what book or books impacted your life?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 53 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 4, 2013 2:02:13 PM PST
Good Earth and Old Man and the Sea, two of best books I ever read

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 1:49:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 3:12:42 AM PST
ewaughreader says:
To The Last Man By Jeff Shaara - after reading about the WWI pilots, I took a ride in a 1927 Swallow bi-plane. While I was no where near the heights reached by pilots of the Escadrille or JG-1, at 1500 feet I was still able to experience the exhilaration of the open cockpit. If I hadn't read this outstanding historical novel, I would never have realized the joy and freedom of flight.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 10:18:11 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
It would be very hard to pick out one. I have been reading since I was 4 yrs old (a long time ago). I think each book has opened up my mind and given me insight of the world around me, becoming more creative. understanding people, experiencing other cultures, wanting to travel in order to see so many places I have only read about. After reading "The Agony and the Ecstasy" - I had to go to Italy. I have been there 4 times now and I am very thankful that the book intrigued me enough to want to see the treasures that rest there.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:36:30 AM PST
Danielle G says:
I would have to say; "The Celestine Prophecy"...that book most definitely made an impression on my life! I have read it 3 times, and I have given it to several friends and family as a gift! I sincerely believe that book made me a more positive person! Thank you James Redfield!!

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 8:04:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 8:07:33 AM PST
DAVID LEE says:
"How I found Freedom in an Unfree world" by Harry Browne

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 8:31:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 8:31:49 AM PST
pamelaaune says:
I would have to say The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, followed by a book i just read a week ago called Stitches by David Small. Both are stories about overcoming difficult childhoods and achieving success in life; Walls as a Journalist and Smalls as an award winning Illustrator and author.the glass castle Stitches

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 9:01:29 AM PST
Carol Aumann says:
Seth Speaks, by Jane Roberts. Completely blew me away. I have given it to every person that has meant anything to me in my life. You create your own reality!

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:26:09 PM PST
mgintexas says:
Infidel by Ayann Hirse Ali- opened my eyes to the Islamic culture and the lack of respect for women.
The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch and Jeffrey Zaslow - inspiring!
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand- made me respect those fighting and sacrifices they make, especially POWs

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:53:57 PM PST
Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. It showed me that you shouldn't fight life. What will happen will happen and the less you worry about it and try to change it, the more stressed and less happy you'll be. Go with the flow and adapt yourself; let it be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 1:24:41 PM PST
Thanks sounds a book I must read!

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 1:54:06 PM PST
gypsyartist says:
Eclectic: "Let it Be".....hmmmm, sounds like the Beatles.... : )

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 12:44:49 AM PST
I started reading when i was very young. We lived out in the country in Fulllerton, MD and had no electricity (or running water). My youngest daughter wanted to know how I blow dried my hair. Anyway back in those dark evenings, I would read by kerosene lamps and it seemed to bring out one's imagination even more. One of the books of my youth was The Diary of Ann Frank, a real winner. Some years later I fell in love with the short stories by O. Henry. Gift of the Maji was my favorite. P.S. I'll be 74 this June.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 1:59:34 AM PST
During my younger years I feel fortunate to have come across, "Rassalass: Prince of Abyssinia", by Robert Johnson. Though it is written in somewhat "Old-English Style", the story imparts a much needed perspective regarding the progressive and diminishing value one feels when overwhelmed and inundated by lavish displays of luxury. One can, in fact, become numb to the mystique of having every whim satisfied, every wish granted.

During my Adulthood, I would have to say that the most influential work to date is "Journey of Souls", by Michael Newton, Phd. For me, this relatively short book just "fell into place"......it simply "felt right" in virtually all respects, providing clear, concise, and well researched material.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 11:13:46 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
Penelope Gamble: I too started reading at a very young age. And I refuse to use a kindle because holding a book in my hands still transports me to other worlds. When I was a "bad girl" and sent to bed early - I read under the covers with a flashlight. I too read Diary of Ann Frank and was so intrigued. A few years ago I was fortunate enough to visit Anne's house in Amsterdam - what a treat that was.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 5:36:18 PM PST
C. Keys says:
How about "have a little faith" by Mitch Albom or Tuesdays with Morrie. Gentle spirit

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 2:26:33 AM PST
noel hermele says:
My most life changing books are representative of the times and situations in my life when i read them, as well as one that was so superbly written that it inspired me to want to write. The order below has more to do with when read than best to worst.
1. Cat Cradle Kurt Vonnegut (Sirens of Titan close second) 2. Person Planet-Theordore Roszak, my forerunner to Silent Spring and then re-read it later and transformed my life again more deeply
3. Love in the Time of Cholera- Gabriella Garcia Marquez- in Spanish-- best romance. the English translation misses the point
4. Lolita- in my opinion- the best written book in the narrative genre, theme may be distateful to some but worth getting over it. (and it is a translation!) 5. The MOST life changing books for me were written by Derrick Jensen-- Culture of Make Believe, 2vol. of The End of Civilization, and Dreaming-ALL BRILLIANT 6. The Razor's Edge-- the only Maugham book i really liked, the English equivalent to Great Gatsby, the quintessential great american novel, along with Mailer's An American Dream 7.Dostoivevsky--The Idiot as precursor to Crime and Punishment, psychological insight!-puts freud et al to shame. 8. Michener- Caravans, what a surprise! opened doors to thrive on risk, to live life on your terms 9. Anthony Burgess- A Clockwork Orange-- spellbinding and now too pertinent- read english ending not american 9. Oscar Wilde- Portrait of Dorian Gray 10. Stephen King- The Stand above all his works-gets inside you and stays there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 3:02:11 AM PST
Jenny Kearns says:
I also loved Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand .Made me realize what my dad went through as a prisoner of war twice in the 2nd world war .Brillint book

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 6:59:58 AM PST
Very, very compelling book.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 10:49:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 10:50:09 AM PST
Bridget says:
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath and My Sister's Keeper by Jodie Picoult

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 12:10:59 PM PST
boleo says:
IN HIS STEPS by Charles Schmit(?) I red it as a child and several more times since then . It is the story of A church which spreads through the community.. A homeless man gets up in church requesting help from the parish. He is ill and needs a safe place to go. When he dies the parish took up causes that were presented to them. they decided to sign an agreement to do things as they are and to act in ways to glorify God through giving of themselves . to follow 'in Christ's steps in each stage of his life. People changed jobs, had children, cleaned up the slums and dried up the liquor and drug traffic. It inspired me and changes my life. I got it from my Grandfather when I was aboujt 10.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 12:50:07 PM PST
The most life changining books for me are Cows and High Life by Matthew Stokoe and any book or should i say every book by DENNIS COOPER. Over the edge and extremely disturbing reading for sure. Not for everyone but for those of us who understand. TRUST ME..........

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 1:02:22 PM PST
gypsyartist says:
Mary Anne: How are Cooper's books disturbing? I am not familiar with him at all.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 2:36:37 PM PST
BOXERSON says:
best book the shack...now he has a new book out can't wait to get it.
the shack will never forget it.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 2:42:14 PM PST
gypsyartist says:
Who is the author of "The Shack" ?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 10:18:44 PM PST
jules MItch says:
I too loved the Shack, I followed my husband around reading it to him. I gave my copy to a friend and told her to give it to someone else. Then I got another copy at a yard sale and will read it again. I also love the book My own true psychic adventures by Nora p. Grafton it was published in 1977
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best Books forum (70 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
recently read best book 220 Jun 8, 2014
Christian authors. 0 Jun 8, 2014
The Light Between Oceans, (Stedman) 10 Jun 8, 2014
Best Book Ever 1222 Jun 6, 2014
Poetry 2 May 9, 2014
Looking for suggestions for a book that takes place in a Christmas setting. 1 Apr 30, 2014
Crime Fiction 157 Jan 2, 2014
Best books from the last 10 years 0 Dec 21, 2013
Best pick for a mystery book group 161 Aug 24, 2013
Best book by a new author 41 Aug 21, 2013
Suggest a children book! 1 Aug 21, 2013
Treasure by Les Pendleton 0 Aug 20, 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best Books forum
Participants:  39
Total posts:  53
Initial post:  Jan 4, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions