There are so many to choose from that I can't narrow it down to one, so I'll give a top 10
1. Boswell's "Life of Johnson" - still a terrific read over two centuries later, full of great anecdotes, humor, wise aphorisms, and keen observations about a remarkable man. The book paints Johnson "warts and all".
2. "Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali - this is a "page turner" that is revealing of the life of a remarkable woman from a Muslim east African origin.
3. "Truman" by David McCullough - a beautifully researched and engagingly told story about a remarkable president and man of integrity
4. "A Beautiful Mind" by Sylvia Nasar (about mathematician/Nobel prize winner John Nash) - two paragraphs into the book and you are hooked.
5. "The Kennedys" by Peter Collier and David Horowitz - a fair and revealing look at a famous family, with their desires to improve the world yet all too human moral failings; The style of writing is easy to follow and the reporting is quite honest.
6. "The Agony and the Ecstasy" by Irving Stone - a wonderful biography about the gifted yet troubled genius Michelangelo
7. "Pablo Neruda" by Adam Feinstein - a thoughtful, reflective account about the famous Chilean poet/statesmen and his work.
8. "Albert Schweitzer" by James Brabazon - a sympathetic account about a an amazing man, his work in music, and in missionary medicine
9. "Jack: C.S. Lewis and his times" by George Sayer - A fine account by a good friend about a prolific writer
10. "Geronimo" by Angie Debo - a superb biography of the Apache leader's life
Recent discussions in the Biography forum (159 discussions)
|Best biographies under 400 pages?||47||Jan 23, 2015|
|Judicial biographies anyone?||63||Apr 30, 2014|
|Great Bio for the Traveler!||4||Oct 14, 2013|
|Bio's about growing up||194||Oct 14, 2013|
|Looking for a good memoir||282||Oct 14, 2013|
|What are some of the best biographies of women you've ever read.||278||Oct 13, 2013|
|January First by Michael Schofield (not yet published - due 2012)||113||Aug 16, 2013|
|What is the best autobiograghy you have ever read?||65||Jul 29, 2013|
|Need a good biography!||206||Jul 21, 2013|
|what is the best biography you've ever read?||1117||Jul 20, 2013|
|The best bio I have ever read - seriously||59||Jul 17, 2013|
|Could Not Put It Down||6||Jul 17, 2013|