Customer Discussions > Best Books forum

prices of e books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 72 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 12, 2012 3:59:41 PM PST
helenef says:
I would like to have an explanation why Amazon books for kindle have jumped in price over the past few months. A year ago most books could be purchased for $10 or under. Now they are costing $15 - 2+. Why???

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 4:29:26 PM PST
roger thain says:
I agree. The cost of books is coming down relatively but E Books are going up. Although I invested in a Kindle less than 12 mths ago, I'm thinking that I made a mistake. There is nothing quite like the touchy feely experience of holding a book in your hands. E Books only cut it for me when their is a significant price benefit.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 5:25:59 PM PST
sheri says:
I am very upset about the cost of e-books going up. A year ago I purchased my kindle and loved it. My husband recently purchased one and now the price has gone up. I guess we could just go back to the library again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 1:52:25 AM PST
helenef says:
I am really puzzled at the price of Kindle books now. I can't believe that prices of jumped about 150% in the past 6 months but that is what they are charging. Last year most books were around $10 now some of them are $25.
The library was always good but I thought a kindle would be better - I'm beginning to wonder if I was right.
Amazon are ripping us off.......

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 2:49:46 AM PST
Walrus Gumbo says:
Since I got my iPad I have no use for my Kindle anymore. The Kindle app is superior on the iPad to reading on a Kindle. The iPad has sharper text and graphics and reads like a book, two pages appear at a time and a swipe of a finger on the screen turns the page like a real book.
I do agree that the price of ebooks have become a ripoff! There are no shipping costs involved, no mailing and packaging, what gives? Pure greed I would say. Just as audiophiles are going back to vinyl, the ebook fad may price itself out of existence and folks will go back to the real thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 4:09:32 AM PST
momto5 says:
The nice thing aboit the kindle is the easy of borrowing books from the library. I do it all the time. Down side the wait time for ebooks at the library. But i know the more popular books will have a long wait list and plan my reading accordingly.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:21:29 AM PST
What is really discouraging is the fact that I can buy (softcover) books cheaper elsewhere.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 5:57:25 AM PST
Lorie Cooper says:
In the past i have enjoyed reading books on my kindle and my iPad, but since the prices have risen to be the more than paperback I am boycotting buying any books. Until publishers and retailers stop ripping us off I am going to settle for the library!! I suggest everyone do the same!

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 11:05:00 AM PST
I just bought a Kindle Fire a month ago and have only used it to borrow books from the public library and one from the Kindle Prime Account borrow program. The problem with Kindle' s borrow system is that you are only allowed to borrow one book per month! I won't buy books for my Kindle at the current prices when I can still enjoy a good paperback for much less.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 4:29:56 PM PST
I agree that recent high prices have limited my Kindle purchases to older books and ebooks from the library. Even though I am not reading the latest releases, my "to read" list is so long I hardly notice.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 3:17:15 AM PST
for your info u can get books from the library and get them downloaded to kindle, i dont remember the process but it can be done

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 4:56:01 AM PST
Yes I agree, they are getting more expensive. Not happy Jan !!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 5:52:08 AM PST
Not in Canada.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:25:47 PM PST
Szusisue says:
Yes, particularly when the print book actually costs 20% less than the e book . I thought that in addition to fewer overheads Amazon benefits from the inability to share books, forcing extra purchase. It's discouraging.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 5:03:18 AM PST
Gypsy Queen says:
I agree on this. The 9.99 mark was easy to justify. Now I can't justify ebook prices that are equal to or more expensive than the paperback. We ARE getting taken by either the publisher or Amazon (I am not sure which, but in the end, it doesn't matter.) I have gone back to the library to borrow.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 5:15:00 AM PST
MS JUDI ROY says:
I bought the original Kindle when it came out and then also bought a Fire last year. Up to a year ago, I was buying ebooks all the time. Except for "specials" I don't buy ebooks any more. I hate being taken for a sucker. Kindle says the publisher is setting the eprice, but that is just passing the buck. You can get the paperback version of most anything for half the price of the ebook. Although I really do love my kindle - I am not a fool. Ebooks have only sunk costs - there are no additional costs for distribution or supply. They should be cheaper than the hard copy. I truly believe there is collusion among the publishers to fix the prices of ebooks for their own advantage. All the ebooks - no matter where you buy them, cost the same thing. I will not help them make a fool out of me by allowing them to take me to the cleaners. I have gone back to the 2nd hand bookstores where you ncan getn great recent books for a decent price.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 10:56:45 AM PST
MARIE says:
I am indeed upset about the price of ebooks, but what is the point of "discussion" when Amazon does not respond?

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 10:57:54 AM PST
MARIE says:
I am indeed upset about the price of ebooks, but what is the point of "discussion" when Amazon does not respond?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 2:01:27 PM PST
Walrus Gumbo says:
I for one have stop buying ebooks. I say stop buying Kindles and ebooks. If all of us did the same they would be force to bring down the prices! As consumers we have the power to regulate the market and we need to exercise that power!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 9:26:48 PM PST
Have you ever loaned ebooks from your local library? Totally free! You do have to read them in 21 days but worth it.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 11:48:15 PM PST
BarbaraJean says:
My favorite used book store is run by "The Friends of The Library" where paperbacks are $2.50 or less and hardcover in the $3.50 to $5 range depending on condition or newness. You can't go wrong. Proceeds go to the city library to purchase new books. All books at the used book store are donated by the town residents. My library has e-books to check out. It has a network with several counties where, if your town library does not have the book you want, the library can obtain it from another library in the system. Most libraries have great on-line services where you can check for the books you want. Yes, I order from Amazon IF the price is right, but I am using my library a good deal too. Thank God I live near Powell's where they have used books by most authors at a considerable discount. One does not have to purchase new if the price is too high. There are other options.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 1:29:28 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 24, 2012 1:33:59 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 3:51:11 AM PST
Hi
Cannot do this in Canada where I live.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 6:24:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 6:42:47 AM PST
I agree that the new releases have become more expensive. I read a lot of books of all types. I like certain authors and before kindle I would buy them or borrow from library which always has a wait list for new releases. On kindle certain popular authors are expensive even on their old titles. I still buy actual books at times, but if I bought every book o read I would have no room in my house. The walls would be held up by books. I just carefully select what I want to buy, put others on my wish list until I can borrow from Prime or discover a good deal on an actual book. I have a 900 sq.ft. home so the capacity to have my library stored for me elsewhere really works best for me. In addition, I live in a town with no public library and the closest is at least a 40 minute round trip drive. Same as for the used book store. Sometimes thrift shops will be a source but its not a guarantee for books I want now. I put a cap on what I will spend in any given month for books, whether physical or e-book. Also the closest new book store near me is a one hour minimum round trip commute. Due to the limitations of living in a town with only one stoplight, 2 gas stations, 1 restaurant, 1 pizza place, 1 video store and no banks, a kindle works best for me.

Also, anyone know what is going on with the class acion suit filed regarding the overcharge for e- books?

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 1:03:53 PM PST
I live in the Caribbean & cannot borrow ebooks from my local library. I download samples to my kindle and if I like the book and am willing to wait, often purchase it used from an Amazon Seller.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best Books forum (68 discussions)

ARRAY(0xa211190c)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best Books forum
Participants:  45
Total posts:  72
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions