Customer Discussions > Best Books forum

Suggest a Book!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 113 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 5, 2012 10:12:35 PM PST
S. Yakish says:
I love weird romance, anything with a bonnie and clyde feel, I like a book that disturbs me.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 6:15:50 PM PST
C. Whitaker says:
S. Yakish - you might like a novella called "Pursuit" - it's a classic and practically started the sweat-popping suspense genre, but it's so good it sorta transcends "genre." You can read it in a day, and probably won't forget it. Not sure if it's even in print.

If you haven't read "The Postman Always Rings Twice," you gotta! Talk about weird romance, bonnie and clyde feel, disturbing! Whoa! James Cain can write a killer story, and this is one of my favorites. Very short, too - about 110 pages.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 11:12:30 AM PST
I am looking for a book with a bit of romance but mainly funny and uplifting. Any one out there can recommend on that fits the bill?

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 2:22:17 PM PST
Unbored by Elizabeth Foy Larsen and Josh Glenn. My kids love it!

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 4:19:55 PM PST
Terrie Maas says:
The book that I am reading is very good it is called Orchardist author Amanda Coplin. You can see and feel the way she writes like the trees.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 9:03:30 AM PST
Merlin says:
For SciFi readers...WOOL, it will be a classic. Also Divergent and Insurgent. Very amusing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 10:43:11 AM PST
You may want to check Linda Francis Lee, all her books are great.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 4:22:22 PM PST
Teresa says:
I want to read another book like Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn which I LOVED! (I have read her previous books as well). Anything like that out there?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:35:02 PM PST
Teresa says:
If you want to be disturbed, try Gillian Flynn's "Dark Places". Really good story, quasi-romance, but disturbing.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 1:16:37 PM PST
Michael Sears "Black Fridays" or Brian Gruley's "Skeleton Box". Great writing up there with Harlan Coben and Stephen White.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 1:30:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 11:29:23 AM PST
J. Theobald says:
A must read for SciFi/History buffs, reading the new release of Troy Jackson's "The Elementals" is intrigue, scheming, plotting rolled into one masterful page turner!The Elementals

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 1:45:41 PM PST
Bill McElroy says:
The Last Supper Catering Company. Should be on Oprah's List, too! Funny, tender, life-affirming. You will fall in love with B. Thankful-Childe.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 2:01:07 PM PST
T. C. Pinard says:
Tom Pinard says:
Shaping Kate, a first work by Hazel Stearns, has to be the sleeper of the year. Her novel tells the wonderful tale of a young "tomboy," growing through her pre-adolescent years in a Southern California high desert town of just a few hundred people. Her word picture could reflect any small town in America and her glimpse of mid-20th century America is just wonderful. It is a book for any young girl, of any age and actually, for us men too, as her reviews are indicating. She has captured the America those of us over 60 grew up in.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 2:16:26 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 13, 2012 2:25:13 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 3:13:26 PM PST
G. L. Niles says:
I'd like to suggest my own book, The Strategic Intelligence of Trust. It's available in Kindle and in paperback. It's concerned with my hypothesis that trust is life's primary biological function, and evolved as such as a determinant of the differences between natures competitive processes which we've come to call either trusted, distrusted or deceptive. Critics have objected that trust and deception are human concepts and not functional. But of course I feel and believe, for reasons outlined in this small book, that they are wrong, and we need to look at all our concepts differently as a result.
Of course you will need to have some interest in the philosophy of evolution to want to look at this subject at all. But those who do find that subject interesting should want to.The Strategic Intelligence of Trust: Life, an Evolutionary Force of Nature

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 3:31:48 PM PST
bsc says:
I just finished E. E. Crowell's "The Golden Boy: Discovering the Secret of Botwon".. and I loved it. You might too.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 2:40:51 PM PST
Last edited by you 8 minutes ago
1 new post since your last visit
Your post: Nov 15, 2012 2:36:26 PM PST
C. A. Barbour says:
Please read "Stones From the River" by Ursula Hegi. It's a novel that is written like poetry. The main character is a young dwarf woman growing up during WWII who runs a pay library with her father. The reader sees the world through her eyes. I must have read parts of the book 5 or 6 times. It made me a better writer.
Chris

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 1:27:07 PM PST
Mind Over Mind by Chris Berdik is the best non-fiction of 2012!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 4:42:09 PM PST
Theresa- have you read Defending Jacob by W. Landay and Tell No One by H. Coben? Including Gone Girl.....these are my favorites. Best, Lynnda

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 8:00:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 8:01:43 PM PST
Teresa - You should Try Joe by H.D. Gordon, that one blew me away
JOE

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 8:32:50 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 18, 2012 8:48:51 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 9:58:21 PM PST
Thanks, Tom. I was surprised that men liked my book, too. What a nice compliment.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 3:29:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 3:33:44 PM PST
Wool Omnibus was absolutely wonderful! It truely is what our future may hold...

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 3:35:14 PM PST
glenn Baker says:
Riggs Crossing by Michelle Renee Heeter. The reader is captured in the first page and a half. Imagery is strong and instantaneous. The story flows without the reader knowing they're reading. The differences in verbiage is fun and the dose of humor quite a surprise. Everyone should be able dislike "Bindi and Cinnamon" easily. Everyone will likewise be pulling for Len, much like "Rudy" in the movie by the same name. I can see this as a film women twelve and up go to see or rent. Len played by a 1970's Linda Blair type and Karen played by a young Drew Barrymore. I liked the foreshadowing keeping me in the vicinity of some events, part of, and culminating in the ending. I rarely read anything cover to cover but certainly did. (http://fordstreetpublishing.com and http://www.michelleheeter.com/)

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 1:18:21 PM PST
Set Up By God by Prophetess Joann Brown. This is an inspirational book that talks about a woman who battled breast cancer, discrimination, abuse and losted some of her loved ones but overcame all obstacles through God's grace and help. It will inspire and motivate you to keep moving on and trust in God even when things seem to be against you.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best Books forum (70 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
recently read best book 220 Jun 8, 2014
Christian authors. 0 Jun 8, 2014
The Light Between Oceans, (Stedman) 10 Jun 8, 2014
Best Book Ever 1222 Jun 6, 2014
Poetry 2 May 9, 2014
Looking for suggestions for a book that takes place in a Christmas setting. 1 Apr 30, 2014
Crime Fiction 157 Jan 2, 2014
Best books from the last 10 years 0 Dec 21, 2013
Best pick for a mystery book group 161 Aug 24, 2013
Best book by a new author 41 Aug 21, 2013
Suggest a children book! 1 Aug 21, 2013
Treasure by Les Pendleton 0 Aug 20, 2013

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best Books forum
Participants:  81
Total posts:  113
Initial post:  Nov 5, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions