Customer Discussions > Biography forum

I'd like to read and review people's books. They must be non-fiction and interesting, though.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 13, 2012 7:03:32 PM PDT
Gaston says:
I like to read about true and interesting lives. I'd be more than happy to consider books that are non-fiction. Obviously, I can't do too many, but if they're interesting I'll get through the ebooks fast. Post potential ebook here and I'll see which ones look interesting.

Thanks,
Gaston.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 6:06:55 PM PDT
The Crossing, living a life without regret

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 4:34:03 AM PDT
Guido51 says:
I humbly offer Adytum, by Guido. It is my memoir of life with deaf, abusive parents, and of the life that emerged from those humble beginnings.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 4:54:54 PM PDT
Hello,
I would like to present
Nerve Palsy: Mind over Matter (Nerve Palsy:Adjustment & Self Discovery)

Very inspiring

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 5:14:08 AM PDT
I would feel honoured if you checked out my book Blue-eyed in Luhya-land . My husband and I moved from modern Sweden to a mud hut on a maize field in Western Kenya. No water, no electricity but a desire to help. Not so easy with a chief and a medicine man trying to sabotage it all.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 5:35:50 PM PDT
Javier says:
Gaston, I just self published Tulipano - A Story of Wartime Italy 1944-45. The way Kirkus Reviews put it: This meandering but mesmerizing memoir details the political and social turmoil of World War II through the eyes of an intrepid courier for the headquarters of the Italian resistance movement. De Hoog's journey begins and ends at Mauthausen, the site of a concentration camp in Nazi-occupied Austria. It was to Mauthausen he was taken on January 8, 1945, "four murderous months before the end of WWII," in a cattle car barreling through the snow-dressed peaks. Sent there after he and other top resistance leaders were arrested by the Gestapo, he escapes by leaping from the train and finding his way back to Bolzano. He becomes involved in the Italian resistance in 1944, participating in life-or-death missions and raids. De Hoog's memoir recounts anecdote after anecdote of wartime chaos: Among many other things, he comments on the "abiding personal hatred" the Nazi SS guards displayed for their prisoners, the "Calvary path" of stone steps the prisoners were forced to climb at Mauthausen and the censored correspondence from his sister Caroline about the miseries of German occupation in Amsterdam. De Hoog, who used the code name Martino in honor of his brother, a soldier who perished in the Dutch army, illustrates not only the frights of upheaval, but its small miracles and unexpected blessings. He writes, for instance, of a conservative resistance leader staging a raid to free a member of a more liberal sect. As the volume concludes, it's revealed that a 1983 trip to Mauthausen prompted the author's recollection of terror. While large-scale accounts of WWII will provide a more comprehensive overview of its conflicts, De Hoog's firsthand version teems with humanity not often found in such surveys. It's written with the same measures of ethical commitment and intelligence that seem to have helped him outpace his German persecutors.
A lush, unsparing narrative that honors history and emotion.
Maybe you may want to give Tulipano a try. It is in both paperback and Kindle. If you have Amazon Prime the e-book is free. Regards, Walter

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 11:08:50 PM PDT
Gaston says:
Hi Walter,

I like the sounds of your story and I'm a big fan of reading Indie work. Please email me and we can organise. gaston@gastonssecret.com.

Cheers,
Gaston.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 11:09:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 12, 2012 11:09:42 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 10:19:59 AM PDT
On the Other Side of the Glass
Hi Gaston, I have a new spiritual fiction novel coming out Nov. 1. Check it out (the link is attached), and see if you would be interested in reviewing it. Thank you, Christi Kari

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 5:23:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2012 5:24:23 PM PDT
Gaston, here is part of the Bookwi.se review of my non-fiction marriage book for men, Orgasms are for Women, Marriage is for Men: A funny (occasionally crass), but real self-help book for married men. It is a quick book (around 50 pages) and most people will read it in about an hour. I think that it is a mostly helpful book. This book is oriented around the idea that you cannot control the other person, you can only control yourself. So get your stuff together and forget about theirs. This book is a bit crude at times. I think that is because it is trying to go after men and be funny. But there are places where I think it is over the top. - Bookwi.se

If this sounds like something you'd be interested in reading I'd be happy to make arrangements to get you a complimentary review copy.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 1:14:24 PM PDT
Gaston,

My biography (the first in English) of the famous polar explorer Roald Amundsen was published this month by Da Capo Press: The Last Viking: The Life of Roald Amundsen. He was the first to sail the Northwest Passage, reach the South Pole, and, probably, the North Pole. My research included the discover of hundreds of previously unknown profiles, articles and interviews in the New York Times article archive reveal an entirely new side to his personality: a wry, self-deprecating story-teller. And that he lived primarily in the United States for many years until his death in 1928 in an airplane crash trying to rescue a fellow explorer.
Thanks,
Stephen

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 10:28:10 PM PDT
I wrote a memoir about my experiences teaching in an alternative high school. Dramatic and poignant. Award-winning. Everything related in the book is absolutely true. Has very good reviews.
Thanks and good luck to you in your reading! Looks like you have lots of choices.
No Child Left Behind? The true story of a teacher's quest

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 11:28:20 AM PDT
melanie says:
Reflections in a Broken Mirror!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 4:18:12 AM PST
Philanon says:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Relapse-Recovery-Recovering-Alcoholic-ebook/dp/B0097MZ2F0/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352204239&sr=1-1

Alcoholism is a disease that affects people in every society throughout the world, this is a very personal journey of one man's battle with alcohol and the effect that alcoholism had on his life and the lives of his family, friends and employers. His story takes us from Scotland to North America and Asia and describes his morbid obsession and heartbreaking addiction to this powerful and destructive drug. This is a graphic description of active alcoholism and his relapse from sobriety into the downward spiral of chaos and misery that picking up that first, fatal drink after twenty three years of sober living can inflict on the alcoholic.

His journey is often heartbreaking but there is also great hope and the fervent promise of recovery and salvation. This book may also help those who have been affected by a loved ones alcoholic drinking to better understand the desperation and insanity of the performing alcoholics mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:31:59 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 22, 2013 4:57:51 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 11:12:05 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 13, 2012 5:41:37 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 6:14:59 PM PST
Anonymous says:
Hi Gaston! I would be so grateful if you would review my book, MISSION 55. About my Dad's last mission during WWII. Thank you!

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 1:29:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2012 1:37:34 AM PST
Roger Touhy The Stolen Years: Over 100 photographsGaston: If you are interested in an autobiography that has everything -- drama, pathos, humor and, even, a glimpse of history -- I would suggest Roger Touhy's recently re-issued book, "Roger Touhy The Stolen Years". It never got the public exposure it should have when it was first published by Touhy in 1959 because the Chicago Mob tried to keep it out of the hands of the public. Even the Teamsters (who were owned by the Mob) refused to load the book on their trucks and book sellers were intimidated from stocking it. I think it would have been a bestseller back then if it weren't for such terrorism. This updated version has a lot of new information, including the Epilogue which outlines for the reader the sad ending to Touhy. The mob finally got the last word by murdering him to silence him forever.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 10:47:43 PM PST
Utah's Stolen Treasures: The Ancients Are Crying
If you like non fiction please check this one out
This book will be of interest to anyone who likes American History and archeology. It is a different and interesting way of using a biography as a means to approach a topic that should be made known to all people. Remembering the past and honoring those who have gone before us I feel is an essential part of our being. Whose were they anyway; a puzzling unsolved mystery of the North American Continent.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 11:30:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 11:36:49 AM PST
Erik B. Kaye says:
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/174429
Eagles in the flesh is a nonfiction, adventure story, combining men who become birds at will, who soar over Mountains and Jungles, who look upon strange new lands and exotic cultures while flying like eagles and partying like vultures. This wild hang gliding team pushes extreme to new limits, by dancing among Natures updrafts and getting sucked inside thunder storms, breaking aircraft, watching life flash before their eyes dangling under an emergency parachute. Meet the Dinosaurs, Russians, Brazilians, Bikers and the Black Canyon. Encounter car wrecks, bar fights, knife fights, gun play, drug abuse sex and death. eaglesintheflesh.com
Eagles in the flesh: A wild hang gliding adventure.

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 9:08:58 AM PST
Greg says:
This review is from: The Arrogance of Evil (Kindle Edition)
The ones with no wisdom and full of pride, envy, gluttony, lust, anger, sloth, and greed are the ones that possess this evil covetousness and vanity with a craving desire to consume more than they can acquire at the expense of the people, investors, poor, and needy. These are some of our leaders, bankers, CEOs and Wall Street leaders. They are a bunch of little thieves and cowards who are immoral, good for nothing, and self-gratifying, and who illustrate disgusting behaviors and wicked human passions.DOMESTIC FINANCIAL TERRORISTS. They are fixated on themselves and they operate with avarice, sadness, anger, and vanity. They are sloths. This is a very serious problem. A lot of people don't understand the seriousness of their sins towards the poor, the needy, the middle class, and the people that they hurt intentionally because of their selfishness and through their corruption. The devil's mind is locked and cannot escape corruption or greed until he exhausts every mean of distortion via the wicked to claim his victims. The wicked in power follow with misguided decisions and false evidence of his intelligence to falsely prove that his judgment is right every time. The ingredients of this false cocktail distort morality and deliver completely unsafe solutions.
I believe 100% in capitalism, but not in capitalism through corruption and greed

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2013 10:09:41 PM PST
Author says:
Dunwoody Journal: Reflections on Alzheimer's, Mid-Life Obscurity and Everyday Madness. An unusual book dealing with a growing problem: Alzheimer's. But unlike others on the subject the author uses humor to preserve his own sanity while watching his mother's slip away.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 8:27:03 AM PST
Hi Gaston,
I would love you to review the book I had published three months ago. It is the story of the award-winning country music singers who I met after hearing a song of theirs on internet radio. That was the start of a close transatlantic friendship, which in turn led to me writing their biography after I got tired of trying to persuade Jack to write their autobiography. Their story is too fascinating not to be preserved in print.
You can find more about it at In Harmony

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 8:15:34 PM PST
Alwin Kalli says:
My Heritage- Memories of Growing up in Guyana, South America

I am new to blogging. Also a new writer. Writing a new memoir. Any critique would be taken as constructive-for growth.
Al

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 6:50:47 PM PST
You might find my book ROOM AT THE FOOT OF THE BED of interest as a non-fiction story of my family. It is heartwarming, sad, sometimes, funny, but all in all, a true story about an Appalachain family. Please read the sample.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (159 discussions)

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Sep 13, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions