Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Best Books forum

Online Book Discussion Groups?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 62 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2013 8:07:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2013 8:08:05 PM PDT
B. Craven says:
Wanda,

It seems that what we both like are mysteries. I look forward to hearing if the "pot thief" series looks interesting to you!

Take care.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2013 1:05:51 PM PDT
Wanda Oliver says:
i am almost finishing up "lover at last" the new book of the "black dagger brotherhood" series by j. r. ward. i'll pull up the book you are reading and see if it's up my ally. but i read any kind of books , i don't really like romance novels, but i do like mysteries, horror, western(sometimes), YA series, i've always liked vampires and ghosts, but i love horror movies as well, and i grew up watching bella lugosi, christopher lee playing vampires. lol but , i will check your book out.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2013 10:02:01 PM PDT
B. Craven says:
Wanda,

Thanks, I will. And you do the same! Any time is fine with me. I know it's a struggle, but I hope we'll both hang in there, and keep fighting. I wish you strength and all the best.

Right now I'm reading The Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagorus by J. Michael Orenduff. It's the first in a fairly new series of mysteries that take place in northern New Mexico. The descriptions and reviews of this series really intrigued me. I like it so far, but I'm only on page 12! So if you'd like to try it, the ebook is $4.99, or free if you have Prime. Let me know if you're interested, and tell me what you're reading at the moment.

Happy Easter to you, too!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2013 9:35:20 PM PDT
Wanda Oliver says:
B.
hello. you are so very welcome. if you ever need or want to chat about life, or a book. just give me a hollar.
you are going to do well , i just feel it when i read your post, but like i said , hollar if you need me.

happy easter,
wanda

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2013 8:49:47 PM PDT
B. Craven says:
Wanda,

Thank you so much for your post. Now that I'm able to read again, I do find it helpful in battling the depression. So I definitely understand where you're coming from! My reading speed and concentration are slowly improving, as are my comprehension, retention and enjoyment, so I'm very encouraged. Reading had always been a big part of my life, and I'm excited to make up for all the years I was not able to focus.

Take care and good luck to you as well. Cheers!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2013 10:57:26 PM PDT
Wanda Oliver says:
i have depression as well, and i think that is why i read so much. i had always hated to read in school, now i read everything i get my hands on because i'm afraid i'll forget how if i don't. lol but , you are right it is hard on some days to get through with depression, like is said i think i read so much to get lost in the stories and forget my depression for a while. because, some books helps your mind solve crimes or mysteries, some make you laugh so hard you pee your pants, and some make you cry so you can be thankful for all the good you have in your life. to get though my day sometimes, i try not to think of all the bad stuff i feel in my life or the wrongs, because you can look at some one right next to you and see they have it even rougher, so your life isn't so bad at all, and you might just be able to help the other person. good luck, b. craven.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2013 10:48:48 PM PDT
Wanda Oliver says:
i like that idea. i read the same things.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 10:34:59 PM PDT
Hi Lynn, wow what a list. Why don't you start "The Dinner" as I have read it and Gypsy is starting it. We'll go from there. RIF (reading is fun). Lola

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 10:14:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 10:19:37 PM PDT
Hi Lola and gypsyartist. I haven't read "The Dinner" yet but have a copy. Was waiting to see what would materialize here. By all means, G, enjoy your company. Lola, I haven't read any of the books I listed but have some of them. I've been doing some marathon reading; have my 89 year old mother with me on an extended visit so she could have cataract surgery here (Arizona) and have someone to help with post-operative care. She's been here for the past 3 months so I read while she watches her TV programs.... Being a care giver is a challenge when you have a full time job! I have read some wonderful books along the way though. I've read the 1st 3 of Michael Robotham's Joe O'Laughlin series; loved "Shatter" and have the last two. I also just finished "Suspect" by Robert Crais; as a dog lover, I was thrilled with Maggie. Would also like to "put out there" some other favorites from the last few months: "HHhH" by Laurent Binet; "Don't Ever Get Old" by Daniel Friedman; "Potboiler" by Jesse Kellerman; "Wolf Hall" and "Bring Up the Bodies" by Hilary Mantel (the 1st time the Mann Booker Award's been won by a woman); and anything by Morag Joss (started with "Half Broken Things" which was a winner of the 2003 CWA Silver Dagger Award and have been hooked ever since). I just finished "Alone" by Lisa Gardner last night. Her new book is getting so much attention, I thought I'd start with one of her early novels before investing in the new one (which I am now likely to do). I like following the Indie Best and Indie Next lists for new ideas, and have also found some very good reads from the Edgar nominees. Enough for tonight. I'm looking forward to reading "The Dinner" with you! Lynn

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 8:43:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 8:46:17 AM PDT
No problem. You read pretty fast. Take your time and enjoy your guest. L

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 8:02:10 AM PDT
gypsyartist says:
I still have 1/3 book left to read before I start "The Dinner" then I have houseguest so it will take me longer than usual to read it. I'll get there soon - I promise. G

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 7:44:57 AM PDT
Hi LM. Did you say you read The Dinner? Gypsy has it now and is reading so we will start discussion soon. If you have read it feel free to post to the thread for The Dinner. Thanks for the list of books. I am looking them over to see what I like. Have you read any of those you listed yet? Lola

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 1:24:47 PM PST
Hi Lola and gypsyartist. Thanks! What a great opportunity to be able to suggest some books from my TBR list! Now that I look at my list for this post, it's kind of long. Hope it can at least give us a starting point for a selection... In no particular order: 1) "The Sound of Broken Glass" by Deborah Crombie, a British police procedural that is currently on the Indie Next List (released 2/13 so may not be in the library yet), $12.60 ebook; 2) "Ghostman" debut by Roger Hobbs, (released 2/13 so may not be in the library yet), on the Indie Best list and a NYT bestseller, $9.99 ebook; 3) "The 7th Woman" by Fredrique Molay, Amazon Best Seller, winner of the French Best Crime Fiction Novel of the Year, recently translated, 1st book in a series, international bestseller, $7.99 ebook; 4) "Sebastian Bergman," (under the wrong title in Amazon as "Dark Secrets," released 9/12), 1st in series with second one due in April, Swedish bestseller w/ the authors compared to Jo Nesbo, Henning Mankell and Stieg Larsson, $8.69 ebook; 5) "Mr. Churchill's Secretary" by Susan Elia MacNeal (released in 4/12 so may be in library), Edgar nominee for Best 1st Novel, $11.99 ebook; 6) "Complication: A Novel" by Isaac Adamson (released in 4/12 so may be in the library), Edgar nominee for Best Paperback Original, $8.77 ebook; and 7) "The Harbinger: The Ancient Mytery That Holds the Secret of America's Future" by Jonathan Cahn (released 1/12 so may be in the library), $9.00 ebook. You can check out the descriptions and reviews here on Amazon to see if any of these "speak" to you. Lynn.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 8:07:08 PM PST
gypsyartist says:
Yes. Fire away. All the books on my "to read" list are new and not yet available.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 8:01:22 PM PST
Hi L.M. Suggest a few books and we'll see who has read what. I'm game. Lola

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 7:39:34 PM PST
Hi Lola and gypsyartist. Lola, if you've already read "The Dinner" and gypsyartist can't get it yet from the library, I'm certainly fine with selecting another book....

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 6:27:45 PM PST
gypsyartist says:
Lola: Didnt you already read "The Dinner?"

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 2:11:14 PM PST
Why don't we put a title out there and see how it shapes up. We can't please all but I'm willing to give most any book a try. We can list a title then start a new thread with that title in order to bring in all who may be interested in discussing it and it can be done in a manner that doesn't spoil it for others as long as they don't visit the thread about a specific book. Since a thread can't be closed just neglected, it would allow for a discussion to carry on as long as it will. I'll open a thread about "The Dinner" and everyone can jump on when you can. L

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 12:28:08 PM PST
Hi gypsyartist. Again, you are correct. And it sounds like you may not have access to "The Dinner" for awhile. Let's wait for about a week and see if there's any other interest expressed. If not, we'll take Lola's suggestion and let this go through its long goodnight.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 12:04:46 PM PST
gypsyartist says:
What we need is a few people that can agree on one book and then give them 2 weeks to read the book. Then not discuss until everyone is finished. Problem is - what book will please all of us?

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 10:30:41 AM PST
Hi gypsyartist. I agree with you. There is a "Spoiler Alert" on the other thread for this book in the Mystery Forum. Lynn

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 8:59:49 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
My library still doesnt have "The Dinner" - I'm waiting. The only way an online book club would work is if a group all read the book at the same time and then discussed it. If not - spoilers would be involved.
Orange Peels

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 8:30:03 AM PST
I agree, but if you can't get out easily, an online book club is better than nothing.
Rose Marie Dunphy
orangepeelsandcobblestones@gmail.com
http://rosemariedunphy.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/authorrosedunphy

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 8:28:15 AM PST
I love book clubs. I never thought of having an online book club, but what a great idea if you can't get out easily for whatever reason. It provides the stimulation we all need socially and mentally. Readers tell me that my book, ORANGE PEELS and COBBLESTONES is perfect for book clubs. It has two themes that can have differing opinions depending on your view. It's on Amazon as a paperback and Kindle as an ebook. Check it out for yourself. Rose Marie Dunphy
Rose Marie Dunphy
orangepeelsandcobblestones@gmail.com
http://rosemariedunphy.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/authorrosedunphy

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 8:12:43 PM PST
gypsyartist says:
"The Dinner".... OK, I will see if my library has it and get on the list! G
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best Books forum (72 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Soon to be released Epic fantasies!! 0 Jan 24, 2016
Dramatic love book 0 Oct 29, 2015
recently read best book 221 Aug 20, 2015
Worst Book Ever Written? 422 Jul 12, 2015
Best book by a new author 42 Jun 15, 2015
Christian authors. 0 Jun 8, 2014
The Light Between Oceans, (Stedman) 10 Jun 8, 2014
Best Book Ever 1222 Jun 6, 2014
Poetry 2 May 9, 2014
Looking for suggestions for a book that takes place in a Christmas setting. 1 Apr 30, 2014
Crime Fiction 157 Jan 2, 2014
Best books from the last 10 years 0 Dec 21, 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best Books forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  62
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions