Customer Discussions > Best Books forum

Crime Fiction

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 158 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:36:24 PM PST
Stuart Woods' Stone Barrington books.... Almost like a James Bond character with a sense of humor, ladies man but the mystery and suspense are page turners. Easy reading!

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 12:44:57 PM PST
My favorite is still Robert Parkers "Spenser" series I've read and ejoyed all of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:57:43 AM PST
Lee Child hand picked Tom Cruise. I don't understand why, but he did.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:14:39 AM PST
W. A. Welsh says:
I agree with you, sir. Cruise is what, 5'4"? Jack Reacher is 6'5" and made of rock. He is also polite and thoughtful to people less fortunate. And he's SMART. This is a bit personal...but an important part of my persona is my size (6'8", 230 lbs.) I just don't think an extremely small, naturally abrasive man could play me, or Reacher. Cruz is both of those, and he has never been the best at conveying intelligence.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:17:52 AM PST
W. A. Welsh says:
It's Hollywood. I happen to be a good friend of a prominent Director's sister. He told me at her wedding that most people who make movies are "Not very high on the food chain." Remember a PBS show, "Inspector Tennyson", with Helen Mirren? Hollywood wanted that, and planned to cast JULIA ROBERTS. No ----.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:19:50 AM PST
W. A. Welsh says:
It's Hollywood. I happen to be a good friend of a prominent Director's sister. He told me at her wedding that most people who make movies are "Not very high on the food chain." Remember a PBS show, "Inspector Tennyson", with Helen Mirren? Hollywood wanted that, and planned to cast JULIA ROBERTS. No ----. But Cruise is a Teeny Weenie, naturally abrasive, and a little stupid and arrogant. He conveys those things. Reacher is none of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:21:46 AM PST
W. A. Welsh says:
It's Hollywood. I happen to be a good friend of a prominent Director's sister. He told me at her wedding that most people who make movies are "Not very high on the food chain." Remember a PBS show, "Inspector Tennyson", with Helen Mirren? Hollywood wanted that, and planned to cast JULIA ROBERTS. No ----. But Cruise is a Teeny Weenie, naturally abrasive, and a little stupid and arrogant. He conveys those things. Reacher is none of them. What would be wrong with Liam Neeson, 6'4" and solidly built? AND a better actor.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:24:38 AM PST
W. A. Welsh says:
Agree completely. I have this sinking feeling that the most recent book may have been the last Robicheax. Shame the movie they made never even reached the theaters. It was a REAL stinker, in spite of Tommy Lee Jones, John Goodman, Ned Beatty. Worst edited film I ever saw. Jones was the PERFECT Robicheau. I think maybe Hollywood people are just too stupid to understand Burke.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:28:53 AM PST
W. A. Welsh says:
Any of the Robert Parker "Spenser" or "Jesse Stone" books, except his first, "Godwulf Manuscript". Any Ed McBain, but give "Candyland" a try, where he co-authored it with himself, Even Hunter. Any Lawrence Block "Matthew Scudder" series. Skip his others. Any Lee Child, but his best is "Bad Luck and Trouble".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 2:21:16 PM PST
gree says:
W.A. Welsh:
How do you know how bad it was and that it was "worst edited" if it never reached the theaters? How and where did you see it? Also, you didn't name the Burke books to which you are referring; by "last" do you mean Feast Day of Fools? You need to be more specific for those of us who aren't "in."

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 10:46:47 AM PST
C. Fratus says:
I will wait till the movie is on TV. I won't pay to see someone half the size of Reacher.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:18:24 AM PST
W. A. Welsh says:
Er...money, maybe? And besides, SOMEtimes authors give up all control when the sign over movie rights.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:20:03 AM PST
W. A. Welsh says:
She is. But you have to be VERY patient. Her pacing is slow, but she's careful with details. Did I say her pacing is slow? Best for (a) teachers who have the summer off and (b) retirees.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:24:40 AM PST
W. A. Welsh says:
Robicheaux has more heart than Burke's other characters, as well. But I think Burke is tiring of Robicheaux. I have a funny hunch that he tried to kill Robicheaux and Purcell off, and when readers howled, he wrote another that effectively put Dave out to pasture. Burke is THE best writer of crime fiction, and all of his books are very good, but I think maybe he should have stuck with Robicheaux.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:28:26 AM PST
W. A. Welsh says:
Marcia Muller is a pretty good writer, and good for those who are not especially fans of much action. If you don't like much in the way of confrontation, action, and such....it's more drama than crime. But she's pretty good.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 5:34:41 AM PST
W. A. Welsh says:
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Robert Parker! His plotting (my opinion) is only average, but his characters are very real, and the dialogue is easily the snappiest/wittiest in the genre. If you like the language, and books that have such great dialogue you might read them again later, NObody was better. Lawrence Block (but ONLY the Matthew Scudder series, run, don't walk from the others) is better on plotting, not quite as good on dialogue, but pure pleasure. I had to ration these two, 35 pp. per might, or I'd have finished all of them immediately. Oh...do skip Parker's very first book, 'The Godwulf Manuscript", which came out some years before the others.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:01:07 AM PST
W. A. Welsh says:
Because he could lift him with one hand, maybe?

Seriously, Reacher is brilliant when you don't expect him to be, gentle when you least expect it, VERY respectful toward women, and just brutal with them bad guys, partially BECAUSE he's a beast with hands like frozen turkeys. Cruz cannot help being smarmy and obnoxious like a lot of tiny little guys are (what is he, 5'3"? 5'4"?), does not project much intelligence, is being hurt badly by his off-screen craziness, hasn't had a hit in years, and is about 17 years too old. Perfect otherwise.
On a personal note: I happen to be 6'8" and 230 lbs., and there are certain things large people do routinely that small people just don't. You can't coach it, you can't direct it. No one would EVER say to Reacher "Move, pipsqueak"....I'm worried because a lot of good films could come from this, and the selection of Cruise could damage the chances. I can think of...well, Liam Neeson, Craig Bierko, David Morse, Randy Quaid (ignore the crazy parts, he's a VERY good actor), Patrick Bergen....I might rule out Chevy Chase and Abe Vigoda, but come on, there are a large number of good actors with size 14 shoes out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:22:06 AM PST
W. A. Welsh says:
I'm sorry, sir/madam,
It DID make the Blockbuster stores a few years ago. You might be able to find it on Netflix. The movie was V E R Y loosely based on "In the Electric Mists with the Confederate Dead". And please, no need to take my word for it, if you watch it for 1/2 hour you'll see erratic jumps from scene to scene, unexplained occurrences...look, I'm a STATISTICIAN, and I could tell. The movie just cut "with the Confederate Dead" off the title. There are a few scenes in it (e.g., Tommy Lee Jones talking with a long-deceased Confederate soldier) that hint at how good the movie could have been. Anyway...his most recent is "Creole Belle". If you've not read Burke yet, it slightly (but only slightly) better to take him in order. If you want the recommendation of someone who makes no special claim to expertise, my favorites by a decent margin are "Joli Blon's Bounce", "Tin Roof Blowdown" and the aforementioned "Electric Mists..". There has been exactly ONE I didn't care for much, and that was "Crusader's Cross", which I still finished without effort. Sorry, and I hope this helps a little.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 2:19:08 PM PST
gree says:
Half of Paradise is the only Burke book I have read so far. I liked it enough to make me buy more. Thanks for listing those you liked best. I was not patient enough for Elizabeth George. Why waste time and patience when you can read Michael Connelly, Thomas Perry, and anything about the Mafia.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:35:16 PM PST
Sandford is my favorite! Love the "Prey" series, followed up by the spin-off Virgil Flowers novels. Best beach reads, ever!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 5:46:57 AM PST
Robert Shaw says:
Tommy Lee was, and still is, the perfect Robicheaux. They age together. Burke's writing miraculously gets even better as he ages. Maybe Tommy Lee as the older Dave from a recent outing could be done

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 12:04:48 PM PST
mvp says:
As for crime fiction, I agree with many others on Janet Evanovich and J.A. Jance. Their novels keep me anxiously waiting for the next ones as I end up reading them in 1-2 days. Then, I have to go through withdrawals waiting and waiting for the next publications.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 5:22:56 PM PST
avidreader says:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is mystified by this casting. Read an interview with Child who praised him to the skies. Must be money; I'll never read another Reacher book without thinking about skinny, minny Cruise. Don't think I'll see it.
chrisd

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 7:42:05 PM PST
BarbaraJean says:
I, took, thought the same thing. I think it was money--Cruise offered him a boatload. Beware a short man with grandiose ideas

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:03:34 PM PST
BarbaraJean says:
Thomas Perry is a great read. His Jane Whitefield reads are wonderful and I loved them but his "Butcher's Boy" books are really unusual--you find yourself rooting for the assassin. Perry has a number of stand alone's that are terrific stories. Robert Crais has written a good series about Elvis Cole starting with "The Monkey's Raincoat" going on to write about Elvis's pal, Joe Pike, and then there is Michael Connelly and his Harry Bosch series, plus he has a few stand alone's especially "Chasing The Dime" that I enjoyed a lot. I really Liked Laura Lippman early on when she was writing her Tess Monaghan books, however, she now writes very dark books and I have stopped reading her--too disturbing. A great talent was lost when Steig Larrson died after three books in his "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" series. I liked his books greatly. I hope you have discovered the Walt Longmeir books by Craig Johnson starting with "A Cold Dish". If you watched "Longmeir" on A&E, the books and the series are miles apart. Trust Hollywood to screw up a good story. The TV series is nothing like the books.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best Books forum (70 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
recently read best book 220 Jun 8, 2014
Christian authors. 0 Jun 8, 2014
The Light Between Oceans, (Stedman) 10 Jun 8, 2014
Best Book Ever 1222 Jun 6, 2014
Poetry 2 May 9, 2014
Looking for suggestions for a book that takes place in a Christmas setting. 1 Apr 30, 2014
Crime Fiction 157 Jan 2, 2014
Best books from the last 10 years 0 Dec 21, 2013
Best pick for a mystery book group 161 Aug 24, 2013
Best book by a new author 41 Aug 21, 2013
Suggest a children book! 1 Aug 21, 2013
Treasure by Les Pendleton 0 Aug 20, 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best Books forum
Participants:  73
Total posts:  158
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 2, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions