Customer Discussions > Best Books forum

Top five books you've read?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 151 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 23, 2012 1:34:51 PM PST
I want a range of books to download on my kindle and figured this is the best place to ask! :)

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 2:25:57 PM PST
The most memorable final scene - Pet Cemetery
The most memorial villain - Pillars of the Earth
The most memorable female character - Great Expectations
The most memorable setting - Wuthering Heights
The most memorable male character - Jack Reacher
s

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 2:56:00 PM PST
Their Eyes Were Watching God
The Way the Crow Flies
She's Come Undone
Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta Series
Anything by Jo Nesbo

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 4:37:52 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
K.B. Holland - I ditto your "most memorable male character" REACHER. Let's hope Tom Cruise doesnt screw up Reacher's image.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 5:57:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 5:59:25 AM PST
I agree that Jack Reacher is a most memorable and even honorable character. Too bad the movie stars a very short Tom Cruise (who is also one of the producers of the film). I have only seen the preview of the movie and I will go see it, but just thinking about who would of made a great Jack Reacher and I think Dolph Lundgen would have made a great Jack Reacher personified.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 6:07:51 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
There are many big guy actors out there to play Reacher. I personally thought they should have gotten an unknown. Someone we would only relate to as Reacher. But, unfortunetely, unknown actors dont have the kind of money Cruise has to buy the rights. Child probably made more money on this than his books. I would love to see the show serialized on TV - but, no way is Cruise going to do TV - and who would want him anyway!?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 11:27:48 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 11:50:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 11:55:44 AM PST
Would of, would have, you get the idea. Wasn't submitting this for my doctoral dissertation.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 12:15:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 12:15:59 PM PST
How about names of authors instead of books. Robert B. Parker (Spenser for Hire, Jesse Stone, Sunny Randall, Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch). Tom Selleck is writing the sreenplay, producing and acting in the Jesse Stone series. Great movies as well. Check them out.
Other authors include: Michael Connelly, Sue Grafton, Sara Paretsky, Vince Flynn, John D. McDonald, Caleb Carr. There are also the ever popular John Grisham, James Patterson, Janet Evonovich. As for some books, if you haven't read them yet, try the Millenium Trilogy by Steigg Larssen (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). Another import is "The Hangmans Daughter". It will soon be a trilogy as well. Hope you enjoy these recommendations.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 12:17:53 PM PST
gypsyartist says:
LOLA....I am LMAO....BTW - I dont think Reacher would mind. He seems like a nice guy and doubtful he would correct your grammar.
Have fun tonight for Xmas Eve.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 12:20:44 PM PST
Thank you. I wish you a very festive holiday season as well.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 12:23:32 PM PST
gypsyartist says:
Lola - I enjoy almost all the authors you list. I never could get into Paretsky for some reason. But I do like most of the rest. Right now I'm reading Michael Connelly "The Drop" - very good. So far he has not sacraficed his writing for $$$. The Stone series is just nice reading, but nothing dramatic. Grafton should have ended her alphabet series at K. She keeps re-writing the same old stuff. I like Stephanie Plum's boyfriends more than I like her! (lol) All Larssen books were good - I like the second one the best - more about the girl.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 12:45:42 PM PST
foyelady says:
Lord of the Rings Trilogy, (read twice) JRR Tolkien; Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand ; Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides; The Help, Kathryn Stockett; To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee; The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver. All of these books are great in their own ways. Its almost impossible to single one out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 12:45:47 PM PST
Paretsky is not for all. I like Plums Granny Mazur and I would take Ranger over Joe. Sue Grafton is escape reading in true sense of the word. I do agree with you plot wise so I now wait for those too be inexpensive enough to purchase. If you haven't seen the Jesse Stone movies they are light escapism but does have one serious topic per movie. Rentable at Redbox or Netflix. I also liked book 2 of Dragon Tattoo series best. The Swedish film versions of all three books were very good. They did a lot with a small budget. The US film version made the movie more about Mika than Lisbeth. Her character was not very developed in that high budget version. " The Hangmans Daughter is by Oliver Potsch. Took a bit to get into and then I couldn't wait for more. I feel that "The Alienist" is the best of the Caleb Carr books. I'd be happy to hear any recommendations you have. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 12:49:58 PM PST
Have you tried Stephen R Donaldsons Thomas Covenant series? Liked the first set of 3 best. The 2nd set of 3 was good but I felt like it started to bog down some. I never read any of the others after that. Thanks for the recommendations.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 1:00:08 PM PST
Wheels says:
Don' recall his name but the actor who played the Swede on Hell On Wheels would have made a perfect Jack Reacher!

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 1:11:55 PM PST
gypsyartist says:
Wheels: We all have to get over our best picks for Reacher Actor. Cruise bought the rights and we have to live with Cruise. (sigh)

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 1:19:31 PM PST
gypsyartist says:
Lola: We all love those "bad boys" dont we? haha...Yeah, Ranger is fun. But, I think Joe may be better for the long haul. I think I like the black girl best in Plum's books. I can just picture her in those spandex outfits. I never did see the movie - heard it was lousy. I have seen a few of the Selleck movies. Yes, easy movies for an early Sunday evening. I like Selleck - but, he never made it big - nice actor, nice guy, cute? I'll have to put Hangman on my "to read" list. I also like Harlan Coben, John Sanford, J J Jance, John B Parker, and James Burke. The Kellerman's are ok too. I like wife's books better than husband. And I now also read their son's books. Most all of these are mystery thrillers. Once in awhile I need a break from them and I'll pick up a Maeve Binchy - with a nice glass of wine.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 2:24:02 PM PST
These books are all favorites of mine; however, if you have never read "all" of Geraldine Brooks books, you are missing out on one of the best writers I have ever read----that is saying a lot, as I read about 12+ books a year! Particularly MARCH and CALEB'S CROSSING, and THE BOOK. - - - -- Jo Anne Brooks

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 6:14:35 PM PST
gypsyartist says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 5:38:28 AM PST
War and Peace Best Book EVER
Great Maria - Most memorable Heroine
Rochester (Jane Eyre) - Best Hero/Villain of all time
Sydney Carlton - Tale of Two Cities - Most Memorable Scene
I Should Have Seen It Coming When the Rabbit Died - Teresa Bloomingdale - Funniest book - especially if you are a mother of boys!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 1:38:13 PM PST
Cathy says:
The Help by Stockett, Kathryn

Art of Racing in the Rain Stein, Garth
Bel Canto Patchett, Ann
Broken for You Kallos, Stephanie

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 3:31:05 PM PST
L. Young says:
Anna Karenina - Tolstoy
Germinal - Zola
The Elegance of the Hedgehog
The God of Small Things -Roy
Death in Venice - Mann
Women in Love - Lawrence
Of Human Bondage - Maugham
Tess of the D'Urbervilles -Hardy
The Mayor of Casterbridge -Hardy
Jane Eyre - Bronte

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 7:30:29 AM PST
Great list--We like the same types of literature:
Crime & Punishment--Dostoyevsky
The Red & The Black-Stendahl
American Pastoral--Philip Roth
Sons & Lovers--D.H. Lawrence
Dubliners--James Joyce
Madame Bovary--Gustave Flaubert
A Hologram For the King--Dave Eggers--Best Book of 2012

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 7:40:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 7:47:24 AM PST
BGZap says:
1 ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF SOLITUDE-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez
2. RIDDLEY WALKER-- Russell Hoban
3. THE THIRD MAN -- Graham Greene
4. THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD-- JOHN LE CARRE
5. TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD -- Harper Lee
6. GRAPES OF WRATH --John Steinbeck
7. VANITY FAIR-- William Makepeace Thackeray
8. APACHE LAND -- Ross Santee
9. WINTERDANCE-- Gary Paulsen
10.SEVEN PILLARS OF WISDOM -- T E Lawrence
I cheated. This is not 5 books and there are so many more that are wonderful i could do this all day and not get done.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best Books forum (70 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
recently read best book 220 Jun 8, 2014
Christian authors. 0 Jun 8, 2014
The Light Between Oceans, (Stedman) 10 Jun 8, 2014
Best Book Ever 1222 Jun 6, 2014
Poetry 2 May 9, 2014
Looking for suggestions for a book that takes place in a Christmas setting. 1 Apr 30, 2014
Crime Fiction 157 Jan 2, 2014
Best books from the last 10 years 0 Dec 21, 2013
Best pick for a mystery book group 161 Aug 24, 2013
Best book by a new author 41 Aug 21, 2013
Suggest a children book! 1 Aug 21, 2013
Treasure by Les Pendleton 0 Aug 20, 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best Books forum
Participants:  84
Total posts:  151
Initial post:  Dec 23, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 30, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions