Customer Discussions > Biography forum

WHAT T IS THE BEST BIOGRAPY YOU EVER READ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 22, 2009 7:56:42 PM PDT
Owen Semple says:
"Chasing the Flame: Sergio Vieira de Mello and the Fight to Save the World"
by Samantha Powers

Posted on Aug 1, 2009 6:23:17 PM PDT
Harpo Speaks!

Harpo Speaks by Harpo Marx. Ok, technically an autobiography, but one of the best books I've ever read. He writes about growing up in NY, making movies, meeting all manner of people, celebrities, writers, critics, etc., including those frequenting the round table at the Algonquin Hotel, playing croquet anywhere and everywhere, house parties with the likes of Hearst at San Simeon, meeting the beautiful Susan, who would become his wife, and raising a happy family of adopted kids. It's extremely entertaining, funny, sad, heartwarming, touching, and wise.

Posted on Aug 1, 2009 6:38:58 PM PDT
That's easy. "Radical Son", by David Horowitz. Reading this book is almost like living through the radical, tumultuous '60s. Big changes, big ideas, big names, and you're right in the middle of it. It's rare that an autobiography is a page-turner, but you can't put this one down.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2009 8:22:22 AM PDT
cytoplasmic says:
bingo, Miles by Miles Davis. I am reading it now.

And Desert Queen by Janet Wallach.

And everything by Richard Feynman:
The Meaning of It All; Surely you must be joking; and What Do You Care What Other People Think?

Posted on Dec 4, 2009 7:29:01 PM PST
E. Fretz says:
For many many years my favorite biography was Anthony Caro's biography of Robert Moses, "The Power Broker." Even better than the great Tony Cliff four volume political biography of Trotsky. But I've just finished Janet Browne's two volume "Charles Darwin" Biography, and have to say that has surpassed the others to become by favorite. I'm looking forwards to reading Eric Fretz's biography of Jean-Michel Basquiat.

Posted on Dec 4, 2009 7:44:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2009 6:18:40 PM PST
Eichmann in Jerusalem by Hannah Arendt

Posted on Dec 4, 2009 10:25:24 PM PST
Literary Outlaw: The Biography of William S. Burroughs

Posted on Dec 5, 2009 6:19:11 PM PST
Diane Arbus by Patricia Bosworth

Posted on Dec 6, 2009 5:35:21 AM PST
Ange says:
Imagine: A Vagabond Story by Grant Lingel.

Imagine: A Vagabond Story

Posted on Dec 6, 2009 6:27:51 PM PST
Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War
by Robert Coram
The Boyd's contribution of the OODA loop will be as revered as Sun Tzu 20 centuries from now, and this book gives an even-handed story, warts and all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2009 6:55:03 PM PST
I also liked Lemay: The Life and Wars of General Curtis Lemay by Warren Kozak

Posted on Dec 6, 2009 8:10:58 PM PST
Boswell's life of Johnson. The first, and still the greatest.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2009 3:12:19 AM PST
I second that.

Posted on Dec 7, 2009 11:13:34 AM PST
MCL says:
The Autobiography of Malcolm X. A searing, exciting, and honest historical documentation of a black man, who lived a life on the edge, until he found a niche with the Black Muslims. Unfortunately, he learned that there was corruption and misuse of power by his hero the BM leader Elijah Muhammad. He converted to the Muslim religion and became El-Haij Malik El-Shabazz after a religious migration to Mecca. He came back to America a changed man. He repudiated the Black Muslims and their philosophy. Unfortunately, just as he was ready to form a union with Civil Rights leaders, Africans and other allies, he was brutally assassinated in front of his wife and children while giving a speech at Harlem's Audubon Ballroom.

His father killed in a brutal fashion by the Klan. His mother allegedly broken, when she was committed to an asylum. He and his siblings split up, in affect by the rampant white racism of that time. He was shipped off to live with a sister in Illinois. There he grew up to be a thief, a con man and convicted felon. As a young boy Malcolm X dared not have dreams and goals beyond the ones determined for him by whites. He grew up to be a man who gave his life to advocacy. He is a hero to many. Fortunately, his life was redeemed because of his love and championing of the rights of blacks in America. He paid for that passion for justice with his life, just as his father before him did with his.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2009 12:25:09 PM PST
tor says:
Most historians now think Malcolm X padded his autobiography to make it more readable. They think his father was probably killed by a jealous husband whose wife he was fooling around with and that Malcolm X's criminal past wasn't quiet as serious as he portrays it in the book.

Posted on Dec 7, 2009 8:09:51 PM PST
G-Money says:
An ever intriguing cultural William S. Burroughs. Terrific Bio entitled "Literary Outlaw." Amazingly researched and well penned by Ted Morgan. Henry Holt & co. First Edition October (actually Sept.30) 1988.

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 10:30:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2009 10:35:25 AM PST
Jlem says:
"Where Is Home? Stories from the Life of a Jewish-German Emigre" by Gad Granach (memoir/autobiography). A life that spans upheavals in Germany to Israel told by engaging and charismatic bon-vivant. Unforgettable.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2009 10:56:13 PM PST
Is "Curious George" the name of the book? I can't seem to find it.

Posted on Dec 10, 2009 5:06:02 AM PST
PAINTEDLIGHT says:
"the Adventure of English" - the Biography of a Language by Melvyn Bragg
an epic adventure spanning 100s of years and many continents, a very interesting read and education

Posted on Dec 10, 2009 1:36:26 PM PST
Taliaferro: Breaking Barriers.

Posted on Dec 11, 2009 5:41:32 AM PST
Jeremy says:
The Devil Drives - the Victorian-era explorer, linguist, anthropologist and writer Sir Richard Burton

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2009 9:51:33 AM PST
"Say It with Music" by Barbara Seuling.
Biography that reads like an exciting novel, about the singer Jane Froman.

Posted on Dec 11, 2009 1:40:36 PM PST
William R Hearst Jr's book on his Father , WR Hears Sr was great. He did a good job of not white washing his Dad and yet he tried so hard to be fair and objective. When it is a family member, I think objective is a hard thing to be. Leatrice Gilbert Fountains's book on her father, silent screen star John Gilbert was a good read.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2009 10:39:27 AM PST
Murder in the Vatican: The Revolutionary Life of John Paul and The CIA, Opus Dei and the 1978 Murders

Murder in the Vatican - Lucien Gregoire is the most interesting I've read. The lidfe and unfortunate death of this short-lived pope who intended to lift the retsraints unfairly placed on the everyday lives of many innocent people.

Posted on Dec 12, 2009 4:49:26 PM PST
Doc Holliday: The Life and legend by Gary L. Roberts.
A must read for fans of the American Wild West
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 47 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (159 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  765
Total posts:  1159
Initial post:  Dec 31, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 82 customers

Search Customer Discussions