Showing 151-175 of 283 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 27, 2012 2:00:22 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 27, 2012 2:10:06 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 6:36:20 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 2, 2012 6:43:41 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 10:44:13 AM PST
JEV says:
Julia Vosper says:
You can try this one. It's a fairly new one.
Island Boyhood: A Memoir

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012 10:42:38 AM PST
Inge Wagner says:
Bitte lesen sie The Paper American, by Lina Rudel

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012 10:45:02 AM PST
Inge Wagner says:
Bitte lesen sie: The Paper American, by Lina Rudel

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012 10:46:39 AM PST
Inge Wagner says:
Bitte lesen sie: The Paper American, by Lina Rudel

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012 10:51:41 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 10, 2012 11:15:13 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012 1:17:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2012 1:18:36 PM PST
LibertyReader,

Children from foster care. This one starts that way and it's a good ond.
The Invisible Thread: A Journey Home

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012 1:56:36 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 4, 2012 8:52:08 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012 1:57:54 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 4, 2012 8:52:03 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 4:39:05 AM PST
SLT says:
Hi everyone - If you know anyone that is ADHD or gifted, I would LOVE for you to check out my Memoir; Here's to Not Catching Our Hair on Fire: An Absent-Minded Tale of Life with Giftedness and Attention Deficit - Oh Look! A Chicken! IT'S FREE 2/11 - 2/13. I do encourage reviews. :) A belly-laugh inducing romp through a life so convoluted and chaotic you know it has to be true, Stacey Turis's debut gives a voice to the genius yet tormented souls suffering from giftedness, ADHD, or a combination of both (a condition known as twice-exceptional) who are too afraid to speak. Here's to Not Catching Our Hair on Fire: An Absent-Minded Tale of Life with Giftedness and Attention Deficit - Oh Look! A Chicken!

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 2:04:16 PM PST
You might be interested in my memoir "MY HERO, MY DING...a Memoir of a Girl and Her Grandfather". It takes place over many years, but the bulk of the book focuses on growing up with a wonderful role model...my grandfather. Two ordinary people with an extraordinary bond! It's here on Amazon or you can check out my website lisatortorello.tateauthor.com

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:30:07 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 14, 2012 9:20:44 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 5:30:05 AM PST
BRONTOSAURUS by Leanne Grabel. A true page-turner.

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 10:15:06 AM PST
Inge Wagner says:
How about: The Paper American, by, Lina Rudel?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 10:16:36 AM PST
Inge Wagner says:
Wie waehre es mit: The Paper American, by, Lina Rudel?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 10:39:33 AM PST
Inge Wagner says:
Also check, The Paper American, by, Lina Rudel

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 12:13:10 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 22, 2012 12:19:10 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 1:00:11 PM PST
I'd recommend The Nurse's Story. It was based on several nurses and their stories. So it isn't exactly a biography but I thought maybe you would still be interested in it. The stories are told beautifully; very well written. It is a quick and easy read, but at the same time moving and insightful. Carol Gino dared to go to certain depths of humanity we don't get to read about often-I never knew how interesting nursing was or how rough until I read this book. Not being a nurse didn't stop me from getting it & loving it! Did anyone else here read this?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 6:37:49 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on May 27, 2012 10:32:23 AM PDT]

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 3:27:24 PM PST
dang says:
Dancing out of darkness was a compelling book! I couldn't put it down when I started to read it. I found it so easy to read and it held me to the end. You felt like you were on the journey with the author and it was great how you get to hear all of her inner thought processes along the way. This book was very honest and transparent and the author wasn't afraid of revealing ways of being and thinking that didn't lead to life. It was useful to see where different theology led to and how it didn't set her free and how she became free when the new revelations broke on her when she experienced God's love and grace. I believe this book will touch people from many different walks of life as it explores depression, high expectations that are put upon a person, religious ideas that don't lead to life, sexual assault, grief and loss of a loved one, marriage and the complexities of this and what makes this work, the human services careers and people's quest for peace and fulfilment. It also looks at how some-one changes as they experiences new revelation on their faith journey. It ends with a spiel about what the Good News is which is very uplifting and inspired. This book encouraged me in my faith and reinforced that 'with God all things are possible!'

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 3:47:19 PM PST
From a recommendation on this post by Chris Merrick I just read The Invisible Thread: A Journey Home.
The recommendation was mentioned a few times on this posting so I thought I'd give it a try. I've got to say that I never expected anything this good. I couldn't put it down as I went from state to state and country to country with this determined girl who grows into a young woman. And it takes place mostly in Ireland. Love it! Recommend it!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 8:51:19 PM PST
Ingrid Ricks says:
Have you read Lost Boy? It's the second of three powerful memoirs about a child who lived through horrid child abuse and then a rough foster care situation.

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 9:08:05 AM PST
Memoir about diving with Cousteau. Frogmen: The True Story of My Journeys With Captain Jacques-Yves Cousteau and the Crew of Calypso

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 9:13:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2012 9:16:19 AM PST
Araminta says:
The person who started this thread asked for recommendations for books about kids who were raised in foster care. Out of 173 posts here, I have seen maybe 5 or 6 that relate to the topic. The rest are off-topic and/or are people who've written their own memoirs and are using this forum to shamelessly peddle their self-published works. The original poster did not ask for memoirs about drug abuse, bi-polar disorder, yoga teachers, religious epiphanies etc. She/he asked for books about CHILDREN RAISED IN FOSTER CARE. Good grief. On that note, even though it is a work of fiction, I'd recommend "White Oleander" by Janet Fitch, which was also made into a movie.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (159 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  210
Total posts:  283
Initial post:  Jul 1, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 47 customers

Search Customer Discussions