Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors forum

please recommend autobiographies about non-celebreties

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on Jul 6, 2012 3:46:06 PM PDT.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 834 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 2, 2011 7:18:38 PM PDT
jp says:
You've gotten lots of suggestions. As the author of "Martha Matilda Harrper and the American Dream", I have fallen in love with this amazing woman who went from servant girl to creator of modern franchising so that other poor women could enrich themselves also. Quite the entrepreneur and all accomplished starting in 1891! over 500 franchises delighting royalty and world leaders followed.

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 6:20:20 AM PDT
Medic/911 says:
A very good true-life book is "Paramedic to the Prince" The story of an American Paramedic who spent ten years working in Saudi Arabia, Including being on the medical staff of King Abdullah. The best inside look into Saudi Arabia, written by a western expatriate.

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 8:16:50 AM PDT
Nan Weber says:
I have written two biographies about non-celebrities. One is "Mattie, A Woman's Journey West," about a woman buried in Yellowstone Park. Here is a brief description:
After discovering Mattie's fenced grave in Yellowstone National Park, author Nan Weber followed her own curiosities through four years of research to trace the steps of this mystery woman's spirited life. The result is the inspiring story of a strong woman trying to better her life during difficult times.

My newest biography is about Yellowstone Chip Samuell, a cowboy and wrangler and as he always referred to himself "a western entertainer." Here is the description of "Singing in the Saddle, The Life and Times of Yellowstone Chip:"
Yellowstone Chip Samuell's contributions as an entertainer and wrangler caught author Nan Weber's imagination. After finding traces of Yellowstone Chip's writing at the historic OTO Dude Ranch north of Yellowstone National Park, Weber tracked Chip's history. In the course of her research, she found Chip's memoirs, his music, his cartooning, and his family. What has emerged from these home sources and civil records is the picture of a first-class wrangler and entertainer during the heyday of dude ranches and singing cowboys, a fascinating story which you will witness in the pages of Singing In The Saddle: The Life and Times Of Yellowstone Chip.

This book documents Chip's travels from his Illinois childhood home to the majesty of the Western United States. Within the book, tunes are introduced highlighting different portions of Chip's musical development. His lively journey encompasses music, cowboy life, and, most of all, people. Backed with nostalgic photographs and written works by Chip, Singing In The Saddle engages you with a story of a true singing cowboy.

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 8:50:02 AM PDT
johngamel says:
Try my book entitled The Man Who Lived in an Eggcup: A Memoir of Triumph and Self-Destruction. I'm sure as hell not a celebrity but I've seen lots of triumphs and much self-destruction during my career as a physician. These include a man who literally lived in an eggcup (his legs removed at the hips) but worked forty hours a week for twenty years. And then there's the patient who smoked cigarettes through his tracheostomy. Virtually all of the chapters were published in first-line literary magazines, including Epoch, Boulevard, The Antoich Review and The Alaska Quarterly Review. Another chapter, entitled "The Elegant Eyeball," was included in Best American Essays 2010. My collected works are shown on jwgamel.com

John Gamel, MD

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2011 6:11:05 AM PDT
rvtjr says:
Strength Within Surviving by the Grace of God is a diamond in the ruff. It is truly inspirational.

Posted on Aug 6, 2011 6:49:02 AM PDT
sunshine says:
"No Longer Silent" is in prep-production Woody Robertson is the Producer/Director of Malibu county Films, he is also an award winning veteran Producer with over 30 years of huge successful Films under his belt. With that being said....I would check the book out before it is produced!! The trailer will be buzzing within a month! If you order a copy, I even personally sign it :)

Posted on Aug 6, 2011 7:12:57 AM PDT
Behind My Face

A true story about my life that most people can relate too and hopefully learn from. I write about death, heartbreak, falling in love, getting married, pregnancy and giving birth as well as finding success, wealth and joy from within. Learning that the power of my life comes from my heart, it changed my life completely. Going from having no love, no friends, no money, no nothing to yes, yes and YES. If it had not been for what I have been through, I would not made it as far as I have today. So I am forever grateful for my life.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2011 9:47:50 AM PDT
rrp777 says:
Excellent, I will look it up. My book: MANIC EPISODES and the DARK SIDE - a Memoir of a Bipolar Life - is now in print: A reader comment: My friend who had a bipolar brother is enjoying your book immensely! She has worked in Psychology as a counselor and is truly fascinated by how you have captured your experiences. Both I and my daughter loved it as well! It needs to be a textbook-required read!

Posted on Aug 6, 2011 10:00:11 AM PDT
Whowrotewhat says:
From a Dime a Dozen to Priceless.

From a Dime a Dozen to Priceless

Will make you kaugh and cry.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2011 10:04:06 AM PDT
Whowrotewhat says:
you may want to read From a Dime a Dozen to Priceless
From a Dime a Dozen to Priceless

let me know if you read it. If younare not satisfied I will buy the e-version back from you.
Steve

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2011 6:08:16 AM PDT
Hello Patricia
Here is the link to my autobiography. I am a school teacher, tennis player and cancer survivor I hope you can check it out

Game, Set, Life

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 6:55:45 AM PDT
Hello Everyone! I have published a book entitled, Specail, which is about a young girl who I had a relationship with many years ago. She was extremtly shy at first, but later blossomed into a beautiful, outgoing, and confident young woman. Unfortunately, she harbored a deep secret. She was convinced she would die at an early age in an auto accident. She attended school and started a medical career and because of her beliefs and family conflicts, our relationship endured a roller coast ride, with heartaches and breakups along the way. Special incorporates premonitions, romance, coming of age, and life in the early seventies. And although there is the underlining theme of supernatural within its story lines, every word of it is true. Special can be purchased through Amazon.com, or you can visit my web site. mraffbooks.com. Thank you! Michael Raff

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 7:13:52 AM PDT
thepear27 says:
Was It Coincidence or Miracle? The Highest Peak by author Kathy Lee Pair is now available. This is a memoir of my mother Virginia Lee. Readers will see how Miss Virginia truly saw things differently than other people and they, too, will wonder if what happened to her was just coincidence...or was something else.
www.outskirtspress.com/thehighestpeak

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 7:41:43 AM PDT
Real-I-am says:
In My Mind's Eye, by Justin Marciano

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 2:07:01 PM PDT
ROCK MY WORLD, A rock & roll memoir from a foot soldier point of view!

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 3:37:54 PM PDT
If you like humor, you might like this one!
Disaster Flambé

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 3:20:13 AM PDT
Johannah says:
"For A Dancer" by Emma J. Stephens. This one cries out to be made into a movie.

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 12:34:33 PM PDT
IT'S OK TO LAUGH is my life's story on Kindle ebooks. It's raw, funny and at sometimes very sad. Growing up in a small seashore town with great parents and all the love I could hope for. How I turned out so "odd" is still a mystery to me. Give it a shot, I think you'll enjoy it. Nancy Santa Lucia

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 2:26:47 PM PDT
You should check out www.nathanweathington.com. The main characters, the Weathington Boys, are the arch nemesis of Amy Chua (Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother). Ms. Chua might be shocked to see that the same boys who invented the The S#$% Bomb, the greatest practical joke in the history of mankind, grew to be somewhat well-adjusted successful adults.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 4:45:25 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 14, 2011 11:24:39 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 5:07:53 AM PDT
Rebone says:
I'd like to recommend a biography of an unknown (non celebrity, non politician) woman named Raymond. Raymond was born of mixed gender and raised as a boy. Here's the link:

A Woman Denied...The Early Years

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 7:46:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 12, 2011 7:47:28 AM PDT
Real-I-am says:
In My Mind's EyeIn My Mind's Eye, by Justin Marciano

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 2:20:48 PM PDT
Therese says:
If you're into tear-jerkers with happy-endings, check out "Where You Left Me" by Jennifer Trulson. I read an advance copy and it's quite something amid the 9/11 memoirs--such a happy ending in a way that's so hard to do with such a tragic story.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 4:57:16 PM PDT
Jones says:
You might enjoy mine. I worked in the videogame business for over ten years before losing my job and realizing I had forgotten that I had started out wanting to be a writer. It's available on both Kindle and BN. Laid Off

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2011 4:04:25 AM PDT
john says:
I am the author of the book Proper Cornish Childhood, and English author......
A true story of Michael, an 10 year old Cornish boy who in 1967 watched the Torrey Canyon oil tanker being bombed. The tanker was snagged on rocks, on the seven stones reef. Michaels accounts of the devastation that followed on Cornish beaches, is harrowing. Also, his love of Trereife where he lived and Christmas trips to Mousehole to see the Christmas lights, and Myths and legends, and learning to cook pasties with his mother. Furthermore, what he experienced growing up between 1966 - 1967, a Proper Cornish Childhood is a fascinating voyage of discovery of life in 1960s Cornwall.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (159 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Meet Our Authors forum
Participants:  494
Total posts:  834
Initial post:  Apr 22, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 85 customers

Search Customer Discussions