Customer Discussions > Best Books forum

Online Book Discussion Groups?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 62 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2013 9:19:17 PM PST
Does such a thing exist or is this post system the closest thing to a book group available. I live in a tiny village and the closest book store is online. The next closest is a one hour commute.

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 8:41:15 AM PST
goober020 says:
How close is the nearest library? Our library has a room available for groups to meet in. If you prefer face to face interaction, you could advertise and start one. Of course there is always facebook. I think forums invite comments, but they are not necessarily good for sparking discussions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2013 11:39:42 PM PST
Thank you for the good suggestions. The nearest library is a 1/2 hour drive with very limited hours. Not open past five pm and only open for a fre hours on Saturdays. All this is thanks to budget cuts. I understand what you are saying about these forums but one could only hope. Maybe something will pop us one day. Thanks again.

Posted on Feb 3, 2013 6:27:41 AM PST
B. Craven says:
I don't know much about this yet, but I am disabled and so your topic interests me. I googled online book clubs and found a few sites that look interesting: TheReadingRoom.com, OnlineBookClub.org and GoodReads.com. I can't make any claims about how good these sites are, but I'm going to check them out. If I remember, I'll post another comment after I learn more. Please leave any info you have on this topic, or let me know if this helps at all. Amazon and Barnes and Noble seem to have online book clubs as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2013 7:01:17 AM PST
Can't wait to hear what you find out. I'll look at the web sites also. If feasable then maybe we can start our own. I prefer mysteries, action, sci-fi fantasy, thriller but not horror unless you count vampire and other paranormal as horror and some romance. I have a wide interest and voracious reading appetite so am not too picky. What genres do you prefer?

Posted on Feb 3, 2013 6:08:17 PM PST
B. Craven says:
I love mysteries, the cozy type (a la Agatha Christie) being my favorite. I also like thrillers that are rooted in reality, especially legal, political or medical. I have read some fantasy and science fiction, but not much. Pure romances don't interest me, but I don't mind some romance or even implied sex in whatever I'm reading. I have read some of the classics, but it's been a while.

Haven't had a chance to really explore web sites yet. Looking forward to it. Maybe we can start a mystery group if there aren't some already available, or if we'd rather just have our own.

I used to be a voracious reader, but fourteen years ago I became clinically depressed and it continues to today. Until last year I was not able to concentrate enough to read. But I read eight light books last year and am on my second this year. I'm hoping to build up speed and get up to one a week, if not more. But, baby steps, my current goal is two per month.

If we do stay in contact, here and/or on a web site, and you don't hear from me for a few days, please be patient. Sometimes I have trouble communicating due to the depression, but I will respond eventually! I'm excited to be reading again and to be in touch with other people, since depression makes you want to stay isolated. Thanks for listening and here's to great book discussions!

Posted on Feb 3, 2013 6:21:50 PM PST
B. Craven says:
Forgot to say that I also do not care for horror, although I have read a few early Stephen King books. Not into graphic violence or sex, and while I don't mind an occassional profanity, I don't really think it adds anything to story or character development. I don't mind some paranormal happenings, but not much into books that are all about the supernatural. Depends on how far-fetched it is - the more " out there", the less interest I seem to have. Maybe that's why the current trend of vampires, zombies, werewolves, etc. just isn't my cup of tea.

Good heavens, have I gone into enough detail for you? :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 10:19:42 PM PST
I understand the whole depression thing. I tend to escape into light reading when I get run down. I'm not a true romance or bodice ripper reader. Used to be but then got bored. Not into the real graphic violence or sex but do enjoy a good murder mystery and will overlook some of the violence for good character development. Let's check to see what's out there but a good mystery or thriller that is relevant to current events is fine by me. Once we've explored the other options we can decide how to proceed and what book we would like to read and discuss. The few time I joined a group it wmet a social need which I think is important. The task before us is whether or not it will work online.

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 5:05:28 AM PST
B. Craven says:
I've spent some time on the book club sites, and I must admit that I'm not as excited about the idea as I had hoped. I think your point about a book club meeting a social need is important. The idea of Facebook strikes me the same way, which is why I've never used it. Maybe I'm just too old to learn new tricks, but I'd rather communicate in person, or at least on the phone. I do enjoy some limited interaction through book reviews and comments, and I may participate in some more of these discussion forums, but I think I'll pass on the online book clubs. I'm very sorry if I'm letting you down, but I'd rather tell you how I honestly feel up front. I hope you find what you're looking for, either online or in your community. Thanks for talking with me and happy reading! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 5:16:07 AM PST
Check out goodreads.com they have a list of discussion groups on their website . Even the site itself is alot of fun seeing what people have read and their opions on the bboks . good hunting

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 6:24:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2013 8:04:44 PM PST
Sounds like the feasability of a book discussion group would not be much different than these forums. I am not on facebook as I work at a high school and do not want any of the students I work with involved in anything I do. Sounds like the closest thing to an online club would be similar to posting on a discussion board. A thread based on a particular book would probably be good. The whole Jack Reacher thing going on sounds like what a book discussion book should be online, but it is posted under favorite crime books/thriller/best books read thread. Keep a thread open about just one book in particular and a book discussion group is born. Keep posting on the boards when you can and share your opinions about books you have read.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 1:00:25 PM PST
I think Lola, you are in a good position to start an book club in your community. You could have one for older adults, busy mom and high school students and even one for children. you have the opportunity to bring life to that community through read. When God shows you these things, He means for you to do it. There are others in the community that is struggling with the same but you will not know until you reach out. And maybe through that your library will stay open a little longer. Invite people over for a cup of coffee and bring up the subject. Give it a try.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 2:00:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2013 2:13:10 AM PST
Hi Annie, thank you for your encouragement. I live in an unincorporated area on the outskirts of a county. Services here are limited. We have one pizza place, one expensive restaurant and three taco trucks. We do not have a bank. We did just get our very first traffic light. However, they only repaved about half a block in each direction. The rest of our streets are almost ready to revert back to dirt roads. We have a very small high school that the superintendant of schools wants to close down. A vast majority of our population is non-English speaking and reading for pleasure is not likely a priority here. While I have passed three different language classes at two years each I am not fluent in any of them. I will check with some people who might be interested but the library in our village (it's the best description of where we live) is on the high school campus and is not open outside of school hours. The next closest library is half an hour away in a different town in a different county. I can try but I'm pretty sure a viable book club here could not survive. I thank you again and will try but I don't have much confidence for success. A book club is the least of any public or private services that could survive here. I have asked around before but not with any success and my only reading buddy moved to Texas. I'm discouraged but not defeated. Thanks again.

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 5:19:50 AM PST
B. Craven says:
Hi Lola, I think your idea of starting a discussion thread here or on goodreads.com might just work out for you. I don't know if it would be better to pick one book, or to choose an author. Maybe if you spend some time on goodreads or one of the other sites, you'll be able to discern the best approach. Here on Amazon, each book's description page includes a place to start a discussion thread, and so does each author page (not all authors have author pages, but the majority do). I look forward to hearing if any of these ideas work out for you - wishing you good luck!

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 2:17:11 PM PST
Rocky says:
I am a member of a recently formed online book club. We all know each other quite well and all love to read. But we live all over the map (one on the west coast, two in the midwest, and one on the east coast. One of us is about to move to Brazil!) We already know that we like the same kind of books.

Our rules are different from a regular book club. We don't read a book together. We are a source of good books for each other.

When we read a book we like, we review it for the other members. I have found this quite interesting and a source of good books. The other members choose books I haven't thought about and motivate me to read more widely. But some people contribute more than others. So I don't know whether we will be able to keep it up.

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 9:09:17 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
Altho Im an avid reader I have never belonged to a book club on or off line. I have found over the years, what is one book's love is another's hate. I think this forum is about the closest thing I have found to book discussion that I can hang with. If I see a book being referred that is great and I didnt like it, I just avoid posting and leave it up to the individual to like or dislike. Sometimes I read a book and have several questions about it. Then I would like to discuss the questions with another reader of same book. All in all, I think most reading is a one on one experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 10:46:34 AM PST
MommaCat says:
Shelfari and Goodreads both have lots of reading groups/bookclubs designed for every taste. Good luck!

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 8:25:21 PM PST
To all who responded to this discussion you have my sincerest thanks. There were many great ideas, opinions, and options suggested to try and try I will. I will be shutting down this thread on Sunday 2/17/13. Once again, my sincerest thanks to all who visited and made suggestions.

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 4:44:25 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
Lola: I hope to see you around the other Amazon forums. Gypsy

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 7:03:55 AM PST
Hi Gypsy, I will still be around. The Jack Reacher thread I started is working so I may just go ahead and start a new thread when I read another book and see what happens. I'm still on a few other discussions as well. I enjoy talking with you. Lola

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 7:15:29 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
Thanks, Lola. I think the Jack Reacher forum would work well if we concentrated on one book and talked about it. Or...pick any book and see how many people will join you in reading it and then discussing it. Right now on my books to be read menu, I just picked up Ted Dekker's new book "The Sanctuary" from the library and must read it in 7 days. Right now I have 1/3 more to read of another book before I start Dekker's. So many books, so little time. G

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 8:04:41 AM PST
I'll have to try that book. I have read one of his books "The Bride Collector" and enjoyed it. It was also a tad scary. I will probably take a book from the recommended list, post a comment, and if a discussion starts move it to its own thread. I got tired of reviewing recommended books and tripping over Jack Reacher so I started that thread. Hope I'm using the right terminology beacuase I'm relatively new to discussion boards. By moving JR to his own site I felt like an actual book discussion started. I hope the same will occur with other books or book series. I like discussing books that are made into movies or "what if" a book is made into a movie. That is a game my husband and I like to play. We even select the actors we think would be best for the part of the hero, the villian, or supporting cast members. My first love is reading and my second is movies. I read "Gone with the Wind" and the full lenght adult version of "Little Women" when I was 10. My Grandma gave them to me as gifts and I absolutely devoured them. I still have the books which are in such well read condition that I would need to buy a new copy just to read them again. Now I have lists of books to read a mile long, stacks of books waiting their turn to be read, and for my Kindle, thank goodness that Amazon stores them or I would run out of space on my Kindle. I have 10 pages of books I want to read and over 400 books archived. If those books were actual I could build a wall in my house and make a new room. As you said, "so many books, so little tim". Keep on reading. L

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 9:24:09 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
Lola: I have never belonged to a book club group because rarely do the people read a book I want to read or discuss. I'm glad you broke off Reacher into his own group. But, we never really discussed the books, only who we wanted to play Reacher and what he looked like. I too have been reading since I was 3 or 4 and havent stopped. I was reading adult books at 10. I read at least 2 books a week depending on the size. Some of course are also easier to read than others. I almost always have at least 200 books to be read on my shelves - I buy them at the Library sales. But, inbetween that time, I'm also renting from the Library. I have yet to own a Kindle - I still like the feel of a book in my hands, hardcover preferred. But, I do admit a Kindle would be good for traveling.
I think some books are more "discussable" (is that a word?) than others. G

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 9:37:19 AM PST
A kindle is great for traveling. Makes the luggage lighter because there are not five or ten books in the luggage. While the JR thread was not a book discussion per se, I can see possibilities for group. I think a thread just talking and giving an opinion on a particular book would be a "book club". Not traditional but anyone who has read the book at any time could comment then there would be no obligation to read the book now as a group. It would be untraditional and about a book that is "discussable" as you say. It might work or it might not, so I might give it a try. L

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 9:40:29 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
for sure, try anything and see if it flies. Often when I read a book I have questions, especially about an ending. a few times I have emailed the author and received a reply. I assumed it was the author - but, of course it could be a secretary? Lee Child has his own forum to discuss his books. I dont always agree, but I can throw in my 2 cents. (in this economy - not worth much)..lol...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best Books forum (70 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
recently read best book 220 Jun 8, 2014
Christian authors. 0 Jun 8, 2014
The Light Between Oceans, (Stedman) 10 Jun 8, 2014
Best Book Ever 1222 Jun 6, 2014
Poetry 2 May 9, 2014
Looking for suggestions for a book that takes place in a Christmas setting. 1 Apr 30, 2014
Crime Fiction 157 Jan 2, 2014
Best books from the last 10 years 0 Dec 21, 2013
Best pick for a mystery book group 161 Aug 24, 2013
Best book by a new author 41 Aug 21, 2013
Suggest a children book! 1 Aug 21, 2013
Treasure by Les Pendleton 0 Aug 20, 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best Books forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  62
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions