Customer Discussions > Best of 2012 forum

Best Rock Releases of 2012 (So Far)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 105 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 8, 2012 11:36:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2012 10:49:36 AM PDT
WH says:
We passed the halfway mark of the year. NPR put out its listing and its listeners' listing of the "Best of 2012 (so far). Here's the link to NPR:
http://www.npr.org/2012/06/08/154600951/npr-musics-25-favorite-albums-of-2012-so-far

Here's my list:

1. Tedeschi Trucks Band, Everbody's Talkin': Live (2 CDs) (Masterwork / Sony)
2. Lotus Plaza, Spooky Action at a Distance (Kranky)
3. Father John Misty, Fear Fun (Subpop)
4. Andrew Bird, Break It Yourself (Mom & Pop Records)
5. The Lower Dens, Nootropics (Ribbon Records)
6. The Punch Brothers, Who's Feeling Young Now? (Nonesuch)
7. Shearwater, Animal Joy (Subpop)
8. The Shins, Port of Morrow (Columbia / Aural Apothecary)
9. Trampled by Turtles, Stars and Satellites (BanjoDad Records)
10. Silversun Pickups, Neck of the Woods (Dangerbird)

I post these things in hopes of being wrong! I'm sure that I've missed some of the really fine releases out there that I've yet to come across. Please post your listing of your top 10 or top 5

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 11:43:18 AM PDT
Unquestionably, HEART - STRANGE EUPHORIA box set.

Get it, I got, You get it. End of story.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 12:41:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2012 8:07:31 AM PDT
Machiventa says:
I listed a bunch of my favorites on another forum so I'll just copy them here but wasn't really sure if all of these fall into the rock category since some fall into more electronic/dance territory but at least they're playing their own instruments.
Most fall into the Indie Rock genre and in no particular order:

Brian Jonestown Massacre - Aufheben
Some Velvet Morning - Allies
De La Mancha - The End Of Music
Dr. John - Locked Down
Violens - True
Suckers - Candy Salad
Purity Ring - Shrines
Pompeya - Foursome
Dent May - Do Things
Pomegranates - Heaven
Alt-J - An Awesome Wave
Lights Out Asia - Hy Brasil
Sin Fang - Half Dreams
Guillemots - Hello Land
Love Connection - Euphoria
Lower Dens - Nootropics
Sebastian Tellier - My God Is Blue
Jonquil - Point Of Go
iamamiwhoami - kin
Beach House - Bloom
Van She - Idea Of Happiness
Capybara - Dave Drusky
Twin Shadow - Confess

Epic year for great music.

I'll edit this later and add some more that I can't think of right now.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 1:35:20 PM PDT
UFO - Seven Deadly
Vinnie Moore, Phil Mogg, Andy Parker and Paul Raymond
This Album Rocks Pure and Simple!

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 2:00:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2012 2:02:47 PM PDT
Deadcell says:
Wow, I haven't heard of a single band you guys have posted, aside from Silversun Pickups and The Shins. And they're all rock?

Thousand Foot Krutch - "The End is Where We Begin"
Periphery - "Periphery II"
Demon Hunter - "True Defiance"
Sahaj - "Another Minute"
Shinedown - "Amaryllis"

Most Anticipated:
Tremonti - "All I Was"
Projected - "Human"

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 11:53:22 AM PDT
Rockfan101 says:
Divided By Design

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 12:37:01 PM PDT
WH says:
DeadCell says: "Wow, I haven't heard of a single band you guys have posted, aside from Silversun Pickups and The Shins. And they're all rock?"

It's a feeling I get all the time--and was the whole reason I started this thread. There's so much great music out there, so much creativity. Thanks, all, for the recommendations thus far. Hopefully more will begin coming in. All the best.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 12:43:57 PM PDT
Mmxii

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 5:25:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2012 5:41:11 PM PDT
Anathema - Weather Systems
Buckethead - Electric Sea
Lacuna Coil - Dark Adrenalin
Lucero - Women and Work

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 12:36:40 PM PDT
Ramin D. says:
Chuck Prophet -- Temple Beautiful
(sadly mentioned nowhere yet, and destined to be my favorite "straight rock'n'roll" album of 2012, unless something so fantastic comes along that just blows my mind to smithereens)

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 5:32:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2012 8:46:24 PM PDT
pork turtle says:
Best of 2012 so far:
Lee Bains & The Glory Fires - There is a Bomb in Gilead
Hiss Golden Messenger - Poor Moon (cd release in April/vinyl last Nov. - count it!)
Dr. John - Locked Down
Ray Wylie Hubbard - The Grifter's Hymnal
Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Big Moon Ritual
Alabama Shakes - Boys and Girls

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 8:14:02 PM PDT
1. JD McPherson - Signs & Signifiers
2. Alejandro Escovedo - Big Station
3. Ray Wylie Hubbard - The Grifter's Hymnal
4. Chuck Prophet - Temple Beautiful
5. Tommy Womack - Now What

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 5:22:39 AM PDT
Van Halen-A Different Kind of Truth
Dr. John-Locked Down
the Moon Mistress-A Silent Voice Inside

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 5:59:24 AM PDT
I'm Just Different [Explicit]

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 6:01:31 AM PDT
Gift says:
I agree I'm Just Different [Explicit]

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 10:03:25 AM PDT
Fischman says:
Rush -- Clockwork Angels
Lacuna Coil -- Dark Adrenaline

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 9:30:57 PM PDT
The Gaslight Anthem -- Handwritten

Well, in eleven days.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 6:14:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2012 6:18:28 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
@Machiventa:

<<Epic year for great music>>

I love when I hear someone say that.....and mean it. Yes, anyone living in the 60's or drawn to it by their father, older brother, etc. has a perfect right to embrace it as the be all of rock/pop music. I just continue to hope upon hope that those folks will at least give today's music an airing. It's easy to do, regardless of how commercial radio may sound to you. With youtube out there (and other sites that play WHOLE songs), one can easily "hear what's out there" as easily as it was in the 60's to turn on the radio. Actually easier, because with yt you get to ask for the song/artist you want to hear. As good as radio may have been in the 60's (and I still think the memories of HOW GOOD it was are exaggerated with nostalgia for those "good old days", you couldn't always hear exactly what you wanted when you wanted.

And if you DO make an attempt to embrace today's music and STILL find it lacking for your own musical sensibilities? Why, go back to the 60's or whatever previous decade that produced YOUR version of good to great music and have a ball. I still embrace the 50s music as much as I did when I first heard it at 9 years old. But don't mess with my PJ Harvey, Tom Waits, Bjork, Sonic Youth, Wilco, Flaming Lips, etc.etc.etc albums either.

For me, music is great...nostalgically and presently.

ed.

ps. List to follow....I'll try to make it a short one....for me.

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 8:09:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2012 8:35:51 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
2012:

Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIlLq4BqGdg (Every Single Night)

Beach House - Bloom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvwl7INZykc (Lazuli)

Rush - Clockwork Angels
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfRkacBcHhY (entire album)

Dr. John - Locked Down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WchtZMh4gkU (Ice Age)

Anathema - Weather Systems
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EokdGEfQb0k (Internal Landscapes)

The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EokdGEfQb0k (Bright Lanterns)

Anglagard - Viljans Oga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEDhBJynbvo (Ur Vilande)

Spiritualized - Sweet Heart Sweet Light - Huh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RqBImncHCA (Hey Jane)

iamamiwhoami - kin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJBC8L3pG_Y&feature=relmfu (play)

Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsmaTq-T4zE (wasted days)

Ok, there's 10....not MY BEST 10 so far but I was going for stuff that intrigues me enough to want to explore further.

Fiona Apple in a comeback that is getting a lot of buzz. She's always seemed to be a love her/hate her kind of performer. I'm still listening.
I like Beach House a lot.
Rush works for me sometimes, even though Lee's intonation bothers me at times (not his high register). Like a lot of prog stuff, the vocalist often overdue the "importance" of the lyrical content. Dylan NEVER does that, although he ain't prog either.
I love the Dr. John album and it is a welcomed addition to my collection.
The Anathema cut will be much too "over the top" for some. I'm still deciding if the group is my kind of sound over the long haul.
The Tallest Man on Earth is my continued exploration of his way with words. I sometimes find the production a bit too brittle.
Anglagard, I'm told, is already history.....interesting sound but surely NOT rock. Symphonic prog?
Spiritualized has been a favorite band of mine for sometime now.
iamamiwhoami - I think I spelled that correctly. Surely their (her) sound and visual presence/imagery is a matter of taste. At the risk of having lots of people get pissed, I sometimes think she sounds like Kate Bush. Then again, I know what happens when people compare Amos to Bush. Bedlam.
Cloud Nothings - a local band (Cleveland) with a great raw sound.

So, of these 10, my Top 4 would be Cloud Nothings, Spiritualized, Dr. John and Beach House. The others are works in progress for me and my listening. Of the 4, I already have CN, S, Dr. John. I'll get BH soon.

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 10:39:17 AM PDT
Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion
Rush - Clockwork Angels
Rufus Wainwright - Out Of The Game
of Montreal - Paralytic Stalks
Kishi Bashi - 151a
Kreator - Phantom Antichrist
Kelly Hogan - I Like To Keep Myself In Pain
Jack White - Blunderbuss
Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel...
Django Django - Django Django
Asia - XXX

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 7:13:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2012 7:14:36 PM PDT
WH says:
Ed, We keep running into each other. I share your hope that people will stop romanticizing the 60s. I came of age in the 60s--began following stuff around 1966. At the time, I didn't appreciate how brilliant it all was--new music coming at us from all directions, rock, soul, jazz, rock re-inventing itself with rock-folk, rock-country, rock-blues, Latin rock. It was great while it lasted. That said, I have no romanticism for the 60s (except perhaps for the great jazz of the era). In 45+ years of listening to popular music, I've witnessed four extraordinary moments in rock: the late 60s/early 70s, the late 70s (punk/new wave), early 90s (the Seattle alternative explosion), and then the indie revolution of the mid 2000s. Now behind each of those revolutions were years when those musicians honed their craft, were under the radar, and then something happened that allowed them to define the era. I've always believed that every generation has important things to say and believed that I need to keep listening to hear what's new, what each generation has to say. I love much of the new music. The 2000s has been a great decade of music. I routinely defend it to my colleagues who are often stuck in the eras in which they grew up, whether 60s or 70s or 80s or 90s. I do worry that the indie revolution is beginning to lose steam. In any case, my reason for starting this thread was to learn from others. I presume that there's great music out there and great musicians trying to say something. I just can't always be in touch with where the creativity is coming from. Thus the value of such lists. All the best.

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 7:34:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2012 7:35:17 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
WH:

I applaud you for caring. I mean, you and I have found our music from each era and only wish that everyone would keep looking, even if the "pickings" seem measly on the surface for their own musical sensibilities. That's why I periodically do "genre searches". I'll go to a site where you can search by genre (www.allmusic.com or www.rateyourmusic.com among others). I'll pick one....sometimes one that's already a favorite of mine, looking for names I've missed. Then again, I often will take one where the chances of my being pleasantly surprised is less than 50-50 (rap, metal) and, depending on how many names in the genre I try out, often WILL find something I like. But one thing is for certain. I seldom get bored.

ed

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 10:02:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 15, 2012 1:49:04 AM PDT
I love to see so many mentioning "Locked Down" by Dr. John - I love most of his stuff, but this one seems to be getting some attention (finally). Port of Morrow by the Shins is also good. Wrecking Ball by the Boss and Blunderbus by Jack White are great. And don't forget Boys & Girls by Alabama Shakes.

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 6:25:18 AM PDT
Brian Baker says:
Do you like Alice in Chains, Chevelle, Staind? Check out this 2012 Release, Dads Rehab. Dads Rehab [Explicit]

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 10:27:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 16, 2012 1:15:25 PM PDT
Autonomeus says:
I haven't heard too much yet, but so far:

MARK LANEGAN BAND -- Blues Funeral.
LIARS -- WIXIW

The new Neurosis isn't out until November, and I'm sure it will be one of the years' best.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best of 2012 forum (16 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best of 2012 forum
Participants:  59
Total posts:  105
Initial post:  Jul 8, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions