Customer Discussions > Best Books forum

Worst Book Ever Written?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 415 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 3:30:51 PM PST
Bobby says:
L young...and which fine book would that be?? Could you please name the book you are commenting on? Apparently, you do not read the posts that request that....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 5:27:02 PM PST
Pino says:
I agree. I was offended at how bad the writing was in 50 Shades of Grey. I didn't even have the patience to flip to the sex scenes. Ladies, if you want erotica, there's good stuff out there - don't encourage this kind of appalling writing. :)

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 2:35:49 PM PST
Poet says:
It is a difficult question. However, without offending anyone I would say that the Harry Potter series were the worst books ever written because of the damage they caused mankind in regard to messages. Now youth is dreaming of becoming a vain magician instead of trying to find out what their real talents are.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 3:28:12 PM PST
Worst book HAS to be The Story Of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewsky. It started out okay for a first-time author, but the ending was horrible! Everyone dies or goes to a mental hospital - even the poor puppies! This was a dreadful book. Oprah put it on her book list, so she has absolutely no credibility with me. I doubt that she read this mess of a book!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 4:19:59 PM PST
gypsyartist says:
I feel differently about the Potter books. I think the series got many kids reading and that is not a bad thing. I know some dont like the subject matter, maybe because of religion. But, I think kids in the age group that first start reading are old enough to know its fantasy. The only problem I see now is that since the movies started coming out - many younger kids are not reading the books - only seeing the movies. I dont think its wrong for children to get in tune with their creative sides.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 4:40:36 PM PST
abbie breun says:
The Road- utterly depressing

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:17:51 PM PST
I read this book shortly after it was released. This book was so bad, far out it felt like the author was "mentally challenged" Ridiculous, idiotic junk. And then they made a movie out of it!

Pass on this, there is so much good literature out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:20:09 PM PST
Stinker is spot on! Ridiculous, and never ending. Then they made a move out of it.

Pass on this time waster.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 8:02:17 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 4, 2013 5:04:37 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:57:20 AM PST
the casual vacancy is not a potter book. It is the most boring bo9o9ki ever about a mall english town with sad andhorrible people who are all mean to every one. Not Fonda this one

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:07:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 10:09:00 AM PST
This is not a potter book. J.K. Rowling wrote A Casual Vacancy and failed to write an interesting or enlightening book about a town council in a small british town. There are not likable people or teen-agers in this book, and aside from being incredibly boring, it's characters were mean and vicious to each other. A girl named"Kristin Weedon"? Come on. She was the laughingstock of the school and it was so sad to read about her. Not Fonda this book

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:34:33 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
I have not read it but a few said it was ok. Rowlings may decide to go back to her magic themed books. All of her fans would be ecstatic! They hoped she would come up with something new with Harry's kids.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 2:45:39 AM PST
One of the worst books I ever read was "The Klone and I" by Danielle Steel. It was a total waste of time. She must have written it to get some money to redecorate her house.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 4:21:49 AM PST
sydneyc says:
Worst book read this year: "Count down to Jihad" so many basic factual errors!!
Posted by Sydney C

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 4:32:21 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
I gave up on Danielle Steel many years ago. Our library just had a big book sale for $ 1 a hardback and we couldnt even give her books away!

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 5:59:57 AM PST
Y. Stewart says:
Fifty Shades of Grey. I read 2/3rds of the first book and threw it across the room. Boring, repetitive, badly written, cliched rubbish. Luckily it was given to me, so I didn't part with my hard earned money.
The Da Vinci Code was rubbish as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:32:54 AM PST
I m with you all the way!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:35:07 AM PST
Try Judith Lucy: Drink Smoke Pass Out ! there are also some wonderful 50 Shades parodies.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 7:43:04 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
Lucy sounds like fun. I'll look for it in the library. I actually laughed at some of the scenes in Shades of Gray they were so ridiculous. I wonder if they will really make a movie out of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 10:39:06 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
Judith Lucy: I just had ref desk look for this for me because I couldnt find it on the Library computer. She couldnt find it either. Is it a new book?

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 2:09:20 PM PST
gree says:
I agree that Da Vinci Code was a total bore. Danielle Steele is so repetetive, her characters are always the most beautiful people in the world, and every book is the same. She writes a few words, repeats; writes a few words, repeats; writes a few words, repeats. I tried a couple only because they were given to me--never again.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 2:27:02 PM PST
THE HOUR I FIRST BELIEVED...the MOST depressing Book EVER ! too long . horrible

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 8:01:52 PM PST
CA Mere says:
War Brides has to be one of the most poorly written books ever. I didn't go beyond the second chapter. The editing, if any, must have been done by a novice. I did not get beyond the second chapter.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 1:00:51 AM PST
Annie says:
Just shows you how we differ so much with our likes and dislikes. The God of Small Things!!! One of my favourite books. There are a few I have flung against the wall of late. One of them being The Garlic Ballads. So depressing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 1:05:47 AM PST
Annie says:
Hear hear!! And all that hype!!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best Books forum (70 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
recently read best book 220 Jun 8, 2014
Christian authors. 0 Jun 8, 2014
The Light Between Oceans, (Stedman) 10 Jun 8, 2014
Best Book Ever 1222 Jun 6, 2014
Poetry 2 May 9, 2014
Looking for suggestions for a book that takes place in a Christmas setting. 1 Apr 30, 2014
Crime Fiction 157 Jan 2, 2014
Best books from the last 10 years 0 Dec 21, 2013
Best pick for a mystery book group 161 Aug 24, 2013
Best book by a new author 41 Aug 21, 2013
Suggest a children book! 1 Aug 21, 2013
Treasure by Les Pendleton 0 Aug 20, 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best Books forum
Participants:  218
Total posts:  415
Initial post:  Oct 31, 2012
Latest post:  May 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions