Customer Discussions > Best Books forum

Best Movie made from a book?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 55 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 12, 2013 6:37:26 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
My vote goes to "The English Patient". In my opinion the movie was better than the book.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 8:04:21 PM PST
LJM VO says:
Dr. Zhivago (the first one). Gone with the wind

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 2:38:06 PM PST
MysticR iver

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 9:01:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 9:03:15 PM PST
Gone with the Wind without a doubt. However, for accuracy from book to movie you can't beat the John Grisham novel conversions. The Robert B. Parker "Jesse Stone" books make good movies as well. Tom Selleck does an excellent job. (7 movies made).

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 3:33:43 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
Lola: I've always wondered why Tom Selleck never became a bigger star. He's a hunk and a decent actor. Gone with the Wind was done very well, especially considering the time period it was made. I think "The Help" was another good, recent conversion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:27:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 7:32:41 AM PST
Hi dear Gypsy, I haven't read The Help or seen the movie. I guess I should as it has been recommended a lot. Tom Selleck produced the first 3 Jesse Stone movies and then started on the writing of the screenplay srcipts and Executive producing the movies. Robert B Parker died in 2010, a sad loss for the literary world, Tom Selleck continues to write and produce the Jesse Stone series at the rate of one a year. They are direct to tv (don't know which channel). The last two books have been written by someone else. Same with his Spenser for Hire series, which I love as well. While I miss the magic Parker put in his books the new writers aren't bad. Parker also wrote some westerns of which one was made into a mocie. It was Appaloosa starring Ed Harris and Viggo Mortenson. Quite well done.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:45:51 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
Lola: I have seen the Jesse Stone movies and enjoyed Selleck. I have read some of Parker's books.
I did not read "The Help" (which is unusual for me) but I did see the movie. Friends that read the book said it was much better. Once I saw the movie, I had enough of the whole theme and was not anxious to go over it. The movie was lovely - very well acted & directed. I believe it received many awards. I cant remember seeing Appaloosa but I looked it up and it has a fine cast. I'll have to rent it from Netflix.
Where do you live Lola? I live in Florida.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:54:21 AM PST
Hi Gypsy. I'll just watch The Help then instead of reading it. I live in central California. I was born and raised in Stockton and then moved to Delhi when I got married. I enjoy Parkers books. They are full of humour and are easy to read. Great entertainment. His western series has four or five books in it but they only made the one movie though the same characters are in all the books. Have to get to work. TTFN.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 9:02:18 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
Hi Lola: I lived in So Calif (Redondo Bh) most of my life. I moved to FL because I couldnt afford to retire in CA.
I guess it depends on which you prefer more - books or movies for "The Help". If you read the book first you can enjoy both.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 10:10:32 AM PST
I enjoy movies almost as much as I love books but in this case I think I'll just watch the movie as I have about 200 unread books on my kindle and a ton of actual books to read. And I keep getting more. I may have to think about Florida when I retire but then our house will be paid off by then and we have a hot tub and pool to take care of our summer needs. I wouldn't mind warmer weather year around though.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 10:55:34 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
Lola: You are saying that because you are having a cold spell. You may not like our very hot and humid summers here. I hear what you are saying about books to read. I dont care for kindles, I still like to hold a book. But, I have tons of books to read and people keep referring more. I can read the book and then see the movie, but once I see the movie, I dont care about reading the book.

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 9:03:05 AM PST
Janelle C. says:
I would have to say "The Help"

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 11:00:33 AM PST
MommaCat says:
The Green Mile.

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 4:26:23 PM PST
I think the Fellowship of the Rings was a fantastic depiction of that book. Everything that was changed from the book improved the movie. It was downhill after that

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 8:59:30 AM PST
"
To Kill a Mockingbird". I think the movie adaption of the book is perfect.

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 12:44:28 PM PST
carolms says:
Ditto on To Kill a Mockingbird.

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 6:07:44 PM PST
Double Indemnity without a doubt! Actually, the movie is far better than the source novella Double Indemnity.

Despite different writing styles, director Billy Wilder and the great Raymond Chandler somehow managed to seemlessly co-adapt the rather awkwardly-written James M. Cain novella and turned it into not only the quintessential film noir but arguably, one of the all-time great Hollywood movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 9:47:27 PM PST
glendower says:
Selleck may be a "hunk," as you say, but he is simply too old to be doing Jessie Stone. Stone is middle-30's (late 30's, maybe, possibly even very early '40's if you stretch it) - not middle 60's. You're right, they make good made-for-television films. They would not make good features. But, Selleck seems to have bought up the rights to the "Paradise" books, so we'll have the old guy doing those films until..........whenever........

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 11:42:42 PM PST
By nature of being a movie or tv show, reality is at times suspended. In the case of Tom Selleck and the Jesse Stone series I feel that he embodies the character of Jesse Stone regardless of his age. Tom Selleck has been a producer in all of the films and has written or co-written five of the screen plays. From what I understand the Robert B Parker estate still owns the rights to Jesse Stone, Tom Selleck happens to provide money for the making of the movie. Parkers estate has actually hired an author to continue writing the Jesse Stone books. They have hired a different author to continue the Spencer series. In regards to making the "big screen", I don't think either Spencer or Jesse would succeed. The books are easy to read with great quips and repartee. The books are very entertaining and relaxing to read (at least for me). I think that would get lost in translation to big screen as so much more would be required of the stories that their purity would be lost. Big screen = big stars = big money. Just because they are direct to film/tv movies doesn't make them any less of a good story or quality production. I was saddened by the loss of Robert B Parker as his books have been a big part of my life for at least 35 years.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 4:12:41 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
I have read the Paradise books and have seen a few of the movies. As Lola said, they are both entertaining. I have always loved Selleck and could never figure out why he didnt become a big star. I guess the age thing is relative to the reader and watcher. For me, Selleck is Stone. But, for a new reader of the series, he could well be too old for the part. Time marches on. I dont see them changing movie stars now. But, who knows? Selleck may get tired of playing the role. And if the Parker family has hired on someone to continue the books - they may also want a new (young) actor for the role?

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 9:37:01 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 17, 2013 9:37:29 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 9:47:48 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
Fight Club - one of my all time favorite movies. (never read the book).

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 10:32:03 AM PST
A. Stone says:
Got to go with Th Green Mile. Usually movie adaptations disappoint me, but this one lived up to the book in every way. Brilliant performances to top it off :)

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 11:00:43 AM PST
I've yet to see a Stephen King book to not tiranslate well to movie form. Want a great scare, read and then watch "The Shining". I haven't read Kings books in a long time. When I finally saw "The Shining" I was so scared I threw all my King books away. (This was back in the 80's). I would not want to be in that mans dreams. However, to be fair, I have a copy of 11/22/63 waiting to be read.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 11:11:15 AM PST
A. Stone says:
The Green Mile is the only book by Stephen King I've read, but I've heard many of his other works are great. I've seen The Shining - haven't read it, though. I'm a horror movie buff, so it wasn't that terrifying, but there were one or two moments that caught me off guard and caused my heart to skip a beat - I love these moments :)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best Books forum (70 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Worst Book Ever Written? 419 Mar 14, 2015
recently read best book 220 Jun 8, 2014
Christian authors. 0 Jun 8, 2014
The Light Between Oceans, (Stedman) 10 Jun 8, 2014
Best Book Ever 1222 Jun 6, 2014
Poetry 2 May 9, 2014
Looking for suggestions for a book that takes place in a Christmas setting. 1 Apr 30, 2014
Crime Fiction 157 Jan 2, 2014
Best books from the last 10 years 0 Dec 21, 2013
Best pick for a mystery book group 161 Aug 24, 2013
Best book by a new author 41 Aug 21, 2013
Suggest a children book! 1 Aug 21, 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best Books forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  55
Initial post:  Jan 12, 2013
Latest post:  May 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions