Customer Discussions > Best Books forum

Books with guts!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-66 of 66 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 4:33:34 PM PST
pbs17 says:
Most definitely. A very interesting take on time travel.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 4:38:09 PM PST
pbs17 says:
I agree with you. East of Eden is a great read. If you like that book, you will love "Angle of Repose" by Wallace Stegner and his "Crossing to Safety."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 1:57:38 AM PST
C. Cleal says:
The best, and well translated to TV with Kenneth Branagh!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 2:43:02 AM PST
first class henning makell up there with the best.
gag bali

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 2:44:43 AM PST
jo nesbo great better than the two auther books which are a load of crap

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 2:46:49 AM PST
james patterson computor written books he churns them out
jo nesbo first diversion patterson bottom of the league

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 5:39:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2012 5:39:51 PM PST
WannaRead says:
Gutsiest book I've read..The Terror by Dan Simmons. You will either love it (I did) or hate it.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 5:45:19 AM PST
In this catagory, It would have to be "No Easy Day" really shows how our Seal Teams
in the U.S. Navy have more guts then anything I have ever read. A must read. I'am
not a military books reader, but, I had to know their side of the story and what they
do for us everyday.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 6:47:17 AM PST
Nibaur says:
It was worth the read.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 7:08:29 AM PST
Fiction:
Spy Who Came in from the Cold basically said that there is little difference between "East and West" , other than in name and choice of flag patterns. And it did do so during the height of the Cold War--incredibly gutsy! Although John LeCarre is British, it was still risky to criticize his nation's intelligence gathering methodology--considering what happened to the careers of merely 'suspected' American dissidents and Communist sympathisers during the MacCarthy Hearings on the other side of 'The Pond' (less than a decade before LeCarre's novel was published).

Non-fiction:
The Souls of Black Folk was written in the early 1900s--well before The Civil Rights Movement. With no federal anti-lynching law protection and widespread tollerance of (and in some regions, open symthatphy for) the KKK, it took almost a death wish to openly and strongly advocate, among other things, a college education for blacks and for desegregation across the boards. The book's liberation ideology, it can be strongly argued, helped establish the Niagara Movement two years later (which eventually became the NAACP by the end of the decade).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 7:21:34 AM PST
L. Barrell says:
William Faulkner is a favorite of mine but I have to be in the right mood in order to read him. Stream of consciousness writing has always been a challenge for me, but so rewarding.
Just finished Gone Girl - actually listened to it on audio and enjoyed it a lot.
Do you like John Irving's or Phillip Roth's work? Just curious. Faves if min.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 7:29:13 AM PST
L. Barrell says:
Amen. What's up with the best sellers? So many really good writers re bypassed and a lot of less than stellar writing seems to get ahead. Life ain't fair I guess. Van Gogh sold only one painting when he was alive and that was to his brother. His Sunflowers auctioned at Sotheby's or Christies for 63 million plus several years ago. Go figure.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 7:30:16 AM PST
L. Barrell says:
Love anything by John Irving. What is title of his newest?

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 9:37:16 AM PST
pat'spix says:
I went on amazon, of course. His latest is In One Person. Mixed reviews. Loved Cider House Rules, A Prayer for Owen Meany, Hotel New Hampshire, The World According to Garp. These seem to me to be the Best of Irving.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 7:33:01 PM PST
I agree with this 100%. After reading The Terror I decided to try a couple of his earlier novels. So far I've read Song of Kali (I think that was his first novel) and Carrion Comfort. I thoroughly enjoyed both of them, like The Terror, they are great to sink your teeth into. I just bought Children of The Night. Based on my reading experience with his other three books, I'm looking forward to it.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 5:55:47 AM PST
A. Diamond says:
Adrian the librarian says:
Here are 5 recent recommendations. Very different types of books!
Dancing on Broken Glass
Daniel Silva (espionage books)
The Lost Wife
The Last Van Gogh
Citizens of London(nonfiction)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best Books forum (70 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
recently read best book 220 Jun 8, 2014
Christian authors. 0 Jun 8, 2014
The Light Between Oceans, (Stedman) 10 Jun 8, 2014
Best Book Ever 1222 Jun 6, 2014
Poetry 2 May 9, 2014
Looking for suggestions for a book that takes place in a Christmas setting. 1 Apr 30, 2014
Crime Fiction 157 Jan 2, 2014
Best books from the last 10 years 0 Dec 21, 2013
Best pick for a mystery book group 161 Aug 24, 2013
Best book by a new author 41 Aug 21, 2013
Suggest a children book! 1 Aug 21, 2013
Treasure by Les Pendleton 0 Aug 20, 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best Books forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  66
Initial post:  Jul 5, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions