Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL
Customer Discussions > Best of 2012 forum

Rihanna- The New Queen Of Music?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 13, 2012 6:38:48 AM PST
Mikal says:
I think that Rihanna over these last few years has established herself as the Best Female Artist of our time. Madonna lost her crown as the Queen of Pop Music a few years ago, Lady Gaga temporarily fooled many people into thinking she was the new Queen but her career has fizzled out- yet Rihanna has gone from musical success to success in recent years. She has a great voice, is beautiful & interested in reinventing both her look & sound, and she works hard. She is currently the leader of the female musical pack, and has been for the last few years- the press/critics appear to be a little bit slow in proclaiming her as the New Queen of Pop Music, but they are slowly coming around.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:59:07 PM PST
I think you should be careful as to what you proclaim her to be crown of. Yes she has a good voice (if she does not use autotune) but not a great one if you consider other genres. She could be queen of pop maybe, I don't know. There are other pop tarts out there that also are good and some that have trained voices even, like Katie Perry for one. I'm not very big on pop any more in that it never explores the wide range that a voice is capable of producing as an instrument.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:21:16 AM PST
Adrian says:
I'm gonna say no. Rihanna is doing her thing though. Very persistent in her music career. I think Michael will always be the king of pop (and although everyone loves to dispute this for varying reasons) Madonna is the queen. Madonna isn't even in my top 30 favorite artists or anything like that but I realize her talent and what she's done as far as the pop genre goes.

I also think it's too soon to say Lady Gaga's career is over. She's only put out 2 albums and an EP. Give her time. In my eyes however Madonna is the queen and Michael will forever be king.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:49:36 PM PST
Mikal says:
Madonna WAS the Queen of Pop in the 80's/90's but since 2000 she has only made 2 decent albums ('Music', 'Confessions on a Dancefloor') & she has totally lost her midas touch post confessions. Madonna should have retired after 'Ray Of Light' LP- sadly the longer she continues making music /touring she is destroying her once amazing legacy. Madonna is sadly very much OVER!

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 9:51:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 9:53:37 AM PST
2Dogs1Bowl says:
Madonna is well past her prime, but she set a pretty high standard for the female pop artist superstar. The same with Michael Jackson. There hasn't been a solo pop artist since either of them ready for the "Queen of/King of" status. Even today Madonna's all but assured the #1 spot on the dance charts by recording anything, which she's done with more than 40 songs. Then there's 28 songs that were top 5 on the US charts, not to mention all the international.

Rihanna's still very young and has been extremely successful, and remains popular, but there's no way to know how sustainable it is. More so because her work touches on R&B and hiphop quite a bit, and artists in that vein can occasionally fall off. She's been cranking out an album a year (!) since getting signed so she's off to a great start though. If any of the current crop of popular female pop artists have a shot at the crown it's unquestionably her. So long as she takes care of herself that is, she's been on a pretty aggressive schedule for years now. She's started out as a ball of fire for sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 11:41:56 AM PST
Mikal says:
@Adrian Cooper & Random1040- I totally agree with you about Michael Jackson being the undisputed 'King of Pop', his music was always amazing & he took great pride in the quality of his work. Since his death I'm annoyed at the mainstream media and how they just talk about his success up to & including the 80's, they totally overlook her amazing work from the 90's. In particular I'm amazed the media overlook his 'Dangerous' (LP, 1991)- this LP is my favourite, it has a brilliant variety of sounds, amazing music videos, spawned over 10 hit singles & it actually outsold 'Bad'(LP, 87) & 'Off The Wall' (LP), it's 2nd in sales to 'Thriller'. In 95 Michael released a double album 'History' where one CD was his GH & the other CD contained 15 mostly great new tracks- Michael wisely fixed up a few less than great 'History' songs & had them beautifully remixed for a hybrid LP 'Blood On The Dancefloor/ History In The Mix' that featured a number of great new songs as well as the remixes- the media never mentions his circa mid-90's music, it may have been less popular in the US but it was immensly popular in OX, UK, & Europe. Anyway, my point is that Michael Jackson remains the King of Pop, it's tragic that he died but His Amazing Music lives on forever!

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 7:23:52 PM PST
Adrian says:
Glad to see a dedicated fan in you, Mikal. "Bad" is actually my favorite by Michael but I also love "Thriller", "Off The Wall" and "Invincible" which I think is underrated.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:28:34 PM PST
Adrian says:
Maybe you're right. I listened to samples of her new album and I was turned off. However, you have to also go by what she has accomplished thus far and that's a LOT. Saying Madonna was never where Rihanna is would be very foolish. Rihanna has been in the game for a mere 7 years. Madonna? Decades. And she's had tons and tons of hits. Personally, my favorite singer of all time is Mariah and she has done a lot of big things herself but I recognize Madonna as the queen of pop if anyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 9:10:46 AM PST
Mikal says:
I Love Mariah's voice, her style & her- however I really only Adore Mariah's early albums; in the beginning she sang conventional songs on her own & one could appreciate her amazing voice. My Favourite Mariah Albums Are: "Mariah Carey: LP", "Emotions: LP", "MTV Unplugged: EP", "Music Box: LP" (my favourite), "Daydream: LP"; however starting with her "Butterfly: LP" Mariah changed up her sound & her vocal delivery/ song structure (ie having guest rappers and she started singing around them) & I didn't like this change, & this is when Mariah's commercial fortunes began to change. I'm not saying that she hasn't made any great music since then, but she makes less of the 'traditional Mariah songs' on her later albums but if you look hard you can find them, they just don't tend to be released as singles etc. Nevertheless, I guess Mariah felt in the late 90's it was a time for a musical change & evolution. Anyway, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on Mariah Carey.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 2:44:11 PM PST
Adrian says:
Again, nice post. I don't know what you're expecting but like I said I love Mariah. My favorite album of hers is Daydream but I'm the type of person that could find 5 or 6 good songs (at least) on each of her albums. I definitely prefer most of her earlier albums to her recent stuff but Emancipation of Mimi was an excellent offering too. It's definitely her best 2000s album. I also don't mind the guest rappers. Most of the ones she's worked with I like and I think the songs worked especially songs like "Crybaby' featuring Snoop Dogg and "Breakdown" featuring two of the members from Bone Thugz N Harmony.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 8:24:53 PM PST
Burr says:

That poor word has been beaten, abused and raked over the coals by our society so mercilessly that it has lost all meaning.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 11:42:43 AM PST
Mikal says:
"Diva" is a very overused word too, the same goes for 'Icon'!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Best of 2012 forum (16 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Best of 2012 forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Dec 13, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions