Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Ed Sheeran egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on Tikes
Customer Discussions > Best Books forum

Worst Book Ever Written?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 423 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:06:10 PM PST
BarbaraJean says:
I, too, wondered at who would buy this book. Just reading the outline turned me off and once I saw the author interviewed on television--dear God.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:41:14 PM PST
Read Hayak says:
The worst book ever written was The Celestine Prophesy (1995).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 11:17:41 AM PST
E. Boddy says:
I actually read this book abd intend to read another of his books. I thiught IQ84 was way too long but the plot was amazing. Would make a great movie.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 11:59:36 AM PST
D. J. says:
The worst ever written was written by Ayn Rand but I can't decide if it was "Atlas Shrugged" , "The Fountainhead" or "Anthem".. I had been told she was great, but she is superficial, selfish and frankly a horrible writer. If her books didn't appeal so strongly to right wingers, they would have disappeared years ago.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 12:41:24 PM PST
gypsyartist says:
I too enjoyed Ayn Rand - but, I read the books when I was in my early 20's - a long time ago. I may look at them differently now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 1:02:30 PM PST
D. Yarbrough says:
Very true!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 1:30:17 PM PST
D. Yarbrough says:
I agree, we have really enjoyed reading the discussions and their disclosures of their likes and dislikes of books. When you finish a book and wonder, why on earth did I think this book would ever improve, it was clearly a piece of crap from the beginning! On the other hand, sometimes it takes some authors awhile to draw you into the best book you've ever read. Keep those comments coming, good, bad, or indifferent. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it's what makes this world more interesting!

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 2:11:07 PM PST
gypsyartist says:
Yes. So true. When judging a book you also have to look at the age of the reader, their personality and what types of things interest them. But, I do believe there are some books out there that are just dogs. And I must say - some of these most notorious writers, like Patterson and Woods are resting on their past writing laurels. I'm hoping that if the readers stop buying them, the authors will get the hint. We "arent buying into" this junk.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 6:34:12 PM PST
L. Boyles says:
I agree with Marilyn about the last ten or so of Wood's books, but I thought 'Chiefs' was wonderful. It was made into a miniseries which was also very good.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 8:35:53 PM PST
scarlett says:
just about anything by hubert selby, jr. gets my vote for worst book ever, but "last exit to brooklyn was the prize winner of gark for me. i have avoided 50 shades of grey due to the reactions of people i admire, they all seem to agree with these comments. i won't waste my time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:59:34 PM PST
Emma Darling says:
I know I've started and finished many bad books but "The God of Small Things" sticks in my mind as the one book I wish I'd never read too. The author squandered her writing talent on a story and characters that were utterly unlikable and irredeemable. I felt disturbed and dirty after reading it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 9:59:51 PM PST
Dian Reader says:
I agree with all comments about Midnight in The Garden of Good And Evil. It was boring. I bought it years ago, read 1st 20-40 pages and have never read any more. So unexciting. Euginia Price's "Savannah" was 100 times better, it had lots more history on Savannah. Writers are becoming desperate and want-a-bes' that has a famous name have books written, put their names on them to make money. Most of these are awful and filled with facts most of us already read in the news etc.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 4:36:18 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
RE: 50 Shades of Gray - my friend put her name for it from Library. Her name was 250th on the list! haha...By the time it got to 25 - she had heard so many bad reviews about it she yanked her name off the list. I have to admit, I bought the trilogy and then was stuck with it. I read all 3 hoping it would get better, but it only got worse. The sex was mediocre and the dialogue was even worse. Ya gotta wonder how they will make a movie out of this drivel.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:08:42 AM PST
gree says:
What is so frustrating about Woods and Patterson is that every now and then there is a good read slipped into the midst of the long line of forgettables. Chiefs was Woods' best; Will Lee is his most interesting character, but he is in love with his Stone Barrington character. And we do not need to be told how to fly a plane--it's probably not found on most "bucket lists."

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 7:14:56 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
In so many of those books now they put in what I call "filler"....they go on and on about things that are so unimportant to the storyline. When I start reading, I'm thinking "this was just put in here to make the book look bigger to justify the price"....

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 7:39:44 AM PST
Thanks to everybody who names the book when replying to another post!

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 8:56:09 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
Yes. Either name the book or the name of person you are replying to.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 9:10:02 AM PST
Worst and most expensive book ever! A Casual Vacancy

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 9:11:39 AM PST
Gone Girl. The characters were so mean-spirited I didn't care if they all died. Yuck!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 10:16:35 AM PST
Mike D says:
How do you find out about these books before buying them? Go to the library. If you buy thier junk they will keep putting it out!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 10:37:25 AM PST
Mike D says:
I kind of agree with this. Atlas Shrugged was an inspiriation to me when I was younger but I just finished reading it again it was different. I still liked it but it did not have the impact on me that it did when I was younger. Ayn Rand is still a genius and a visionary.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 11:16:13 AM PST
gree says:
Mike D: I don't buy them when they come out. I borrow them or wait until they are in used book stores for a couple of bucks. I can't afford to buy any book when it first comes out hardback or Kindle version. I'm not the one who complained of spending money on expensive books--what I have wasted is my precious time on occasion.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 11:37:23 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
I rent books from library and I buy big when they have a library sale. I am familiar with some authors but I like to find new authors at used book sales. I agree about wasting time. I hate to give up on a book - but if I finish it then Im angry at my waste of time.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 2:33:31 PM PST
Karen B says:
Stephen Kings Dark Tower series - I had to try to force my way through the first book for a book club...couldn't do it

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 3:13:25 PM PST
L. Young says:
One of the finest books I've ever read.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best Books forum (71 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Dramatic love book 0 26 days ago
recently read best book 221 Aug 20, 2015
Worst Book Ever Written? 422 Jul 12, 2015
Best book by a new author 42 Jun 15, 2015
Christian authors. 0 Jun 8, 2014
The Light Between Oceans, (Stedman) 10 Jun 8, 2014
Best Book Ever 1222 Jun 6, 2014
Poetry 2 May 9, 2014
Looking for suggestions for a book that takes place in a Christmas setting. 1 Apr 30, 2014
Crime Fiction 157 Jan 2, 2014
Best books from the last 10 years 0 Dec 21, 2013
Best pick for a mystery book group 161 Aug 24, 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best Books forum
Participants:  221
Total posts:  423
Initial post:  Oct 31, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 12, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions