Customer Discussions > Best Books forum

Worst Book Ever Written?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 415 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 21, 2013 12:54:12 PM PDT
The Scarlet Letter

Posted on May 21, 2013 9:18:26 AM PDT
gypsyartist says:
I have read all 3 of the Dragon Tattoo books and enjoyed all of them. I think I liked the 3rd one best. I have also seen all of the movies, including the US version - which was more glitzy. I really liked Gone Girl so I went to library and also got her other 2 which are just as good - altho dark.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2013 7:52:21 AM PDT
gree says:
I, too, disliked Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, so did not read the ones that followed. I have not read the other two, but have Gone Girl on my reading list.

Posted on May 21, 2013 7:20:24 AM PDT
I have 3 gone girl, girl with dragon tattoo and three sisters by susan mallery. I was surprided bec I liked her other books.

Posted on May 17, 2013 5:20:21 PM PDT
I the Jury, by Mickey Spillane. It really IS so awful it's hilarious.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2013 1:48:59 AM PDT
S' Anne says:
I didn't read the book but I did watch the movie. I'm not a big fan of either actor, but the story touched my heart. There were so many young girls and ladies who fell in love in Europe in those last months. I met some and they had
been given a really more romantic picture then the one they found when they got here. In this one they even let her stay a model for her Children.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2013 9:11:16 AM PDT
gree says:
carolms, now I see your reasoning. But, frankly, even my most favorite actor ever would not be a sufficient reason to get me to waste time reading a book like that, nor see the movie if he did play the part in question.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2013 7:33:05 AM PDT
carolms says:
I borrowed A Discovery of Witches from a friend with interest because they are supposed to be making the film. There is a group on the internet trying to get an actor I really admire to play the lead, Matthew. I just hope he leaves the vampires in the past. I love great novels and I am disappointed in this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2013 12:43:20 PM PDT
gree says:
carolms: and yet, you are still buying them and still reading them...why?

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 12:06:37 PM PDT
carolms says:
A Discovery of Witches. Yikes this one is bad! I hope this is the last attempt at any authors trying to cash in on the whole vampire thing. Enough already. I actually read to about page 100 of this book and can't take another minute. The vampires, witches and daemons all at yoga togther just did me in. No need to read any further. I have never written a bad review before but this book is a waste of time and the movie will be too, no matter who plays Matthew.

Posted on Apr 17, 2013 12:37:16 PM PDT
D. Taylor says:
Actually...one of the better comedy adventures written...Bogota by Bus. This is a new novel by funny Librarian, Doug Taylor. Follow the hilarious antics and treacherous adventures of two American Coleagues just trying to take a trip to Cancun. Due to a series of untoward accidents, however, the two find themselves, instead, being chased down the Central American Isthmus by Nicaraguan Authorities, bounty hunters and Colombian rebels through no fault of their own ! Just about every Latin American stereotype is portrayed to highten the hilarity. This includes a treacherous flight aboard a DC3 loaded down with Cocaine and with one engine on fire, A 50 something cigar smoking Madam at a brothel who takes a liking to one of the Americans, two Nicaraguan hookers, 3 gorgeous American Embassy Secretaries (one of whom is a tease), a hard nosed Police Captain in Nicaragua, a zany festival with bulls running, an impenetrable jungle, desperate Colombian rebels, relentless bounty hunters, Nicaraguan Special Ops in Panama chasing after them, a hungry and HUGE 300 pound Jaguar, Crocs, army ants, lots of Rum and some unfriendly Woonan Indians. Comedy has never been so treacherous ! Find it on Amazon.com (Kindle).

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 6:43:23 AM PDT
MommaMia says:
The classics are among my favorites. Yet I have to say that although I adore many of them, (Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, The Scarlet Letter, Silas Marner among them) I truly dislike reading something that makes reading more of a chore than an act of relaxation and enjoyment. I don't want to dissect my books. I like to save dissection for the science lab.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2013 6:38:13 AM PDT
I,m reading Moby Dick right now. The book is not bad just a hard read. I still think the book is worth the trouble. You hate it and love it at the same time. The book is really deep and you have to read between the lines. Moby Dick is quite excellent! Just try to expand your horizons as a reader. The classics are wonderful.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 8:10:57 PM PDT
Chip Pomeroy says:
Catcher in the Rye. Without a doubt. No plot, spoiled rich brat main character. Boring. Wish I could get that day of my life back.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 7:00:50 PM PDT
gree says:
and I hear there is a movie on the way (The Host)

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 6:55:41 PM PDT
Mandinha says:
The Host- Stephanie Meyers. It has to be worst book ever written.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 2:09:14 PM PDT
gypsyartist says:
Hmmm, I'm not sure if 35 is too old or not. It also depends on what year you were 35. Many of these books that were "awesome" in the 50 to 70's, dont transfer well to the 90's or 2013. I think I was probably in my early 20's when I read it. I thought it was pretty silly myself and didnt see what the fuss was all about. Maybe in those days - people didnt talk about masturbation and sex?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 2:05:44 PM PDT
gypsyartist says:
I really hate when an author has so much going on in a book and then doesnt know how to tie it all together. When they kill off the main problem maker instead of resolving the issues - I want to scream!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 1:48:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2013 1:49:49 PM PDT
I'm glad I found someone that agrees with me! I said the same thing about this lousy book. I'm sure Oprah never read it. It seems like the author had a timeline to finish the book, ran out of time, so he just killed everyone and everything, or sent them to a mental hospital. What a stinking pile! (referring to Edgar Sawtelle)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 1:31:11 PM PDT
gree says:
gypsyartist: I was 35--was that too old to appreciate Portnoy's Complaint?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 1:23:04 PM PDT
gypsyartist says:
Portnoy's = I think a lot has to do with the age you are when you read it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 12:56:58 PM PDT
gree says:
Patricia: Portnoy's Complaint was not the absolute worst book I ever read, but I sure didn't like it.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 11:47:42 AM PDT
anybody read Portnoy's complaint? The only thing I remember about it was how bad it was,it was a highly rated book and I kept thinking it would get better.It didn't

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 10:47:09 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
Gree: I think many are intrigued about things they know nothing about. It may be the reason it sold so many books. "Curiosity"....

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 10:13:03 AM PST
gree says:
Sex is sex - don't mind reading about it. But S & M and bondage - another ballgame I'd rather not attend.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best Books forum (70 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
recently read best book 220 Jun 8, 2014
Christian authors. 0 Jun 8, 2014
The Light Between Oceans, (Stedman) 10 Jun 8, 2014
Best Book Ever 1222 Jun 6, 2014
Poetry 2 May 9, 2014
Looking for suggestions for a book that takes place in a Christmas setting. 1 Apr 30, 2014
Crime Fiction 157 Jan 2, 2014
Best books from the last 10 years 0 Dec 21, 2013
Best pick for a mystery book group 161 Aug 24, 2013
Best book by a new author 41 Aug 21, 2013
Suggest a children book! 1 Aug 21, 2013
Treasure by Les Pendleton 0 Aug 20, 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best Books forum
Participants:  218
Total posts:  415
Initial post:  Oct 31, 2012
Latest post:  May 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions