Customer Discussions > Best Books forum

Jack Reacher, Lee Child and Tom Cruise

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 8, 2013 4:23:28 PM PST
I really don't have much more to say regarding the issue of Jack Reacher, Lee Child or Tom Cruise but I do feel that there should be a separate discussion started so those people looking for Good Crime Fiction recommendations won't get sidetracked by a discussion going nowhere. What's done is done and it is what it is, but feel free to use this thread for any more comments to be had.

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 9:02:33 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
Hi Lola: Im not sure the Reacher readers will ever get over Tom Cruise as Reacher. But, it wont stop me from reading the books. The Cruise movie was good entertainment -- it just wasnt Jack. Done! lol...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013 9:12:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2013 9:19:29 AM PST
Hi Gypsy. Good to hear from you. You are right, many people won't get over it so I thought this would be the best way to avoid disruptions in the flow of book recommendations. I hope it catches on. I'll still read the books as well. I agree the movie was entertaining but not true to the character. If I hadn't read the book I might have liked the movie better but then again I might not have gone to see the movie because I usually avoid Tom Cruise movies. Keep on reading.

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 10:52:07 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
I am very happy to have found this forum. It works better for me than a book club. With a book of the month club, you must all read the same book. Sometimes, I do not want to read that book. haha...On this forum we discuss many books. I already have a long list of good book referrals from here. I am now just finishing one that I could not put down "Defending Jacob" (altho I will not recommend it until I finish). I am afraid I may not like the ending.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013 11:55:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2013 11:59:46 AM PST
I agree about these forums being a good place to discuss a book but it being an "unscheduled" and "unstructured" book club. I have received many great ideas about forming a book club and many thanks to all who have given input. The thing I noticed most about being in an actual face to face club is that it was pretty much all social. If a thread is started about one particular book with people posting their comments and opinions then I think the meaning of "book club" is met. And with the posts social contact can still be met. I appreciate honest opinions even if they vary from mine. An opposing opinion presented in a friendly and polite way is effective in a way that rudeness is not. Happy reading to all, and to all a long night (of reading because you can't put the book down). LOL.

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 6:27:36 AM PST
charmin says:
whoever casted Tom Cruise made a terrible mistake.

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 6:42:46 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
Charmin: No one cast TC as Reacher. TC bought the rights to the Reacher books from Lee Child. I'm sure for a hefty sum and one he could not refuse. Child said that he admires TC as an actor and was sure he would do well by Reacher. (money talks)...

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 12:07:14 PM PST
Zinnia says:
It gives one a sense of how TC view himself, doesn't it? Yes, a creditable actor, but NO . . . no Jack Reacher.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 1:09:06 PM PST
gypsyartist says:
Not only height was an issue here. Also age. Maybe TC thought he could remain 36 yrs old forever? An actor's dream, to remain young forever. Most of the people that saw the movie and liked it, had never read the books. Their loss.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 2:58:23 PM PST
Zinnia says:
As "acting" per se is recreating yourself in the image of another, perhaps that's where the hookie is. Since TC now owns the rights, perhaps he has imagineered himself a whole new self. THAT being said, were I the one casting Jack Reacher, whom I have always fantasized as someone stepping onstage out of a shadow, it would not have been the new owner of his fictional soul. Those who don't read the books as doomed to the echo of a closed movie theatre.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 3:55:17 PM PST
gypsyartist says:
I would imagine that most people that saw the movie without reading the book are very satisfied with the movie and will have no desire to read the books. And I say that as an avid reader (of all Reacher books) & big movie-goer. I remember thinking how Harry Potter was so wonderful as it got so many kids reading. And now that all the movies are out - the younger kids only want to watch the movies.
There has been a huge selection of would-be-Reachers from the book fans. I myself felt they should have cast an unknown that could have been molded into Jack. (preferably one that was big & tall, mid-30's with blonde hair and blue eyes!!) Could that be any more far removed from TC? haha

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 4:10:16 PM PST
Well said!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 4:25:54 PM PST
Zinnia says:
Hard to get kids to be readers if the parents don't start them out from little ones with the "bedtime story" and make it fun and exciting so they look forward to it.
As for a blonde/blue eyed Jack, isn't it funny . . . I have always pictured him as the dark, brooding type and not the scrubbed Robert Redford blonde. I agree with you 100% about having found some wonderful new guy with all the prerequisite attributes and just turning him into Reacher. In later years he could moan about being type-cast, but by then he would have earned a pot full of gold to asuage his tears.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 4:41:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2013 4:43:34 PM PST
Jack should be be big and tall who can hide in the shadows yet make his presence known when needed. I seem to think Jack is a bit older. Isn't he a West Point graduate? If so add 2-4 yrs to his age. So 18 + 4 is 22. Add 13 for his service record makes him 35 and add another 13 years for the time he has been out of the service, this would make him 48. (You will find that info in "A Wanted Man" in chapter 2 of that book). People have mentioned using unknowns. I picture dirty blonde hair on a rugged man with a chiseld face. But todays make up and other techniques that can be used to either age a person or to give an older person his youth back I would select a man who has talent, not a superstar, and a great actor who is currently 56 yrs old. He has the blonde hair, blue eye combo and he is Dolph Lungren. I think he would have been great as Jack. I can see him in the shadows and in the light, fighting for right and supporting the underdog. He is intelligent. He is a Fulbright Scholar from MIT with a masters in Chemical Engineering. He is also a third degree black belt. He meets the intelligence criteria, his size and his look is right, and he can fight. In my mind he would be the rugged, tough, and smart man that Jack Reacher is. He might need a bit of botox to make him look a tad younger but I don't think he would be too off the mark. Too bad my opinion doesn't count in the world of movie making. My husband agrees with me. But as we all know, it is too late for that to happen since Tom Cruise holds the rights.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 6:27:36 PM PST
gypsyartist says:
I've read all of the Reacher books and I believe its mentioned several times that Reacher has blonde hair and blue eyes. His hair was probably cut short in the military, but when he later leaves and goes on the road, he probably lets it grow out. I dont remember any "hair cuts" in any of the books..lol...and I'm almost sure that they mention in several of the books that his age is 36 or 37. I guess I'll have to read them all over again.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 6:36:44 PM PST
gypsyartist says:
Jack Reacher
Created by Lee Child (pseudonym of James Grant)

"I was thirty-six years old, a citizen of a country I had barely seen, and there were places to go and there were things to do. There were cities, and there was countryside. There were mountains, and there were valleys. There were rivers. There were museums, and music, and motels, and clubs, and diners, and bars, and buses. There were battlefields and birthplaces, and legends, and roads. There was company if I wanted it, and there was solitude if I didn't.

I picked a road at random, and I put one foot on the curb and one in the traffic lane, and I stuck out my thumb."
-- Reacher finally lays out his gameplan in The Affair (2011)

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 6:39:33 PM PST
gypsyartist says:
Physical appearance= Reacher is 6' 5" tall (1.96 m) with a 50-inch chest, and weighing between 210 and 250 pounds (100-115 kg). He has ice-blue eyes and dirty blond hair. He has very little body fat, and his muscular physique is completely natural (he reveals in Persuader, he has never been an exercise enthusiast). He is exceptionally strong, has a high stamina, but is not a good runner. He is also, allegedly, quite a handful in the bedroom.

Reacher has various scars, most notably a scar on his abdomen caused by a bombing in Lebanon. He also has a 3-4 inch thin white scar that intersects his shrapnel scar that he received during a knife fight in Gone Tomorrow. Reacher mentions how the rough stitch work from his existing scar helped decrease the severity of his most recent attack. The cut did produce a deep, serious gash that led to Reacher passing out from blood loss. He also has a scar on his chest from a .38 bullet, a tear drop burn scar from close range gunshot that crossed his chest at point blank range, and one on his arm where his brother struck him with a chisel in his youth.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 7:21:59 PM PST
Hi Gypsy, we have ourselves a book discussion group. Pretty cool. Love your insights. In "A Wanted Man" it says "Reacher had been a cop in the army for 13 years, and then for almost as long had lived on his wits...". I'd say he is late 30's to early to mid 40's. A man in his prime.

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 3:01:00 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
Well, he says he is 36 when he leaves the military and starts hitching. We really have no idea how long he has been out of the military. I think one other book says he is 37. I'm not sure if Lee Child ages Reacher once a year when he writes a book? I got all the personal appearance info from the Child web site. TC is so far removed from it all, its hard to imagine Child selling him the rights. But, as I said before, money talks. TC is one of the top 5 richest men in Hollywood. And I'm sure he paid a big chunk of it to buy Reacher.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 8:51:10 AM PST
am a great fan of lee childs. jack reacher is a favorite of mine along with harry bosch, parkers sleuths, etc.
saw the movie and was surprised at my reaction. thought it was stupid to have tom cruise portray jack reacher, however i now feel that tom cruise's jack reacher is an entirely new character based on the real jack reacher.
the movie was worth 3 1/2 stars by my reconing.
sets up a whole new set of movies for cruise to make based on this character.

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 8:57:11 AM PST
gypsyartist says:
sets up a whole new set of movies for cruise to make based on this character. (Leonard)

Of course this is why TC bought the rights. I wonder why they never used TC in one of the Bond 007 movies? I like his Mission Impossible series and wish he would have stuck with that. The movie was worth 3 stars as an action movie (but not as Reacher).

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 3:37:44 PM PST
I have previously referred to an article in Playboy Magazine with Lee Child and why Tom Cruise plays Jack Reacher. For those of you who are interested the issue is the October 2012 issue.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best Books forum (70 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Worst Book Ever Written? 419 12 days ago
recently read best book 220 Jun 8, 2014
Christian authors. 0 Jun 8, 2014
The Light Between Oceans, (Stedman) 10 Jun 8, 2014
Best Book Ever 1222 Jun 6, 2014
Poetry 2 May 9, 2014
Looking for suggestions for a book that takes place in a Christmas setting. 1 Apr 30, 2014
Crime Fiction 157 Jan 2, 2014
Best books from the last 10 years 0 Dec 21, 2013
Best pick for a mystery book group 161 Aug 24, 2013
Best book by a new author 41 Aug 21, 2013
Suggest a children book! 1 Aug 21, 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best Books forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Feb 8, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions