Customer Discussions > Biography forum

Do you Know any great True Prison Stories?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2011 12:19:43 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 6, 2011 7:38:03 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 12:36:27 PM PST
the one your talking about I wrote Glad you liked it!

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 12:50:52 AM PST
E. Obata says:
_Orange is the New Black_ by Piper Kerman.
Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 11:01:17 AM PST
Mickey Mills says:
Final Approach - Northwest Airlines Flight 650, Tragedy and Triumph

This is a story about NW Airlines pilot Lyle Prouse who was busted for flying drunk. His arrest on March 8th of 1990 made headlines around the globe. Lyle was one of the first pilots to serve time in federal prison under a new federal law mandating alcohol consumption and allowable blood alcohol levels before flight.

Despite layers of sanctions that ensured he would never fly again, Lyle turned his life around and returned to Northwest where he retired as a 747 Captain on international flights, the top role of any commercial pilot.

His biography is a story of unlikely success and absolute failure with a redemption few are able to achieve. Captain Lyle Prouse flew jet fighters in Vietnam. His unlikely rise through the Marine Corps enlisted ranks to make officer would be difficult in today's Corps. He carried himself with honor through the dishonorable circumstances of his arrest. He became the butt of jokes from late night hosts Jay Leno and David Letterman.

The judge who sentenced Lyle to prison ultimately became his biggest supporter and pushed for a presidential pardon. In January of 2001 he received the "Executive Grant of Clemency" one of the last orders of business of outgoing President Bill Clinton.

The forward of Lyle's autobiography is beautifully written by Ted Koppel.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2011 1:28:12 PM PST
J. Hurd says:
Death Blossoms by Mumia Abu Jamal. This is a collection of essays by political prisoner and internationally acclaimed journalist Mumia Abu-Jamal. Mumia has written several books including essays on various social and political issues, and biographical works. This is the best one to describe life on death row. He is a great writer and Death Blossoms is probably my favorite book by him.

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 12:23:53 PM PST
Coast-rider says:
Hello. Please check out the true crime novel written by Texas death-row inmate JOSEPH GARCIA, formerly of the notorious prison gang known as THE TEXAS SEVEN. Here is the title ...

A CRY IN THE WILDERNESS ... The Raw Confessions of Texas Seven's Joseph Garcia.

He wrote it himself and he would appreciate your reviews. Thanks.

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 6:14:38 PM PST
zenhobo2 says:
You Got Nothing Coming: Notes From a Prison Fish, by Jimmy A. Lerner. This is a great true story of life in a Nevada prison.

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 8:30:46 PM PST
Tortured For Christ by Richard Wurmbrand. He spend 14 years in Communist Romanian prisons for not compromising his faith in the midst of persecution. Also talks about life behind the Iron Curtain. These others I have not read but have heard great things about them. One Day In The Life of Ivan Denisovitch and The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. He won the Nobel Peace Prize. Letters and Papers From Prison by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. He was a preacher who resisted Nazi influence. The House of the Dead by Fyodor Dostoyevsky is a novel based on his four years in prison. He was pardoned at the last moment while he was on his way to the firing squad to then be exiled.

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 12:18:16 PM PST
Gary Revel says:
Not a prison story as a whole but has a prison story in it. I go into my meetings with James Earl Ray and my investigation of the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.

TO LIVE OR MAYBE NOT

An autobiographical memoir by Gary Revel

To Live Or Maybe Not: Autobiographical Work of Gary Revel

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 3:37:10 PM PST
Ward Burton says:
MARKING TIME BY GEORGE CLIVE HOOK

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 4:12:36 PM PST
zenhobo2 says:
Another good one is In the Belly of the Beast, by Jack Henry Abbott.

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 4:50:48 PM PST
N. Schnidman says:
Have you read this:

http://www.examiner.com/photojournalist-in-tampa-bay/an-interview-with-jeff-ashton-prosecuting-attorney-of-the-casey-anthony-trial-1

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 8:30:40 AM PST
Mickey Mills says:
Final Approach - Northwest Airlines Flight 650, Tragedy and Triumph

This is the personal memoir of Northwest Airlines pilot Lyle Prouse. You may remember Lyle's arrest and subsequent conviction of flying while intoxicated. He was the pilot of Northwest Flight 650 from Fargo, ND., to Minneapolis, Minn., on March 8, 1990. He and his crew were out drinking together the previous evening and were reported to the authorities by someone at the bar.

What happened after that became fodder for the world news media, late night talk show hosts, and headlines everywhere. He was convicted in the court of public opinion long before the trial. At trial Lyle was convicted and sentenced to 16 months in the federal prison system.

His amazing story of tragedy and triumph is not to be missed. Lyle received a presidential pardon from outgoing president Bill Clinton in 2001.

The forward to this wonderful book is written by Ted Koppel.

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 10:45:05 AM PST
procanlit says:
I would really suggest that you read "New Jack: Guarding Sing Sing" by Ted Conover. The author had wanted to write a story about a year in the life of new prison recruits but they would not let him. So, he went and applied and did the job himself. It's funny, insightful and witty.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2011 3:53:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2011 3:56:00 PM PST
The poster seems to be an inmate junkie who is trying to put a nice POV on a guy who should not see the light of any day. I do not believe in the death penalty but life w/out ever getting out applies to this creature. I will never understand the women and men who want control of another so badly that they will put their lives and families in a dark place.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 7:08:04 PM PST
Mark Benney, who was an early pollster, spent some of his early years in Borstal, British juvenile jails. He became friends with Wells and Orwell. Low Company,. not easy to get hold of, is his book

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 2:12:40 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 20, 2011 2:19:22 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 10:34:18 AM PST
James Windeck, M.D.
I have written PRISON DOCTOR telling of my experiences working for 3 years in a prison.
Prison Doctor

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 6:44:16 AM PST
Danny Cole has written HELL'S HIGHWAY, describing when he served time in the Delaware State Penitentiary, sentenced as an adult at age sixteen. Later sent back.

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 6:14:35 PM PST
Try this book: Fighting Castro: A Love Story [Paperback]
Kay Abella (Author)

"The true story of a young Cuban doctor imprisoned by Castro as a resistance leader. His wife must choose between staying in Cuba to help her husband survive prison and taking their three young children to freedom in Miami. The book intertwines the story of his iron will in enduring Castro's brutality with his wife's struggles in a deteriorating Havana where she is treated as the wife of a traitor. A portrait of life under Castro and of an extraordinary couple whose relationship evolves and deepens as they live with the consequences of their decisions. Kay Abella is a professional journalist, author, and editor who has been a magazine journalist in New York and in France where she worked as a translator and journalist for the Chicago Tribune. She has published two non-fiction books, one on professional development and one on Jungian type. She is now a full-time writer of fiction and nonfiction, living in Connecticut with her Cuban-American husband. www.kayabella.com"

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 6:03:27 PM PST
working rich says:
Just a true story from a friend who was a MD and captain in the South Vietnamese Army. After the victory from the North how he spent 2 years in Prison/concentration camp eating dirty rice and rats. Eventual escape to Singapore and finally to USA where he worked 2 more years pumping gas in Texas (to support his family)until his papers and credentials were straightened out.
Guy is so humble , I have known him for over 20 years and only found this out a few months ago.
Would any of us have been able to take it?

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 7:21:16 PM PST
Jail Tips
Tells you about the whole experience of what to expect when you get arrested. From booking to processing and many tips including behavioral and avoiding trouble.

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 3:12:16 PM PST
K. Haigh says:
I read and loved this book form Jimmy Lerner

You Got Nothing Coming

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 5:53:36 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 29, 2011 6:04:17 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 6:02:38 PM PST
H. Massa says:
Placer City Underground ("OG" Casanova's Crime Saga Book 1)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (159 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions