Customer Discussions > Best Books forum

Best book by a new author

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2012 2:19:54 PM PST
Laer Pearce says:
As an author whose first book was published this year (Crazifornia: Tales from the Tarnished State, which reached #1 on Amazon's 21st Century History list), I'm curious about your thoughts regarding the best book by a new author this year.
Crazifornia: Tales from the Tarnished State - How California is Destroying Itself and Why it Matters to America

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 3:28:03 PM PST
G. L. Niles says:
Well, of course I'd have to say it's my own small book, The Strategic Intelligence of Trust. It argues that trust is an intelligent biological strategy, and evolves as the life forms it influences evolve. And that in fact life could not have evolved without that element of its intelligence as a working function.The Strategic Intelligence of Trust: Life, an Evolutionary Force of Nature

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 3:32:21 PM PST
bsc says:
I just finished E. E. Crowell's "The Golden Boy: Discovering the Secret of Botwon".. and I loved it. You might too.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 4:07:49 PM PST
Rom and The Promised Land is the best book by a new author. A historical fiction that reveals the real state of affairs of newly freed slaves immediately following the Civil War. How they were exploited and forced back into virtual slavery by an onerous sharecropping system. A must read for Civil War buffs and history students and teachers. Has received outstanding reviews from highly successful African American leaders.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 5:20:32 PM PST
Brandie Buckwine - fighting faith a erotic romance, very sexy . Rhythm in blues by tfc Parks, great contemporary romance,. And Kallypso masters. Masters in arms or Nobody's hero , military based romances, great series

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 8:35:42 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 18, 2012 8:50:15 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 3:36:31 PM PST
glenn Baker says:
Riggs Crossing by Michelle Renee Heeter. The reader is captured in the first page and a half. Imagery is strong and instantaneous. The story flows without the reader knowing they're reading. The differences in verbiage is fun and the dose of humor quite a surprise. Everyone should be able dislike "Bindi and Cinnamon" easily. Everyone will likewise be pulling for Len, much like "Rudy" in the movie by the same name. I can see this as a film women twelve and up go to see or rent. Len played by a 1970's Linda Blair type and Karen played by a young Drew Barrymore. I liked the foreshadowing keeping me in the vicinity of some events, part of, and culminating in the ending. I rarely read anything cover to cover but certainly did. (http://fordstreetpublishing.com and http://www.michelleheeter.com/)

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 8:01:49 AM PST
Don Baron says:
Do you have"TheGoal of theGospel" by Bickel andNordlie??

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 12:03:42 PM PST
Peggy Strack says:
My debut novel, "A Stop in the Park" is getting great reviews. It's a contemporary story about a disillusioned married couple who yearn to esacape the trap of the modern American dream. I'd love your thoughts! Thanks for checking it out! ~ Peggy Strack

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 6:57:31 AM PST
The Best book by a new writer is SEE JACK DIE AND THE 2 BOOK IN THE SERIES SEE JACK HUNT it keeps you on PINS SND NEEDLES IT SHOJL BE S MOVIE

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 12:20:38 PM PST
Beyond the Beautiful Forever....fantastic and a completely true story...

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 2:00:05 AM PST
If you like suspense that covers several countries with a good dose of family and food and a dash of romance, try my latest release, Secrets of the Enemy. Join Chelsea Merrill, first ever female Presidential aide, and Jasper Peters-Templeton of the Secret Service as they process the clues to a plot by terrorists to hit 13 sites simultaneously in the U.S. They are joined by French pop/rock star, Charm Dumotte, and handsome Irish Interpol agent Donnell McKinnon when Charm brings her concerts to America. Donnell quickly realizes the two cases are really one huge case, and the stage is set for explosive action!
Secrets of the Enemy

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 9:57:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2012 10:12:13 AM PST
RMc says:
Ordinary Heroes: Based on a True Story -- recreates the sights, sounds and textures of a world gone by -- a world of freedom, innocence and mystery -- where boys leave home at 6:00 in the morning and return home for dinner -- a world of sleep-outs and midnight escapades.

Fourteen year old Randy's life begins as a near-death experience. But -- cerebral palsy aside, by 1959 he loves Sandra Dee, Sandy Koufax, the Dodgers, Wolfman Jack -- and a girl named Daisy Clover -- in that order.

Things begin to pop when neighborhood boys poke around the crumbling Jefferson place and discover perplexing evidence -- pointing to something very different from the official version of their neighborhood hero's death: confusing clues, threatening notes, phone calls -- and violence. If nineteen year old Scotty Jefferson's death is an "open and shut, police slam dunk" -- why all the fuss?

Ordinary Heroes -- based on a true story

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 10:58:30 AM PST
B J Fuller says:
Marilyn,
Best book by a new author :Speak Nothing of the Dead But Good. One of the best crime novels I've read this year. Grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 9:40:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 9:41:30 PM PST
L'Amore Perfetto: The Perfect Love by Cynthia Kimball This is by a new author and is a nice read. Great for stocking stuffers. I put this up on the wrong list, so I am putting this up on this list. It makes a person feel light heated,

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 6:33:40 AM PST
Consequences and Truth by Aleatha Romig. Will keep you guessing with all the twists and turns! A must read! Could not put them down!!

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 10:44:22 AM PST
Writer Girl says:
I recently read William Cone's Dead Ringer (a novel). I don't usually read this genre,military history (and alternative at that,) but looked at the first bit and was pulled in and then couldn't put it down! This fast-paced, WWII adventure supposes that Germany has created an atomic bomb. A special allied team (with their own 'secret weapon') must stop the fuel (coming from another Axis power) from making its rendezvous with the U-boat carrying the weapons. Many of the characters are borrowed directly from history in this well-researched book by a U.S. Army officer. I have since recommended it to many people - The can't put it down syndrome struck them too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 12:52:11 PM PST
TN says:
It has to be nearly impossible to pick THE best book by a new author. It is so subjective. For instance my book "Breathe for Me" received 14 five star ratings. But an author who sold more and had lower ratings might take the best book award. There's a lot of factors. www.Terriwhitmire.com

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 9:06:48 AM PST
Janelle C. says:
Hands down, I would have to say "Amnesia" by Ambria Camelle. That book is phenomenal. I read it not too long ago and was sucked in from beginning to end. The way she takes one statement made by character that may seem insignificant at the time and relates it to a separate scene chapters later to give you that "ah ha" moment is brilliant! It's definitely a must have!!!

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 6:41:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2013 6:44:22 PM PST
M. Liu says:
Our Man in China: A Novel was just published last year, and is the author's first book - it's a great and entertaining read, especially for anyone interested in China and what's going on there now...topical, and somewhat niche, but also great fun, interesting and provocative...

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 5:02:12 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
I always look for a debut novel by a new author. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 5:14:51 PM PST
Best Book EVER!

A fabulous debut novel has just been released by an exciting, up and coming author, Jeanne Claire Probst. 'The Fifteen Houses' is a amazing new series.
This author is one to watch as she has such a wonderful way of narrating and drawing her audience into the front row .
The Fifteen Houses follows Julianne Marguerite, as she delves into her recurring and discomforting memories of her younger years. With her you will be transported back in time feeling all that she felt. Truely amazing!

I love this series!!!!

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 7:16:36 PM PST
Amy Lynn by Jack July. No Idea where this came from but it is one of the most uniquely written books I have ever read. The story of a little girl and her family. It made me laugh out loud and cry real tears. Just Amazing, it should go viral.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 7:35:16 PM PST
gypsyartist says:
I like first novels. The authors are so excited about their first book. Is it in the library yet?

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 10:55:18 AM PST
Please consider my novel "Knock Knock" just out from The Permanent Press. I am so pleased to have had interesting comments on Amazon reviews, but I'd love to hear more from other readers. This is my first novel, the stories that came before were in a collection called Drought. But the novel is so funny and sad and half true of my life and sometimes very true, especially of the times; the fifties, the sixties and seventies. From a small town in Wisconsin the main character March goes on to Vassar and then marries (out of desperation) and raises three daughters in Chicago. After a divorce and a time of chaos and a breakdown she comes through to a life that is not perfect by any means but ok. She works as a fiction editor at Playboy Magazine and meets interesting writers and becomes the writer she had wanted to be. In the epilogue March looks back on these years from Sag Harbor, New York where she has settled and where she writes the novel she had put aside years before.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best Books forum (70 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
recently read best book 220 Jun 8, 2014
Christian authors. 0 Jun 8, 2014
The Light Between Oceans, (Stedman) 10 Jun 8, 2014
Best Book Ever 1222 Jun 6, 2014
Poetry 2 May 9, 2014
Looking for suggestions for a book that takes place in a Christmas setting. 1 Apr 30, 2014
Crime Fiction 157 Jan 2, 2014
Best books from the last 10 years 0 Dec 21, 2013
Best pick for a mystery book group 161 Aug 24, 2013
Best book by a new author 41 Aug 21, 2013
Suggest a children book! 1 Aug 21, 2013
Treasure by Les Pendleton 0 Aug 20, 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best Books forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions