Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 221 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:30:30 AM PST
Sunshine says:
You are welcomed. Enjoy the book. Have you read "Killing Time"
a new mystery series?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:04:36 PM PST
B. McGehee says:
Not yet. I have added to my long list of books I want to read.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 4:46:39 PM PST
Ben Senturia says:
I am looking for good historical fiction or novels which allow me to learn about a particular subject area as a background to the story. I would appreciate any suggestions. Ben

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 5:02:22 PM PST
B. McGehee says:
Start with Wolf Haii, by Hilary Mantel. The time period of Henry VIII and Thomas Cromwell. Excellent. Try books by Alison Wair.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 5:58:54 AM PST
Garrett Bell says:
A Nobody in a Somebody World is awesome and very hard to put down! I know there are more stories and I wish she could elaborate and the stories she wrote. When this book comes out in a couple of weeks, everyone should read it. I've pre-ordered 4 already. I am no relation, just able to get an advanced copy.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 6:12:36 AM PST
Garrett Bell says:
A Nobody in a Somebody World is awesome and very hard to put down! I know there are more stories and I wish she could elaborate and the stories she wrote. When this book comes out in a couple of weeks, everyone should read it. I've pre-ordered 4 already. I am no relation, just able to get an advanced copy.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 11:32:45 AM PST
boleo says:
My favorite Book is TIME AND AGAIN by Finney. it flows smoothly with lots of twists and turns. (Incedentaly my favorite movie is SOMEWHERE IN TIME). I don't enjoy time travel when it is the only gimmic and totally about the trip and not progressing in a story. I enjoy TIME AND AGAIN because the details about life in another time so different from ours but the main sdtory progresses with charactor development and a strong plot. I'm rereading it now to remember the things that make it so special.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 11:36:43 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
Boleo, thanks for the referral of Time and Again. I looked it up and it looks fascinating. I'm especially interested if they now may make a movie out of it. I sure would have liked to see Redford in the role. But, he's way too old now. Its on my "to read" list.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 12:09:53 PM PST
Another author I like is Anita Shreve. She has written A Pilot's Wife, Where or When, The Weight of Water, Fortune's Rocks, Strange Fits of Passion, Eden Close, Resistance, The Last Time They Met and many others. They are quick and easy reads with very interesting plots. I wish she would write some new ones!

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 2:47:42 PM PST
BOXERSON says:
William Young has a new book out. At least it is new to me. After reading The Shack and the way it touched my heart. I can not wait to read his new book. There is a God whomever we want Him to be He is our God.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 3:10:54 PM PST
i was so surprised to see your best book! A lot of people do not want to read such a long book. I love long books. This is my all time favorite. I read it about 20 years ago. It compares well with the likes Of Winds of
War and War and Rememberance. Do you know the back story about Ladies of the Club author? would like to hear of other books you love!

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 8:12:49 PM PST
I just finished reading Ready Player One and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 6:41:59 PM PST
Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese. Phenomenal.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 8:52:32 PM PST
Cutting for Stone, definitely my favorite book in the past few years. Wonderful!

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 6:11:00 AM PST
Sweet Tooth Ian McEwan's latest novel about young women recent graduate of Cambridge joins the British intelligence service to attain operative status and find herself entangled in a love affair with the subject of her spying. The book has McEwan's usual unusal twists and turns. An added plus is his the realistic recreation of the cold war atmosphere surrounding life in the 1970s and the naivete of the liberal cultural.

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 4:47:36 PM PST
p. says:
"HOME WHEN THE STREETLIGHTS COME ON" by Hank Leo, Jr.
Great read from a new author, from the heart warm, uplifting, at times down-right hysterical! Real life stories from a small town in central NY. Hank's book has been selling out in local bookstores and is making its way around the country after many are recommending it to family and friends everywhere!
I look forward to his next!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 4:58:32 PM PST
B. McGehee says:
Pauline I tried the title @ my county Library Knox County Public, Knoxville , Tennessee and Amazon, zero at both places.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 5:05:10 PM PST
B. McGehee says:
I went back to Amazon and found by the author's name and ordered it. Thanks I will add to my present stack of 15 bks I have to read.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 5:32:01 PM PST
p. says:
McGhee...you will enjoy! Let me know what you think, and post a review, share it! This is a book that will touch many, and everyone from 19-90 in a different way. Happy reading :)

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 5:08:15 PM PST
Randy says:
Armor by John Steakley

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 5:14:47 PM PST
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. Non-Fiction.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2013 5:17:50 PM PST
Hurry up and read the second book in the series! It's fantastic!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 8:41:05 AM PST
Mary says:
I loved The Lacuna too. I was struck by Kingsolvers writing - one amazing metaphor after another. I listened to it on audio, it's read by Barbara Kingsolver, and her voice is totally mesmerizing. While the story was deep, in the end, it boils down to chatter, mindless journalism, beginning with the howlers in the first chapter. A brilliant piece of work.

Posted on Feb 3, 2013 10:42:00 AM PST
LJM VO says:
What is The Lacuna about?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2013 11:58:04 AM PST
Jean says:
Follett is my favorite author. Trouble is I'm caught up and have no more books of his to read till the next one comes out.
Mary
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best Books forum (70 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Worst Book Ever Written? 419 13 days ago
recently read best book 220 Jun 8, 2014
Christian authors. 0 Jun 8, 2014
The Light Between Oceans, (Stedman) 10 Jun 8, 2014
Best Book Ever 1222 Jun 6, 2014
Poetry 2 May 9, 2014
Looking for suggestions for a book that takes place in a Christmas setting. 1 Apr 30, 2014
Crime Fiction 157 Jan 2, 2014
Best books from the last 10 years 0 Dec 21, 2013
Best pick for a mystery book group 161 Aug 24, 2013
Best book by a new author 41 Aug 21, 2013
Suggest a children book! 1 Aug 21, 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best Books forum
Participants:  94
Total posts:  221
Initial post:  Dec 27, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 8, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions