Customer Discussions > Best Books forum

Best pick for a mystery book group

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 162 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2013 6:05:52 PM PDT
Thank you for answering my question, I will also look up kincade and Emma James

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 9:02:34 AM PDT
W. King says:
Re: posada Series- the are really 2 series that blend together. An older retired Sheriff, the current sherrif and a female Undersherrif. They are set in modern day New Mexico but very modern problems. Using modern day equipment. Its the characters that drive this series. You will like all of them and the stories are very good with good characters on the fringe.
I like all mysteries. But not blood, guts and children in danger.I am also reading Bad Monkey (typical and funny) and Kincade and Emma James latest in series. So I likke all kinds, and find the Posada Mysteries a very good, easy enjoyable read.
wking

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2013 8:49:35 PM PDT
I think I found the Posada Mysteries, but are they all western theme?

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 8:47:49 PM PDT
myohmy says:
To WKing Gysyartist had recommended the book Invisible by McCourtney and so I bought it and was just giving feedback. Sorry wrong person but you might enjoy the book anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2013 5:24:37 PM PDT
W. King says:
Re: what are we talking about... Thank you.
Wking

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2013 9:01:12 AM PDT
myohmy says:
Yes, I am reading Invisible now. It is different not really funny and actually sort of sad. But it is good writing and enjoyable. The main character is an elderly lady, others drop in and out.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2013 7:52:52 AM PDT
GYSYARTIST: Thank you for the information on "Reply to this post" as I didn't know how this worked. Has anyone out there read "Invisible" yet?

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 6:57:28 AM PDT
gypsyartist says:
Also - in the top right corner of the post is a "In reply to" - if you click on that, you can see the post they are replying to.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2013 6:56:21 AM PDT
gypsyartist says:
If people just click on "reply to this post" you can see which post they are referring to.

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 6:44:01 AM PDT
W. King says:
wking: I have just been recommended to the Posada Mysteries by Steven Havill. Good, easy reading and characters you can like. Both the men and the women.
Also, then a person answers a question or asks a question wil you please refer to what you are talking about. Sometimes the reply is several posts later and I don't know what is being referred to.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2013 3:27:07 PM PDT
Will W. says:
Is there another author you would compare to Ms. McCourtney? I am a Joe Lansdale, James Lee Burke, Sanford & Child fan. Any similarities?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2013 2:35:43 PM PDT
suspenseful and really funny, you must read INVISIBLE by Lorena McCourtney. this is first of a series, but all her books stand alone, but please start with
invisible. I have read 7 of her books and loved them all.
RETIRED READER

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2013 7:48:20 PM PDT
myohmy says:
I love the older mysteries too. They develop characters that you grow fond of and like to follow. 87th by Ed McBain are good. Thanks for reminding me of some oldies but goodies!

Posted on Jun 23, 2013 4:29:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2013 4:30:50 PM PDT
book crazy says:
I don't really know any funny mysteries, but here are a few that I have enjoyed: Do Unto Others by Jeff Abbott, Cradle and All by Zachary Alan Fox, Bloodline by Sidney Sheldon (this is a little mystery in with romance), The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie, The Curious Cape Cod Skull by Marie Lee, Hour of the Knife by Sharon Zukowski, The Patient in Room 18 by Mignon Eberhart. Most of these are older. For some reason I enjoy some of the older mysteries that are more mystery than gore.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2013 1:36:26 PM PDT
I am back at this chat room after days out... BUT I just found Roger Stelljes --- he's not really a new author per se --- but his first novel "First Case" is excellent! Great characters, good plot (one of those that you just don't even guess!), and I just went into Kindle and bought it for my brother in Salt Lake City --- plus I got "The St. Paul Conspiracy" by him as well. After St. Paul I am going to get two more that he wrote... but get "First Case"... at $1.99 you will have a wonderful time reading it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2013 5:20:25 AM PDT
gypsyartist says:
Yes. In the very beginning, I thought it was going to be the usual. But, later I couldnt put it down. It seems to me like many books start out slow, then go like a a runaway train, only to end weakly.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2013 2:44:15 AM PDT
I aggree the ending was anti-climatic compared to the story once it got going. At first I thought the writing was too wordy with excessive details
but once I was passed the first 100 pages or so it really peaked my interest.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2013 4:25:40 PM PDT
gypsyartist says:
I like Parker too.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2013 4:24:53 PM PDT
gypsyartist says:
Many people said the ending was a disappointment. It was just OK for me. I actually liked her other two books.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2013 4:13:11 PM PDT
I completely agree, read all of the Spencer books by Parker. Feel like I lost some good company when Parker passed away. Only series I might reread is the Spencer books.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2013 4:05:46 PM PDT
Love the Prendergast books.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2013 4:00:59 PM PDT
I was waiting for someone to mention their books of the Prendergast series. They are amazing. I am always waiting for the next one to come out.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2013 3:44:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2013 4:09:30 PM PDT
Very disappointing ending. The author could have gone any where with this premise of Gone Girl.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 2:22:09 PM PDT
Will W. says:
Spencer & Hawk opened the world of books to my sons. I put a book on tape into the player at the outset of a vacation trip. They didn't want to get out of the car when I stopped for gas. They read Parker to this day. May he rest in peace.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 1:13:26 PM PDT
Music lover says:
Have you read Lawrence Block. His stories about Bernie the book store owner/burgler are great
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best Books forum (70 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
recently read best book 220 Jun 8, 2014
Christian authors. 0 Jun 8, 2014
The Light Between Oceans, (Stedman) 10 Jun 8, 2014
Best Book Ever 1222 Jun 6, 2014
Poetry 2 May 9, 2014
Looking for suggestions for a book that takes place in a Christmas setting. 1 Apr 30, 2014
Crime Fiction 157 Jan 2, 2014
Best books from the last 10 years 0 Dec 21, 2013
Best pick for a mystery book group 161 Aug 24, 2013
Best book by a new author 41 Aug 21, 2013
Suggest a children book! 1 Aug 21, 2013
Treasure by Les Pendleton 0 Aug 20, 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best Books forum
Participants:  84
Total posts:  162
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions