Customer Discussions > Best Books forum

Best book you ever got as a gift?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2012 11:14:49 AM PST
Mari Malcolm says:
What's the best book anyone ever gave you as a gift--and why did you love getting it?

In my living room bookshelves, I still have all the picture books my librarian aunt gave me when I was a kid--autographed by the author and often the illustrator, with a special note from my aunt and uncle about why they thought I would love the story. It was one of their traditions to give each of us kids a beautiful book at Christmas. It made us feel very special, and we probably read each of them more than a hundred times!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 1:11:44 PM PST
In 2010, I had just undergone surgery for a severely broken ankle and was in the hospital. The owners of a small independent bookstore visited me in the hospital and brought with the a copy of Audrey Niffengger's then-new novel, Her Fearful Symmetry. I had always professed to dislike stories that have any fantasy within them. But this book changed my mind. The storyline held me from the first to the last paragraph. After I finished reading the book, I wanted to know more about the ending. It was a wonderful gift that I shall not forget.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 5:39:17 AM PST
Tyler says:
I got the first Harry Potter Book for Christmas ~10 years ago.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 8:00:36 AM PST
Diane says:
On my eighth birthday my mother's only single friend Ruthy gave me the original version of "Heidi". It was the first non-Golden book I had ever received. I wasn't a very good reader at the time. We had just moved from Texas to Maryland where I knew no one. We lived in a rental house where there was a very steep hill in the back yard, so steep that my father couldn't mow it. I very happily spent that summer at the top of the hill in the long grass reading the very challenging 1880's version of "Heidi". Nobody bothered me and I spent hours at a time on the top of that hill pretending I was in Switzerland and weaving mats out of the grass. By the end of the summer I had finished the book, When I went to my new school they gave me a standardized reading test. When the results came back I found out that I had gone from reading at a second grade level in Texas to a ninth grade level in Maryland. (I really hated the "Dick and Jane" books they made us read in Texas.) After reading "Heidi" I was well and truly launched as an avid and lifelong reader.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:22:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 2:23:45 PM PST
The Other Side of Midnight by Sidney Sheldon along with a box of my favorite chocolates by my then husband. We were broke and had agreed to spend nothing or almost next to nothing for presents to ourselves. It wasn't an expensive present but it was an author I liked and chocolates, showing great thought and love. What could be better?

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 3:32:26 PM PST
Hedge says:
I was 7 years old and my grandmother who really had no money to spend on presents sent me "Beautfiul Joe" for my birthday. It was written by Marshall Saunders and dedicated to George Thorndike Angell who was the president of the American Humane Education Society and the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. The narrator was a dog who had been cruelly abused and rescued by a loving family. The author wrote in the preface to the book Joe was a real dog, the family in the book had real counterparts and nearly all of the incidents in the book were based on fact. I still own the book and while I won't divulge my age, I am way beyond being eligible for Medicare!

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:00:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 8:02:46 AM PST
The Book Of Awakening by Mark Nepo.I was in the hospital and quite ill. My neighbor brought this book to me when I came home. It is one I refer to all the time and have suggested it to many others.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best Books forum (70 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
recently read best book 220 Jun 8, 2014
Christian authors. 0 Jun 8, 2014
The Light Between Oceans, (Stedman) 10 Jun 8, 2014
Best Book Ever 1222 Jun 6, 2014
Poetry 2 May 9, 2014
Looking for suggestions for a book that takes place in a Christmas setting. 1 Apr 30, 2014
Crime Fiction 157 Jan 2, 2014
Best books from the last 10 years 0 Dec 21, 2013
Best pick for a mystery book group 161 Aug 24, 2013
Best book by a new author 41 Aug 21, 2013
Suggest a children book! 1 Aug 21, 2013
Treasure by Les Pendleton 0 Aug 20, 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best Books forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 30, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions