Customer Discussions > Biography forum

WHAT T IS THE BEST BIOGRAPY YOU EVER READ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2013 7:51:27 PM PDT
"Mediocre - Making Fun of Life" by Julie McCulloch Burton.

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 6:48:44 AM PDT
Jeff Marzano says:
Here's a biography about Edgar Cayce, someone who has influenced me a lot.

Story of Edgar Cayce: There Is a River

The most accurate term to describe Edgar Cayce would be a Christian mystic.

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 6:46:25 AM PDT
Jeff Marzano says:
One of the few biographies I have read is:

Here's the Story: Surviving Marcia Brady and Finding My True Voice

That's the autobiography of Maureen McCormick who played Marcia on The Brady Bunch TV show.

I guess I can just show my review below. I gave it 5 stars.

A Lifelong Reality Check, March 17, 2013

This is a book about someone who spent many years trying to reconcile her public persona as a teenage TV star with real life. Not only did the public have an unrealistic perception of what Maureen McCormick's life was like but she herself did also.

Perhaps that's a potential danger of being a celebrity. They may start to become that person on the magazine cover or tabloid newspaper.

Very few people will ever have the freedom, financial resources, and social connections to live the type of lifestyle Maureen fell into after her Brady Bunch years. That descent into heavy drug use and dangerous friendships started when she was still in her late teens.

One of the people she started hanging out with was a major cocaine trafficker. He had trash cans full of coke which he supplied it to the stars and rich kids in Hollywood. People like that are criminals and criminals are unpredictable for many reasons.

Her life spiraled out of control and as Maureen herself says in the prologue this affected her acting career in irreversible ways. She had an appointment with Steven Spielberg to talk about appearing in the movie Raiders Of The Lost Ark which she didn't even bother to show up for. They rescheduled and she hadn't slept for days when she stumbled into this meeting. Spielberg offered her an orange as a hint that she needed to take better care of herself.

She started not showing up on the set for her acting assignments. Plus even when she did show up staying awake for days on end using drugs did not help her acting performances. We will never know how her acting career may have taken a completely different turn if she had at least confined her drug use to a more casual or recreational level. Not that there's any safe level of use for an illegal substance which is manufactured under uncontrolled conditions.

But that's what drugs can do to people. They think they are controlling their drug use but rather the drugs start controlling them. Not to mention just the raw cash she spent on these drugs.

Maureen's mental state remained precarious for many years and she used an anti depressant for a long time. Maybe she still does. She got hooked up with two quack psychiatrists out there in Tinsel Town, one of whom recommended that she start taking LSD which he would supply.

There's a black sheep in Maureen's family which is her brother Kevin. He was no good from a very early age. Maureen implies that Kevin and his drug addict friend conspired with the friend's father to burn down her other brother Michael's night club. Arson is a serious crime. But yet because of her poor judgement Maureen continued to hang out with her evil brother. They went to Hawaii and harvested psychedelic mushrooms together.

The evil brother became part of a weird subplot in the book. He somehow brainwashed their father and together they conspired against Maureen and tried to cheat her out of her share of the family's property and estate. That situation is never totally resolved in the book, perhaps because it is still ongoing. There's something weird going on there with the father that I didn't fully understand.

This is an interesting book and I enjoyed reading it. TV and society were going through massive changes when The Brady Bunch came out. The Brady Bunch got left in a more innocent, bygone era. Maureen got caught up in those societal changes.

Alkalize or Die: Superior Health Through Proper Alkaline-Acid Balance

Asparagus can do it for you!

Scarface (1983) [Blu-ray]

Bewitched: Season One

Columbo: The Complete Series

The Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 10:10:45 AM PST
Agnes Meo says:
There are so many but my recent picks are Barack Obama by David Maraniss & Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. Unbroken is especially wonderful because of the writing and how it captives the reader to go back in time in the story. I marvel at the detail of her writing as if she was actually there experiencing the horrors of what Mr. Zamperini went through in WWII. I also did not realize how bad the Imperial Japanese army treated the American POWs!!!!! Our history focuses on the German atrocities but the Japanese treatment towards all it conquer was just as worse! Great book!!

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 9:50:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2013 9:50:48 AM PST
Life is a good biography by Keith Richards.

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 9:06:44 AM PST
Greg says:
This review is from: The Arrogance of Evil (Kindle Edition)
The ones with no wisdom and full of pride, envy, gluttony, lust, anger, sloth, and greed are the ones that possess this evil covetousness and vanity with a craving desire to consume more than they can acquire at the expense of the people, investors, poor, and needy. These are some of our leaders, bankers, CEOs and Wall Street leaders. They are a bunch of little thieves and cowards who are immoral, good for nothing, and self-gratifying, and who illustrate disgusting behaviors and wicked human passions.DOMESTIC FINANCIAL TERRORISTS. They are fixated on themselves and they operate with avarice, sadness, anger, and vanity. They are sloths. This is a very serious problem. A lot of people don't understand the seriousness of their sins towards the poor, the needy, the middle class, and the people that they hurt intentionally because of their selfishness and through their corruption. The devil's mind is locked and cannot escape corruption or greed until he exhausts every mean of distortion via the wicked to claim his victims. The wicked in power follow with misguided decisions and false evidence of his intelligence to falsely prove that his judgment is right every time. The ingredients of this false cocktail distort morality and deliver completely unsafe solutions.
I believe 100% in capitalism, but not in capitalism through corruption and greed

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 10:22:13 PM PST
Robert Eber says:
Best Biography by far- The Power Broker by Robert Caro about Robert Moses. Second best Truman by David McCullough. Robert Eber

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 9:12:53 AM PST
Charlie Chaplin's autobiography. Hard to find though.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 7:36:32 AM PST
DD1 says:
A Harem Boy's Saga - I: Initiation
This is the best biography ever!! A young boy is inducted into a secret sex society while at boarding school in the UK. He is sent to the Emirates to 'service' the wealthy and elite. Amazing true story!! Warning - Sexually explicit content!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 10:09:46 AM PST
Javier says:
Also try a new memoir: Tulipano - A Story of Wartime Italy - 1944-45.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 12:06:57 PM PST
Anne Salazar says:
SINCLAIR LEWIS: REBEL FROM MAIN STREET by Lingeman

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 10:22:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2012 10:23:29 PM PDT
Easy question. I absolutely loved the biography "Tahirih". The true story of a woman in the mid-1800s in Persia who was martyred for her faith and her belief in equality of the sexes as was taught by her faith. The last words she spoke, in 1852, right before jealous authorities had her strangled were, "You can kill me but you can not stop the emancipation of women." Then they strangled her and threw her body down a well in Persia where it is still today. Her sacrifice, unknown to many today, provided the impetus for women's rights in today's world.
There are various books about her life. She was a poetess and her poetry has been translated and published. Here are a few books about her extraordinary life and how she gave her life so the world could know about her new Faith which started in 1844 in Persia.
Tahirih: A Poetic Vision
Tahirih
Tahirih Unveiled

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 12:09:41 PM PDT
Probably the biography of Lindsey Lohan "You Can Put Me In Jail, But You Can't Keep My Face From Breaking Out."

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 12:06:04 PM PDT
vespasian says:
Peter, What a small world. Ive always been interested in the Monitor since HS and. when if Fla , always went to Hems house in KW. I became a big Hem fan and have read most og his books and also developed and interest in the designer, Erickson. thanx for the info--ill lookit up..vesp

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 9:14:05 AM PDT
greenpete says:
I use quotes from William Keeler in my book. He was also on another blockade gunboat, the USS Florida.

I love reading about ships and the sea. You might enjoy Carl Cutler's "Queens of the Western Ocean," as well as his "Greyhounds of the Sea." Both are definitive overviews of old packet ships and clippers, respectively. My book has a lot about the Civil War federal navy, especially logistics of the North Atlantic Blockade.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 3:04:47 PM PDT
Will Lutwick says:
Unbroken by Lauren Hillebrand.

Second is Dodging Machetes: How I Survived Forbidden Love, Bad Behavior, and the Peace Corps in Fiji

Check out these recent reviews from the pros:
"In his beautifully written memoir...he shares thoughtful insight into Fiji's exotic history and society...Off-the-charts hysterical. An unabashed, candid memoir that continually entertains and educates."
--KIRKUS REVIEWS

"An eye-opening story about love, loss, and discrimination...Not only is this an exciting memoir, but it's a great modern day Romeo and Juliet tale. You can tell that this book was a passionate labor of love. Each page is as addicting as the last, with great emotional elements driving the story. This is a great book for those looking for a well-rounded love story with a few laughs and a lot of heart." Five Stars.
--SAN FRANCISCO BOOK REVIEW

Check it out...
Dodging Machetes: How I Survived Forbidden Love, Bad Behavior, and the Peace Corps in Fiji

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 6:28:20 AM PDT
vespasian says:
Peter, While in the Navy, I joined thee naval institue press. They have some fine, hard to get books.In 1964 I ordered and read "Aboard the USS Monitor: 1862., and a book , which ive misplaced called "Japanese Destroyer Captain". I forget the guy names They are both gret books. The Monitor is by William Keeler ( not Wee Willie). I was aboard ship from 64 t0 67 and the millage allowance for officers in the 1960s was 10cents per mile. In the 1860s it was also 10 cents per mile!!! vessp

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 9:23:42 PM PDT
Although not a biography, per say, PANDORA HER BOX AND HER DADDY'S CURSE is book everyone should read Pandora, her Box and her Daddy's Curse

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 6:39:18 PM PDT
greenpete says:
Thank you, vespasian! My publisher is actually University of Alabama Press. However, I visited the US Naval Institute during my research, and they're in my bibliography. Take care, and thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 9:33:40 AM PDT
vespasian says:
peter, I do like those things. Ill lookit up..vesp ps was this published by the US Naval Institute press. They publish some fine stuff...

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 9:29:56 AM PDT
greenpete says:
Mind if I plug my own book? "Bluejackets in the Blubber Room" is a biography, but a little different. It profiles a 19th century American sailing ship. It may not belong in the "Best" category, but I think it has appeal to both academics and a general audience. If you like ships, the sea, history, American Civil War...you might enjoy it! Thanks, and sorry for the shameless sales pitch!

Bluejackets in the Blubber Room: A Biography of the William Badger, 1828-1865

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 4:46:07 AM PDT
Babsy13 says:
The books I like to read are biographies, memoirs, and auto-biographies...here are just a few....well, maybe more then just a few!!! They were all page turners and left a lasting impression on me. I hope you enjoy.

[ASIN:0312374631 And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic, 20th-Anniversary Edition]]
Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman
I Never Saw Another Butterfly
Nicholas and Alexandra
Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China
Diary of Anne Frank (Longman Imprint Books)
The Executioner's Song
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
By McBride, James The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother (10th Anniverary Edition) 10th anniversary Edition Paperback
A Civil Action
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: The Illustrated Edition: An Indian History of the American West (The Illustrated Editions)
Wait Till Next Year - A Memoir
Sunflower

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 10:51:36 PM PDT
The Trapp family by Maria Von Trapp

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 6:22:59 PM PDT
Try biographies by Walter Isaacson. He is an amazing biographer with biographies about Steve Jobs, Albert Einstein, Henry Kissinger, and others. Great writer.

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 11:07:26 AM PDT
Tgatwwek says:
A Team if Rivals. Easily the best biography of Lincoln I've read. Lots of interesting stories within a story...and yes, it IS a page-turner. Who else has read this and enjoyed it? Goodwin is a first-rate biographer. Up there with David McCullough. If you like history and historical figures, you'll love this one!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 47 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  765
Total posts:  1159
Initial post:  Dec 31, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 82 customers

Search Customer Discussions