a very long line to buy them, I noticed that every single other person in line had a copy of "Live At The BBC" and "Vitalogy" in their hands as well. "Live At The BBC" was terrific, although I did not think "Vitalogy" was as good as Pearl Jam's first two records.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:26:29 AM PST
DKPete says:
That was the original assumption/story. I remember hearing the debut of the album on WABC FM played bt Dave Herman; part of the information on the album was, indeed, that-that the red apple signified the UA connection...Bruce Spizer categorically states in one of his books that this was not so. When you think about it, if that was the case, then the apples should have been red on all the album releases worldwide.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:31:08 AM PST
DKPete says:
Michael, not too get too wierd over this but I always thought the cover had a particular smell to it as well...must've been that color dye for all those inner sleeves or something...crazy, the things we remember.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 9:36:33 AM PST
@DKPete: Oh no, there was definitely a smell! And it was a pleasant one, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 12:24:04 PM PST
My sister's ATMP also had the lift -off cover as she got it early on.

I remember going to White Front department with my mom to get POB. This may have been for both my sister and I. I remember the clerk waring my mom about the language. My mom decided to buy it, though I don't think she was too thrilled about the language, even though she liked the Beatles generally. Of course this was solo John and she thought he was going to far(and the late Beatle years too, with the things he was doing and the longer hair. I guess she didn't like some of things they were all doing, like those ''things'' they were ingesting and inhaling).

Yeah the orange label is really good. The white and gray label for POB was cool too, or am I thinking of ''Imagine''?

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 1:06:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 1:08:10 PM PST
N. Parkinson says:
Imagine label had a photo of John in an apple on it, POB was all-white apple. At least here in the United Kingdom, Great Britain, England and British Isles. Sheeseh, what a lot of names for one country.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Beatles forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  186
Initial post:  Dec 7, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 31, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions