Customer Discussions > Biography forum

Looking for a good memoir

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 283 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 15, 2011 2:40:35 AM PDT
Chris Thrall says:
Eating Smoke: One Man's Descent into Drug Psychosis in Hong Kong's Triad Heartland - by Chris Thrall

. . . exemplary pacing, completely engaging tone, wealth of winning detail. Thrall uses such verve, enthusiasm and faultless comic timing that it is hard not to be swept along. China Morning Post

Eating Smoke: One Man's Descent into Drug Psychosis in Hong Kong's Triad Heartland

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 3:29:24 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 16, 2011 2:53:19 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 5:14:04 AM PDT
Without a Map by Meredith Hall is a great memoir. It takes you right into the author's experience, as if you're walking right along with her inside her mind as she falls into an emotional abyss and pulls herself out again. A great read!

Katherine Mayfield
Author, The Box of Daughter: Overcoming a Legacy of Emotional Abuse

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2011 8:46:21 AM PDT
David Hfloyd says:
Danke!

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 2:37:56 PM PDT
Carol Ryan says:
Right Now Is Perfect: A Romance, An Adventure, The Unexpected Thereafter, is for anyone who has dreamed of finding a soul mate, ditching a career, and sailing into the sunset. It is also for those more practical types who would rather read about it. While vicariously sailing aboard a 36 foot yacht, the reader discovers some of the most isolated and beautiful islands on earth-the Marquesas, the Tuamotos, Tahiti, Moorea, Huahine, Bora Bora, the Cook Islands, Samoa, American Samoa, Fiji, and New Zealand are the landfalls. The narrator and her free-spirited lover must adapt to living on land when the sailing adventure ends. Just when it seems they will live `happily ever after' an unexpected diagnosis throws everything into question.Right Now Is Perfect: A Romance, an Adventure, the Unexpected Thereafter

Posted on Sep 18, 2011 11:45:50 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 18, 2011 11:46:20 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 18, 2011 11:48:51 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 18, 2011 11:49:46 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 18, 2011 12:16:58 PM PDT
Tom Graves says:
Folks, you might want to check out my new ebook Blonde Shadow: The Brief Career and Mysterious Disappearance of Actress Linda Haynes. p.s. Linda Haynes is one of Quentin Tarantino's favorite actresses.

Posted on Sep 18, 2011 8:48:35 PM PDT
Ronald evans says:
Did you like The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri? Or Bricklane by Monica Ali? Or A Golden Age by Tahmima Anam? Well, Bengali Girls Don't is like Bricklane on Steroids, or like the namesake times 100. It's raw, powerful, and everything in it is true. It's like a fly-on-the-wall look inside a traditional Bengali Muslim home. "It's my story, my life. How I was tricked into leaving the UK shortly after my 15th birthday for Bangladesh and forced to marry a man old enough to be my father," says the author, L.A. Sherman. "It's sure to cause controversy, especially since my culture frowns on women writing about their personal lives and their culture and their religion. We all know how Ayaan Hirsi Ali has been treated. But please check it out and let me know what you think. All responses/emails/messages are welcome. :) Read it on your kindle, nook, iphone, ipad, android, blackberry, PC or in print." Bengali Girls Don't: Based on a True Story (Memoirs of a Muslim Daughter) Bengali Girls Don't: Based on a True Story http://www.facebook.com/L.A.ShermanOfficialPage

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 6:17:31 PM PDT
Navyvet says:
I would have to say George Kennan's "Memoirs 1925 - 1950". As one of the first U.S. diplomat's in the USSR and subsequent wartime duty in Vienna, Berlin, Lisbon, London and Moscow, it is a very good historical perspective about a side of WW2 that few can say they participated it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 7:01:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 19, 2011 8:51:09 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 9:10:03 AM PDT
Read my book" I've Got a Choice". I believe that you will enjoy it as it goes thru life's journey. Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2011 3:03:08 PM PDT
ReviewerNYC says:
This should be a good one. You can look Lucinda Ruh up on-line on her web-site, YouTube, or any where else. Great to read soon when it is released.
Frozen Teardrop: The Tragedy and Triumph of Figure Skating's Queen of Spin

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 5:30:34 AM PDT
Jaffo says:
Try Third Graders At War. It was written by a private who rode on a Bradley fighting vehicle in Desert Storm. Not your typical hollywood B.S.
I laughed a lot, and some of it was sad, but it tells it pretty bluntly, not for kids definitely.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 7:18:42 AM PDT
Here's a compelling memoir which I found critiqued in a medical magazine. Although it's about a physician, it's scarey and what happens could apply to anyone. Here's the beginning of the review:

"This book pulls no punches - nothing is sacred, nothing is left out! Katherine Klein M.D. gives us "the good, the bad, and the ugly" of her family-of-origin, her marital suffering, and her divorce, which landed her in Family Court and deprived her of participation in much of the lives of her young children....." This review was from a Ret. U.S. Army Medical Corps Col.

A Physician's Plight: A Memoir - Professional Success ... Personal Disaster. A must for those who like memoirs and nonfiction!

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 5:13:29 AM PDT
Pixie Jurden says:
The gripping and powerful memoir of Amy Montana, Dancing Through Midnight is a story of a woman who battles, abuse, cancer, suicidal depression, and death, supporting her three children as a single mother all while attempting to care for her mother, sliding into dementia. This book is a great read, underscored with humor, and is truely a survival story that is inspirational and shows her path to redemtion.

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 7:17:11 AM PDT
june carson says:
FEARLESS: JOHN L MCCLELLAN, UNITED STATES SENATOR is by far the BEST biography I have ever read!! Facinating! Thrilling! Action-packed!! This senator's life is so riveting that dramatic non-fiction fades in comparison! Great read for all history lovers and biography lovers!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011 7:59:53 AM PDT
Peg Ashman says:
[[ASIN:B005WVP3RW Inexplicable Grace - An Adoptee Journeys Home]

This chronicles my journey as an adoptee. In this work I explore growing up with the common story of my adoption as being "special." I embark on a search for my birth mother and attempt to reconcile the cultural traditions of my religious family with my natural instincts. My search has some amazing coincidental moments throughout which I illustrate as moments of grace. This work is funny and not and touching and irreverent. I am proud of it and so grateful it is completed! I hope you will read it and enjoy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011 8:01:54 AM PDT
Peg Ashman says:
Inexplicable Grace - An Adoptee Journeys Home I was in foster care briefly as a baby but have written this book as growing up as an adoptee and trying to find my way. It also chronicles the amazing journey of my search and reunion with my birth family. I hope you will enjoy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011 9:50:12 AM PDT
Bruce Wayne says:
This sounds a lot like my own Memoir...I didn't blame anything on my bipolar disorder though, choosing rather to focus more on the solutions and taking personal resposibility for my own actions. Check out my web site:
www.brucewaynebooks.com

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 10:01:13 PM PDT
Enchantika says:
<a href=http://www.amazon.com/Memoirs-Fighting-Dog-Keisha-Keenleyside/dp/1447862465/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 6:37:27 PM PST
Jeanne says:
I just read this book via Kindle after seeing your post, and I enjoyed it very much. After I read This Is US, I looked for more books by David Marin, and I found one, called He Shall Appear from Nowhere. I can't tell from the description if that book is an earlier version of This Is US or if it's a different book. If it's a different book, I'd like to read it. David, if you are David Marin, will you please respond to this and let me know. Thanks.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 9:10:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2011 11:42:11 PM PST
Please check out my memoir, Impaled on the Horns of the Devil: The Development of Vulnerability to an Abusive Marriage and check out the reviews given here on Amazon. It is my courageously honest story of my teen years, and my first and second marriages. I allowed my second husband to keep me in a morally destructive and abusive marriage. I finally was able to claim my freedom and met my third husband of more than 55 years. As I wrote the book, I began to question why I was vulnerable to a man whom I recognized as as representative of the devil. I conclude the book with these observatiions for consideration by the reader.
My readers tell me that it is a very sensitive, heart-wrenching read and that they were unable to put it down until they came to the satisfying end.

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 6:47:59 AM PST
Belkis says:
Read Cnversations with a Goat by Robert Shekter, can't get enough of it.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 4:33:47 PM PST
ReviewerNYC says:
Looking forward to reading the long awaited release of Lucinda Ruh's book "Frozen Teardrop". She is the most artistic figure skater ever to take the ice stage! The most accomplished and beautiful spinner (you must look up her videos on-line or on her website), you will be astonished when you see her spin. Simply an inspiration to all. What a great person. I plan on updating this review after I finish reading her book, but especially since I take notice that Lucinda wrote the book herself (not like others who hire a writer - no short-cuts for her), I am confident it will be an enjoyment to read. I am truly looking forward to reading her story.
The link to her newly released book is directly below;
Frozen Teardrop: The Tragedy and Triumph of Figure Skating's "Queen of Spin"
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (159 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  210
Total posts:  283
Initial post:  Jul 1, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 47 customers

Search Customer Discussions