Customer Discussions > Best Books forum

Best Book Ever

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:13:55 AM PST
Gone Girl was a good read. I like Stephen King. Not always crazy about story line but he's a GOOD writer. The last one Of his I enjoyed was the assasination story ...11-23->>...I am just catching up with Justin Cronin's 2nd book, The Twelve. If you haven't read The Passage, it's the first. He has some other books as well. And I just finished the Ken Follet Fall of Giants and I love it! Can't wait to have time for next book by Follet. I'm a Mississippian.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 3:17:35 AM PST
Boekwurm says:
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - the most beautiful story of humans ever written. When I bought my kindle I made sure it was the first book that I downloaded, I never ever want to be without this book.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 3:18:24 AM PST
Caper says:
I agree. This was one of the best books I have read in awhile. Ken Follett is a wonderful writer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:09:08 AM PST
Lynn Aronson says:
I loved that book as well!!! Just finished reading "Once We were Brothers", by Ronald Balson. It was wonderful!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:09:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 4:15:09 AM PST
kben says:
I have never heard of this book...THE BOOK THIEF by MARCUS ZUSAK what is it about??mystery? history? non fiction? fiction? please answer..i'm interested...thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:10:30 AM PST
Lynn Aronson says:
I agree. An amazing story!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:12:12 AM PST
Lynn Aronson says:
I just finished this book, and insisted my book group read it. Since I will be away in the winter, I will review it for them in the spring. It was wonderful!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:19:03 AM PST
Connor Lynch says:
It's told from the point of view of "Death" who sees a little girl in a cattle car in Nazi Germany. He takes an interest in her and tells us the story of her life. There's a lot more to the story, but that's basically it in a nutshell. Fantastic book.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:26:23 AM PST
Lynn Aronson says:
Kelly, I missed the name of that book about the little girl. Could you please tell me the name and author. It sounds like something I'd like to read. Thanks so much!!

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 6:15:47 AM PST
Z. Michael says:
This discussion is great, always looking for something new and surprising. I guess I am a complete book lovin fool!
Across the genres I go
Pillars of the earth - awesome and no doubt, Folliett is an incredible writer
I loved State of Wonder by Anne Patchett - great read
Read all of Larsson's Girl with Golden Tattoo series - excellent
Scary stuff loved..
Ghost Story - T.R. Freeman, Classic old fashioned ghost story
The Woman in Black - Susan Hill, another excellent scary tale
Try little known Rod Redux if you like the scary, first one I read was House of Dead Trees and just kept going with all of his books ( I had never heard of him)
One of my very favorite of favorites is Joe Abercrombie, even better than George RR Martin, although I do love him
Abercrombie writes such awesome characters, I am completely hooked on him. These books are in the Science fiction genre and maybe would appeal more to men than women, but what can I say I am a woman and I LOVE The Bloody Nine and Glotka, two of the most interesting people I have ever come to know. I can't reccomend Abercrombies books enough, just maybe not for everyone. Start with The First Law series - The Blade Itself, Before they were Hanged and Last Argument of Kings, then I read Best Served Cold, Heroes (just finished) can't wait for Red Country ( Nov.20th)If you like big strong men with real depth of character, you will love Abercrombie!

Also reading The Twelve - Justin Cronin, second in a three book series that began with The Passage, its going quickly and no dissapointment!

Man I am across the board on my love of books, I threw in Proof of Heaven last week, read it in two days...very interesting

I always mix in some old classic's just read Tess of the Durberville's - wonderful, wonderful.

Need to get back to Folliett soon and will check out the recommedation of Cutting the Stone.

I've left out a bunch, so many wonderful writers and so many wonderful stories, for me reading is transportation, traveling to worlds alien to my own and being right there. I just hope to be traveling forever!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:19:41 AM PST
Lynn Aronson says:
I know the book, "Cutting for Stone", which was excellent, but never heard of "Cutting the Stone"???

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 7:00:15 AM PST
The Secret Keeper and the Bone Bed

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:36:37 AM PST
Lynn Aronson says:
Gone Girl was amazing, but I thought to myself, that author is either a brilliant author , or psychotic herself. I'm sure it's the latter. I wondered how anyone could think of all these ploys. Very cleverly written!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:37:25 AM PST
Lynn Aronson says:
I just realized what book you were describing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:52:30 AM PST
cookie says:
I loved that book! And all her others.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:57:08 AM PST
cookie says:
I loved Angela's Ashes so much. It was such a sad story but Frank McCourt wrote with a hint of funny sarcasim that often made me smile.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 6:53:22 AM PST
The Source by James Michener was my favorite book. It is a historical novel spanning centuries and is fascinating and educational.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 9:43:19 AM PST
Having just visite Israel, I remember back to decades ago when I read The Source. Loved this book as well as the Drifters.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 10:43:37 AM PST
Haven't read one of his books yet. Which of his series should I read?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 10:48:52 AM PST
Probably I've loaned my copy to other folks more than I've loaned any other book I own.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 1:57:43 PM PST
Fiona Ramsay says:
The Heart of the Matter - Graham Greene
Justine -Laurence Durrell
Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:08:44 PM PST
Lynn Aronson says:
I"m sure you had a wonderful trip and loved your visit!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:19:22 PM PST
alyce black says:
I loved Dickens Our Mutual Friend. Memorable for me was, for one, The Chosen by Chaim Potok. Any story by a Holocaust survivor casts a spell on my memory.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:02:32 PM PST
To the best of my knowledge, Chaim Potok was not a Holocaust survivor if you referred to him as one. Maybe it was another author.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:14:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:18:52 PM PST
alyce black says:
Nancy, I know, I was just remembering how the story stayed with me. I recently read: The Hare with the Amber Eyes, A Child al Confino, and The Lost Wife. Such suffering.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best Books forum (70 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Worst Book Ever Written? 419 Mar 14, 2015
recently read best book 220 Jun 8, 2014
Christian authors. 0 Jun 8, 2014
The Light Between Oceans, (Stedman) 10 Jun 8, 2014
Best Book Ever 1222 Jun 6, 2014
Poetry 2 May 9, 2014
Looking for suggestions for a book that takes place in a Christmas setting. 1 Apr 30, 2014
Crime Fiction 157 Jan 2, 2014
Best books from the last 10 years 0 Dec 21, 2013
Best pick for a mystery book group 161 Aug 24, 2013
Best book by a new author 41 Aug 21, 2013
Suggest a children book! 1 Aug 21, 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best Books forum
Participants:  638
Total posts:  1223
Initial post:  Sep 8, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 6, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 31 customers

Search Customer Discussions