Customer Discussions > Best Books forum

One of the best books . . .

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 98 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 20, 2012 8:25:54 AM PDT
willow says:
Elizabeth Berg's, "Talk Before Sleep" and many of her earlier books. But this one , esprcially.
A group of friends helping one of their own from diagnosis to end of life. They have many adventures and much pain and happiness as they savor what still is and what will end.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 1:03:08 PM PDT
DB says:
I agree. This novel has it all...characters are so believable, environmental issues are conveyed with clarity, there is a strong sense of place, lots of plot twists and a perfect ending! Can't wait to read "San Miguel"!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 5:10:10 PM PDT
Pegasus says:
YES! and anything by Nevada Barr

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 5:43:09 PM PDT
Pegasus says:
I love Joseph Kanon, Joseph T. Klempner, Cormac McCarthy, Ian McEwan, Lisa See....and on and on. Also love "Crazy for the Storm"by Norman Ollestad - a true story.

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 7:22:20 AM PDT
B. Witt says:
Child of the Mountains! This is a really good, story of a girl growing up in the hills of West Virginia. The comparisons to Anne of Green Gables are often funny! The girl, Lydia, has things to face that are hard, but she is true to her belief in her momma. The dialect and sayings were a delight.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 4:00:58 PM PDT
Kathy Edens says:
Are we talking about fiction? If so, my picks would be Gone with the Wind and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I think they will be classics long after some of the newer ones (Hunger Games, Harry Potter etc) are completely forgotten. JMHO.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 12:30:42 PM PDT
I recently started Donna Leon,s VENICE mysteries & can't stop. Am reading them in order, which allows me to see interesting development of ongoing characters. Love Guido AND his family!

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 8:13:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2012 8:15:40 AM PDT
Carol says:
Richard Paul Evans books, inspirational. The Christmas Box, The Christmas Box Miracle, The Christmas List, Sunflower, etc. are some that you can't put down.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 9:14:25 PM PDT
L. Wiley says, Crime and Punishment has always been my favorite book. I also like
Gail Godwin, T.C. Boyle, Victor Hugo, Henning Mankell, and Carlos Vaun Zafroun.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 6:23:41 AM PST
Z. Michael says:
This discussion is great, always looking for something new and surprising. I guess I am a complete book lovin fool!
Across the genres I go
Pillars of the earth - awesome and no doubt, Folliett is an incredible writer
I loved State of Wonder by Anne Patchett - great read
Hunger Games - yep loved them too!
Read all of Larsson's Girl with Golden Tattoo series - excellent
Scary stuff loved..
Ghost Story - T.R. Freeman, Classic old fashioned ghost story
The Woman in Black - Susan Hill, another excellent scary tale
Try little known Rod Redux if you like the scary, first one I read was House of Dead Trees and just kept going with all of his books ( I had never heard of him)
One of my very favorite of favorites is Joe Abercrombie, even better than George RR Martin, although I do love him
Abercrombie writes such awesome characters, I am completely hooked on him. These books are in the Science fiction genre and maybe would appeal more to men than women, but what can I say I am a woman and I LOVE The Bloody Nine and Glotka, two of the most interesting people I have ever come to know. I can't reccomend Abercrombies books enough, just maybe not for everyone. Start with The First Law series - The Blade Itself, Before they were Hanged and Last Argument of Kings, then I read Best Served Cold, Heroes (just finished) can't wait for Red Country ( Nov.20th)If you like big strong men with real depth of character, you will love Abercrombie!

Also reading The Twelve - Justin Cronin, second in a three book series that began with The Passage, its going quickly and no dissapointment!

Man I am across the board on my love of books, I threw in Proof of Heaven last week, read it in two days...very interesting

I always mix in some old classic's just read Tess of the Durberville's - wonderful, wonderful.

Need to get back to Folliett soon and will check out the recommedation of Cutting the Stone.

I've left out a bunch, so many wonderful writers and so many wonderful stories, for me reading is transportation, traveling to worlds alien to my own and being right there. I just hope to be traveling forever!

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 2:11:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 2:14:06 PM PST
I love time travler novels! In fact i am writing one right now. It will probably take me a year to finish it!

My very favorite book , after thing about it more , would have to be The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, and the follow up book The Angles Game! Both are historical thrillers about forgotton books. The books are poetic, thrillers with a love story you won't forget. Their pure magic, there is no other way to describe these novels.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 2:55:13 PM PST
B. Powers says:
Has anyone read the Dragon Kin Series by G. A. Aiken? I wouldn't call them great literature but they are some of the silliest, funniest series of books I've ever read. By the time I got to the 3rd book in the series, I was laughing out loud...and I don't do that often when reading. One caveat, the series is for adults not young adults. There are some pretty graphic scenes that I wouldn't want my granddaughter to read.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 3:25:13 PM PST
newdaze says:
having "retired "recently,1 1/2 years, I can relate to the zen observations, and ribald humor, of Jim Harrison's, The English Major,...a most excellent read. subtle and poignant .

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:29:25 PM PST
B. Powers says:
Linda, have you read Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series? If you love time travel, you'll love this series. I wish you luck with your book.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 4:40:14 AM PST
Deb Orndorff says:
The Wretched of Muirwood by Jeff Wheeler. A trilogy and far better than Hunger Games in my opinion. Think it would make a great movie and it has a moral message also.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:58:33 AM PST
If you like the shadow of the wind then you will also like Corelli's Mandolin.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 2:02:09 PM PST
worth checking out, ty.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 4:24:31 AM PST
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: Book 1 of the Millennium Trilogy (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard)
Just finished the trilogy loved all three books

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 8:09:12 PM PST
Nicolette says:
Absolutely agree, Shadow of the Wind was awesome as was the 2nd book, the Angels Game! I have only convinced one other person to read these. Great reads, couldn't put them down until I finished.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:49:19 AM PST
Julie says:
What about these amazing books that I'm not finding on the list?!

SikkanderSikander Consistently a top rated historical fiction novel

Comeback Love Comeback Love: A Novel - Best romance of the year for mature adults (not sex, romance!)

Man In the Blue Moon - on Publisher's Weekly's list of best 10 books: Man in the Blue Moon

Let's Hear it For Almigal Let's Hear It For Almigal - Being different's never been cuter or more fun for kids!

Rebels By Accident Rebels by Accident - YA novel that is being picked up by schools all over US

Trade Secrets Trade Secrets - A Kirkus fave - 50 Shades of Gray meets the financial world

Phoenix Phoenix - best firefighter book EVER!

The Sausage Maker's Daughters - The Sausage Maker's Daughters: A Novel - best bed scene combined with murder ever!

Bootlicker Bootlicker - Best political intrigue before the Patreaus scandal:-)

Widow's Might - Widow's Might: A Liv Bergen Mystery - Chosen one of the best books of the year by indie bookstore owners!

2:32 a.m.2:32 a.m. (The Djinn Master's Legacy) - Fave YA novel involving no supernatural, vampires, etc.

The Uncommon Thread The Uncommon Thread - Collection of stories that will make you glad you're alive, by a radiation oncologist!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:06:25 PM PST
R. barta says:
I'm sure you mean When the killing's done.I have my autographed copy as should you because he tours with every new release and will sign his books,new and old.Watch for events,the next I know of this time 2013 for Stories II.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 3:01:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 3:12:41 PM PST
The Boy in the Suit Case was a fast-paced thriller with psychological depth, and was
one of the best crime novels I have read in a long time.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 5:17:02 PM PST
Patti says:
I & my husband think all of mankind should read "Out of the Ice" a true story during the early days of the cold war - - can't believe the author lived to tell this story!!!!!
We both agree also that "Coulters' Run" is another must read about the first white men intruding on the Indian Nations of the Three Forks area!!!!!!

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 5:27:30 PM PST
Risha Warren says:
She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb and The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb by far the best two books I have ever read.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 3:57:04 PM PST
J. Greene says:
One of the most compelling books I've ever read is "Roots". It sparked a surge in people to find out who they were and where they came from. It was spellbinding!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best Books forum (70 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Worst Book Ever Written? 417 Jan 19, 2015
recently read best book 220 Jun 8, 2014
Christian authors. 0 Jun 8, 2014
The Light Between Oceans, (Stedman) 10 Jun 8, 2014
Best Book Ever 1222 Jun 6, 2014
Poetry 2 May 9, 2014
Looking for suggestions for a book that takes place in a Christmas setting. 1 Apr 30, 2014
Crime Fiction 157 Jan 2, 2014
Best books from the last 10 years 0 Dec 21, 2013
Best pick for a mystery book group 161 Aug 24, 2013
Best book by a new author 41 Aug 21, 2013
Suggest a children book! 1 Aug 21, 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best Books forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  98
Initial post:  Jun 26, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions