Customer Discussions > Biography forum

Looking for a good memoir

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 283 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 13, 2012 5:27:55 PM PDT
KOMET says:
A few days ago, I finished reading the autobiography Father, Son & Co.: My Life at IBM and Beyond by Thomas J. Watson, Jr. It's TERRIFIC, one of the best autobiographies I've ever read!

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 8:57:05 AM PDT
"Death Watch Diary" is the memoir of Robert Towery who was executed by the State of Arizona on March 8, 2012. It's $.99 on amazon Kindle. For the last 35 days of his life, Robert was placed on "Death Watch" where his every move was recorded and chronicled by prison officials. Robert also kept a diary which he gave or mailed to his attorneys as installments. He detailed the ironies and absurdities of life in prison. Robert's words are powerful; it will make you think!

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 12:42:32 PM PDT
I don't wanta wear out my welcome here, but folks tell me "It's Not My Mountain Anymore" is a pretty good memoir.
Here's a few reviews for your consideration:
"What a VOICE!..." Andrea Robinson, Random House
"A novel full of passion, soul and powerful writing..." Appalachian Voice

" Simple and yet so full of deep emotions. Himor and wisdom are packed in the pages..." ...Camp Dixie
"Utterly captivating. This is a paperback wrapper filled with pure gold."...Sharon Hopkins, Author

Read more on Amazon or the website: www.itsnotmymountainanymore.com

Well.. thanks!! Hope to share this book with you.

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 3:47:57 PM PDT
Acamea says:
My memoir has just recently been published and is available in all formats on Amazon. Life, Love, and Lack Thereof begins with my brother and me being starved for two weeks as children, by our mother. The story continues on to decipher through the fall-out, the recovery, and the redemption from this event. If you check it out, I'd love to know what you think. Life, Love, and Lack Thereof: A Story of Unbreakable bonds and Un-bondable Breaks

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 1:47:31 PM PDT
K. Dicciani says:
Read this memoir called The Seven Year Spliff a day ago in one sitting. Pretty dark, funny and entertaining. It's about a kid in a haze of pot growing up, going to high school, college (failing out), culinary school, and a big university all while being lost and stoned and dealing with crippling social anxiety. Definitely recommend it.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 2:18:00 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 3, 2012 2:28:05 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 5:17:30 PM PDT
You shoukld check out "Convinced by the Impossible"...It would really help anyone who is suffering from depression. Amazing read and true story!

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 7:42:46 PM PDT
Mickey Ryan says:
ALL SOULS by Michael Patrick MacDonald

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 8:55:37 PM PDT
GC says:
I just published my book, "I Wouldn't Change a Thing", which is an engaging story about how a teenager overcomes a disability to live an ordinary life. Glenn Campbell was sixteen when a near fatal bicycle accident left him paralyzed from the neck down. His life was set on a seemingly unnavigable course. After a long period of rehabilitation and recovery, Glenn strived to maintain a positive attitude. While there have been many moments throughout that his faith and determination had been tested, he candidly reveals how he overcame those challenges. With the support of loving family, friends and an ever-growing faith, Glenn remained determined to build a life that he could call his own. In the end, you will see how he accepted this life-changing event by cherishing the life he now has.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 5:58:57 AM PDT
KOMET says:
I highly recommend the memoir "SLIPSTREAM" by Elizabeth Jane Howard, a fantastic writer.

SUMMARY
'Elizabeth Jane Howard has written 12 highly regarded novels, most recently "Falling". Her Cazalet Chronicles have become established as modern classics and have been filmed by the BBC. She has been married three times - firstly to Peter Scott, the naturalist and son of the Antarctic explorer Captain Robert Falcon Scott, and most famously and tempestuously to Kingsley Amis. It was Amis' son by another marriage, Martin, to whom she introduced the works of Jane Austen and ensured that he received the education that would be the grounding of his own literary career. Her closest friends have included some of the greatest writers and thinkers of the day - Laurie Lee, Arthur Koestler and cecil Day-Lewis, among others. Honest and unflinching, this book illuminates the literary world of the latter half of the 20th century, as well as giving a personal insight into the life of Elizabeth Jane Howard.'

Slipstream

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 7:39:44 AM PDT
Kathy says:
Another memoir along the lines of The Glass Castle is Change Me into Zeus's Daughter: A Memoir by Barbara Robinette Moss.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 8:09:29 AM PDT
Pat Saxon says:
Soft Snap is free today

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 1:45:27 PM PDT
August Gale: A Father and Daughter's Journey into the Storm

In August Gale, Barbara Walsh-who has interviewed killers, bad cops, and crooked politicians in the course of her career-faces the most challenging story of her lifetime: asking her father about his childhood pain. In the process, she takes readers on two heartrending odysseys: one into a deadly Newfoundland hurricane and the lives of schooner fishermen who relied on God and the wind to carry them home. The other, into a squall stirred by a man with many secrets: a grandfather who remained a mystery until long after his death.

Sixty-eight years after the hurricane that claimed several of her ancestors, Walsh searches for memories of the August gale and the grandfather who abandoned her dad as a young boy. Together, she and her father journey to Newfoundland to learn about the 1935 storm, and along the way her dad begins to talk about the man he cannot forgive. As she recreates the scenes of the violent hurricane and a small boy's tender past, she holds onto a hidden desire: to heal her father and redeem the grandfather she has never met.

"Like The Perfect Storm, Barbara Walsh's book vividly captures the fishermen who fought for their lives in an unforgiving sea. Her quest to redeem and understand her grandfather is a powerful story that will resonate with fathers, daughters and sons. August Gale is a haunting
journey that readers will long remember." - Kate Braestrup, New York Times bestselling author of Here If You Need Me.

"A wonderfully written tale of the sea and a far flung village of people surviving on the edge of the world, Barbara Walsh has plucked a historical event out of time and filled it with an emotional breadth rarely found in documentary or memoir writing." - Jonathon King, Edgar Award-winning mystery author.
"Barbara Walsh's lyrical story of her father and their journey into the tempest is gripping, heartwarming - and memorable. A terrific read." - Jackie MacMullan, former Sports Illustrated and Boston Globe writer and author of Magic and Bird: Basketball's Awed Couple.

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 6:07:54 AM PDT
Racing for Recovery From Addict to Ironman www.RacingforRecovery.com

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 4:58:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 7, 2012 5:30:03 AM PDT
Missing the Mark: A Target Child Speaks by Keith Hoerner on Amazon
You Tube Video (Copy and Paste in Address Bar):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skl3oh4FCb0

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 7:55:40 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 21, 2012 1:26:57 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 5:32:10 PM PDT
Poked and Prodded- A Humorous Medical Memoir

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 7:05:16 AM PDT
Not foster care, but with a host of other relatives: Black-eyed Susan Among the Roses, author Gervais

Posted on May 7, 2012 12:39:13 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012 1:11:17 PM PDT]

Posted on May 10, 2012 2:48:15 PM PDT
Forgotten Faces of India

Posted on May 10, 2012 5:36:37 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 29, 2012 1:59:37 PM PDT]

Posted on May 13, 2012 12:54:39 PM PDT
This is a story about a man. A man who felt he had developed a potentially life-threatening sickness, only to be told "you're fine". This is a story about this man's struggle to deal with and overcome this all-too-common medical drama. Poked and Prodded- A Humorous Medical Memoir

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 8:02:00 PM PDT
K. Tingle says:
The Girl in the Italian Bakery is a good one.

Posted on May 13, 2012 9:16:54 PM PDT
Busy Bear says:
Check out Falling By Clint Pearson

Posted on May 15, 2012 7:02:48 AM PDT
Rick Terr says:
millennium mysterium by benny lux. read it BEFORE the comet appears later this year if you want a headstart on everyone else
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  210
Total posts:  283
Initial post:  Jul 1, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 47 customers

Search Customer Discussions