Customer Discussions > Biography forum

Looking for a good memoir

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 283 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 1, 2011 5:24:55 PM PDT
Interested in memoirs by people raised in foster care. Any recommendations?

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 2:08:33 PM PDT
rrp777 says:
Manic Episodes and the Dark Side: a Memoir of a Bipolar Life

BIPOLAR HOPE -
Manic Episodes and the Dark Side -
a Memoir of a Bipolar Life.

Always focus on a project. Take a course, write a memoir, etc. My attempt at a book is finally in print. The year-long process was the most cathartic experience in my 34 years as a manic depressive.
It has made friends and relatives much more understanding toward me, as well as helping me understand my own life. I am interacting with my loved ones again instead of being ashamed of past episodes and avoiding the reminder of them.
The book itself may be helpful to you or a loved one, and encourage you to write one too.

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 10:04:39 AM PDT
"Zehn Schutzengel und ein Kübel" ist die Lebensgeschichte des Autors, der den Zweiten Weltkrieg in Nazideutschland als jugendlicher überlebte. Von dem Nervenkitzel der wiederholten entkommenen Gefahren als Kind und jugendlicher bis hin zum 15 Jahre alten Soldaten der deutschen Wehrmacht. Die Übernahme durch die SS und die gefährliche Desertion von seinen Häschern. Schließlich die abenteuerlichen Reisen des 16 Jahre alten Jungen, der versucht seine Familie vor dem Hungertod zu retten.
Dieses Werk ist die, von dem Autor übersetzte deutsche Fassung, des in englisch erschienenen Buches ‚Ten Guardian Angels and a Tin Tub' und sollte nicht ausnahmslos eine Autobiographie darstellen, sondern auch die historischen Ereignisse der damaligen Zeit. Der Autor möchte vor allem die jüngeren Generationen darüber aufklären was wirklich vor und während des zweiten Weltkrieg in Deutschland vor sich ging. Daß die Menschen nur bestrebt waren ihren Lebensstandard zu verbessern und in diesem Verlauf von barbarischen Politikern irregeleitet wurden. Es war die ruchlose Ausnutzung eines Volkes, das sich aus dem Joch des Versailles Vertrags befreien wollte. Keine Gesellschaft ist immune, wenn arglistige Politiker die Notlagen eines Volkes ausnutzen
Ten Guardian Angels and a Tin TubZehn Schutzengel und ein Zink Kübel (German Edition)

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 10:55:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2011 10:58:01 AM PDT
Kalanchoe says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 11:34:44 AM PDT
Kalanchoe says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 5:46:10 AM PDT
Jann Burner says:
Read a book called MOTOR ZEN, part two in a series called The Journal of A Perimeter Man by Jann Burner. The guy drove a taxi on the night shift in San Francisco and actually "took notes". Very interesting observations on modern life and on his life.

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 6:31:48 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 19, 2011 6:57:56 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2011 6:32:38 AM PDT
Sounds interesting. I'll check it out. Thx.

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 7:19:18 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 2, 2011 8:26:49 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 12:41:13 PM PDT
To Become Meaning- Melissa Jachetti

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 2:01:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 21, 2011 2:03:29 PM PDT
Nine Years After

A beautifully written and heartfelt true story written by a husband who has been forced to become his wife's full time caregiver because of her brain cancer. More than just a memoir the book asks common sense questions concerning the value of a human life in the contemporary United States.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2011 6:43:27 PM PDT
This one isnt about foster care, but it was about a very troubled girl- The Sunset Strip Diaries by Amy Asbury about the lost teens in L.A.

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 1:07:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 22, 2011 6:17:04 PM PDT
Booksalot says:
"The Taconic Tragedy A Son's Search for the Truth".
The accident from two years ago, drunk and high wrong way mom kills eight, interesting new details,
sounds like a cover up now!

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 12:09:46 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 23, 2011 1:23:43 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 4:21:12 PM PDT
If you want to read a page turner of a memoir read Breaking Down Walls: Traits of a Survivor by Elke HawthorneBreaking Down Walls

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 6:02:06 PM PDT
Check out Enlightenment-What's it Good For and Holy Hippies and the Great-Round-The-Country, Save-The-World, School Bus Caravan...Books 1 & 2 of my nonfiction trilogy, Voluntary Peasants Save the World. Book 1 is my backstory through the 50s into the sixties, working as a UPI reporter and discovering beatniks in Greenwich Village with my high school buddy, who grew up to be actor, Peter Coyote, adventures at Woodstock, LSD, Zen. Book 2 continues the search to Haight-Ashbury, finding a spiritual teacher, going "down the rabbit hole," transforming and travelling around the country in a 90-bus hippie caravan/peace tour and search for promised land...the genesis of The Farm Community, America's most famous commune and recipient of the Alternative Nobel Peace Prize.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2011 7:01:33 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 12, 2011 8:33:40 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 24, 2011 3:43:12 PM PDT
Judith Land says:
If you want to breathlessly anticipate a new revelation at the end of each chapter read "Adoption Detective" Memoir of An Adopted Child by Judith Land with Martin Land.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2011 3:45:57 PM PDT
Judith Land says:
I was in a foster home for a year before I was adopted and you can read all about it in my book entitled"Adoption Detective" Memoir of An Adopted Child.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2011 2:04:27 PM PDT
Ganz meine Gedanken. Ich bin im Osten ausserhalb von Berlin aufgewachsen und bin, unter Schuesse geflohen. Habe eine verruecktes Leben hinter mir und immer wieder erstaunt wenn junge Menschen eine Bildungsluecke zugeben und erstaunt sind wenn ich erzaehle von Kommunismus und die Mauer. Ich wuerde alle auch gerne zum waehlen bringen, denn wie Sie schon sagten "Keine Gesellschaft is immune, wenn arglistige Politiker die Notlagen eines Volkes ausnutzen". Meine Mutter erzaehlte mir viel wie es im WWII zuging, ueberhaupt zum Ende in Berlin. Mein Buch heisst: Breaking Down Walls: Traits of a SurvivorBreaking Down Walls aber es faengt von 1942 an

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 7:56:18 PM PDT
Bookish NZ says:
Goodbye Sarajevo: A True Story of Courage, Love and Survival has had rave reviews in several international newspapers and also on Facebook. Brilliantly written and a compelling true story of survival written by two sisters. The tone is factual, and yet positive. The #1 Bestseller International Non-Fiction in NZ over recent weeks. They also have a FB page: www.facebook.com/goodbyesarajevo

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 4:31:08 PM PDT
Real-I-am says:
In My Mind's Eye, by Justin Marciano

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 7:30:25 PM PDT
My autobiography "Expendable Elite - One Soldier's Journey Into Covert Warfare" was challenged in Federal Court by the Special Forces Association (I assume that the CIA and Pres. George H.W. Bush inspired this action) in January 2006 and my publisher and I won the court battle, proving my book to be true. Included were details on the CIA's Walter Mackem asking me to ambush and kill then Cambodian Crown Prince Norodum Sihanouk. When I refused and kicked Mackem out of my camp he warned me of CIA action against me and, within a few days, an ARVN regiment of over 1,000 men was sent (with U.S. Advisors) to wipe out my Special Forces Camp at An-Phu, South Vietnam. I then tell of ARVN Lieutenant General Quang Van Dang coming to our rescue after telling then President Ky that he was taking over the situation. I believe I am the first American to go against the CIA and President Bush in Federal Court and win the victory.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2011 10:41:07 PM PDT
Nancy says:
"They Cage the Animals at Night", by Jennings Michael Burch

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 4:35:37 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 5, 2011 4:36:30 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (159 discussions)

ARRAY(0xa3d342c4)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  210
Total posts:  283
Initial post:  Jul 1, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 47 customers

Search Customer Discussions