Customer Discussions > Biography forum

A biography that is a true page turner.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 103 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 7, 2011 11:05:30 AM PDT
rvtjr says:
Read Strength Within Surviving by the Grace of God by Roland V Tyler Jr. Do not let the title fool you, it is a story that numeorus readers have been unable to put down. Imagine your entire life you lose everyone and everything around you.

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 6:03:16 PM PDT
Elizabeth says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 12:36:12 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 10, 2011 12:39:12 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 12:36:15 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 10, 2011 12:38:36 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 8:42:52 PM PDT
cedrick says:
Rodeo in Joliet by Glenn Rockowitz. Amazing!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 11:28:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 14, 2011 11:22:50 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 5:50:28 AM PDT
Will Donald says:
For a true page turner, try:

Escape: The true story of the only Westerner ever to escape from Thailand's Bangkok Hilton

This book is #3 in Amazon UK's Kindle Store for True Accounts. As the name suggests, its the true story of a guy who escaped from prison in Bangkok, Thailand. The book moves along at an incredible pace and you just have to keep on reading to see how he executes his escape. It's really quite amazing. Far better than "Prison Break" on TV and it really happened! You don't have to empathize with the author's chosen career -- he was a drug smuggler -- but you have to give him credit for escaping. The book features reviews from national newspapers in UK, Australia and Asia.

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 7:44:31 AM PDT
Real-I-am says:
In My Mind's Eye, by Justin Marciano

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 10:14:15 PM PDT
dudemusic says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 20, 2011 11:40:58 AM PDT
Newspaper Titan: The Infamous Life and Monumental Times of Cissy Patterson, by Amanda Smith

Reviews

"This book has it all: power, glamour, sex, war, and scandal. Amanda Smith has done a splendid job bringing the great newspaper publisher back to vivid life." -Jon Meacham

"[T]he spellbinding tale of the woman who followed the motto: "When your grandmother gets raped, put it on the front page." - PUBLISHERS WEEKLY

Posted on Aug 20, 2011 4:12:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2011 4:12:43 PM PDT
Jones says:
Try Laid Off by Chad Jones.

"If you've ever been laid off, you're probably familiar with the emotional toll it can take on one's psyche. Chad Jones does a very decent job of chronicling the experience, in a pleasant and light-hearted manner through the first 1/3 of the book. Then the narrative flips back in time to the beginning of Chad's career. It takes a little time, but he successfully ties things together at the end. It's not a super long book -- which is fine by me. In the book, Chad discusses his attempts to become a successful writer and judging by this book, I think he's probably on the right track! "

Laid Off

Posted on Aug 20, 2011 8:46:52 PM PDT
Joyce Bacon says:
A River of Dreams - Memoir of a Pathetic' Life by V. J. Brenbecker is the most powerful, riveting page-turner I have read in a long time. This man has been through so much in his life that it is amazing he is still standing. Read the description on the order page and you will learn more. Read this book. It will rip you apart and make you cry and yet his humor will fascinate you. And you will thank God that your life is what it is. Trust me...you do not want this man's life. My hat goes off to him for having the courage to write it and the strength to complete it. Very enthralling and it will keep your interest from start to finish.

Posted on Aug 20, 2011 11:49:34 PM PDT
Mack Mama says:

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 11:03:52 AM PDT
Avid Reader says:
The Sweet Annie Series by Joyce Bishop Morris...A true story about an American family that was here long before the signing of The Declaration of Independence..Ordinary people living extaordinary lives.

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 6:48:45 PM PDT
Tom Graves says:
Great discussion here. I would like to make you aware of my award-winning biography, Crossroads: The Life and Afterlife of Blues Legend Robert Johnson. He's a fascinating figure and the new Kindle edition features a new introduction by Steve LaVere as well as added materials and photographs.

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 5:31:38 AM PDT
Jaffo says:
Try Third Graders At War. It was written by a private who rode on a Bradley fighting vehicle in Desert Storm. Not your typical hollywood B.S.
I laughed a lot, and some of it was sad, but it tells it pretty bluntly, not for kids definitely.

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 7:20:32 AM PDT
june carson says:
FEARLESS: JOHN L MCCLELLAN, UNITED STATES SENATOR is by far the BEST biography I have ever read!! Facinating! Thrilling! Action-packed!! This senator's life is so riveting that dramatic non-fiction fades in comparison! Great read for all history lovers and biography lovers!

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 3:13:53 AM PDT
S. Simon says:
"Notes From The Sand" written by my late husband, stand-up comedian, about our Middle East travel adventures.

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 6:52:10 AM PST
Belkis says:
Read Converstions with a Goat by R. Shekter

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 11:35:11 PM PST

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 4:05:25 AM PST
Stargazer says:
I've read heaps of biographies, and every now and I find one that really blows my mind. If you haven't read Shania Twain's autobiography "From This Moment On," you have one helluva treat in store. I bought it on Kindle, and am reading it "as we speak". She came from northern Canada and took her step fathers name after he married her mother. Their lives were ones of poverty and tremendous hardship. Their inability to pay the rent facilitated lots of moves, lots of different schools, going to school without lunch, and wearing plastics bags on their feet before putting their shoes on to keep them dry. From a young age Eileen (later to become Shania) loved music, and started singing in public from a young age.
Her mother would spend hours running up phone bills they couldn't afford, in her quest to find places for her daughter to perform. Mrs Twain suffered terrible bouts of depression, no doubt exhausted from trying to find a way out of their endless hardship, and little Eileen's singing was a light of optimism in dark times.
I really liked her father - the man who took care of Shania and her siblings - he was a hard working, kind, gentle man, who like his wife, was driven to his wits end trying to find ways to make ends meet. They refused to accept any government assistance, and the saddest part was that neither parent lived to see Eileen - who became Shania just prior to her first album release - when they were killed in a car accident.
Twain herself comes across as a woman of strength, courage, and is principled. Trying to break into the music business was a tough time, and Shania met many men along the way who were prepared to help her - at a price. Her anger at these confrontations pours out of the pages. I can't recommend this autobiography too much - brilliant.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 4:25:30 PM PST
ReviewerNYC says:
Looking forward to reading the long awaited release of Lucinda Ruh's book "Frozen Teardrop". She is the most artistic figure skater ever to take the ice stage! The most accomplished and beautiful spinner (you must look up her videos on-line or on her website), you will be astonished when you see her spin. Simply an inspiration to all. What a great person. I plan on updating this review after I finish reading her book, but especially since I take notice that Lucinda wrote the book herself (not like others who hire a writer - no short-cuts for her), I am confident it will be an enjoyment to read. I am truly looking forward to reading her story.
The link to her newly released book is directly below;
Frozen Teardrop: The Tragedy and Triumph of Figure Skating's "Queen of Spin"

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 10:48:40 AM PST
Belkis says:
Converstions with a Goat by Robert Shekter

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 2:40:03 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 6, 2011 7:48:40 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 1:26:25 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 23, 2011 1:38:20 AM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  82
Total posts:  103
Initial post:  Aug 7, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions