Customer Discussions > Biography forum

Lyle Prouse: Commercial Pilot who lost it all and returned from humiliating defeat

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 8, 2012 8:20:15 AM PST
Mickey Mills says:
Final Approach - Northwest Airlines Flight 650, Tragedy and Triumph

Final Approach - Northwest Airlines Flight 650, Tragedy and Triumph on Kindle

With solid 5-star reviews this memoir is a must-read.

This the memoir of NW Airlines pilot Lyle Prouse who was busted for flying drunk. His arrest on March 8th of 1990 made headlines around the globe. Lyle was one of the first pilots to serve time in federal prison under a new federal law mandating alcohol consumption and allowable blood alcohol levels before flight.

Despite layers of sanctions that ensured he would never fly again, Lyle turned his life around and returned to Northwest where he retired as a 747 Captain on international flights, the top role of any commercial pilot.

His biography is a story of unlikely success and absolute failure with a redemption few are able to achieve. Captain Lyle Prouse flew jet fighters in Vietnam. His unlikely rise through the Marine Corps enlisted ranks to make officer would be difficult in today's Corps. He carried himself with honor through the dishonorable circumstances of his arrest. He became the butt of jokes from late night hosts Jay Leno and David Letterman.

The judge who sentenced Lyle to prison ultimately became his biggest supporter and pushed for a presidential pardon. In January of 2001 he received the "Executive Grant of Clemency" one of the last orders of business of outgoing President Bill Clinton.

The forward of Lyle's autobiography is beautifully written by Ted Koppel.

Also, this book is now

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 7:02:16 AM PST
I've not read the book (yet) but I have seen message board posts by Lyle about his arrest and the aftermath: he's a very honest and compelling writer. Thanks for pointing me towards his autobiography.

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 8:14:01 AM PST
M. Boyt says:
I haven't finished the book, but I am toally captivated by it. I am reading it on my Kindle Fire and not getting much else done.....then my battery went dead....right now it's charging and I can't wait to get back to it. I totally, highly recommend this book "Final Approach" by Lyle Prouse. I would consider it a high honor in my life to meet this man. One thing that has really upset me in this book is how unfairly federal prisoners are treated as they are incarcerated for non-violent crimes. What a shame!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0x952bb24c)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Feb 8, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions